Vidushi Neela Ramgopal

Carnatic Musicians
sappri

Post by sappri »

Strange to see Neela mami's(as she's fondly referred to) name not yet in here!

One of the seniormost musicians based out of Bangalore - only in age and experience- but extremely youthful in zest and energy particularly where her scholarly, energetic, complete and happy performances are heard....
Sangeetha Kalaratna Vid.Neela Ramgopal - is not just a performer beyond compare - but amongst Carnatic Music's greatest Gurus...
Her interview by G Ravikiran in Worldspace is indeed inspiring, particularly to "up & coming" artists and young students.
"Neela Ramgopal performs in a style admirable enough to claim attention from even usually unrelenting quarters. The competence she displayed was not confined to just efficient performance. It throve on really expressive qualities too. Neela ramgopal is not identified with any single label. She has chosen to be influenced by many styles. This involves extensive listening, selective assimilation and judicious mixing" (The Hindu)
Noteworthy to say - that there is a close organization called "Neelambari" - of students of Vid Neela Ramgopal - apart from organizing workshops, lec-dems, concerts etc - Neelambari has recorded the 72 Melakartha krithis of different krithis rendered by Neela Ramgopal for the benefit of the students of music.These Melakartha krithis have been rendered with the Ragaalapana and Swaraprastaram for their full understanding.

Of course, this site has seen superlative mention of the Vidushi's performances...

"Age cannot wither nor custom stale her infinite variety"!!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Born on 25’th May 1935 in a traditional south Indian family promoting culture as a requisite.Smt.Neela was initiated to learn carnatic music under the formal guidance of Sri.Sadagopalachari in Kumbakonam,south India.She engrossed herself more deeply in the field of carnatic music and she subsequently learnt from late Sri.N.M.Narayanan a family friend and music critic. She has been a student with illustrious voicalist sangitha bhushanam late Sri.T.K.Rangachary who was well known for the rich bhava and fidelity to the classical virtues,in his school of music.
Read more ... http://www.indianetzone.com/15/neela_ramgopal.htm

I do know that vallabham kalyanasundaram is sister of mayuram vishwanatha sastri . I also knew some time back that bangalore Shankar learnt from vallabham kalyanasundaram who is his mother's sister or something. Is neela ramagOpal also some what related to vallabham and bangalore shankar family.

BTW smt neela with her id gnaanam is going to complete notation of arasi's composition this year end .
She having got an award for best pallavi singing by academy as per the above url. It should be a treat to hear her pallavi in bangalore.Best wishes.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 28 Oct 2009, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

We appreciate her presence in our Forum community and are grateful for assisting to bring Arasi's compositions to the CM performers.

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

Smt Neela has also notated several tamil kritis in Kannada script - I think that is a huge service, to popularise so many of the exquisite Tamil kritis of various composers in Karnataka. I am not sure whether these are available in a book. I wish more eminent artists come forward to do this kind of service for music - for example, notating rare kannada devaranamas in- say - Malayalam.
Neela mami is a very kind person, and does not hesitate to share her knowledge of kritis with others who may not be her students.
I got the notation of Sri Jaalandhara (gambheeranaattai) from Mami. She was so kind and unhesitatingly told me the whole notation line by line.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Is there a book that gives the notations for Odeyar's kritis?

cienu

Post by cienu »

Lakshman wrote:Is there a book that gives the notations for Odeyar's kritis?
Not that I know of.

To the best of my knowledge, Vikram Sampath is trying his utmost to accomplish this project with the blessings of the current Maharaja.
Last edited by cienu on 02 Nov 2009, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Vidushi Neela Ramgopal

Post by rajeshnat »

Writeup of her recent concert in academy
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2011/01/14/stor ... 080200.htm

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

Sukhanya Ramgopal on the ghatam was a seasoned player and her violin responses throughout the concert were enjoyable.
Ooooops!! Even the mighty Hindu can slip sometimes! :)

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Sukhanya Ramgopal on the ghatam was a seasoned player and her violin responses throughout the concert were enjoyable.
Radhika-Rajnarayan wrote:Ooooops!! Even the mighty Hindu can slip sometimes! :)
Of course it can (and does, too). :D

I think the reviewer must have meant her accompaniment for the violin responses.

veeyens3

Post by veeyens3 »

If it is known that Smt. Neela is my niece, nobody will think my lifting my shirt's collar strange but justified May Sri Rama bless her

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Congratulations on her Sangita Kala Acharya award
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/article2677203.ece

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Congratulations to our fellow-member!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Congratulations and best wishes to Vidushi Neela Ramgopal.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Thanks for the item. Yes, she's all that and more.
Her vidvat and imagination are equally rich.
I am proud of her!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

veeyens3 wrote:If it is known that Smt. Neela is my niece...
It is nice to know that!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Veeyens is a dear. He's having some health problems at the moment. Our thoughts are very much with him...

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/64c691l ... shitar.mp3
Whenever my son regrets that he never attended MLVs concert , I reply
Well I have mine too . Never attended TKRs concert .
And we make sure that we attend the next Neela Mami recital

arasi

Post by arasi »

I came to know of the news only now. I was away in Chennai the last week of December and Sri, Ramgopal, our dear forumite vidushi Neela 's husband passed away on December the 27th in Bengaluru. He was 89. The past year, he wasn't feeling that well. The end was peaceful. An engineer, he worked for HAL. A sweet man and a gentleman, he stood by his wife and encouraged her to develop into the fine musician that she is. Until recently, he would attend concerts, especially those given by his wife. He took pride in the way Neela strove to become an ace artiste. His gentle smile stays with us, and also his gentle ways. Our thoughts are with Neela , her two children and grandchildren...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Very sad to hear of Neela-maami's loss. Deep sympathy and condolences.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Heartfelt and sincere condolences to the great vidushi and her family. May his AtmA attain SAnti, and may God give the family strength to bear their grief!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Condolences to the vidushi and her family.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Condolences to the vidushi and her family.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Few concerts for listening pleasure

Lovely kharaharapriya

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 2PyZ0fANRt

Tamil thematic concert

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ADMixDGsJZ

Dikshitar thematic concert
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... STBlpX3y-4

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

In a free wheeling conversation with Sri Bhai Baldeep Singh, Vidushi Neela Ramgopal talks about her musical journey interspersed with some great sangeetham

https://youtu.be/NrJ8oFA7u-c