M.S. Gopalakrishnan

Carnatic Musicians
coolkarni

M.S. Gopalakrishnan

Post by coolkarni »

Today is MSG's birthday.
Let us wish him a Happy Birthday .

The words MSG Conjures up many images - the panthuvaralis , sindhu bhairavis , Nalinakanthis , Bhavanutha , Hamir Kalyani and others whioch have that classic touch .

And that wonderful smile accompanied by a small bow of the head ,after a round of applause..
My friends son , who trains under him says that he dreads being late for the class .If he is late by five minutes , it is common to see MSG already at the Teaching Spot , playing the lesson for the day.
Another friend who used to visit that house frequently fondly remembers that on each and every occasion MSG would have a small gift for him.

How Often Have I seen him ,Violin tucked under his arm,rushung to the dias at the appointed minute , without wasting his time..

On the second day ,after Narada Gana Sabha was inaugurated , we were all waiting for the artists of the day to arrive.The car parking lot wore a fancy look with all the toyotas , standard 2000s (Rover) ...I am noit sure of the name of the vocalist (was it kvn) but at 5.55 pm sharp , a cyclerickshaw rolled into the premises.MSG climbed out and after an exchange of few words (we could see a few notes going back and forth) he had settled the fare for the journey from mylapore to Alwarpet and briskly walked past us to the stage.
for sheer simplicity
That scene is etched in my mind forever.

Here are a few tracks where he accompanies MM Iyer in the Company of PMI

http://rapidshare.de/files/22669470/MM_ ... i.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/22670827/MM_ ... a.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/22669032/MM_ ... i.mp3.html

Hope you will like them

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Happy Birthday MSG! Very well written coolkarniji!! It portrays MSG’s character.
Incidentally, his daughter Narmada is in town Thrissur ,to give a performance later today.

meena

Post by meena »

Warm wishes to sree msg.

-
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Thank you meena for mentioning that site;it contains all the important information regarding the maestro.
He is known for the purity of notes(sudha swara)be it in mel sthayi.There was an elaborate article in Sruti magazine some 15 years ago about the styles of MSG,TNK and Lalgudi(any body having that issue,pl u/l it here) according to that article,MSG treats violin purely as an instrument,forLalgudi it is 50% instrument and 50% vocal.
Regarding his association with HM and Pt Omkarnath Thakur,1965 M.A concert of the Pt with MSG is available at sangeethapriya.
I recall a Hindusthani concert of MSG 15 years ago at Shastry hall,Chennai.
As person,he was shy,composed and humble,never after popularity or fame.He appreciates all styles of music and has a good collection of his western counterparts.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

>As person,he was shy,composed and humble...

My only encounter with him for a few seconds after a concert revealed all these qualities. After an MSG's concert, I stuck around talking to a few people in the audience for half an hour or so. And I saw MSG walking down the hall with a couple of people on his side. He wore the simplest of attire. I usually do not go to the stage to talk to the artists, especially not of the stature of MSG ( why trouble them, they are already being bugged by so many ;) ) ... but something compelled me to walk with him and say a few good words about the concert. He listened patiently with full attention and accepted my words with a smile and graciousness and said a few appropriate words in return. That was a great encouter for me.

Happy Birthday MSG!!

kaapi

Post by kaapi »

Happy Birthday MSG.

Being accomplished in both CM and HM to such a high degree is a very rare feat. Hats off to the Great Man.

venravi

Post by venravi »

Thodi RTP of DKJ_MSG_UKS.
MSG's reply to DKJ is excellent.
here is the link:
http://www.savefile.com/files/8158584 [url]

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

A very happy birthday to the doyen.

The Manavyalakim (Nalinakanti) with Trichy Shankaran uploaded by coolkarniji a few months back still rings in my ears as one of the most outstanding renditions of that song.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Coolkarni
Thanks for the tracks.I am a great fan of MSG, though I have heard very few. Would appreciate if you could upload more.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

great man, indeed!!!

i listened to a Thodi RTP where he accompanies BMK... u/l by raju a long time back... its not the usual "heavy" thodi... but a thodi with a very different feel... the behag that MSG plays in the ragamalika portion is 8) !!!

there is also a rishabhapriya RTP with BMK and TVG!! hiffunda :twisted:

happy birthday!!! :)

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

As my manaseega Guru, my pranams to MSG Sir on his birthday ( belated, though !).

It would be extremely befitting if some one could upload the concert of MSG Sir in MA when he was accorded the SK title couple of years ago...

Am I hallucinating ??

Cooli.......any luck here ??

Cheers

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Sam
You are hallucinating ,indeed.
Full Concert uploads are not advisable , we have already decided that.
If you remember the concert details , maybe we could savour a few highlights..
:twisted: ;)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

I am a great fan of MSG, though I have heard very few
sujiram
you can mail me at inmech@gmail.com .I will introduce you to another fan of MSG .. 8)

shanks

Post by shanks »

Sam,
There is a concert of MSG at http://www.sangeethapriya.org

While you are there, download the Omkarnath Takore concert in which MSG accompanies - this is a MA 1865 concert - pretty good one as panditji settles down.

Shankar

Sam Swaminathan

Shankar

Thanks for the input. I went to that site.....pray, tell me that was not the whole concert, is it ? Or just a few songs ?

On the Omkarnath concert.....boy am I lucky or am I lucky ?!!

I was 18 then and I WAS THERE AT MA THAT DAY !!!! Beat that !!!

What a concert ? My MSG played like a God that he was....like a shadow...never one step this way or that way....simply proved what a real accompanist should do....I can still see the image of Thakur Saab lifting his head and admiring MSG Sir every time he played back the difficult pieces that he had sung....and I could not understand why....some time in the middle of the concert Thakur saab was scolding Shantha Prasad for some thing he played or did...they were conversing in hindi and so....

Shankar, due to the munificence of people like Raju Sir and Kulkarni Sir and others, I have that concert.....what I want to have now is MSG Sir's MA concert on his Kalanidhi accreditation......

Sigh.......

vasanthakokilam

>this is a MA 1865 concert

>I was 18 then and I WAS THERE AT MA THAT DAY !!!! Beat that !!!

:shock: :cheesy:

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

that was a good one VK
To know that Sam is 141 years old !!

BTW
If Sam does not mind my spilling a few beans here ...

Sam is the younger brother of Mannargudi Eswaran.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Gee vk!
Didn't realize you are the reincarnation of our great Thyagaraja ;)

vasanthakokilam

Welcome Sam.. I have some mannArguDi connections. Did you grow up in mannArguDi?

Sam Swaminathan

Hi VK

I was born in Mannargudi ( 3rd Street) and my anna Easwar was also born there. We moved to katpadi in our early years, where my anna started his mridangam from Sri Kuniseri Krishnamani Iyer ( AIR, Bangalore). We moved to Chennai later on and that is where we finished our university etc.

I feel so previleged to be amongst such learned and experienced rasikas like you, Kulkarni sir, Raji sir, Lakshmanji, Meena, CM lover....just to mention a few....

I will keep visiting the site just to learn that much more ...

Please keep it flowing....

Regards

prashant

Post by prashant »

I've been an MSG fan as long as I can remember. My parents and uncle were also huge fans of his, and growing up, my house resonated with Chembai/MSG, DKJ/MSG, MMI/MSG and early BMK/MSG. In 1988, after a long gap, MSG was to visit Mumbai. I was keyed up by the thought of 'finally' seeing the great man live. He was due to accompany Sri TVS at Chembur FAS [in those days, concerts were held in a pandal at Gandhi Maidan, Chembur], and perform a solo with Dorai Sir the next day at BRRS. He played a vintage kamAs at CFAS.

The next morning, he visited my house [my grandfather and MSG were close friends]. I was pushed in front of him and he was informed that I 'was learning music.' He asked me to sing something, and hesitatingly I sang the rItigauLa aTa tALa varNam which I had just learnt. That evening, the hall at BRRS was jam-packed. My uncle and I arrived early and took up the vantage point, sitting on the floor right under MSG's nose. He as usual arrived on the stage a minute before the concert was to start and meticulously tuned his violin. He looked straight at me, gave me a smile and launched into the rItigauLa varNam! I will not forget that moment as long as I live ;)

In the 60s, MSG used to stay with my grandparents during his visits to Mumbai. My grandmother describes him as a man of extremely simple habits. Every day, he would practice in a methodical fashion: saraLi varisai, jaNTa varisai, alankArams in multiple speeds, a varNam and then a krithi. Truly one of the all-time greats!

shanks

Post by shanks »

MSG is one of the very few persons (MDR is the other) who has played a wide variety of ata tala varnams - most of the performers stick to the bhairavi, kanada, kalyani and may be kamboji.

I have heard play bhariavi, kalyani, sankarabaranam (KVN sings this one), kanada, narayanagowla, kanada, reetigowla, kamboji and todi. Barring todi in which you get to hear shades of sindhubhairavi on occasions, his rendering of the varnams are gems.

Talking of the reetigolwa varnam, i have a concert of his at BARC with Dorai and Harishankar starting with reetigowla varnam and probably RTP in natakurunji.

shanks

Post by shanks »

An interesting statement that i heard from someone is that Palghat Mani Iyer has accompanied MSG ONE SINGLE time only. At the end of that concert, he apparently told MSG that he would NOT ever play for him again :shock:

There could be an element of truth in this because to my knowledge there is just one concert of MSG with PMI accompanying. Is this correct or known fact?

Cannot fathom why PMI chose not to accompany MSG - specially considering that he has played for the L brothers.

Seems that people either love his playing or simply do not like him at all. Surely they have no idea what they are missing.

I once heard an organizer of a major group in US that he does not like MSG period - needless to say MSG has never performed in their venue.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Shanks: It is indeed the same concert [ninnE namminAnu main, rAma bhakti sAmrAjam / nIlAyatAkshi etc]. The kanjira is not Harishankar, but Dorai Sir's disciple Sri N.H. Jayaraman.

There's of course a famous MMI concert with MSG & PMI which has shaDvidamArgini and awesome sindhubhairavi swarams in the pallavi. I also have an SSI concert documented as MSG / PMI [srI krishNam bhaja mAnasa main] but of course, documentation can be notoriously unreliable :? :?

The famous Semmangudi kIravANi RTP was made special by MSG's touches, especially his reply in the AlApanA and some phases of the tAnam. That, in my opinion, is one of the finest pieces of live music ever recorded [in any genre]. Such intensity and verve!

I also agree with you on his rendition of varNams, especially the monumental kalyANi aTa tALa varNam. His rendition of sAvEri and nATakurinji varNams is also crisp and delectable. I have a soft corner for MSG's sAvEri - I heard an RTP in this rAgA about 8 years ago by him and it still remains vivid in my memory.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Shanks: It is indeed the same concert [ninnE namminAnu main, rAma bhakti sAmrAjam / nIlAyatAkshi etc]. The kanjira is not Harishankar, but Dorai Sir's disciple Sri N.H. Jayaraman.

There's of course a famous MMI concert with MSG & PMI which has shaDvidamArgini and awesome sindhubhairavi swarams in the pallavi. I also have an SSI concert documented as MSG / PMI [srI krishNam bhaja mAnasa main] but of course, documentation can be notoriously unreliable :? :?

The famous Semmangudi kIravANi RTP was made special by MSG's touches, especially his reply in the AlApanA and some phases of the tAnam. That, in my opinion, is one of the finest pieces of live music ever recorded [in any genre]. Such intensity and verve!

I also agree with you on his rendition of varNams, especially the monumental kalyANi aTa tALa varNam. His rendition of sAvEri and nATakurinji varNams is also crisp and delectable. I have a soft corner for MSG's sAvEri - I heard an RTP in this rAgA about 8 years ago by him and it still remains vivid in my memory.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

some time in the middle of the concert Thakur saab was scolding Shantha Prasad for some thing he played or did...they were conversing in hindi and so....
Sam
Man you were lucky to see them !!I envy you.
Here is that part of the conversation(did not have the heart to clip the juiciest part of Huesini Kanada)
http://rapidshare.de/files/23037868/Omk ... n.mp3.html

He is coaxing Samtha Prasad(while singing huseini kanada) tp play more and possiibly something new
Yeh Bhaav Kee bhasha Hai (This is the Languge of feelings) Baja Le baja Le ..Khush Ho (play on ...Feel happy) Kuch Naya Bajao (why not something New ? he queries ) and Samthas response is mind boggling.

He goes on to play in the same vein in the Jaijaiwanthi bit later
http://rapidshare.de/files/23037125/Omk ... d.mp3.html

All in all , a great concert.Must thank those unknown souls who recorded it.
and shared it for posterity.

Frankly i dont think Omkarnath could have scolded Samtha Prasad (Imagine someone scolding Palghat Mani Iyer !;) )
Omkarnath was also known to show a preference for open air concerts , sometime breaking into phases ,depicting the scenes -Harikatha style-and also hated to sing in recording studios.
http://rapidshare.de/files/23040298/MAI ... O.MP3.html
Have you heard his Main Nahin Makhan Khayo - where he becomes Krishna on stage , arguing , defending himself , beseeching ...)

It must have been a rare accompanying performance for Samtha Prasad too , since he used to Mainly give Solo Tabla Recitals for durations of 3 Hours..

This concert of Omkarnath leaves another intriguing question unanswered.
His Guru -VD Paluskar- who wanted to popularise HM by making it ride piggy back on Hindu Mythological themes / songs travelled far and wide to set up his vidyalayas-from Lahore to Delhi to Bihar.

Wonder why His school never took roots in the South.
Maybe MSG has the answer..

vasanthakokilam

He looked straight at me, gave me a smile and launched into the rItigauLa varNam! I will not forget that moment as long as I live
Prashanth: That is one heck of a moment. Several thoughts occur: goose bump moment, this is what memorable movie scenes are made of... but then this is real... Lucky you.. thanks for sharing it.

shanks

Post by shanks »

Sam,
you are right - MSG was fabulous with Takurji. Lucky you attending that concert.

Surely the MSG kalanidhi concert is the one to have - if you get a copy please add me to you distribution list.

I am certain your brother has accompanied MSG, but i have not come across any recordings. If you do, please do share those recordings. Your brother is a wonderful mridangam player - i have heard him several times and in my memory he is the only one who wanted the volume to be reduced (every one wants it up !) in a concert with Unnikrishnan several years ago.

shanks

Post by shanks »

Prashant,
The info i got with the recording was that it was Harishankar - obviously incorrect. Do you remember the year of that concert? I believe it was in the late eighties when he was playing solo (between the time he was playing with Narmada and then back again with her).

The PMI accompaniment i am referring to is for his solo concerts; The SSI-MSG-PMI concert and others with PMI where MSG is accompaniment do exist - guess PMI was looing at the main performer and not the violinist !! But i do wonder if there is any element of truth to the statement i have heard.

The first time I heard MSG in person was a hindustani concer in the 70s at Hubli - i can still vividly remember the performance - the hall was packed and he played for about 3.5 hours with a short break. The bhairavi he played was brilliant. A couple of years ago, there was a video of MSG-MGN performing at the ITC posted on their website - they pulled it out after a while.

Another raga that he really excels in is Kumudakriya - H K Narasimhamurthy a disciple of MSG (father of H N Bhaskar) mentioned that he requested him to play kumudakriya in a Mysore AIR concert - he obliged by plyaing for 30 minutes or so.

vasanthakokilam

I was born in Mannargudi ( 3rd Street) and my anna Easwar was also born there.
Ah..my relatives are from the 3rd street too. I have visited mannargudi quite a few times and have very fond memories of the place. I will check with them to see if they knew of your family. Thanks.

Sam Swaminathan

Shanks

Would you please provide me with your email address ?

Regards

shanks

Post by shanks »

Sam
My email address is shanksranjani2@yahoo.com

Shankar

subram

Post by subram »

Shri Kulkarniji,

Main Nahin Makhan Khayo. Kindly oblige by reposting Pt.Omkarnath's rendering. I am late to arrive. The link is dead. Regards... PNS

Tejasvi

Post by Tejasvi »

hi friends i'm new to this forum n as mad as u all r for d maestro MSG. i strongly think dat he has authority over both CM n HM. wat do u think?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Since I cannot judge issues of authority , I can only put up a laymans response
Sadly MSG has always stuck to ragas like yaman , puriya dhanasri,bhimpalas, darbari kanada,jog.kedar,and madhuvanthi-atleast to my knowledge.And even when he plays them there is something very carnatic about it.
A bit like those banana buns they make in rural South Canara hotels.Even when you are eating the bun , it is the banana that makes its presence felt.

I would have loved to hear him play a multani , a basanth,a bhatiyar , a chaya nat or a miya malhar.

On Stage Sriram Parasuram has looked more authoritative to me in matters related to HM , simply because he has handled some of these ragas.

As far as recordings go , I could always settle down for sakuntala narasimhan as the most authoritative one.
I have heard her sing both styles-though i dont have recordings-

She is able to handle disctinctive features of both styles very well.

Though I have not heard about her for a long long time.

But I am as mad about anyone else about MSG's music.

Tejasvi

Post by Tejasvi »

may be u havnt heard him playing CM. although it has a touch of HM it is pure carnatic raga-oriented. i got that WORLDSPACE. man! u should hear play the varnam SAVERI. u'll go numb

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Everyone (that I have heard speak about MSG) goes gaga about MSG's saveri varnam.

As Carnatic rasikas complain his carnatic has a hindustani feel, Hindustani rasikas also claim his hindustani has a carnatic feel. That is one of the problems of trying to master both.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Tejasvi wrote:may be u havnt heard him playing CM. although it has a touch of HM it is pure carnatic raga-oriented.
hehe. Coolkarni not hearing MSG(Or anyone) playing CM. Maaybe you havent heard much about coolkarni :cool: Anyway, coolkarni was only opining about MSG playing HM and the carnatic feel to it.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Here is a link to MSG playing the sAvEri varNa, from the Nada Anubhooti website

http://tinyurl.com/gahoq

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

DRS
Once a layman , always a layman...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Coolji,
You think you are cool? Nah! See, it works like this: you call yourself a layman and that's what you get to be, dude!

Tejasvi

Post by Tejasvi »

u r rite! i may not know how is 'cool'ji!!!!!!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

You want to know how cool he is? Well, wait and see;)

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

Tejasvi wrote:may be u havnt heard him playing CM. although it has a touch of HM it is pure carnatic raga-oriented. i got that WORLDSPACE. man! u should hear play the varnam SAVERI. u'll go numb
Joke of the century

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

<<That is one of the problems of trying to master both.>>

I am fond of quoting ogden nash's poem where he tells a tale of his friend inviting him for a lunch featuring rattlesnake meat.
Nothing to worry , the friend assures .. it tastes just like chicken meat.
The lunch goes of well except that at the end of the poem , the poet sighs
Now Chicken I cannot eat ..for it tastes like rattlesnake meat !!

I guess the listener is also a part of the problem , since he too carries a baggage of listening experience and expectations.

I have tried ,several times , to get my mama (my guru for HM and who has heard very little of CM) interested in MSG.But he invariably waves it of with a shrug.But then he was never a great enthusiast for the violin in HM.I also sometimes feel that it is too straight jacketed an instrument to peel off the layers of this Onion-like-raga in true HM style.
The raga , with the violin , is always sitting on an edge.. ready to take off ,and soar , or tumble and fall.
Very very different from other instruments..

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Well, it is an inherent feeling to say that the violin does not meet the depth of HM. But then VG Jog is a good bet for you to listen, really. I may be naive as far as HM is concerned; yet I had the opportunity to listen to him once and found that good HM can flow definitely from a renowned artist like him.

While talking of that feeling of being straight jacketed, I think the harmonium suffers from the same drawback in CM. Howsoever well you may try to attempt, certain gamakas, oscillations or embellishments cannot come through well in a keyboard/harmonium and you will have depress the other keys to present the nuances of CM.

Kaumaaram
Last edited by kaumaaram on 07 Aug 2006, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

bala747

Post by bala747 »

Ah an interesting discussion indeed! I am sure now, if it was sung/played, Coolkarni has heard it.
The man seems to have almost any recording of anyone on file!

MSG was probably the most technically proficient of the violin trio but his concerts have always been rather mixed. As an accompanist he was beyond brilliant, always supporting and occasionally delivering a brief line of spectacular wizardry, at the end of the artiste's rendition of an alapana or neraval just to let the audience know that it is indeed the Master on the violin.

His solos on the other hand I found to be rather disappointing. The technical skill is there of course but what is lacking in his playing is warmth, and an occasional complete disregard for sahityam, especially when rendering krithis. Ragas like Purvikalyani, Sahana, Surutti, Anandabhairavi sound simply spectacular in alapanas but once it comes to rendering a Ninnuvina, Giripainellakonna, Geetharthamu, Marivere the rendition can be absolutely mangled which would completely kill the mood created earlier. His Ninnuvina in Purvikalyani was particularly godawful. There is a version of it at musicindiaonline.com. He simply tears through the sangathis with no regard whatsoever about the mood of the composition (Ninnuvina gamaridikkevvarunaru became Ni-i-i-nu-u-u-vi-i-na ga-a-a-mari-i-i- di-i-i-kevaru--u-u-u-u-u-u-u.. horrible.. horrible). Nowadays he lets his daughter play more and more and she's worse. She has none of his brilliance but all the aggro. Never have I heard Sahana so badly mangled.

In fact I am not a big fan of his rendition of the Saveri varnam as well (although that varnam has become his). The slow tempo is brilliant but when he plays the higher speed, it just sounds violent.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

coolkarni wrote::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

DRS
Once a layman , always a layman...
Once a mortgage, always a mortgage. Cool, we have mortgaged ourselves to you for your humble opinion.

Kaumaaram

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

<<if it was sung/played>>
Oh Yes
I will surely put up VG Jog.(his duets with Vilayath and Bismillah Khan are like the suprabhathams of MS -in stature to the HM rasika)
Though I would opt for DK Datar or even TV Kabadi in AIR Dharwar , if I was forced to listen to Violin in HM.

Kaumaram .. For a feel of the depth that a stringed instrument can create in HM ... just have a look at this fine clip in shudh sarang
Randhir Roy plays the instrument ,Esraj .It is pure bliss.

http://rapidshare.de/files/27872318/Shu ... cert-1.mp3

http://rapidshare.de/files/27877050/Shu ... cert-2.mp3

and Boy !! I almost fell of the chair , reading this !!

Ni-i-i-nu-u-u-vi-i-na ga-a-a-mari-i-i- di-i-i-kevaru--u-u-u-u-u-u-u.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

kaumaaram wrote:While talking of that feeling of being straight jacketed, I think the harmonium suffers from the same drawback in CM. Howsoever well you may try to attempt, certain gamakas, oscillations or embellishments cannot come through well in a keyboard/harmonium and you will have depress the other keys to present the nuances of CM.

Kaumaaram
If you listen to track 1 of the Ata Thala bhairavi varnam rendered in keyboard, I believe I must withdraw my comments.

http://www.kannadaaudio.com/Songs/Instr ... board1.php

Kaumaaram