Ramnad Krishnan

Carnatic Musicians
m_gopala

Post by m_gopala »

most musicians bring out the pathos of sahana , but RK brings the delight in the teasing padam ini enna pechu? ellarkum nagaippachu. the way he rolls the gamakams effortlessly is simply great. Manadukkisainda padi aachche, mattu meeri pochche!

Jim

Post by Jim »

Just to get things rolling again... Here's a story from 1968.

I learned Telisi Rama Chintanato from Krishnan with the chittiswara: r-gmrsnp-prsr-gm|r--p-mrg|mpdps---|| etc. A friend taught me the other chittaswara (r--rgmrgmp- etc.), which is the more common one I believe, and I wrote it down in my music notebook. When I showed off my knowledge of the new chittaswara to Krishnan at my next lesson he made a face and told me it was no good -- went out of the raga. I still have the notebook and the huge "X" that he wrote through that chittaswara. I always wondered, was this RK just asserting a preference or is there a genuine disagreement about the appropriateness of two Poorna Chandriga chittaswaras?

ragam-talam

Re: Ramnad Krishnan

Post by ragam-talam »

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

http://www.hinduonnet.com/16hdline.htm
Obituary entry
Mrs. K. Mangalam, W/o. late Mr. Ramnad Krishnan (Carnatic Musician) passed away on 01.06.2010.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

My heart felt condolences to the family members
Thanjavooran 05 06 10

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Condolences to the family. She was the daughter of Umayalpuram Kothandarama Iyer the Ghatam Vidwan who played for the great stalwarts in the Twenties and thirties and in his later life played for MSS at the behest of Semmangudi Mama. Soft and yet elegant style much appreciated by PMI.
It must have been awfully tough for the lady after RK's death in the sixties--almost 40 years back.

May her soul rest in peace!! I understand that she was a soft and devoted lady.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

:lol:
ragam-talam wrote:Awesome [update][/update]uploads here:
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/rao_sharath/RK/
ragam-talam:Thanks for this link. Very enjoyable d/loads.
Especially Kaligiyunte in Keeravani i had never heard by RK. His favourite in Keervani being "varamulosage". Thanks once again for these uploads. :lol:
VS Manjunath

Can seniors of the Forum comment on the following : RK popularised many of Patnam Subramania Iyer's compositions- Any Specific reason behind this or He loved PS Iyer's compositions and popularised them ??[update][/update]

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Can seniors of the forum may please share the the secret behind Ramnad Krishnan's popularising many Patnam Subramania Iyer's compositions.It is very clear he wanted to popularise PS Iyer's compositions which is very evident from his available recordings.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/rao_sharath/RK/

Just finished listening to all the uploads on here. What an artist...there are so many shades from a variety of schools that he brings, yet remains an "Originale"!

askn

Post by askn »

The Ragam Tanam Pallavi has for long been the centrepiece of a concert performance. It includes all aspects of improvisation and also shows the artiste's competence in handling difficult technical situations. This programme has Ramnad Krishnan, an acknowledged master, singing a pallavi in Todi set in Chatushra Jati Jhampa tala, 3 kalai. www.radioweb.in

narayan

Post by narayan »

Sruti magazine's May 2012 issue features Ramnad Krishnan. Interesting tit-bits on the man and a glimpse at his influence even on current day musicians. Learned from the main feature that he was the one who has tuned Govardhana Giridhara in D.Kanada and Kalaya Yasode in S.Sarang. The few minutes of both of these songs are unforgettable for those who have heard the recordings, I guess.

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/?3vt0slu4bth22be

A wonderful neraval . RK in fine form

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

E SWARA -001-Shri Ramnad Krishnan-Bhavayami Raguramam..

The song was provided by Shri. Khaanthan Balakrishna Sastri which was tagged to Chitraveena Shri Ravi Kiran in the Face Book.
Khaanthan Balakrishna Sastri has to his credit a film on the Carnatic Music Legend Ramnad Shri Krishnan titled MUSICIANS' MUSICIAN.
Recently Ramnad Krishnan's son Ramanathan has located a very rare rendering of BHAVAYAMI by the legend. Yet another treat to music lovers.
This is for you to enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCsBeQ3QDG4

By Ramanad Krishnan at my blog..reach...

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2011/03 ... er_25.html

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Nice Bhavayaami....Very Good Video Mixing frm various sources.......Happy to hear & watch your You Tube Uploads!! Thanks once again.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

It is Ramnad Krishnan's birthday today (Sept 14).
I have been looping this beautiful Sriranjani of his today. https://soundcloud.com/ramesh-balasubra ... sriranjani

I believe Radioweb is running a special all day. http://radioweb.in/artistes/ramnad-krishnan

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

vs_manjunath wrote
Can seniors of the forum may please share the the secret behind Ramnad Krishnan's popularising many Patnam Subramania Iyer's compositions.It is very clear he wanted to popularise PS Iyer's compositions which is very evident from his available recordings.
I saw that this question was not answered. Ramnad Krishnan got a lot of his repertoire from Brinda-Muktha including Thyagaraja and Patnam songs. B-M learnt Patnam songs from their aunt (periyammA) Rajalakshmi, the eldest daughter of Veena Dhanammal. Rajalakshmi learnt directly from Patnam himself. intakaNTE kAvalanA (kannaDA), abhimAnamu (bEgaDA), rAmA ika nannu (sahAnA) were some of the songs of Patnam that RK learnt from B-M.

cacm

Post by cacm »

TRUE but Ramnad Raghavan stayed hardly 2 months in USA! VKV

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

RaviSri-Thanks for your reply.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Following up on Ravi Sri's comments on B-M's influence on RK's music--add to it the fact that he came under B-M's tutlelage when he must have been in HIS early/late forties(i.e.1950's)--earlier he was known to imitate GNB's style in terms of high speed brigas--In my opinion B-M shaped his talents,did not dampen his penchant for brisk brigas and widened his repertoire for which RK was eternally grateful--not that the acknowledgement ever deterred Brindamma from giving a poke in the ribs(after wandering around you have come to the right place!!!) Brindamma -- and in my opinion rightfully so -- never failed to "dish out" her feelings no matter how high the Vidwan may have been when she felt there was unjust treatment and Boy were there plenty of instances of benign neglect and indifference amongst the powers-that-be!!!.
When the "gang"(B-M et al) got together they would poke fun at RK --ofcourse in jest--(RK in his normal verbal exchanges will exhibit an unusually hasty delivery almost panting for breath which used to be the topic of fun for Musiri,Brindamma et al.-- a kind of nervous nellie--he felt so much out of place at Wesleyan--a golden opportunity given to him thanks to T Viswa--he felt homesick and despite pleas from V.Thygarajan,V.Nagarajan and T Viswa--returned without completing his tenure.

LGJ,PMI all had a very high regard for RK.

cacm

Post by cacm »

LET me express a slightly different angle. I had known RK for a very long time; Both HE & I had listened to GNB from the road below at HINDU High School ''& several other locations as neither of us could spare the one rupee in those days. The vidwans were not admitted free in those days! While he was in the company of elite musicians the economics of his livelihood was very stark & not good till very late in his career. In desperation I requested MMI if he would let him play Thambura in a few of his concerts so he could earn a few rupees MMI said RK was a GREAT VIDWAN & he should not be put in a position to play thambura for him-in those days playing Thambura was reserved for sishyas & lower level types-He did give some financial help....When RK was trying to break through he was in desperation forced to experiment though Sankarasivam's training was very sound & RK was acknowledged by ALL the leading vidwans to be a high caliber musician.As MKR has said PMI publicly stated when he was asked about who the good musicians were- his openness&bluntness was well known- readily volunteered to say RK was very good. Of course LGJ with his uncanny abilities had stated many times how good RK was....He is the prime example of a person in those days who struggled to survive so he could express his creativity & SUCCEEDED late in his career to get the financial & artistic recognition he so richly deserved...VKV

varsha

Post by varsha »

wrong post
Last edited by varsha on 16 Sep 2013, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Varsha,
My reason for including or excluding has nothing to do with the niceities of the situations. To me its part OF OUR HISTORY & PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW IT. No point in NOT covering the circumstances esp. as there are opinions EXPRESSED here that the EARLIER PART of his singing was better etc. Its a fact that RK was a UNIQUE TALENT but was forced to TRY DIFFERENT things to get attention. The fact is UNLESS one was A GNB, MSS, OR MMI the audiences & sabhas did not flock to listen to them tho' the major vidwans, critics & rasikas praised them PERSONALLY. A VERY SENIOR VIDWAN (who shall remain nameless) told me that an ENTIRE GENERATION of musicians patterned themselves UNSUCCESSFULY AFTER GNB because of his success and FAILED (according to him).
If I have to ADD KNOWLEDGE 100 PERCENT OF THE TIME the ONLY WAY I can take part is TO KEEP QUIET which I will do from now on. I was attempting to explain that it was NOT JUST THE MUSIC that matters in the success of the musicians. MY VIEWS are obviously different than yours but if its considered inappropriate the only solution is to refrain from participation. VKV

varsha

Post by varsha »

MY VIEWS are obviously different than yours but if its considered inappropriate the only solution is to refrain from participation. VKV
pl do continue .I take back my feelings :)

Ramasubramanian M.K

A slight digression and perhaps useless trivia--my forte I might add:

RK taught vocal music to Smt Kamala Narayan(nee Kumari Kamala) in the early fifties--our family was/is still in touch with her and her family- Kamala was living with her mother and sisters in a nice modern bungalow in a lane called De Monte lane connecting San Thome High Road to the Beach.During the summer months when myself and my sister came to Madras,along with our cousins used to visit them and play cards,carrom etc. Generally when she did not have dance rehearsal with Vazhuvoor Ramiah Pillai(the dance rehearsals were rigorous and frequent and the practice schedules were tight because of Kamala's Dance commitments),RK would come for tuition.(he used to live in Nadu Street in Mylapore (as I recall)--not far from San Thome)

One day in late April.he came as per the schedule in one of those hand-drawn rickshaws to teach- in 102 degree heat-that was the day we had all planned to have fun,visit the Marina Canteen,movies etc--big deal in those days for us kids!!!. We had gathered in Kamala's house and were playing-when RK arrived Kamala was in no mood for tuition and literally pleaded with RK to reschedule much against her Mom's will .Somehow she "sweet-talked" RK saying we have come from Bombay etc etc. RK was very understanding-Kamala was sweet enough to send him back in her car--he was a good teacher--very patient(ofcourse Kamala's celebrity status may also have been a factor!!)I think Kamala has given a record Kaddana Variki in Thodi(I think this was taught by RK!!)

Seriously though as CACM pointed out his early career was dwarfed by the giants--SSI,MMI,GNB and did not have a mentor like KVN had (Ariyakudi/Palghat Mani Iyer) and TNK had in SSI. As they say One has got to be in the right place and at the right time!!!

cacm

Post by cacm »

He lived in Appu Mudali street also near Kapali temple. i dare not go further as I can get into trouble here(on probation on a short lease). VKV :-@

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

Absolutely delightful MKR. As a fanatic of Kamala, I envy you that you could personally not just interact with a live wire genius but even play with her, go for outings etc. How is the Lotus that Sprouted a Thousand Petals now? I am curious to know since she is now 79? I have spoken to her thrice in the 80s and 90s. What a simple, unpretentious soul, a humility that belied her great art and her enormous fame!

Kamala has given 2 or 3 vocal concerts, but when she was young. Pity she went away to the US. It was India's great loss and still remains so. Whence comes another such as she!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Ravi Sri: Yes--those were good old days--she was non-pareil when it came to dance.Unfortunately Life has not been too kind to her--she is very much a part of the NY scene--living by herself--see her regularly at the Temple--still manages to teach students driving long distances --unfortunately much of the local crowd have no idea of her greatness as a dancer.her only son is married and well-settled in California--despite several entreaties to his mother to wind up her teaching assignments and move to California(bay Area)--richer in culture than the NY area I might add--she is stubborn and chooses to to live her life independently with a deep "Nenjil Oru Mul"(thorn in her heart) feeling of not being recognized properly by the Govt of India and a host of other grievances.Socially in the NY-NJ area she is being treated with the respect that she deserves but does not seem enough for her.

For a person absolutely fun-loving and compassionate to the core she is now a shadow of her old self. Life has made her a bitter and lonesome person.
Sorry for the digression on RK .

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:RK taught vocal music to Smt Kamala Naraya(nee Kumari Kamala) in the early fifties--our family was/is still in touch with her and her family- Kamala was living with her mother and sisters in a nice modern bungalow in a lane called De Monte lane connecting San Thome High Road to the Beach. During the summer months when myself and my sister came to Madras, along with our cousins used to visit them and play cardscarrom etc. Generally when she did not have dance rehearsal with Vazhuvoor Ramiah Pillai (the dance ehearsals were rigorous and frequent and the practice schedules were tight because of Kamala's Dance commitments), RK would come for tuition. (he used to live in Nadu Street in Mylapore (as I recall)--not far from San Thome)

One day in late April, he came as per the schedule in one of those hand-drawn rickshaws to teach- in 102 degree heat-that was the day we had all planned to have fun, visit the Marina Canteen, movies etc--big deal in those days for us kids!!!. We had gathered in Kamala's house and were playing-when RK arrived Kamala was in no mood for tuition and literally pleaded with RK to reschedule much against her Mom's will. Somehow she "sweet-talked" RK saying we have come from Bombay etc etc. RK was very understanding-Kamala was sweet enough to send him back in her car--he was a good teacher--very patient (of course Kamala's celebrity status may also have been a factor!!) I think Kamala has given a record Kaddana Variki in Thodi (I think this was taught by RK!!)
Ramesh mama these links are for you and RaviSri...

https://soundcloud.com/archive-of-india ... ye-yashoda

https://soundcloud.com/archive-of-india ... -laksmanan

Jim

Post by Jim »

I was pulled back to this forum after a long absence because I wondered how the discussion might be progressing. Next year, 2017, on September 14 I believe, will be the 100th anniversary of the birth of Ramnad Krishna. I would imagine that there will be some musical observances of this event. Three years ago, at the end of December in 2012, I was fortunate to be able to return to India after a 42 year absence. I came with many recordings of RK's music that I had made in 1968, 1970 and 1971. For some of these recordings I had the only copy. For example, his Music Academy performance (Kalyani was particularly memorable) in December of 1970. Also, 10 javelis that he recorded just for me. These recordings I gave to his son, RK Ramanathan, whose appreciation was beyond description. It was my pleasure. Two years ago Ramanathan visited me in the States and returned to India with his father's tamboura (see post #61), which I had been keeping since 1967. I was very happy to see this instrument reunited with the family.

Also, even though it came up as an "off subject," the major reason that I returned to this forum today was that I knew I had requested and received an answer to learn the name of a certain kriti that smacked of Western music: Raghu Vamsa Sudha. Thank you again, Vasanthakokilam (see post #75). I took particular interest in this piece and recently composed a church anthem (4 part choral music) based on the chittiswara from that kriti (in Western style). What goes around comes around.

I hope to see more conversation on RK, especially as his centennial is coming soon.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Jim
Many of us donot know much about Ramnad krishnan , as he passed away in 1973. Every musician refers him as musicians musician . May be if it is okay you can also share what you shared with his son. Also if there are any photographs that you have please do share.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Hi Jim! Welcome back.
Can you post your composition based on raghuvamSa sudhAmbudhi candra?

Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello R Shankar, Here is the composition I wrote based on the chittaswara of Raghuvamsa Sudha. It is scored for chorus and woodblock percussion and is set to the text of Psalm 47, which is an uplifting text from The Bible. The soundcloud version is actually just a version from the Finale music software, not a performance, but you can get the idea.

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=jim%20McConaughy

narayara000

Re:

Post by narayara000 »

Jim wrote: 10 Jan 2010, 03:54 Just to get things rolling again... Here's a story from 1968.

I learned Telisi Rama Chintanato from Krishnan with the chittiswara: r-gmrsnp-prsr-gm|r--p-mrg|mpdps---|| etc. A friend taught me the other chittaswara (r--rgmrgmp- etc.), which is the more common one I believe, and I wrote it down in my music notebook. When I showed off my knowledge of the new chittaswara to Krishnan at my next lesson he made a face and told me it was no good -- went out of the raga. I still have the notebook and the huge "X" that he wrote through that chittaswara. I always wondered, was this RK just asserting a preference or is there a genuine disagreement about the appropriateness of two Poorna Chandriga chittaswaras?
Hello, can you please post Ramnad Krishnan's chittaswaram in full

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

What can one say about shri Ramnad krishnan we are about to celebrate his centenary. The finesse of GNB brigas tempered with veena dhanammal sensitivity .I only started to hear RK after the internet forums . I cannot take away from my life his RTP sahana, shree ranjani (bhuvini dAsudE) , kalyana rAmA (hamsanadam)and akshayalingo (sankarabharanam) . The list is endless heard many of the recordings , sad that he was snatched when he was 54 years in 1973.

There is one concert tagged of Ramnad krishnan with Lakshmi Narayanan (Violin) and Trichy Sankaran Sir(Is that really Trichy Sankaran can some one like semmu and mahavishnu confirm if mrudangist is sankaran sir , he appears slightly slower than the usual sankaran sir).

Googling Lakshmi Narayanan it appears there is a violinist C Lakshmi Narayanan or is that V Lakshminarayanan(dad of trio L Subramaniam , L Shankar and L Vaidyanathan). Can some one confirm the right violinist??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taZzQMQ6Jko

Song list of the above concert with lot of rare patnam compositions which was his speciality

1. rare KAnadA varnam - what is the opening line did not get it
2. nijamArmalunu (S) - umabharanam -T
3. enta nerchina saphala - saveri - Patnam

4. kArubAru (R) - mukhari - T
5. shree venkatesa - phalamanjari - Patnam
6. amma rAvammA (R N S) - kalyani - T

7. shree mAthrubhootam - kannada - T
8. lavanya rAma - poornashadjam -T
9. tulasamma - devagAndhari - T

10. varumulOsagi (R S T) - keeravani - Patnam
11. kamas thukkada
12. smara sundarAnguni - pharaz - dharmapuri subbarayar

13. rama rama -bhairavi -??
14. Hamsanaadam thukkada
15. govardhana giridhAra govinda - darbAri kAnada - NT
16. pavamAna

A great mahavidwan who balances the intellect and emotive quotient.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

A brilliant talk by TMK on Ramnad Krishnan's music (in manipravalam):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4e2llnNmds

ranjanimalavi

Post by ranjanimalavi »

Varnam in the above post

http://www.karnatik.com/c3018.shtml

Raman

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

rajeshnat wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 07:25 There is one concert tagged of Ramnad krishnan with Lakshmi Narayanan (Violin) and Trichy Sankaran Sir(Is that really Trichy Sankaran
I just listened to the final few minutes of the thani avarthanam. It is UKS Sir. Its a classic thanjAvur school mOhrA kOrvai.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

kvchellappa wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 17:16 A brilliant talk by TMK on Ramnad Krishnan's music (in manipravalam):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4e2llnNmds
In spite of TMK's views on how Ramnad demolished the Male/Female domain seperation in terms of musical expression - the clip played at the beginning says it all - even with that ravais and brighas the majesty ( should majesty be only for males?) of the rendition stands out as they ( him and the Mridangist) descend to samam!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

should majesty be only for males
Where I come from, during my lifetime, it was always Hers

:lol:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

True. Mine was a rhetorical ask anyways :) In terms of royalty there have been a few India and Europe old times!

varsha

Post by varsha »

What can one say about shri Ramnad krishnan we are about to celebrate his centenary.
https://archive.org/details/nnenyako
celebrating ... by listening to his disciples
nAgmani srinAth -
and old favourite track here

varsha

Post by varsha »

vijay.siddharth

Why Ramnad Krishnan sir?

Post by vijay.siddharth »

In recent times, I have been listening to a lot of recordings by Ramnad Krishnan sir, since pretty much everyone in Carnatic music circles have been going gaga over him and how they have tried but failed to imitate his unique style of singing. But, I find that, with the exception of his handling of ragams like Sahana and Shankarabharanam, I can learn more listening to a Madurai Somu sir or a TS Kalyanaraman sir or an MLV amma rather than Ramnad Krishnan sir. So, what does make Ramnad Krishnan sir's music so fantastic or hair raising more than that of a Madurai Somu sir (my personal favourite), Kalyanaraman sir or MLV amma?

kvchellappa

Re: Why Ramnad Krishnan sir?

Post by kvchellappa »

This is his centenary year. He was a musician's musician as some jambavan has said. He followed Dhanammal school, that is considered the hallmark of CM. Sometimes, one has to cultivate the ears for a particular musician, as for CM itself. There is a tendency to celebrate the past even if there are now equally competent musicians.
That is a potpourri of thoughts before sensible ones appear.

arasi

Post by arasi »

All potpourri ingredients sound relevant to me!
Vazhi, most of all?

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

There are many who listen to only Balamurali,Unnikrishnan,MSS .It is how your ears are trained.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Ramnad Krishnan's music is scholarly, refined and devoid of noise. That's all.

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

TM Krishna speaks of the uniqueness of Ramnad Krishnan's music.
The link is given in the following page.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=626&start=125

The talk by Sri Spenser Venugopal, Vidhushi Ritha Rajan, TM Krishna and and a documentary on the life and contributions of Sri Ramnad Krishnan
in the function - commencement of the year long centenary celebration is at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boncCXKfPxY
and the speech by Sri Venugopal helps us know about the greatness of Sri Ramnad Krishnan.

yours_truly

Post by yours_truly »

Giving 2 examples from my experience that answered this question.
1. I thought Keeravaani was boring until I heard Ramnad Krishnan (a recording with T.Viswanathan on flute)
2. I thought I have heard everything in Begada until I came across a Ramnad Krishnan alapana (for Shankari Neeve).

Again, only my experience/ears!