Sudha Ragunathan

Carnatic Musicians
Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

What about the Melody Queen Smt. Sudha Ragunathan? No one has said anything about her. Smt. Sudha Ragunathan undoubtedly is one of the most busiest artists in the Carnatic Music circles today. Does anyone have any old recordings of hers that are not available in the market? I am also interested in hearing some of her disciples.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

As a rule, recordings of current atristes are NOT uploaded here due to possible copyrights infringement. Requests will not be entertained. So dont request and be disappointed.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

It will be nice if newly registered members spend some time getting acquainted with the forum and reading the rules at the top of the Homepage

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

Dear drshrikaanth I apologize for not reading the ground rules before writing this post.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Hope you enjoy your sojourn here. There are heaps of topics for you to savour, discuss and participate. Have a good time.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Having said what DRS pointed out
Biographies, anecdotes, concert experiences, appreciation etc of current artistes are quite relevant and can be freely discussed here. Feel free to discuss your views of Sudha here!

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

Excluding anything with Audio music, I just thought that it would be important to shine some light on Smt. Sudha Ragunathan on this board. Smt. Sudha Ragunathan sings so well and has captured the hearts of so many rasikas around the world. All Smt. Sudha Ragunathan's kutcheris are so good too. I wish her all the best. Has anyone heard her disciples? I heard Smt. Sangeetha Swaminathan two years ago in Chennai during the Season. She was simply superb. I have heard that Smt. Sudha Ragunathan has other disciples who sing very well too. It would be interesting to hear about them as well.

angirasv

Post by angirasv »

Hi

Mahesh

Post by Mahesh »

Two things come to mind.

- Once I heard a recorded concert of her somewhere in Canada. She sang Ninnu Kori - Mohanam varnam in 3 speeds. It is one of the best rendetions of the varnam I've heard, well part from the MDR one with MSG.

- Live performance of SR in Ayodhya Mandapam, and it was packed. And she should ahev got a bout 300 hadn written chits. She started at 7 and the concert finished at 1pm. She even said Good Morning when it was midnight and then said it was a pleasure for her to sing in Ayodhya Mandapam and would sing all the songs requested ...nice of her to do that. Her Baaro Krishnayya that day reminded me of her esteemed guru Dr MLV.
Last edited by Mahesh on 22 Sep 2006, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

I think she has a concert in Phoenix on the 27th Oct.... details for those who want it:

http://rasikas.org/calendar.php?view=ev ... 2006.10.27

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Just went to add it to the calender, saw that the admin had added it in already... thanks...

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Sudha's extensive Poorvikalyani alapanas can sound very much like MLV. Others have commented that she sings Dikshithar's "Sri Vishwanatham" exceptionally well, precisely like MLV.

For the people who don't enjoy heavy CM, her rendition of items in Brindavani seem to create sparks of excitement.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Jayashri - you are right to say that Sudha is the reigning Melody Queen of Carnatic music. She has reached this position by being able to satisfy both connoisseurs and the masses. Characteristic of the GNB school, her alapanas have incredible depth and are developed in a very logical step-by-step manner. She is very adept at kannaku and I remember her once demonstrating a pancha-nadai pallavi.

Another important feature of her music is her meticulous concert planning.

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

I heard that her brother Prasad Venkataraman is a regular performer in Chennai giving Carnatic Music Concerts. Is he a disciple of Smt. Sudha Ragunathan?

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

Does anyone know of her student S. Ramya is singing during the upcoming season? My two daughters are going to Chennai for the upcoming Season and would really like to attend her concert.

meena

Post by meena »

Jayashri

PLEASE lookup http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1269 for artists schedules

sbala

Post by sbala »

Interesting experiment! Pray to god it isn't something like pettai rap!

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2007/06/07/stor ... 560500.htm

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

"Says Sudha Raghunathan: “For the first time, I have sung a rap song with Western notes.â€

vijay

Post by vijay »

Nothing wrong with a bit of adventurism but I can't imagine any classical musician singing rap with a straight face...least of all someone as acccomplished as Sudha. BTW here's an article on her Hamsadhwani concert

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/06/08/stor ... 590300.htm

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Rap can be quite attractive with its rhyming and poetry and if I may, frankness in expression. But most people only know the gutter level (c)rap with the abominable lyrics and the lewd videos for them.

My guess is Sudha's rap would only be a hop, skip and a jump from a song like 'Ayya saami aavojee saami' :P

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

our 'tiruppugazh' is a potential stock for rap in my opinion. and several portions of 'kuttrala kuravanji'

arasi

Post by arasi »

Stretch your imagination a bit, and brahmam okaTE kadA could be divine rap :)
Last edited by arasi on 08 Jun 2007, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

i dont like rap... thats why i dont listen to sudha.

jnaanasoonyam

Post by jnaanasoonyam »

i dont like crap... thats why I don't listen to sudha :D

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

I am sure MLV would have given a rap
on her knuckles, if she was still with us.
:D
Last edited by coolkarni on 08 Jun 2007, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Quite a 'sweeping' statement, jnaana...:/
Last edited by arasi on 08 Jun 2007, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

hee hee Kji good one.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

arasi wrote:divine rap :)
A lil intoxication and it will become Hindu Reggae. :lol:

kadambam

Post by kadambam »

Sudha talks about a film song that she has sung recently for a new tamil film "Satham Podadhe"
http://sifymax.com/bbhome/max_popup.php ... 7-128k.wmv

She keeps refering to Yuvan Shankar Raja as Yuvan 'Sir' repeatedly... Sudha is senior in vidwat and age, don't know if it was humility.. but one statement where she lost me is 'Yuvan is a musical genius'...though i haven't heard much of the recent songs, i don't know if he really qualifies that status from an accomplished singer!!!

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Not Accomplished singer, accomplished composer.

YSR has got a long way to go to become "accomplished". Few of his songs are good. To name one song in paruththi veeran (if you closely follow Tamil movies...).

Coming to Rap, crap- It is a Trap. Sudha must have rendered this "Brahmamukhate of Annamacharya" in 90% of the concerts. This is rasikas request. It is a fashion today to go with the chit once he/she finishes the third song.
Previously it was after RTP. Another Rap is OVK's Thillana popularised by Aruna Sairam (termed as lady somu (Pombalai somu) by Kanimozhi, daughter of CM) uploaded in youtube. we are minority ..

One adv, we can get out of the hall once RTP is over..

Could not resist telling the SSI joke- In a recenlty released commercial release with Chowdiah and VR, SSI making this comments, when a chit was given- "Naan enna cinema Nadigaya, ivvalvu seettu kodukkarele" (Am I a cine actress, giving so many chits ") !!!!
Last edited by grsastrigal on 12 Jun 2007, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

There are plenty of traditional CM concerts going on in town all the time. If a particular kind of concert does not appeal to us, we don't have to attend them. Or, if we like the performer's music upto RTP, we could still go but leave promptly after that. The interesting thing that happens in the kind of concert you describe grs--aren't there two or more sets of audience? One wanting the concert to be CM, CM, the other hoping it would all be less of CM and more of ranjakam of a lighter variety, and yet another which likes something in between? That is why, what we discussed on the sangeetham BB once is relevant in this context. I think it was about a popular CM vocalist on a concert tour in Singapore. When an artiste belongs to all categories (is proficient in all), isn't it a good idea to know ahead of time what kind of fare the singer has in mind for that particular concert ? Of course, if it is a Music Academy concert, you can be sure it is going to be CM, CM. Atleast, the performers deliver serious CM concerts there and in a few other places. I may be totally wrong, but could one think of some names for labeling, like 'melliSAi' concert, iDAi iSai (in between) concert and traditional concert, so that rasikAs know what is offered that day by the performers who are well versed in alll? It would be a relief to rasikAs of all kinds to know what they are in for. What I am saying sounds a bit silly (to me as well), but I do have a point, don't I? The performers themselves could think about it and come up with some ideas. After all, they would like to have an audience which responds without reservations.
I want to emphasize that I have no prejudices about different kinds of music or of audience. I am open to all kinds of music. However, when I go to a CM performer's concert, I look forward to a pukka cocert, RTP and all. ThukkaDAs too, but all in right proportion.
Strange as it all sounds, wouldn't it help if we could decide on reading the paper in the morning and see: Smt. Good at all genres presents a '----' concert this evening. melliSai, middle iSai (iDai iSAi) or an all CM concert? I bet there are better labels for each kind.
After all, don't we get ratings for movies which helps a great deal about choosing the family's evening outing?
Last edited by arasi on 12 Jun 2007, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Good suggestion, Arasi Madam!But,we'll have to see if it is practical.To an extent,the surprises in a concert have their own beauty. Regarding going away after the main piece/RTP, well, I don't quite agree.It is okay once in a while but to make it a habit does not seem quite right! After all,some respect must be given to the artiste.If we liked 75% of the concert,why not just sit thorugh the remaining 25%
Sathej

arasi

Post by arasi »

Well, I like surprise pieces too, as you say; but what kind? I do take a chance and go to a given multi-talented performer's concert every now and then. Out of the three hours, I hear 45 minutes of two excellent kritis with rAgA and (or) niraval and swarAs. I do sit through the rest of the concert but would I go back to that particular excellent performer's concert the next time she sings in town? No. It takes a while to muster up enough enthusiasm to listen to this very talented but--as far as I am concerned--can be disappointing performer. By the same token, other sets of rasikAs may feel cheated if they come with the expectations of listening to a fluff concert and end up with an RTP. While these artistes are gifted enough to don different hats, we as rasikAs need an indication as to what we can expect. Sometimes, the venues, the sponsors and ticket prices give us a clue, I agree. The handful of these performers who practise different modes of music can ask the organizers to publicize their concert in a way that we can understand what kind of music is going to be presented that day--classical CM, semi classical or an in-between mixture of both.
When they started labeling the ingredients in food products, life became easier. By reading what is written on the packages, we instantly know if they contain things which we don't care for, are allergic to, can do without, and so on. Once we know what exactly awaits us, we can heave a sigh of relief and then hope that the performer is in a good mood, good voice and that the accompanists are good too...

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

When an artist sings the SAME thukkadas at the end of almost all concerts, I DO WONDER if these are REALLY the rasikas' requests or they are just fillers of the artist's choice/repertoire. Afterall most of the 'requested' thukkadas by the same artist are available in prerecorded albums. This is the reason why I stay away from concerts by flute Ramani, Saxaphone Kadri, TVS ( his whole concerts are complere repeats many times), Sudha Ragunathan and l have regretted having missed an excellent RTP or Krithi after reading the review later ! Attend or not attend and you may regret either way !

arasi

Post by arasi »

Exactly!
You covered the same old thukkaDA set bit which I left out. To attend or not to attend. My! that's the question which I ask myself too when it comes to these luminaries. Then I take myself to a concert where tradition prevails but the journey is exciting into uncharted territories and the repertoire is rich and varied...

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

Even a Vidwan of Shri TMK's calibre is repetitive when it comes to tukkudas. SApasyat, Irakkam varAmal, Sri rAmacandra, mOdijese/nArimani etc. Not complaining though. Love the way he sings. It reminds me of Shri. KVN who used to render varugalAmo aiyyA in almost every kutcheri and the entire audience would burst into tears.
-bhaktha
Last edited by bhaktha on 13 Jun 2007, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Let me clarify. Though I touched on the thukkaDAs, I had the whole concert in mind. ThukkaDAs do get repeated here and there (this is where performers, after their heavy pieces relax, and wonder about what the listeners are expecting as the concluding pieces. There are chits too (we are to be blemed for that, asking for what we can hear on reordings). However, I wish the performers would add to their tukkaDA collection, so that we don't have to listen to the same old pieces every time. One easy way for them to gain more of our appreciation...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Writeup of sudha's recent concert at carnatica's utsav
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/11/13/stor ... 200200.htm

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

I understand this musician has a humane side to her as well...! The papers spoke about her flagging off a rally for the sexually abused children and she seems to have done some charitable work during the Give India's joy of giving week with a charity concert. Really very nice to see such gestures from the music fraternity

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Talking about chits...
it seems there is an inverse correlation between the number of chits sent in at a concert and the 'depth' of the concert.

I would even hazard a related statement > inverse correlation between # of chits and the 'depth' of the artiste him/herself. Once you set up an image as a serious vs thukkada artiste, audience also decide whether to send in chits or not.

No guesses as to who are solid artistes on this metric. :)

CRama

Post by CRama »

Hai music lovers and really knowledgeable rasikas. I am a new entry to this forum, but very keenly listening music for many decades. I have been reading the opinions in this forum regularly but only now I mustered some courage to contribute.
Regarding the tukkads in the concerts, it should be in the right proportion. In a two and half hour concert, it can be for 30 minutes and not more irrespective of the number of chits. Secondly, by our own experience, we will know what to expect from whom and we attend the concerts accordingly. We need not waste our time and energy for attending the artistes whom we are not able to enjoy. But we cannot change them.Because there is another lot who are attending the concerts only because of some particular reason-like tukkadas or abhangs or other light pieces.

mohan

Re: Sudha Ragunathan

Post by mohan »

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article564846.ece

Re: the last sentence .... I think it is long overdue that Carnatic music got introduced into Corporation schools!

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

We want to expose the children to some fine sounds so that it refines them,
Wonder how much time she has spent in Corporation schools before arriving at the composition of this statement.

A friend who is a well known author-theatre activist- and so many other things rolled into one (Gnani Sankaran), took the step of enrolling his son in a Corporation school even though he could have afforded any other school in Chennai.
We were neighbours too and I watched with amazement how the lad progressed well in his school , brought home timid friends , took up a vocational hobby of photography quite early , earned his upkeep by the time he was in high school ( shooting the videos of marriage functions ) , paid his way through cinematography degrees and now assists a prominent director in bollywood.
Want to meet such a father ?
Read the Times of India of 9th Aug and you will come across an article about him, having weekly discussions around an old fashioned well in KK Nagar -
Closer home, I found Corporation School Principal teachers and students to be far more refined in handling issues related to disability.They would all accept my son without a second thought while the so called refined schools would look the other way.
My point is that there is no question of refining anybody . It is a highly condescending statement.

And THIS is the biggest problem with Carnatic Music and its practitioners , as I have seen . Seeing themselves at the pinnacle of... and the rest being down lower.
I speak from experience , but will elaborate more on the thread about stagnation
If I were Sudha R I would have just said
We are planning to introduce Carnatic music in Corporation schools. Corporation Schools first because I find the largest base there.Not sure how many of them know about this art. Anyway some exposure would not do any harm I guess.I have personally benefited from these refined sounds.I would like to just pass it on " she signs off.

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Dear Sir,

This reflects how much of "Refinement" the musician has got through music in her life :lol:

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

No. I did not mean all that. I was only trying to highlight the importance of being correct in these days .
It is a very thin line .
The Dasa who sang ..... Huttu Kurudano would be out of step too, with our times.
Or the Dasa who sang
Makkalillada Siriyu , Kolethu Thengina Thuriyu.
Just a question of getting sensitised and sensitising others.

cacm

Re:

Post by cacm »

bhaktha wrote:Even a Vidwan of Shri TMK's calibre is repetitive when it comes to tukkudas. SApasyat, Irakkam varAmal, Sri rAmacandra, mOdijese/nArimani etc. Not complaining though. Love the way he sings. It reminds me of Shri. KVN who used to render varugalAmo aiyyA in almost every kutcheri and the entire audience would burst into tears.
-bhaktha
KVN'S Varugalamo,MMI's Eppovaruvaro, GNB'S Dkikku Teriyatha Kattil, MSS'S Katriniliae varum Geetham, DKP'S Eppadi Padinaro ARE ALL TIME CLASSICS RENDERED BY ALL TIME GREATS. There is VERY GOOD REASON why they moved the listeners to TEARS & ACTUALLY LISTENERS REQUESTED THEM TO render them in EVERY CONCERT. Actually in the case of MMI THE WHOLE CONCERT was REQUESTED ahead of time by his fans.
We should admire THEIR GENIUS in MAKING THEM EVERY TIME DIFFERENT& FRESH.....CAPITALS here are for EMPHASIS , disobeying Internet ettiquette etc is part of it; I am not angry or upset!....VKV

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

CACM: re; your comments about how certain thukkadas or Javalis or Padams remain fresh no matter how many times we hear them,I am quoting below a loose reproduction of a speech in Tamil given by Palghat Mani Iyer in Palghat in the Mid to late seventies.

"People say Ayyangarval eppodhum padinadiye than padarar-athey(same) Sri Subramanyaya Namaste. athey hariharaputram etc-- athuve padi padi merugu yeri kekkumbodu namakku pudhisa thonum"(repetition renders the polish to the song that after some time it will seem like a new song to us).

I still can listen to MMI's Eppo varuvaro or English note or Vellai Thamarai for the upteenth time and I can point to an young vidyarthi some nuances which most people would have missed despite several hearings!!

Ofcourse the TMK's and the Sanjays have their fan favorites--I liked Sanjay;s behag idu Thano Thilai Sthalam or karpooram narumo (Khamas).I am never tired of listening to them!!

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear MKR,
I am grateful to your better explanations!..........As you well know WE have known persons (to quote Late. S.Ramanathan who said TIGER lived& breathed Music & said he had the tickets but the train would not come -on his deathbed practically) who LIVED, THOUGHT, BREATHED as well as CONSTANTLY worked on how to make their presentation to the public as well as critics BETTER. THEY were incapable of WASTING their CREATIVE ENERGIES ON whether they have copyrights,recordings etc TRIVIALIZING the whole process of TRYING to reach their DIVINE POTENTIAL. I am glad I was able to watch Mali, MMI, GNB, PMI & several others ESP. ARI who WOULD NOT present a piece in public concert till he had rendered it AT LEAST a HUNDRED times himself in private ironing out kinks& coming up with creative improvements. I look forward to your SEM series. I STILL REMEMBER not just his ABILITY but his TOTAL COMMITMENT WITH PASSION TO HIS MUSIC& OUR COMPOSERS. SO MUCH all of us can learn from these great masters which can benefit our lives....VKV

musicdazzler

Re: Award for Smt. Sudha Ragunathan from Music Academy ..

Post by musicdazzler »

The Music Academy, Madras, in association with the Indira Sivasailam Endowment Fund, will organise during this year’s Navaratri season, a memorial concert by a renowned classical musician who will also be presented a medal and a citation. This annual event will recognise an outstanding Carnatic musician selected by a panel comprising of members from the Endowments Committee of the Academy and Mallika Srinivasan, Vice-Chairman, TAFE, and daughter of A. Sivasailam, Chairman, Amalgamations Limited, and the late Indira Sivasailam.

A unanimous choice, the first recipient of the award is Sudha Ragunathan. The selection was made on the basis of specific criteria which include excellence in performance, audience appeal, adherence to classical tradition while innovating within its framework, depth of knowledge and demonstrated efforts to disseminate knowledge and the ability to bring about a greater and deeper public appreciation of Carnatic music.

The event will be held at the Music Academy on October 15, 6 p.m. and open to all members of the Music Academy and other Invitees.