K.J.Yesudas

Carnatic Musicians
cameo

K.J.Yesudas

Post by cameo »

Hello All,

Shall we discuss about the presence of the 'Ganagandharvan' KJY in carnatic music. I mean ,generally,His kutcheris,magical voice, How do you rate him or how do you like him etc etc and his contributions to carnatic classical music

Regards
Last edited by cameo on 06 Sep 2008, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Please start threads in proper categories. I have moved this to Vidwans from General Discussions.

revanthv552

Post by revanthv552 »

He is an amazing vocalist according to me...
the ease with which he sings rare compositions is astonishing.....
I have happened to here him render the rAgam kanakAngi...i was really amazed with the way he rendered the ragam[as i heard it was tough to handle this ragam]
He is a wonderful example for showing that religion,caste or anything is never a barrier to sing carnatic music....The devotion and melody in his voice add a beauty to his scholarly knowledge...
He is a blessed musician....And as he was under tutelage of Sri Chembai, no doubt he is a star today...

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

harivarasanam by KJY is one that I enjoy .
but I have listend to that sung by Sirgazhi and I could not find that anywhere , neither in the web nor in the stores. does anyone have that willing to share??? not the one by sivachidambarman but by his father.

cameo

Post by cameo »

but y i asked is whenever in a forum discussed on top ranked carnatic artists, I could hardly see his name topping the chart.
is he not any better than sanjay subramaniam,TNK or whoever is listed in those.. ?

Why is it so?

regards,

poornashadjam

Post by poornashadjam »

Sri Yesudas is certainly one musician who has brought popularity to carnatic music. Even those who have not even heard of a single carnatic concert , would have attended a carnatic concert of Sri Yesudas. His music is different and we cartainly cannot compare his bani with others . That would not be fair. Each musician has his own positives and negatives . It depends on the stage of the listener as to who will be his favourite singer. When once goes and listens to a number of concerts by various singers, he will , over a period of time be able to classify in his own way as to why he is attracted to aparticular style and a particular singer. When one understands the depth of carnatic music he doesn't see the voice or the melody of the singer , you will only go to listen to his vidwath or gnanam or azhuthham. As far as I am concerned , carnatic music is more to do with "vidwath or gnanam or azhuthham" aspects more than melody.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

To a large extent CM 'vidvath' is a matter of personal preference. If there is a general survey among the general population KJY will win hands down! But then the 'so called' 'self-styled gurus' of CM will not admit him as even mediocre. There is no set criteria for judging the best except through personal prejudices. Again many get carried away by the 'so-called' expert opinions without knowing the criteria for evaluation. It is at times the story of 'emperor has no clothes' :)
KJY is as classical as any of the leading CM performers and his shruti is impeccable though at times he over do's. There are folks who will not even consider BMK (a legend) as a top CM performer; just because he sings his own kritis which are equally weighty. The die-hards look only for the Trinity and act as though the Trinity has visited them in their dreams and coronated a specific performer(s) as the best CM performer. The sabhas also toe the line. Madurai Somu one of thhe best was never recognized by the clique just because he sang a lot of emotive 'Tamil' songs. In fact during the early part of 20th century 'Tamil' was considered nIca bhASha by the then CM greats (and some even consider malayalam as one even to-day!). Again they act as though Chennai is the center of CM Universe. Fortunately Bangalore (and Thruvanathapuram...) is exploding the myth.

Who said the playing ground is level in CM?

By the by KJY is padma bhuShan if I remember correctly....

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

coolkarni wrote:with my limited experience in listening
!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

CMLover has hit the nail on the head. Malladi concert chennai had only one tamil song and it was questioned why they did not sing songs with tamil lyrics? It seems Chennai wants to claim that they are the champions and torch bearers of CM.

poornashadjam

Post by poornashadjam »

Hi,

DO you need a second opinion on that ? Chennai IS the centre for carnatic music . It has been the happenning place for almost half a century for carnatic musicians and rasikas.

All languages are good and is the medium of communication and there may be some languages like Telugu , sanskrit etc ,(Urdu also) that is more soft and that may be the reason why Trinities have taken Sanakrit / telugu language for their compositions. No doubt the compositions are captivating and hence these have seen the concert platforms for generations . We are all, sort of ,used to these Trinity compositions. With repeated listening , we get related to the songs . Take for example The Akilandeswari in Dwijavanthi or a Chakkani raja songs ...we will be immediately be able to relate to it. But , same is not the case with say Shree Bhargaveee of Dikshitar - This is a beautiful piece but not popular.This piece has not been sung by our musicians often in concerts ...so it is not popular. This is what is happening to Tamil compositions .We need to sing them or listen to them repeatedly in the concerts . Only then we can see these on equal footings with Telugu compositions.

It is the duty of our musicians to popularise the great tamil compositions . We have a treasure hidden unearthed still . Let us do our bit to make it a point to bring that out . The point is we have to keep listening to these songs repeatedly . I, as a musician ,am particular that I sing either the sub main or the main a tamil composition.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

poornashadjam

Post by poornashadjam »

I am N Sridhar (vocalist) , a student of Susarla Sivaram , TMT Sir and Tanjore Sankara Iyer . I am unfortunate to be away from Chennai and India for the past three months . I am away on an official business . I am getting to know the happennings, this season, through this site.

Regards

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

poornashadjam

Post by poornashadjam »

Mr Koolkarni .

I learnt from Sankara Iyer Sir , during 1993-94 under a sponsorship programme from YACM. I was in my college then . Our relationship still continues - every time I meet him , he teaches a new song . I always admire him for all his profound knowledge and his simplicity. When I am back in India , I will meet him . He does not easily forget anyone . He will be able to recollect and recognise you. Will be a pleasure if you can join me when I meet him, on my return to India.

Thinking - how best I can do something concrete to this Doyen , befitting his scholarship.

Regards

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Bravo coolkarni!
spoken like a gentleman and a True Rasika without any Pride or Prejudice. How nice it will be if every Lover of CM (call them Rasikas if you will) were just as frank and open like you!

It is a small group o die-hards who are stifling the growth of CM by stifling it in strait-jackets called Bhakti/Language/Trinity/SSP...etc., Most of us get brain-washed listening to them and by putting them on a pedestal. The tragedy is they inculcate their prejudices onto their 'shishyas' and promote them as the model for the future 'petrification' of CM in their chosen mold. Having hobnobbed with the oldies for a generation I know how much stink there is in those buckets which I will not unload here! At least some of the younger generation of CM artistes are breaking those shackles and are bringing in a breath of fresh air to clear that 'stink'.

I acknowledge the musical genius of the Trinity. But they did have their personal prejudices just like any other humans! It is totally wrong to deify them just for their musical ability. If that is true CM should be littered with saints as we had/have 'giants' with similar musical skills. Their compositions have no real literary or poetic value compared to those of many others. Even Telugu scholars consider Thyagaraja compositions prosaic and mundane (even lack of ideas!) and the language not even pure! (Shoot me down if you consider this a blasphemy!) I cannot comment on these issues since I am Telugu ignorant but am getting convinced more and more after reading the interpretaions of T's lyrics by VGV!). On the other hand Dikshitar's Sanskrit is very ordinary (just a string of hyperbolic Tatpurushas and bahuvrihis) which will not hold a candle to any other (even) mediocre sanskrit composition of a lay poet. Just stringing together 'namaami/vandEham/smaraami/cintayaami/....' to over 50 deities (incarnations of a selected few but of course the only Brahman) does not make a composition with any laudable literary merit! In spite of the pedestrian nature of their compositions I do admit their music is par excellence and my obeisance to them for gifting it to CM. But the self same music should be liberated from their prosaic compositions to be enjoyed by the millions in all other languages/ culture groups. If Rama and Krishna will respond to CM who said Jesus and Allah /Mother India will not respond to the same emotive CM!

I should stop digressing from the topic of this thread. I know the strugggle KJy had to go through to get to learn CM in spite of his tremendous talent. None of the 'elites' in Chennai would accept him as a sishya due to their built-in brahmin prejudice (one can see it is even rampant in Thyagaraja's compositions which was the order of the day during the 19th century!) Finally the iconoclast Chembai did deign to accept KJY against all oppositions too late but taught him only for two years before his demise. What KJY is in CM today is self-made and he does not display any Chembai in his PaaNi. KJY has wailed for not having been born as an Iyer or Iyengar to have had the previlege of learning CM traditionally under a proper Guru. His exile into the film-world was out of necessity. His heart was all along in CM while the Establishment always considered him a 'pariah'. If GKB were alive he would have penned a moving 'KJY Charithram' based on KJY's devotion to Lord Ayyappa. His travails to get to sing in front of Guruvayoorappan is yet another story!

cameo

Post by cameo »

let me give a break to thank all those who posted on this topic,

i was eager to read all those posts especially CMlovers last post.. Though im a diehard fan of KJY,i came to know about this,his struggle to get traditional teaching in CM during his earlier days due to those mentioned stuffs,im wondered..of course i am entirely new to this forum..and the CM world..

anyways,hope the thread doesnt break,
by the way,i managed to get an autograph from KJY and a moment to wish him after todays kutcheri at NGS.

--cameo
Last edited by cameo on 11 Dec 2008, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

We admit Tamil is rich so are other languages and the singer hailing from which ever part of India should sing the songs he feels comfortable maintaining the integrity of the lyrics. Goodluck to Poornashadjam in his musical journey.

poornashadjam

Post by poornashadjam »

Thank you very much Sri VK Raman and Sri Coolkarni for the wises.

I have uploaded a few kritis from my recent Ramana kendra concert at chennai . It will be my pleasure and a great help if you can please listen to them and give me your valuable feed back. I dont know whether it be ok if I give the link here . Else can you please share your personal ids.

Regards

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

poornashadjam

Post by poornashadjam »

Thanks for that Mr Coolkarni .

The link is http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d3ea ... b9a8902bda

There are three songs in the upload in ragas - Divyamani , Ranjani and Mayamalavagowlai. For Ranjani I have sung the ragam.

Regards

cameo

Post by cameo »

Awesome...

sir, do you teach ?

--cameo

poornashadjam

Post by poornashadjam »

Yes ! I do that at a very limited level ( mostly because of time constriants ) when in chennai . I work for a Software company and sometimes I am on travel . When I am away I do the teaching through the Skype/ gtalk. I prefer my students at levels - Varnam and above.

Request you to please listen to the link above .

Regards

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Very nice Sridhar.
I echo the sentiments of coolkarni and consider it a privilege to have you in our midst. Your singing is very refined and classical as well as you have a strong Tri sthAyi voice. I could see the strong influence of TMT in you!
The ranjani was just superb and I spontaneously joined your audience in the accolade.
Whose kriti is that? (?TSI)
Do share more with us and also contribute your wealth of knowledge in our discussions.

Thank you!

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks Sridhar - will certainly give it a listen and wish you all the best for your musical endeavours. My own advice as a layman and (possibly) as someone junior to you is to look for the best compositions in all languages including Tamil.

Coming back, to the thread, KJY epitomizes a breed of musicians who are adored by the masses and panned by critics. I've always wondered why they get so much flak. I am not a great fan or KJY - despite the out of the world Thodi above - but I can't find anything wrong with his music either (to the limited extent I listen to it). You don't get to that level if you are "bad" or even average.

It is true that the masses stream in for the Brahma Mokattis and what have you - but the pre tani section is usually quite fine - sometimes even enjoyable. I think that the critics are probably infuriated by the disconnect between the quality of the music and the response of the audience which is, more often than not, true of such artistes.

Perhaps there are also some glaring technical deficiencies which are beyond my grasp. Coolji would remember certain finer points about the music of a certain giant at the dinner table! However such technical points are usually missing from the gripes of critics or die-hards who all too often couch their criticism in impenetrable jargon like lack of vidwat etc without getting into the specifics.

I am listening to the Thodi - what a fine effort it is, despite the Hindolam overdose in the middle and the falsetto at the end...if there is anything lacking, it is only restraint...but also notice where the applause comes!

vijay

Post by vijay »

Sridhar, I heard the Mayamalavagowla - phenomenal stuff!! You really ought to be performing in Chennai!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Lovely renditions Sridhar. Thanks for sharing those three songs. We are blessed to have you among us in our musical journey together.

poornashadjam

Post by poornashadjam »

Your comments are really encouraging Sirs. Thanks a lot. Mr cmlover - the ranjani song is composed by Lalita santhanam.

Mr Vijay - I am unfortunately away from India now ( back only on the 24th). I did not accept any concerts this December. I would have done a few concerts had I been in Chennai. But the December Music scene for upcoming musicains like me, with no proper push and god fathers, is extremely discouraging . It is really unfortunate that one needs to do a lot of self marketing and keep calling the sabhas repeatedly even for afternoon slots. There are also cases where money plays . It is Disgusting sometimes .

Regards

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Sridhar
Was it the wife of Maharajapuram Santhanam?

I weep for the politics played at Chennai (and elsewhere) where capable musicians like you are sidelined. While CM transports us to a dream world the real world is harsh and unkind just as the biography of KJY depicts who however did succeed despite the machinations of Sabhas and envious Peers!

But you have a fan-base right here and we will enjoy your music with genuine appreciation whenever you are ready! Good Luck!

poornashadjam

Post by poornashadjam »

Mr cmlover,

I am delighted and am always ready for music.

This Lalita santhanam is not any way related to Maharajapuram nor is she to be confused with Lalita santhanam of Sattur Sisters.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

This site has 45+ of Sri KJY renditions for listen and download:
LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Sridhar: That is fantastic. Very good singing. Thanks for sharing your music with us.

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

CML,
You seem to suffer from Trinityfobia. Whilst the whole music world have acclaimed their genius, you seem to differ from it. None of the three propagated their music, it was their sishyas and us who have accepted wholeheartedly. Why comment on the quality of the compositions? Thyagaraja never composed for others to sing but it was his feelings which was expressed in a musical form. I need not teach you that as you are extremely learned and well versed in many subjects!
MD's compositions in sanskrit is ordinary per you. But that ordinary is extraordinary for the whole world.
I am not sure whether it is this thread or somewhere you have claimed that many composers seek musicians to tune and sing their compositions and they were demanded payment to do so. Where as the trinity compositions have been accepted by one and all, which is because of certain specialty that it has. And a few who sing these compositions claim copyrights. Again, the reason why musicians cling to the trinity compositions which is because of reluctance to change and accepting a change is difficult and takes time. This is not only in the music world but in every facet of life (process changes in companies, style of living etc) Why blame only the musicians for that?
KJY has gone thru a rough time in being accepted as sishya or as a CM. Quite true, but is it only him. There are many more (past-present-future) musicians whether it be bhramin / non bhramin. Who is to blame for that. It is US because we keep attending / hero worshiping a few musicians who are famous / have attained FAME (TNS, Sanjay and the like and this is applicable to past heroes as well). A TNS concert even in a bad day attracts a full house where as a real good musician attracts not more than 50 audience. If TNS ends his concert in 2 hours after starting 30 mins late, the justification given by his die hard fans is, many of the audiences walked out and therefore he would have decided to end it soon:)
This will not change unless and until we change our mindset.
Last edited by musicfan_4201 on 13 Dec 2008, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I think that CML only reminds us that Carnatic music does not begin and end with three people. His words remind us, also, that if they are to be appreciated, it should be for the right reasons, and not without criticism, if criticism is due.

You may say that it easy for me, as a non-Indian, to say this, but I have always been a little uncomfortable with the attribution of sainthood! For what are we attributing sainthood to thyagaraja? For meditating upon Ram for every minute of his existence? I don't argue with that, but it is a religious accomplishment, not a musical one.

However, I still say, as a non-Indian, non-Hindu, non-musically-experienced (compared to professionals, academics or better-informed rasikas) individual, that Thyagaraja's music has always struck a chord (forgive the technically inappropriate and unintended pun!) with me. It is no small thing to write a great melody, and I'm tempted (but not really qualified) to say that he ranks with other composers of the world, saints or not, such as Beathoven, Mozart, Lennon; the people who have given us the tunes we hum, whether or not we know where they came from.

I can appreciate Thyagaraja's melodies. I can also understand that a devotee of Ram finds greater, perhaps deeper, experience in listening to those melodies, and that for them it includes religious experience.

I can also listen to Handel's fabulous Messiah and be moved to tears of joy, without being a Christian.

When music truly moves us, it is a transcendent, spiritual experience: it doesn't matter whether the origin of the music is religious or not. All music is equal in that respect and potential (OK, perhaps some music is more equal than others!). It is given to a few performers, artists, actors, to be able to move us in this way. I could even add priests to the list: how many pujas have you all experienced, and how many have brought you the experience of deep inner peace or inspiration?

About KJY. His voice is like velvet. My objections are that he likes to talk about religion, which is not what I go to a concert to hear, and that he does not give fair share of the time to his accompanists. It must be four years at least since I last saw him sing; I could be way off the mark for today. I can say that I certainly appreciate his dedication and struggle against the establishment to even get to sing at all.

I have a ticket covering one of his concerts this year; it's time I updated my experience!

cameo

Post by cameo »

adding to my woes...
here's one more..
I have been reading the kutcheri reviews, though i know nothing abt it..just curious on what is being performed.
and to my knowledge,there were about 2-3 concerts of KJY during the last few days. .
but no reviews ?

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

cameo wrote:adding to my woes...
here's one more..
I have been reading the kutcheri reviews, though i know nothing abt it..just curious on what is being performed.
and to my knowledge,there were about 2-3 concerts of KJY during the last few days. .
but no reviews ?
KJY has the distinction of bringing the crowd listen to CM by his magical voice. His renditions sometimes have been pretty excellent. His shruti scale might be low, yet his voice had captivated the audience. I have been mesmerised by his voice. If his concerts have not been reviewed, it might be sheer omission or least prejudice and nothing more. Since his improvisation process had suffered due to his association with the film music, it is likely that everyone gets a feel that he is a good semi-classical artist.

About three concerts could found in my folder:

www.sangeethamshare.org/kaumaram

And also the Tamil Isai Sangam concert in the main page of Sangeethapriya.

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... lisai1986/

He has rendered two Thiruppugazh songs excellently well.
Last edited by kaumaaram on 31 Dec 2008, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

K J Yesudas (Dasettan as Mallus call him affectionately; Gaanagandharvan - as many in my state say...). What is so special about him???

1. God-Gifted Razor sharp, Crystal clear voice and 110% adherence to Shruti
2. Can easily go all octaves (downwards and upwards)
3. Good diction (he keeps on improving it)

I hope everyone know some facts: MSG, TNK, TVG etc had accompanied him on the violin and the mrudangam (respectively) when he was more actively involved in singing concerts.

As we all know, he is more into playback singing. So, when we compare him to full time Vidwans, he may lag when it comes to Sangatis and also manodharmam. Regarding his Vidwat, I don't want to stir the hornet's nest by commenting on it :) But, he is still one of my favorite artists when I talk about playback singing, but not in the field of Carnatic Music.

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

IMO, I always think of K.J.Yesudas only as a play back singer more than as a Carnatic Vidhwan.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

raghavt: What do you mean by Mallus?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Mallus means Malayalis like Gujaratis are called Gujjus.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

vallaki wrote:IMO, I always think of K.J.Yesudas only as a play back singer more than as a Carnatic Vidhwan.
Exactly

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Lakshman wrote:Mallus means Malayalis like Gujaratis are called Gujjus.
Mallus = Malayalam speaking people (like me) :)

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

KJY is an inspiration for many people to listen CM in Kerala. Nowadays not many songs in Malayalam has the same explicit CM as it was during 70s & 80s.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

How are tamil speaking people called, Kongan?

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

vganesh wrote:KJY is an inspiration for many people to listen CM in Kerala. Nowadays not many songs in Malayalam has the same explicit CM as it was during 70s & 80s.
Yes, but that inspiration is limited to semi-classical stuff either taken from films or devotional albums. I know some people who went to listen to music concerts of other vidwans after hearing KJY. They said they could not 'digest' it as it was too 'heavy' and 'boring' :)

Now with the demise of the master composer Raveendran, classical touch in the songs are less. Also, the film songs are now 'trendy' in line with other language films (weak copies of Hindi and Tamil film music).

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

VK RAMAN wrote:How are tamil speaking people called, Kongan?
gULTI = Telugu Speaking
Mallu - Malayalam speaking

For People not living in the southern 4 states, we are all 'Madrasis'

cameo

Post by cameo »

Any reason why there is no concert of his in the Music Academy during this season?

cpblog

Re: About Padmashri K.J Yesudas

Post by cpblog »

Respected Rasikas,

Inviting you all to a "Parvathi", Mysuru concert from April 18, 1976 with
K.J.Yesudas ----Vocal
Mysore M Nagaraj -----Violin
Erode Gururajan ------Mridangam
Sheshagiri Das -----Khanjira
Manjunath ----Ghatam

Please enjoy!!! at
http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/