Prince Rama Varma

Carnatic Musicians
sweetsong

Re: Prince Rama Varma

Post by sweetsong »

Prince Rama Varma to give a lecture demonstration on compositions
of other composers, set to tune by Dr.M.Balamuralikrishna, at 8:30am
at Parthasarathy Swamy Sangeetha Sabha on December 25th.

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

New Year's Eve concert by
Prince Rama Varma,
Sri Mathur Srinidhi
Sri Bangalore Praveen
and
Sri Bharadwaj
at 6:30pm today
(Tuesday, the 31st of December) at
Sri surabharathi Sanskrit and Cultural Foundation
9 th C main
HRBR layout 1st Block,
Outer Ring Road,
Next to BWSSB water tank,
Kalyan Nagar
Bangalore.
Phone numbers
080 25452773 and

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

Varma ji's invite to the Swathi Sangeethotsavam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKbvRGJkC34&t=108s

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

Prince Rama Varma, Sri S.R.Vinu, Sri B.Harikumar, Dr.S.Karthick and Payyannur Sri Govindaprasad to perform at
Kuthiramalika Palace, East Fort, Thiruvanathapuram for the Swathi Sangeethotsavam at 6:00pm today.
Sunday, the 5th of January.

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

Informal Concert by
Prince Rama Varma with
Sri S.R. Vinu on the Violin
Sri B.Harikumar on the Mridangam
Dr.S.Karthick on the Ghatam
Payyannur Sri Govindaprasad on the Morsing
and
Sri Ananthapadmanabhan on the Tanpura at
The Levee Hall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVhFEG9wFPw
Opposite Priyadarshini Hall,
next to Sunil's Wax Museum,
East Fort,
Thiruvananthapuram,
at 6:00pm on Sunday the 19th of January.

Videos from a few previous editions.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... QpyW5xS3DL

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 70MYocNvWN

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

Prince Rama Varma with
Sri S.R.Vinu and Sri B.Harikumar,
to perform at 6:00pm on Saturday,
the 25th of January, at The Indian Music Experience,
Brigade Millenium Road,
J.P.Nagar, 7th Phase.
The event is organized by Visesha Fine Arts.
Phone number(s) +91 9902213050, +91 9902269976

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

Chinese New Year - January 25th, 2020

https://youtu.be/TinDGwaN4BE

RSR

Post by RSR »

@sweetsong
Dear Sir,
I have gone through all your posts in this section. Really impressed by the achievements of Prince Rama Varma.
I belong to old generation of 1935-1965. Most would agree that those two decades had very fine musicians written about so lovingly in the book 'Carnatic Summer'.
To mention a few names, we had Ariyakkudi Ramanuja Iengar, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Musiri Subramanya Iyer, SemmangudiSrinivasa Iyer, Madurai Mani Iyer, GNBalasubramanyam, Dandapani Desikar, VVSadagopan, Saathoor Subramanya Iyer, Smt.MS, Smt.DKP, Smt.NC Vasanthakokilam, Smt.MLV and many great Instrumentalists like TNRajarathnam Pillai, Flute Mali, Palladam Sanjeeva Rao, Karukurichi Arunachalam, AKC Natarajan, Emani Sankara Sastry , Karaikkudi Sambasiva Iyer, Gottuvadhyam Narayana Iengar, Chowdaiya, and many lesser known musicians of great merit.
Unfortunately, their music is locked up either in AIR archives or private tapes or 78 rpm records.
Great veterans like Raju Asokan, UKSharma3 and APKoil N Saptha Gireesan are placing all those 78 rpm treasures in youtube.
We must remember that so far as vocalists are concerned, their voice quality matters as much as their knowledge and for that reason, since all the above musicians were in their best phase, the 78 rpm records are precious.
Luckily, youtube is allowing those records to be shared publicly and are doing a great service.
For the second generation 1965 to 1995, and the third and current generation 1995 to 2020, we have great facilities like live streaming, CD recording ( private and commercial) and such.
Thus, it is most important to share the old records in youtube and not from any private archives. So many of the links mentioned in this section are dead ( send space, rapidshar etc).
We can have a website for our favourite musicians. and place all the materials there. ( I do). and occasionally make some posts here giving links.
May I suggest that we make any post on a single artiste not more that once in a week, so that visibility to posts on other artistes is not hampered?
I am not a moderator . Just a rasika like many other interested in SHARING the Old Gold.
Do consider my submission.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

... May I suggest that we make any post on a single artiste not more that once in a week, so that visibility to posts on other artistes is not hampered? ...
What a bizarre suggestion !
@sweetsong
As is being done by you for the last ten years, please DO CONTINUE to post all relevant information concerning Prince Rama Varma. There are hardly five or six posts every month, and all are quite informative and relevant. Please do not cut down your postings.

RSR

Post by RSR »

On Prince Rama Varma
------------------------
posts by sweetsong
============================
@329 on 22-9-2018
@330 on 6-10-2018
@331 on 9-10-2018
@332 on 18-10-2018
@333 on 9-11-2018
@334 on 11-11-2018
@335 on 18-11-2018
@336 on 24-11-2018
@337 on 24-11-2018
@338 on 27-11-2018
@339 on 4-12-2018
@340 on 18-12-2018
@341 on 23-12-2018
@342 on 27-12-2018
-------------------------
@343 on 1-1-2019
to
@402
( 39 posts)
===========================
@404 to @408 in jan-2020
1) There are some noteworthy points here about the posts.
a) All the posts are consecutive.
b) some give speeches by the artiste, some about events, and a few about music links.
These are ideal for a blog.
----------------------------

arasi

Post by arasi »

There is no rule here that we all should read every post that appears here. Of everyone's every single post! That would be some exercise, considering the volume of the posts each day! Actually, there are so many interesting posts that I go without reading :( because of insufficient time. It also is a pity when a thread might be of interest in parts, but the volume of it scares you away.
As for Rama Varma's thread, he is a welcome happening in CM's recent history. In the early days, he was a member and participated often. Some naysayers perhaps put him off.
We hear more ST's songs because of him, get familiar with them because of the lyrics, Sangita Kalanidhi Sri. Govinda Rao's translation, and recordings of different artistes singing them. Moreover, I like him, his zeal and work in propagating his ancestor's music. How many in musical families have gone about doing thatas a mission?
Well, if you have wealth (and the Travancore rulers have always been Padmanabha dAsAs, so, not that much of wealth there either). He is humble, friendly, loves music in all its forms, brings it to children, makes his two festivals grander every year, accommodating more and more young artistes. The Saraswathi idol , Kamban's gift makes me wonder--if Kamban's days had seen the internet, would we fuss over bringing to the web his verses?
Above all, do not mind threads which don't interest you or which for some reason you are averse to :) I have to confess--I ignore many a thread that way, and sometimes overlook relevant ones too:(

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

@arasi, we haven't really paid much attention to some sections due to lack of activity in general. Once upon a time this section used to be the club of the place!

In these musicians threads, we would not want each and every concert event announcement of Prince Rama Varma ji get announced here. One can open a thread in event announcements exclusively for Prince Rama Varma ji. These threads in this section are for the music and the musician. So @sweetsong is requested to take event announcements to the respective section and mark one post with a link to that thread over here. We may make that sticky for redirecting.

Video clips or audio or interviews or classes we have no issues, though as time progresses, the numbers are just exploding everywhere. Once upon a time we were struggling to find even 1-2 recordings and now we are wondering if the internet might crash at this rate along with the electricity grid. Don't be surprised if humanity may run out of real estate for all the servers! If 10 FB live videos of every concert turned into 10 posts by 10 rasikas here, just imagine the day! That time we will think about a post limit.

Now whether this will drown out the yesteryear musicians threads, right now we don't think so. As such we get only a couple of posts here a month. We can always bump up any old threads if they go down.

arasi

Post by arasi »

VK,
Thanks for your input. Yes, a separate thread in Events Announcement about upcoming concerts is a good idea. This way, those who might want to hear him when he sings in their vicinity can easily find the venue and the date of the concert instead of looking for the announcement in this long thread because they are not that visible for ready reference.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@arasi
Actually, if we are to go through all the posts , in all the sections, even 12 hours per day for one whole year will not be enough. ( Leave alone broken links to audio and images). especially in this section.
While I do not spend much time in other sections, I spend considerable time in composers and musicians section. and try to read through each and every post on them., right from the beginning. as I am a student eager to learn from seniors in the forum. Occasionally, I make my own posts on my favourite musicians mostly as links. There are just too many in the musicians section. I too do selective reading only .
Want of time. and other factors too.
I would very much like to know about as many composers and musicians as possible. There is so much to learn. But, my preference is definitely for the Golden period.
The Admin can surely provide three subdivisions here,
(a) 1930-1965 (b) 1965-2000 (c) 2000 and later
If that is done, posts on the First set will get visibility. I found that in a single day, from 10am to the next 10am, there were six posts on different musicians. Every new post should be given 'visibility' for at least 24 hours. No? It is a problem for admin.

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

Point taken, Rasikasmoderator2. Thanks, Pratyaksham Bala and Arasi.

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

A few playlists of home videos by Varma ji from the lockdown period, covering a wide range of music related topics.

Veena clips
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Z7Au7hrO6q

Western Nottuswarams
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... TgeETRJ_H0

Illustrated talks on Endaro Mahanubhavulu, Bhavayami, M.D.Ramanathan + more
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... fsgP3Nx1YI

Voice and Veena Clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaMQkZe ... AvD3G9NpRD

World Music + Raga Music related Quizzes
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... bgfxqAoH3k