Musiri Subramania Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
bala747

Post by bala747 »

Strangely enough there was no thread on Musiri so here goes.

I remember his rendition of Nagumomu that first captured my attention. The man's voice was high pitched but the way he handled brighas so effortlessly was amazing. It was a unique bani, with a great emphasis on creativity. Some sangathis he produced were breathtaking. His renditions of Tiruvadi charanam are immortal.

Anyway here is a track from Musiri with Chowdiah and Palani. It is one of my favourite compositions, Meru Samana. The voice has lost its lustre due to age but the class is still there.

http://rapidshare.de/files/25920140/02_ ... a.mp3.html

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

the file does not exist any more. will you be kind enough to post in again?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Just was talking to a fellow rasika in New York over the weekend. Long ago, I had shared with him a tape of Musiri teaching a shishya at someone's home. He in turn had sent it to a shishya of TK Govinda Rao - recently it seems TKG happened to listen to the tape and was in raptures, literally crying in joy! Apparently this tape of Musiri is very very rare.

Any way, I have asked my friend to convert it into digital format. Shall share it with all of you when it's available.

Thanks to this, the TKG's shishya has sent my friend a whole bunch of TKG recordings from the 60's and 70's ...! Am anxiously waiting for the package to arrive from my friend.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Jayaram

Any of Musiri is most welcome!

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

rajesh,
thanks for the link ( a belated thanks though!)

gravikiran

Post by gravikiran »

hi jayaram,

would you please let us know if you would be able to upload that tape of musuri teaching someone?
it really sounds great...

thanks,
ravi.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Ravi - I will contact my friend and find out about it. Shall let you all know soon.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Hi Ravi - I have recd the tape finally. If you are a Musiri/TKG fan, then this will be nectar to your ears! I just need to convert it to digital format, then shall upload.

Apologies for this loong wait.

gravikiran

Post by gravikiran »

wow that is great news...i love musuri's music and would love to hear him as a teacher...

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Please upload the tape of Musiri, Jayaram! His sishya Sri. TKG is also an excellent teacher like his Guru. Its a pity that it did not strike me then to record a few sessions while learning from him. Those were memorable days in my life.

meena

Post by meena »

Changed moi mind, deleted the articles i had collected and posted here :/
Last edited by meena on 24 Dec 2007, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

This one is for G Ravikiran, cmlover, sumram99 (and other rasikas, of course). I managed to get the music digitized finally.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/g9otmk

From a private collection, precious stuff.
Musiri and TKG singing along, with just a tambura in the background. Three Gopalakrishna Bharati kritis:
1. varuvAro - sAma
2. eppo varuvAro - jOnpuri
3. varugalAmo - mAnji

varadharajan

Re: Musiri Subramania Iyer

Post by varadharajan »

If am asked to list out three carnatic musicians with GOD given voices, i would name Musiri Subramania Iyer, Mahararajapuram Viswanatha Iyer and MS. Semmangudi mama used to say that musiri had no equal in bringing out the emotional bhavam of a krithi. Palghat Mani Iyer used to rate musiri as next only to iyengAr. According to semmangudi mama, it was musiri who gave gowravam to the music profession. He often used to say, that until the arrival of musiri on the music scene, the character of musicians were always under the scanner. It was left to musiri to change all that. Semmangudi mama and musiri were life long friends, and whatever musiri did, SSI also did & Papa Vankatramaiah even went to the extent of calling them both "PeriyavA" and "Chinna PeriyavA". Even though Musiri had cut down performing in concerts drastically by the mid 40's, he had come to Trivandrum a few times to sing at the ST academy in the 50's, as semmangudi mama used to organize concerts there frequently by top ranking musicians for the benefit of the students.

There was one such concert of Musiri with Chowdiah and Palani Subramania Pillai. I still remember that musiri sang at F-Sharp that day. The krithi "Naa morAlanee" in dEvagAndhAri( where are those great krithis now??) left many in tears. Musiri in my opinion was the only musician who can evoke applause with krithi rendering alone. (For those who think what is so great in getting an applause, Evoking applause those days was a big deal, not like mindless applauding and standing ovation which people give today). In fact i believe that SSI-KVN-Musiri once performed together as a trio, i think at V.D.Swami's place. Dont know whether it has been recorded though. When we happen to sit through a musiri concert, we generally get to see a different kind of audience with eminent lawyers, ICS & IPS officers. In fact the famed ICS officer C.V.Narasimhan, who went on to become the under secretary general of the UN, was Musiri's student.

In fact to my limited knowledge, musiri was the first carnatic musician to cross the oceans and perform overseas when went on a tour to Malaysia and Singapore in 1930's along with Balakrishna Iyer on the violin and Tanjore Vaidyanatha Iyer on the mridangam and Palghat Sacchidanandam on Morsing.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

varadharajan wrote:Even though Musiri had cut down performing in concerts drastically by the mid 40's.
I read elsewhere too that musiri had drastically reduced and cut down concerts even when he had so much music in store(kind of very early retirement). Any particular reason , is that lack of opportunities or was he too inside looking and was not too keen in performing a lot. He cut his concerts as early at 1940's if I am right musiri was born in 1899.

varadharajan

Post by varadharajan »

Yes Musiri was indeed born in 1899. I don't think lack of oppurtunities was the reason. Musiri was among the first of the CM greats to act in films. His acting for a film necessitated a fairly long period of stay at Coimbatore. The cold climate of Coimbatore was really not conducive to his health and he developed some lung problems, which affected his singing considerably. It was then that his gowravam came to forte and he reduced his number of concert engagements drastically.

The central college of Carnatic Music was set up around this time and Musiri was offered the post of Principal which he agreed to.

raghusrinivas

Post by raghusrinivas »

Jayaraman,
Can you please repost the Musiri and TKG chamber music files. The link seems to be invalid.

Thanks
Raghu

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Musiri Mama was referred to as "The Musician of the Musicians"--Semmangudi Mama's statement that Musiri lent gauravam to artistes is 100 % true. My father and uncle were very close friends of Musiri Mama.Mama's preoccupation with the Administrative duties at the Carnatic College effectively crimped Mama's concert tours/performances.

My late uncle(died 6 months ago @ 96) related to me a story about how he got acquainted with Musiri Mama.It seems in the early thirties when my uncle was a student @ the Benares Engineering College, Mama with Tanjore Vaidyanatha Iyer(I forgot the violinist's name) visited Benares for a concert under the auspices of Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya(who was the Don and the Dean of the Benares Hindu University!! in those days) . My uncle (being the dandy he was then and throughout his life!) had his own cook from Chennai and lived away from the Dorm- When my uncle an ardent music lover heard of Musiri mama's visit he invited Mama to his room and hosted him for the entire stay. Both Mama and Vaidyanatha Iyer were mighty impressed with my uncle and became life long friends.
As testimony to the friendship I can relate an anecdote between Musiri Mama and my father who was equally friendly with Musiri Mama-- (in fact it was a delight to watch Musiri Mama in the company of the ICS officers--G. Venkateeswaran,CVN,SYK and Sennagudi Mama when they gather for some wedding-- "pulling"" Semmangudi mama's leg!!).

Recently when I was in Chennai going thru some of my Father's music-related archives(my father died in 2006 and we have not finished going thro his archives!!),found 15 to 18 letters written by Musiri Mama to my father during the period Oct 1968 thru April 1969 enquiring about the progress of my mother after she was hit by a car in Oct 1968 and she was in traction in Bombay for 6 months. he offered his enormous influence with the Medical Elite of Chennai to get the best possible assistance. His hand writing was clear(he was 69/70 years old),writing style elegant with restraint but warm nonetheless. What was he writing about so tenaciously other than enquiries about my mother's progress? About allotment of Lambretta Scooter(this was tremendously in demand) for his nephew--my father had a friend in high places at the Automobile Products of India and thought he could "swing' it easily--but some snag or other delayed the allotment--my father in his replies to Mama's letters apparently did not broach the subject or the reason for the delay in allotment thinking that he could resolve it soon. But Mama in one of his letters chided my father writing" I know I had enquired about Chinnani(my mother)'s progress in my letters and you have dutifully explained the same.But you seem to be dodging the issue of the allotment and that makes me wonder if it is a lost case!!. Subsequently the allotment came and Mama was happy. My father till the day he died used to wonder WHY with his strong ties to the ICS establishment at the State and Central levels--who could have secured the allotment and perhaps even driven it to his home -- chose to ask my father!!

My father in his book "Musings on Music and Musicians" narrates a story about what a great host he was --much to the chagrin of his devoted,dutiful wife. Once when my father had dropped in to mama's house in Oliver Road Mylapore around 10 or 11 A.M. when my father was about to take leave he suggested that my father join him for lunch. Just when they were about to go Dr.S. Ramanathan dropped by and when he was due to leave Mama asked him to stay for lunch. Then as the three were to go to the dining room,another friend and admirer of Mama --Agoram Iyer of Thiruvaiyaru(he was reported to be the Chief Cook during the Aradhana and is credited with the ability to "whip up" meals for 2 to 3 thousand guests at short notice)--shows up and after some brief discussions about arrangements for the Aradhana(Mama was one of the Secretaries of the Committee in those days),he prepares to leave and Mama asked him to join him and his friends for lunch. At this my father remonstrated to Mama (Are you going to invite everybody who comes to see you midday and what about the poor lady-- his wife to do at such short notice to which Mama's laconic reply was "she is used to such situations do not worry". Mama's home was an open house,my father used to tell us.

Mama was extraordinarily terse and softspoken no matter how big a crisis he would be faced with. he was also a great counselor for his peers as well as his friends. To a rapid hurried narrative from a visitor like the late Ramnad Krishnan(who used to fret over trivial events and worryingly will seek counsel from Mama). After a torrent of words from RK and after he was thro, Mama would leisurely raise his eyebrow in a quizzical manner, followed by a pause and a gentle clearing of the throat--all these mannerisms were characteristic of him-- and ask Is that all? It will completely "floor" RK and make him withdraw his problem--no solution/ advice would be given by Mama.

Musiri Mama was highly respected by MSS/TS--Mama taught MS Mami Thiruvadi Charanam--was a regular visitor to Kalki Gardens along with Semmangudi Mama(for the card sessions with the teaching assignment as an interlude!!) Once when he was teaching Mami, I believe Mami received a phone call and before Mami could respond, Musiri Mama asked "Who is the caller"--when he heard that my mother had called Mami he appears to have said" OK practice is over for today-- you and your friend will yak for the rest of the day!!!
Mama was as adroit in driving his car as he was with his music--careful and circumspect and although the traffic in Mylapore in the sixties was light and nowhere near present chaotic levels, you could sit as a passenger without any anxiety--so steady he was even when he was sixty years old!!

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

varadharajan wrote:...
There was one such concert of Musiri with Chowdiah and Palani Subramania Pillai. I still remember that musiri sang at F-Sharp that day.
Does anyone have audio of Musiri speaking (such as giving a speech or a lec-dem)? I am curious to listen to his speaking voice to compare with his extraordinary singing voice. Did he speak in that high voice as well or was the high pitch reserved for singing alone? For comparison, MDR had a deep baritone singing voice but a surprisingly "normal" sounding (i.e. higher pitched) speaking voice as evidenced by his lec-dem on sangeethapriya. Also the rare recording of Musiri available publicly does not seem to have recorded him as high as F#, perhaps he lowered his shruti with age? Also if such a recording at F# or thereabouts is available (I might have missed it) please point.

-Then Paanan

arvindt

Post by arvindt »

Does anyone have audio of Musiri speaking (such as giving a speech or a lec-dem)? I am curious to listen to his speaking voice to compare with his extraordinary singing voice. Did he speak in that high voice as well or was the high pitch reserved for singing alone? For comparison, MDR had a deep baritone singing voice but a surprisingly "normal" sounding (i.e. higher pitched) speaking voice as evidenced by his lec-dem on sangeethapriya. Also the rare recording of Musiri available publicly does not seem to have recorded him as high as F#, perhaps he lowered his shruti with age? Also if such a recording at F# or thereabouts is available (I might have missed it) please point.
In his lec-dem, his speaking voice is lower than his singing voice, but not too much lower, from what I can remember.
But by the time this was recorded, his singing voice was also already lower -- definitely not F#.

I have one concert recording with him singing quite high including the Kamas pada varnam, O Jagadamba and O Ranga Sayee.
I think it's a widely available recording.

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

arvindt,
I had once posted Musiri Subramania Iyer's lec dem with Kalpakam Swaminathan on the veenai. If you do not have the recording I can post it again. Pl let me know. The bhairavi piece is great.

arvindt

Post by arvindt »

Thanks kunthalavarali, I do already have this recording, and yes the lecdem is absolutely amazing.
Maybe you can post it for thenpaanan's benefit. I would, but am traveling the next few days...

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

The first song of MSI that I heard was his rendition of 'Pahi Ramachandra-YK' from HMV's 10 CD set "Divine Trinity". It floored me. I then bought the Akashvani CD but this was recorded when his voice was not the same. Recently I came to know from Sri. Vijayagopal in Sangeethapriya newsgroup that the YK song was part of an LP and it was available in Sangeethapriya.

So, I downloaded and the cleaned up the original which was stereo with song+noise on one channel and just noise on the other :) Please listen to these songs if you have not heard it before. You would wish you had listened to him live when he was at his peak. I certainly wish.

http://www.mediafire.com/?f8kcg9iasb8y7

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Some rare images..

1944 SITTING LEFT TO RIGHT (3rd From Left): T L Venkatrama Iyer, Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, Palladam Sanjeeva Rao, Harikeshnallur Muthiah Bagavathar, Musiri Subramania Iyer, K V Krishnaswami Iyer, TV Subba Rao and Palghat Mani Iyer. STANDING L to R (From 4th): G N B, C V. Venkatnarasimhan, Alathur Subbu, Palani Subramania Pillai and Mayavaram Govindaraja Pillai...

Justice TL Venkatarama Iyer in the middle (with Turban), VVI to his right, Parur Sundaram Iyer to his left, VV Sadagopan to the right of VVI. Ramnad Krishnan, V. Sethuramaiah, RK Venkatarama Sastri are also seen.

Courtesy...http://www.tlvefoundation.org/pgallery.html

venkatakailasam

Musiri 007-National Program -RagamTanam Pallavi..38.29mts.,

Musiri 007-National Programe -RTP.mp3 - 22.9 Mb

venkatakailasam

Musiri 031-Nivada ne gana-saranga-Musiri Subramania Iyer-on 05-09-09

Musiri 031-Nivada ne gana-saranga-Musiri Subramania Iyer-on 05-09-09.MP3 - 44.7 Mb

( Nivada ne gana-saranga

In the krti ‘nivada ne gana’ – raga saranga (tala jhampa), sri tyagaraja wants affirmation of the Lord that he is His true devotee.

Pallavi
nivada ne gana nikhila loka nidana
nimisham(O)rva kalana

Anupallavi
dev(A)di deva bhu-deva vara paksha
rajiv(A)ksha sadhu jana jivana sanatana (ni)

Caranam
satyambu nityambu samaramuna Sauryambu
atyanta rupambu amita balamu
nity(O)tsavambu kala niku nija dasud(a)ni
1tathyambu palku sri tyagaraj(A)rcita (ni)...)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Musiri singing Pahi Ramachandra Raghava (Yadukula Kamboji) of Tyagaraja:
https://soundcloud.com/raksha-1/pahi-ra ... ukula-raag

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

what an amazing sAreeram! and at that high sruthi.
thanks, srkris.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Writeup on Musiri chamber concert. I have not been there but everyone who went goes gA gA . Musiri bhavam is perhaps intact in musiri chamber.
http://www.thehindu.com/chennai-margazh ... ertainment

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Musiri Bhavam is indeed exquisite and it is a joy when a disciple of Musiri like suguna varadachari gives few pointers
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 060250.ece

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

rajeshnat wrote:Musiri Bhavam is indeed exquisite and it is a joy when a disciple of Musiri like suguna varadachari gives few pointers
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 060250.ece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1gvnP-d5I8

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

rajeshnat wrote:Writeup on Musiri chamber concert. I have not been there but everyone who went goes gA gA . Musiri bhavam is perhaps intact in musiri chamber.
http://www.thehindu.com/chennai-margazh ... ertainment
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDAhuq ... 6Pw/videos

Purist

Post by Purist »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1gvnP-d5I80 x

Eppo Varuvaro (Jhompuri) rendered by Musuri is very unique. Class of its own.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

"tEyilai tOTTattilE"
https://youtu.be/ubnbQ6a8y58

RSR

Post by RSR »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 20:26 .
"tEyilai tOTTattilE"
https://youtu.be/ubnbQ6a8y58
---------------------------
Dear Sir, Thank you.
I have read your post on Savithri song 'deviyaip poojai seyvaay' . May I know the ragam of the songs by MS in that film?
maname ganamum maravaathe - aberi?
mangaLamum peruvaar-magaiyarellaam un pukazh sonnaal
deviyaip poojai seyvaay.

Best Regards

RSR

Post by RSR »

Is there any existing thread on V.V.Sdagopan?

RSR

Post by RSR »

Maha Vaidyanatha Sivan - MeLaragamalika- one sixth of the krithi
from an old recording.by Musiri Subramanya Iter
( from the archives of (late) Sri.Venkata Kailasam
Time may be around 15 minutes.
https://youtu.be/jaGpgLbdN6Q

RSR

Post by RSR »

Sharing some uploads by Shankar Rajasekaran
-------------------------------------------
Musiri Subramanya Iyer-Janakiramana-Sudda Seemandhini- Adi- Thyagaraja
https://youtu.be/oTzgY1-7feE
जानकीरमण भक्तपारिजात पाहि सकललोकशरण ।
अनुपल्लवी
गानलोल घनतमाल लील करुणालवाल सुगुणशील ।
चरणम्
रक्तनलिनदल नयननृपाल रमणीयानन मुकुरकपोल भक्तिहीनजन मदगजजाल पञ्चवदन त्यागराजपाल ।
---------------------------------------------------------
Musiri Subramanya Iyer-Kanakasaila-Punnagavarali-Adi- Shyama sastri
https://youtu.be/iMjLWT3Mttk
----------------------------------------------------------

RSR

Post by RSR »

some fine uploads
--------------------
Musiri Subramanya Iyer-Meru Samana-Mayamalavagowlai-Adi-Thyagaraja
https://youtu.be/EhJyM9hkcqY
-----------------------------
Musiri Subramanya Iyer- Enathani Ne-Mukhari-Rupakam-Thyagaraja
https://youtu.be/4JDsz8opL_E
-----------------------------
Sangeetha Kalanidhi Musiri Subramania Iyer - RTP Anantha Bhairavi
https://youtu.be/-cRwCGW86PA
Raju Asokan
-----------------------------------

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

A note(in Tamil) on Musiri in 'Kalki' after he passed away on March 25,1975 + ....
1501. சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 222
நிறைவான வாழ்க்கை
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2020/03/1501-222.html

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

srkris wrote: 11 Jul 2013, 19:39 Musiri singing Pahi Ramachandra Raghava (Yadukula Kamboji) of Tyagaraja:
https://soundcloud.com/raksha-1/pahi-ra ... ukula-raag
The link is not working. Please check this one :-
https://youtu.be/QQ4NGf8ja4s?t=1

The person in the portrait is not Musiri Subramanya Iyer !
That is C. Ramanujachari, a CM rasika, who initiated the series of Navaratri concerts at the Ramakrishna Mission, Mylapore, Madras.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

An article (1949) in Tamil about Musiri written by another musician.
1844. சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 276
முசிரி சுப்ரமணிய ஐயர்
கோட் வாத்தியம் துரையப்ப பாகவதர்
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2020/04/blog-post.html

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

C.Ramanujachari is the author (along with V.Raghavan) of the book The Spritual Heritage of Tyagaraja.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Pasupathy wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 17:42 An article (1949) in Tamil about Musiri written by another musician.
1844. சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 276
முசிரி சுப்ரமணிய ஐயர்
கோட் வாத்தியம் துரையப்ப பாகவதர்
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2020/04/blog-post.html
As the above article says, Musiri went and performed at many places in Malaya at the request of C.Ramanujachariyar and thus helped Ramakrishna Mission. That seems to be the C.R - Musiri connection!

RSR

Post by RSR »

https://youtu.be/raacxf3Nr1c

A grand vocal recital by the doyen Musiri Subramania Iyer on All India Radio's National Programme of Music in January of 1957. The meticulous care with which the radio announcers announce the raga and composer names, harks back to an era when the general awareness about the classical arts was very high among the public.

Programme details:
Musiri Subramania Iyer
T K Govinda Rao - Vocal Support
Thiruvalangadu N Sundaresa Iyer - Violin
Nagerkoil Ganesan - Mridangam
Devakottai Sundararaja Iyengar - Kanjira

1. Enthani ne delupudura (Pada Varnam) - Khamas - Adi - Subbarama Dikshitar [00:00]
2. Janaki Ramana - Suddha Seemanthini - Adi - Tyagaraja [09:55]
3. Rama Rama gunaseema - Simhendramadhyama - Adi - Maharaja Swati Tirunal [15:03]
4. Naa moralakimpave - Devagandhari - Rupakam - Tyagaraja [28:06]
5. Ragam-Tanam-Pallavi (Koodara sirivelan kunjari manavaalan) - Bhairavi - Khanda Matya [33:16]
6. Melaragamalikachakra (Indu Chakra - Kanakangi to Tanaroopi) - Maha Vaidyanatha Iyer [01:13:44]

Nādabhṛṅga consists of a consortium of enthusiasts and collectors of Indian Classical Music who are intent on sharing good quality recordings of the erstwhile Masters from a compendium of archival recordings, carefully collected over several decades. The music we share here will hopefully serve as an archival source for current and future generations of musicians, students, aficionados and connoisseurs. In case of any copyright disputes, kindly contact us and we will remove the video. Nādabhṛṅga is NOT a monetized channel. Any ads that do feature here are due to third party copyright claims, which are unavoidable.

CRama

Post by CRama »

The pallavi line is Kutrala giri velan Kunjari manavalan.

RSR

Post by RSR »

p-47
---CRama
Kutraala giri vaelan, Kunjari MaNavaaLan

You can point out the error to the uploader in the cited link. He would correct it.
-----
Pallavi line, I read somewhere in this forum, need not convey any sense. If I remember right, Ganam Krishna Iyer, a contemporary of Thyagaraja, sang something like 'chummaa chummaa …..'.
------
correct me if I am wrong.

CRama

Post by CRama »

This pallavi has been sung by MLV also.

For arguement sake, you can say. chummaa chummaa etc. But it should convey some meaning. Sitting in a concert, you can not hear a 45 mts pallavi chummaa chummaa, There is a discussion that it need not be on Gods. can be secular. That has been done by many musicians successfully. Sanjay has done many taking lines from Bharatiar kavithais.

RSR

Post by RSR »

I am told that 'Pallavi singing' uses just one line . The standard form does not change the ragam. There is no lyrics either. The variations occur only in the pace of rendering. and differing emphasis on the different parts of the line. ---RTP incorporates Pallavi singing but we can have a very brief AaLAAP , skipping the Taanam and detailed Pallavi singing in the same raagam.. It is indeed very difficult to bring sufficient variations in that single line . To make it interesting, vocalists bring in two or more ragas in that Pallavi line but that is not the standard.
-
Renderings in concerts by the Golden Decades stalwarts are available in Naadabrungha channel. Orthodox . and classical .