Re: About Padmashri K.J Yesudas

Post by VK RAMAN »

Because he is a play back singer, he cannot be a vidwat? hmm

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Guru-Sishya sambandha !!

Panthuvarali Exposition

Kindly listen to Chembai and KJY singing Shiva Shiva Shiva Enna radha in 3parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9IEQGld7Gc

Chembai and Yesudas Shiva Shiva Shiva Enna - 1 of 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHyUAl9Y ... re=related

Chembai and Yesudas Shiva Shiva Shiva Enna - 2 of 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr7LqH_d ... re=related
Chembai and Yesudas Shiva Shiva Shiva Enna - 3 of 3

Why he cannot be a vidwat?

venkatakailasam

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

venkatakailasam

KJ Jesudas

I could not get any other thread regarding Shri Jesudas. If there is one ,this can be merged with that one.
Recently I heard him rendering the song 'UdupiSriKrishna' A fine absorbing rendition.
He follows the words of Sree Narayana Guru, "One caste, one religion and one God for all humanity",
You can hear his songs at my blog:

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.com/

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.com/2011/03/blog-post.html

venkatakailasam

rajeshnat

Re: K.J.Yesudas

Post by rajeshnat »

To me personally a great semi classical musician with one of the best voices .Every musician has a special love for chembai, all the more as KJY was chembai bhagavathar's student.
A recent write up about him in The Hindu
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2792876.ece

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

"If music is running in my veins today, I owe it to my guru who is a father-mother-mentor, all rolled into one. But for my austere, affectionate guru Chembai Vaidyanathan, there is no Yesudas - how many of our tamil/kannada/telugu speaking Chennai/Bangalore artists teach pupil from other faith? I like to hear from our respected rasikas.

cmlover

Re: Yesudas photo some 50 years ago!

Post by cmlover »

Great! I remember that face!
Thanks

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Ilayaraja's carnatic concert at Sabarimala with Mavelikkara Krishnankutty Nair on the Mridanga and Yesudas on the Kanjira.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Super! and thanks..
Which year is this?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris
really nice.Looking at illayaraja it is early 80 or mid 80's . What concert he gave - did he sing few carnatic numbers- any idea there?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I understand this was in the late 70s. Not sure of what exactly he sang, but it seems the concert was a carnatic performance.

cacm

Post by cacm »

VK RAMAN wrote: If music is running in my veins today, I owe it to my guru who is a father-mother-mentor, all rolled into one. But for my austere, affectionate guru Chembai Vaidyanathan, there is no Yesudas - how many of our tamil/kannada/telugu speaking Chennai/Bangalore artists teach pupil from other faith? I like to hear from our respected rasikas.
ANYONE who knows anything about twentieth century Carnatic music knows the POINEERING & VISIONARY CONTRIBUTIONS OF CHEMABAI VAIDYANATHA Bhagavathar. Yesudas a prime disciple of Chembai is a GLOBAL THINKER whose MUSIC as well as PERSON far EXCEEDS the artificial superficial narrow views of so called EXPERTS. Technically his VOICE & MUSIC ARE PERFECT. I can only attribute his not being recognised by the so called great music institutions in Madras to STUPIDITY. I am being BLUNT as there is no other explanation.
Incidentally I am a Tamilian-somewhat proud of it due to Bharathiyar etc- from Madras & reflect I am sure the views of many like me who are frustrated that FOOLISH CRITERIA are being used in Twenty First Century. I request at least others from Tamilnadu to supplement my views on this subject. VKV

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

VK RAMAN wrote:how many of our tamil/kannada/telugu speaking Chennai/Bangalore artists teach pupil from other faith? I like to hear from our respected rasikas.
Didn't Smt. DKP teach someone from China - a person from a country where the only recognized faith is probably in the party? Didn't the family of Smt. Balasaraswati adopt Mr. Jon Higgins - not just a man of different faith, but an entirely different culture?
There are plently of bharatanATyam dancers from other faiths, and cultures who learned their art from 'tamil'-speaking gurus in Chennai
I am just making these points to say that this direction is not something we should go in. People have preferences, and all humans are flawed and prejudiced. Let's just leave it at that.
Moving on.....

cacm

Post by cacm »

I DON'T THINK WE SHD. MOVE ON. I AGREE THAT THERE ARE PERSONS WHO ARE ABOVE THESE PETTY CRITERIA BUT THERE ARE OTHERS IN SO CALLED AUTHORITY & POWER THAT ARE REAL & EXIST. I ALSO LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT T.VISWANATHAN WAS THE ONLY MUSICIAN WHO AGREED TO TEACH BOB. BROWN WHEN HE WENT TO MADRAS TO WORK ON HIS THESIS & ONE CAN ACTUALLY ARGUE THAT THIS RESULTED IN HOW CARNATIC MUSIC PROGRAMS IN U.S. UNIVERSITIES HISTORICALLY PROCEEDED FROM THEN ON.
MY MAIN THRUST HAS TO DO WITH YESUDAS & HIS CAPABILITIES AS A MUSICIAN. WHY HE IS NOT BEING RECOGNISEDTO THE EXTENT HE SHOULD BE? IN THIS AGE WE SHOULD BE HONEST, DISCUSS & FIGHT IT. VKV

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Let right thinking people honestly discuss why KJY is not being recognized? I am with cacm on that.

cienu

Post by cienu »

That is a wonderful picture Srkris.. Thanks for sharing..

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I cast my vote with VKV.
Also I suggest that Cleveland Festval should invite him and confer the highest honour on him which will be a wake up call for the prejudiced CM authorities at Chennai...

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear cmlover,
Believe me its not the fault of Cleveland Aradhana that he has not been honoured there yet. VKV :-ss

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Please explain!

cacm

Post by cacm »

I am sorry I cannot explain in this forum. I am personally aware of the attempts made over the years but in this FORUM with PERSONS WHO DO NOT IDENTIFY THEMSELVES I am not FOOLISH to write about matters equivalent to Divorce casesin N.A.: HE SAID-SHE SAID type of things. SORRY. VKV

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

OK!
How else can the CM community honour the "gAna gandharvan"?

cacm

Post by cacm »

cmlover wrote:OK!
How else can the CM community honour the "gAna gandharvan"?
THERE ARE SEVERAL CONCRETE WAYS REG. MADRAS SABHAS:
FIRST & FOREMOST IS TO START A SYSTEMATIC CAMPAIGN WRITING SABHA OFFICIALS IN MADRAS.
THIS CAN TAKE VARIOUS FORMS.
I can attest to at least TWO CASES- DON'T ASK ME TO NAME THE CASES:THEY ARE WITHIN LAST 5 YEARS- that I am aware of that produced successful outcomes. Writing in Rasikas & venting our frustrations is not going to do it. VKV

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

None from Madras Sabhas is part of this august forum! Who wants to bell the cat to start the campaign

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VKR
VKV feels that the Forum is not the route to bring awareness.
I am not so sure!
But even if we start a compaign here there will be very little support!
KJY has already Two strikes against him:
one Christian and the other MalayaLi!
(and perhaps a third one too - he is a Keralite!)

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Several years ago KJY did this rendition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFVwblde9XY - that was for hindus in Kerala who have not yielded to this wish of entering Guruvayur ambalam.

Only thing we can do is to sing a song "Oru divasam Madras Subhas Yesudaasine bahumaanikkum".

cacm

Post by cacm »

VK RAMAN wrote:None from Madras Sabhas is part of this august forum! Who wants to bell the cat to start the campaign
DON'T BE SO SURE! ANONYMITY HAS ITS ADVANTAGES. VKV

cacm

Post by cacm »

cmlover wrote:VKR
VKV feels that the Forum is not the route to bring awareness.
I am not so sure!
But even if we start a compaign here there will be very little support!
KJY has already Two strikes against him:
one Christian and the other MalayaLi!
(and perhaps a third one too - he is a Keralite!
ABRAHAM PANDITHAR DEMOLISHED THIS BEING A CHRISTIAN BUSINESS LONG TIME AGO WHEN THINGS WERE SUPPOSEDLY WORSE. BUT SUCH PREJUDICES ARE NOT CURABLE. Vedanayakam Pillai was not HINDU either....Even today I cannot get into places in temples where another religion person can (even more objectionable to MANY SO CALLED RELIGIOUS BIGOTS) because of the RESPECT FOR SADAS.....
I wish others not interpret what I wrote. Take it for what it is. This forum is one of may be fifty others whose INPUT has the 2 percent weight esp. as among the so called who "COUNT" its reputation is not that great. But I participate because every little thing counts.ignorance & stupidity still are things we have to fight. IT IS AT LEAST FREE IN THE SENSE ALMOST ANY OPINION IS TOLERATED HERE.
There have been Musicians who overcame worse odds- Bec of the UTTER IGNORANCE of the so called Madras Sabhas like the Music Academy- WHO WON OUT BECAuSE OF THE RASIKAS. Can you imagine washing the floors after a concert? Also EVEN BEFORE THE ALLOTED TIME is OVER bringing down the curtain?......There is lot of SHAME to go around.
BORN A Vadadesathu Vadama Brahmin from Madras State but not CLEAR what it means tho' in my days the DOWRY was high....I didn't get any because of influences of a Bania.......VKV
BOTTOM LINE IS NOT TO BE SIDELINED BY THESE FACTORS BUT STRAY STRAIGHT INTO THE GENIUS & STRENGTH OF GREAT ARTISTS. :-ss

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I didn't realize that the picture stirred an old hornet's nest - the question of rightful honours to Yesudas.

There is a good deal of polarization on this issue, some feel he is over hyped already, others feel guilty about his not being still well accepted among connoisseurs.

My own personal view is that both of these are true in their own way - he is over hyped for some really run of the mill stuff while not being appreciated (openly/honestly) for some really seriously well performed music.

The fact of the matter is as a playback singer he needs to appeal to his lay audiences by choosing a low common denominator. As a carnatic musician he needs to set at least a minimum standard. Apparently he does both and thereby creates a conflict.

The confusion arises when:
Carnatic rasikas judge him more by his light music (and resent the undue hype he generates among the laity) and the lay rasikas feel competent to judge his classical music (and resent what they perceive as the cognoscenti's lack of according due recognition due to their apparent latent bias against his caste/religion/region).

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

who are these rasikas, fanatical Iyers and Iyengars? Yesudas first born in a family who believed in Christianity, Second he is a Keralite and third He is not a Hindu. If we rasikas do not want to accept that, so be it. He has millions of fans throughout the World and he will not miss the Mecca of Music

venkatakailasam

First throw away the narrow mind and pettiness and then listen to his music..music only..

As a forum promoting music we should not encourage such parochial tendencies ...

Listen to his concert at Concert 60 at

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2014/01 ... me-ii.html

In another thread somebody said that he deserved SK AWARD and some body laughed at it..

My request is..not to skip listening to his concert..especially vatapi..ganapathim..brilliantly rendered ...in the above link...

Here is a thodi...Anandanatesa-Thodi courtesy Murali..
http://mfi.re/listen/gu42l2nlb6teq9d/08 ... -Thodi.mp3

Is it not soulful music!!

I wonder why SK award is eluding him..!!

cacm

Post by cacm »

quote="srkris"
The fact of the matter is as a playback singer he needs to appeal to his lay audiences by choosing a low common denominator. As a carnatic musician he needs to set at least a minimum standard. Apparently he does both and thereby creates a conflict.
I DO NOT AGREE. Its a SIMPLIFICATION. I find that technically playback singers have perfect alignment with SRUTHI. Without that they simply cannot SURVIVE. Even this "low common denominator" is not being MET by many of today's leading carnatic musicians.
Yesudas is SUPREMELY blessed with a perfect voice technically & has the genius to sing BOTH STYLES OF MUSIC.
I had the privilege of not only meeting him but asking him the following question I ask every artiste: DO YOU perform for your audience& rasikas or do you perform to reach goals like perfection or your own satisfaction?
Without ANY hesitation Yesudas said he performs for his rasikas& audience. Such utter Honesty combined with such Talent is VERY RARE & HE deserves ANY AWARD I CAN THINK OF. VKV :-ss

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Vkailasam
That was a very good recording.
KJY particularly shines at Vivadi and rare Ragas which even vetarans fear to tread!
(of course he is equally comfortable with "standard" paddhathi)

pvs

Post by pvs »

If someone could tap TMK to take KJY's case to the MA, it would be perfect. TMK talks of bringing people from outside the 'fold' to carnatic music. Why not start that with people already performing but due denied recognition?
if only dreams had wings...

harimau

Post by harimau »

Yesterday, March 9, 2014, Sri Yesudas received the Thyagaraja Kala Seva Rathna award from Sri Krishna Gana Sabha.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

harimau wrote:Yesterday, March 9, 2014, Sri Yesudas received the Thyagaraja Kala Seva Rathna award from Sri Krishna Gana Sabha.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 768541.ece

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The chances of a SK for KJY now looks much brighter !
Perhaps TMK has injected a wake-up-call into the somnolent CM World !

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Hope... to.... Dream to ....where.....

sivachinta1965

Post by sivachinta1965 »

Dear Rasikas

Has anybody in the forum the follwing statistics?;

1. Total number public Carnatic Katcheris ( excluding the AIR studio katcheris) by Yesudas

2. Number of carnatic music students who were/are trained/taught by Yesudas.

3. Critical reviews on Yesudas's Carnatic katcheris by critics like Subbudu?

Thanks

Sivaprasad

venkatakailasam

Request join YESUDAS-MUSICAL MAESTRO at Face Book:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/627018664090448/

to listen to more songs of him..

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

shankarank

Re:

Post by shankarank »

cmlover wrote: 11 Dec 2008, 22:07 It is a small group o die-hards who are stifling the growth of CM by stifling it in strait-jackets called Bhakti/Language/Trinity/SSP...etc.,

What KJY is in CM today is self-made and he does not display any Chembai in his PaaNi.
Well felt funny reading this thread - after all the discussions we have had!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSq0islk3XY - Just a different Mridangist from his usual kuTTY Nairs brings out a lot more. There is a kathri svaram too that is Chembai BANi.

@cmlover is he is still reading : these people didn't know why they were appreciating Trinity in the first place!

Sulochana mami was writing in the The Hindu about an unsung Mridangist about 3 years prior to his adornment with a kalanidhi:

https://www.thehindu.com/ms/2004/12/01/ ... 340200.htm

Simple question. Ask all Sabha Secrataries - well not - poor things , ask around their Mayilapore patrons instead, is mridangam music or not - or is it just Entertainment ? ;) :lol:

A vaiNika in Dallas told me , that one of Guhan Venkataraman's concert last season had a Mridangist playing titAngiTa taguntArikiTAtaka to reach arai EDuppu!

I told her that , aDa edupparintu vasikkiratutAnE karNAtaka sangItam, sangItamE atANE!!

I used to hear from Ashok Kalidas that every corner there is a dozen Mridangists in Mayilapore ! They are more populous than the violinists for example. Even with 2500 concerts, there should NOT be one that does this!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ajith Ramachandran wrote a review and educated about Srividya Ramanath singing this song. . I just knew 10 mins back the original rendition. Roughly few years back SPB celebrated his 70th birthday at kollur.Yesudas visited around his 80th birthday. Kollur and Illayaraja are inseperable.Not been to kollur at all

Song :Kudajadriyil Kudi Kollum Maheshwari (Malayalam song)
Film : Neelakkadambu (1985).
Lyrics : K Jayakumar
Music : Raveendran Master

Yesudas is complete musician, completely surrendering with his voice to Kollur Mookambika. Thanks to Srividya Ramanath to sing and Ajit to review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQXPoMBSO7I