Baalam Mukundam Manasaa Smaaraami ||7||
Aalokya Maatur-Mukham-Aadenna
Stanyam Pibantam Sarasii-Ruha-Akssam |
Sac[t]-Cinmayam Devam-Ananta-Ruupam

Baalam Mukundam Manasaa Smaaraami ||8||

venkatakailasam

Re: M.D. Ramanathan (MDR)

Post by venkatakailasam »

p-MDR 075-rAgam_tAnam_pallavi-kharaharapriyA.

http://mfi.re/listen/bjxq0a13sz00t1y/p- ... apriyA.mp3

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

M D Ramanathan On Face Book:

Request Join at :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1372837 ... =group_r2j

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

A documentary in Malayalam on Shri M.D. Ramanathan:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5WbL_5r3gw

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

BHARATHIYA SABHA, BOMBAY, 1962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt25ZCYqGsg

shanks

Post by shanks »

A rather interesting, sometimes seemingly disconnected video about MDR

https://youtu.be/HF-yugma6r8

bombal

Post by bombal »

bombay concert picture

liked Sri SRJ's reference to MDR saar in the documentary...

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

Can you tell me the timestamp at which this occurs? I couldnt find it...

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

Ashwin

Check around the 28th minute ,

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

Playlist of M.D.R songs by Prince Rama Varma,
to pay tribute to Sri MDR on his birth anniversary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOYBlNc ... GL7jWReAQt

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Found this reference in FB and it is interesting to read:
http://srutimag.blogspot.in/2015/06/md- ... shing.html

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/d7ov9qot8a7x7c6/mdr.MP3

MDR the Dance Master !!! A brilliant sequence of fine songs and a sombre, expansive conclusion

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

In a folder titled M D Ramanathan, the following clip resides in my hard drive. Not sure of the origin. The clip however, delightful as it is, is incomplete.Would anyone have the continuation? The other pieces in the folder are Ninnukori, Diwakara Tanujam, Tera tiyagaradha (Gowlipantu), Seethapathe and Samaja Vara Gamana

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/u15ohlo ... airavi.mp3

Purist

Post by Purist »

rahm221 wrote:In a folder titled M D Ramanathan, the following clip resides in my hard drive. Not sure of the origin. The clip however, delightful as it is, is incomplete.Would anyone have the continuation? The other pieces in the folder are Ninnukori, Diwakara Tanujam, Tera tiyagaradha (Gowlipantu), Seethapathe and Samaja Vara Gamana

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/u15ohlo ... airavi.mp3

You can find it in Sangeethapriya. Here is the link :http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... _Concert1/

(Concert ID 00-C0097.)

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

Thanks Purist, even in Sangeethapriya, the Balagopala krithi ends abruptly. There is a lot more to it and that is what I am after if available anywhere.

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

Fortunately I have the full version of the song Balagopala by MDR from the same folder and it is 65.5 MB (runs for 60 minutes). I do not know how to make the mp3 file available to interested members in the forum. Please let me know how to do it.

Meenalochani

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

Meenalochani

That would be wonderful to have. Can you upload that to mediashare, the site is www.mediashare.com and once it is uploaded , that would give you a link to be shared. You can just copy that link here and others would be able to download from that link

regarrds

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

Advitin

I do not know about anything about ' mediashare' whether or not I have to become a member in that site. The song is currently in my Dropbox and Google drive and it may be possible to share it from there. The file I think is too big to send by gmail.
Please let me know the alternatives.

Meenalochani

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

Advaitin or anybody else,

I can e-mail the balagopala link to anybody from my Dropbox. For this I need the e-address if someone is willing to give me.

Thanks.

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

Thanks Meenalochani, please send it to rahm221@yahoo.com

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

Also, would you have the remaining pieces of the concert by any chance?

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

Meenalochani

Kindly mail to mdrfan@gmail.com as well
thanks very much

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

rahm221,

Did you receive the link for Balagopala song by MDR which I e-mailed to you this morning? Please let me know.
Also to answer your question, the remaining songs in this folder are as follows:

MDR2 163,154,701
01_NINNU_KORIYUNNANURA_NIKH.mp3 9,976,992
02_DIVAKARA_TANUJAM_JNANAIS.mp3 13,152,452
04_SITAPATE_NA_MANASUNA_SID.mp3 27,260,655
05_SAMAJA_VARA_GAMANA_SADHU.mp3 11,337,453
06_BALAGOPALA_PALAYASHU_MAM.mp3 65,474,698
07_SLOKAM.mp3 17,370,166
08_NANDA_GOPA___KAPI.mp3 6,301,536
09_NA_DHRU_DHIM_DHIM_TANA_D.mp3 4,373,213
10_MANGALAM.mp3 7,907,536

Meenalochani

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

Hi Meenalochani,

Thanks, I was able to download Balagopala. This seems to be a different concert however.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Things are getting quiet here .
Time for a nice lecture clip
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/kppe9fn ... ions-2.mp3

And a concert clip, that the lecture reminded me of. For various reasons
http://www.mediafire.com/download/atijp ... 281%29.mp3

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

thank you so much, i might have lecture with me, what does he talk about ?

please do keep posting !!! we can't be silent as silence is essentially his music ! meaningful pauses !! ahaa... besh besh...

varsha

Post by varsha »

PART OF one of his few lectures on Tigers Music at Vani Mahal

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Varsha: Thanks for the MDR speech clip. Forumites who are vidyarthis need to follow MDR's observations. Labored and leisurely the pace might be there is perfect sruthi alignment.Shows great respect and reverence for his Guru Tiger Varadachariar. That Tiger was very sparse and miserly in commenting/applauding performers till he is satisfied that it is no mere flash in the pan has been corroborated by no less eminent a person than Lalgudi Gopala Iyer(LGG-Father of Lalgudi Jayaraman). An anecdote which my late Father told me about an interaction between LGG and TIGER(having heard it from Gopala Iyer himself:

It seems when LGJ was about about 13 or 14 and got one of his early chances to play in Thiruvaiyaru festival,LGG was eager that Tiger(who had not heard lGJ play before) should listen and offer comments. Tiger initially demurred and tried to downplay LG's request using some excuse or other. Finally due to LGG's persistence,he agreed to listen to LGJ's playing. LGG was expecting after the performance that Tiger would volunteer his opinion. Tiger was mum and despite repeated prodding's from LGG would not say one way or other. Finally when Tiger was about to leave Thiruvaiyaru,LGG accosted him again and asked what he thought of the performance of LGJ. Tiger after a brief pause commented in Tamil ;IPPO ENNA AVASARAM"--(Where is the hurry meaning LGJ has to "marinate" before expecting plaudits).
LGG I believe told my father how right Tiger was in his assessment and that's why he (LGG) was so particular that any showers of praise on LGJ by admirers be completely preempted. It seems after a performance by LGJ the next day LGG would wait at his house entrance and if he sees any of his acquaintances at the end of the street walking towards his house -- presumably to inform how LGJ had played the night before-- would preempt the visitor from complimenting LGJ profusely saying it should not go to the young man's head!!!

Likewise LGJ was also sparse in his praise of "prodigies" brought before him till such time he was convinced it was genuine.

There is something to be learned from these anecdotes that false ill-informed and premature praise can be more detrimental to a musician's progress than harsh but true criticism without bias or prejudice.

Unfortunately MDR like his contemporaries--KVN,Ramnad Krishnan,TMT--happen to form the next generation following the ARI-CHEMBAI)MUSIRI_SSI_GNB_MM ALATHUR GENERATION who dominated the music scene till the early sixties(by that time MDR et al had been in their forties--so that in their formative years their chances were scarce. Unfortunately MDR died young--so did Ramnad Krishnan.

There is so much one can learn from MDR--be it tradition or sincerity or Guru Bhakthi.

VARSHA thanks again for the clips.

varsha

Post by varsha »

It was my pleasure , Sir .

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

MDR is specific that raga and sahitya meaning must mesh together in singing; the current 'greats' differ!

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote: the visitor from complimenting LGJ profusely saying it should not go to the young man's head!!!

Likewise LGJ was also sparse in his praise of "prodigies" brought before him till such time he was convinced it was genuine.

There is something to be learned from these anecdotes that false ill-informed and premature praise can be more detrimental to a musician's progress than harsh but true criticism without bias or prejudice.

Unfortunately MDR like his contemporaries--KVN,Ramnad Krishnan,TMT--happen to form the next generation following the ARI-CHEMBAI)MUSIRI_SSI_GNB_MM ALATHUR GENERATION who dominated the music scene till the early sixties(by that time MDR et al had been in their forties--so that in their formative years their chances were scarce.
Off topic, mods, feel free to move this,

So where is the line between encouraging / appreciating and premature praise? For example, your own comments from Aiswarya's concert goes against everything you say above.
It was an excellent concert --both myself and Nirmala were amazed at how fast she has improved. The repertoire of songs--vintage MS Amma's--the lalitha alapana, the Annamacharya pieces--Kamas,shanmughapriya--were all rendered with sensitivity(it is amazing how from hearsay she has imbibed the best of her Great Grandmother--Radha has done an awesome job to train her in the true spirit of the MS Amma Bani--the voice was pleasing and the sruthi suddham was perfect. As Nirmala put it, to mount the stage as MS Amma's Great Granddaughter(with all the expectations associated with it) itself is a herculean task, Even the pleasing appreciative nods at Narmada for her execution-- were reminiscent of MS Amma. Aishwarya's stage persona matched Radha 's and MS Amma's--no fuss. At every step it was evident Aishwarya was coached superbly by Radha.( Cienu, I was eagerly awaiting the meteoric flash sangathis in the Kamas and Shanmughapriya pieces that Radha used to launch,but Aishwarya downplayed it in deference to her mother-in-law!!!! ). Aishwarya will go places with her passion,sincerity and wariness of being the torch-bearer of the MSS tradition--not an easy legacy to inherit and transmit.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

It is my experience that those who are in great lineage and especially in the case of Aiswarya,praise and encouragement is plenty.Some times due to intimacy with the parents of such children,people give more credit than due.The same thing will not be the case to another equivalent artist with no lineage.
Perhaps in older days this was not so mainly because the publicity was difficult and also due to very strict evaluation.
I request you to excuse as this thread is not related Sri M D Ramanathan-the topic.

CRama

Post by CRama »

pattamaa wrote: please do keep posting !!! we can't be silent as silence is essentially his music ! meaningful pauses !! ahaa... besh besh...
Meaningful pauses- There is a very good book titled Meaningful pauses on MDR compiled and edited by Madhu Vasudevan. It has got articles on MDR by UKS. T.N.Krishnan, Mrs. MDR, Vellore Ramabhadran, B.V.Raman and Lakshmanan, T.R.Rajamani, Prine Rama Varma, Krishnamurthy (ardent bhaktha of MDR who conducts MDR Remembrance day every year in Tripunithura) 232 pages in good lay out, paper and print, costing Rs.550/- Published by DCBooks, Kottayam.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Though I have not come across the book, I understand from CRama that it was published some 6 years ago. All articles are in English (many of them translations).

I wonder why it has not received wide attention.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

i do have the book, i used the title of the book deliberately !! i need to hunt for the book, may be someone took it from me :(

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Can some one share MDR singing Deva deva kalayamithe - I have heard other mmg numbers of MDR like meru samana but not this. ??

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

https://www.mediafire.com/?6rcq6f8ac8wczw6

lovely music, with some humor in between

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

varsha wrote:PART OF one of his few lectures on Tigers Music at Vani Mahal
What about the remaining parts?

varsha

Post by varsha »

PART OF one of his few lectures on Tigers Music at Vani Mahal
corrected to
PART OF one of his few lectures on Tigers Music at Vani Mahal that has survived
Remaining parts not available with me, :evil:

I can compensate with a lecture at IFAS though ;)

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

M.D. Ramanathan's style is like that of a meandering river, a free spirit going right where the inspiration took him. From a rasika's point of view, MDR is a musician's musician and it is not so easy for even habitual listeners of CM to warm up to his style. It was my teacher who gave me a big set of MDR and told me that I must be able to listen to his music. It was unlike anything else at first, it was a test match to listen to him. I mean just listen to this 1 hour long recording of Begada : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVW2KwLk42U

Eventually I realized that beyond those meanders, those eccentric groans, sometimes wandering off to break the fourth wall and explaining stuff to the audience and sometimes extreme tempos (sometimes MDR despite being known for his slow tempos would go blitzkrieg on a krithi that could be sung more leisurely), MDR was a truly extraordinary musician who basically floated in a world where only music seemed to exist and the experience of "nadam" was above everything else -- his music was otherworldly and the usual rules and expectations wouldn't work with him.

My grandfather would also comment on the greatness of MDR's music and tell me how he had seen the respect with which accompanists would follow him. The wealth of what you could get from listening to him is invaluable to a music student, but it is not for the impatient rasika whose attention span is only a few minutes.

MDR was one musician whose level of "rakti" in his raga singing was in a class of it's own. The raga literally felt like it came alive. His unique bass voice with great power and range is a one of a kind thing, I don't think we're ever going to get that again in CM. But again, the raga bhava and colours of gamaka that he brought in his singing is incredible.

He is also a prolific composer. I also began to appreciate his creativity as a composer after I heard his own chittaswaram in kEdAram for Thyagaraja gurum AshrayE -- never heard anything at that level except the Pancharatnams. I could go on and on the more I keep listening to him....which I should be getting back to without further delay. :ugeek:

dipukaruthedam

Post by dipukaruthedam »

Not sure if the below links is already shared here. Anyway, sharing it

https://shankarkrish.wordpress.com/musi ... amanathan/

Quite a large collection of concerts.

Just listened to the one titled "With Chalakudy Narayanaswamy & Umayalpuram Sivaraman - Listening to his bhairavi swarajati in this specific concert today is as enthralling it was almost 30 years ago". As commented already in that page, the Bhairavi alapana is something out of the world! Can't get over it at all! Try for yourself :-)

varsha

Post by varsha »

indeed !!!
mdr .. a thousand years from now , any mdr recording will unfurl as though it is about to happen.
such a nascent quality to him.

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

I saw a reference to a 1955 concert of MDR in the comments by rasikas in the website given below.

Is this concert available in the public domain?

https://shankarkrish.wordpress.com/musi ... amanathan/

CONCERT: MD025 M.D.RAMANATHAN
Violin LALGUDI G.JAYARAMAN
Mrudangam PALGHAT MANI IYER
Ghatam T.H.VINAYAKRAM
Date 01-01-1955

Krithi Ragam Thalam Composer Remarks
1 VIRIBONI – (V) BHAIRAVI (20-J) ATA PACHIMIRIYAM ADIAPPIAH
2 VATHAPI GANAPATHIM HAMSADWANI (29-J) ADI DIKSHITAR
3 NINNU VINAGA MARI POORVIKALYANI (53-J) CHAPU SHYAMA SASTRY
4 BHAJANA SEYAVE O MANASA KEDARAM (29-J) RUPAKAM AANAI AYYA
5 ENDARO SREE (22-J) ADI THYAGARAJAR
6 MOKSHAMU GALADA SARAMATI (20-J) ADI – 2 KALAI THYAGARAJAR
7 R.T.P. SANKARABARANAM (29) TISRA TRIPUTA
8 T H A N I AVARTHANAM
9 SLOKAM RAGAMALIKA
10 KANAKA SABHAI SURATI (28-J) JAMPA GOPALAKRISHNA BHARATHI
11 THILLANA KAANADA (22-J) ADI
12 M A N G A L A M

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

In the following concert of MDR, the kruthi in the Kalyani raga is not complete.

If anyone has the complete version of the above AIR concert, kindly share the same.

Thanks and regards.

Sri.MD Ramanathan
Sri Lalgudi G Jayaraman and
Sri. Umayalpuram K Sivaraman

1.Vanajasana - Sri - subbaraya Sastri
2.Samajavaragamana - Hindolam
3.Mohanamayi - Yajukulakambhoji - Swathi Tirunal
4.Kamalambam - Kalyani - Muthuswamy Dikshitar (incomplete)

mdrbalaji

Post by mdrbalaji »

Dear rasikas,

We invite you in celebrating the legacy and music of Shri. MDR on June 17, 2018 at Ragasudha Hall, Mylapore Chennai.

Here are the details of the program.

“Vandeham Varadadasam”
Celebrating the music of Shri. M D Ramanathan

Sound, Music and Meaning in MDR’s art
Special Presentation by
Vidwan Dr. Sriram Parasuram

Sunday June 17, 2018 at 5:15 PM

Vocal Concert by
Shri. Ramakrishnan Murthy
Violin – Shri. Mysore Srikanth
Mridangam – Shri. J Vaidyanathan
Kanjira – Shri. K V Gopalakrishnan

Sunday June 17, 2018 at 6:45 PM

Venue : Ragasudha Hall, Mylapore

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Here, MDR elaborates his own composition in khamAs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvmVrEEguqc

A truly meditative experience.

Guruguha24

Post by Guruguha24 »

Do anyone have the clear version of the MD Ramanathan's Navarati Mandapam concert (Accompanied by Lalgudi Jayaraman). recording that I have is muffled one.

Here is list of Kriti that was presented in the concert:

varNam – nATa
pAhi sripathE – hamsadwani
smara mAnasa – darbAr
satatam tAvaka – karaharapriyA
bhArathi mAmava – tOdi
vihara mAnasa rAmE – kApi
mangalam

arunachalampartha

Post by arunachalampartha »

In the book "Meaningful Pauses", there is a very emotional narrative on MDR, by a certain "RGK". No further details are given of this person. Any idea who this might be?