Post by srkris »

With Mayavaram Govindaraja Pillai and Palghat Mani Iyer

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

With Lalgudi and Mani Iyer

kaapi

Post by kaapi »

In the ALB - MGP - PMI photograph Chingleput Ranganathan is seen with the tambura.

rajagopal

Post by rajagopal »

Is there a khanjira artiste sitting behind Mani Iyer in the first photo? Who is it?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I think the khanjira vidwan is D.Swaminatha Pillai, son of the venerable Dakshinamurthy Pillai.

hareesh_panicker

Post by hareesh_panicker »

It is a treat to watch the photo of the great duo with mayavaram and PMI
Thanx for the upload

arunk

Post by arunk »

found this classic on youtube. Alathur Srinivasa Iyer, LGJ and PMI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg2rCuObeYo

Arun

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Arun - great stuff. Notice the expression on Lalgudi's face when the Todi takes shape in the alapana...this happens at around 00:27 - priceless moment!
And who are the filler at the end??
Last edited by jayaram on 03 Mar 2007, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

jayaram - i dont know who the artists are in the filler.

i wish we had some video of Alathur Sivasubramania Iyer - what a fabulous voice!

Arun

sbala

Post by sbala »

I don't see a mic for the mridangam. Is it just my eyes or is it hiding somewhere?

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

most concerts back in the day did not use mikes for the mrudangam. It is amazing to consider how the vidwans back then, such as PMI or Pazhani would have had to play in order to be heard by everyone in the sabha, but at the same time not completely drown out the main artists.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

It looks like PMI finished the song in the mid point of the 2-kalai adi avarthanam, doesn't it? If so, is that normal to do that?

kaapi

Post by kaapi »

Is it Vairamangalam who is playing the tambura ??!!

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

At ~12:41 the camera shot shows that there was a mike for Palghat Mani Iyer...however, it is really really really really far away...

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Its coincidential that its exactly been a year since the last post came on this page as today I was looking for brothers on this forum. The more I listen to brothers the more I am drawn towards them. My dad once remarked that brothers is "Ambalai sangeetham"..So much energy and masculinity if I must say in their singing. Especially the have the rare capacity of getting so much applause from people by just rendering keerthanais. I think we must discuss more about brothers.

The video does show a mic but really far away and I am amazed by the clarity of PMI's playing with a MIC so far away. It was Tanjore Ramdas who is sitting behind PMI and Vairamangalam Lakshiminarayanan who is on tambura.

how many of you have heard the immortal rendition of Endundi Vedalithivo of brothers at music academy with LGJ PMI and DS Pillai as accompaniments for which PMI would have played at his best.?? Any thoughts????

sbala

Post by sbala »

AB_LGJ_PMI has to be one of the all time great combinations in CM. I recently heard their TODI (Dachukovelena) and it was just mindblowing. Their music is regal. PMI's accompaniment is stunning. His pauses and then the moments he chooses to join back is quite special.

cacm

Post by cacm »

AB_LGJ_PMI has to be one of the all time great combinations in CM. I recently heard their TODI (Dachukovelena) and it was just mindblowing. Their music is regal. PMI's accompaniment is stunning. His pauses and then the moments he chooses to join back is quite special.
I agree with you but want to put in my two cents worth: I feel PALANI in place of PMI was THE ABSOLUTE BEST. Maybe its because Palani played a crucial role in the Pallavis the brothers sang which brought them to the forefront. vkv

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Alathur - Lalgudi - Mani Iyer - Swaminatha Pillai (Kanjira) is a great combination. I have heard that Palani Subramania Pillai was playing mridangam for the brothers till 1950s. Some disagreement ...

Trichy Sankaran has mentioned in his lecdem about the Thani - Palani performed Thani avarthanam for Alathur Brothers singing the Thirupugaz - "Paniyin Thuliragave " - a classic

Lalgudi Jayaraman has mentioned in his acceptance speech for the recent Music Academy Award about accompanying Brothers for the Sankeerna Nadai Pallavi in the 1964 Music Academy concert.

Alathurs are great for sangathi rich krithis - Dachukovalena (thodi), Munnu Ravana (thodi), Endhuku Dayaradhura (thodi), Karuvelpulu (Kalyani), Mari Mari Ninne (Kamboji).

Rudrapatnam Brothers mentioned that they learnt the rare Thyagaraja Krithi - Sarijesi - Theevravahini - from Alathur Brothers when they were visiting Mysore in the 1960s.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Thanks VKV sir. I have also read about Palani's accompaniment to the Alathur brothers. But, I had not heard of his specific role in pallavi accompaniment. LGJ seems to be synonymous with ALB. Who were the other violinists who accompanied them in their prime? Are their recordings of MSG accompanying them?

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Many violnists have performed with Alathur Brothers - Rajamanickam Pillai, T. Chowdiah, Papa Venkataramiah, Sundaresa Iyer, ....

I read somewhere for their concert Thiruvaiyaru - the Brothers were accompanied by stalwarts - Malaikottai Govindaswamy Pillai (Violin) and Pudukottai Dashinamurthy Pillai (Mridangam).

Dakshinamurthy Pillai taught them Thirupugaz which they sang in every concert ; Some of them are sung by Sanjay in concerts.

Malasi Kopam - Jonpuri
Theruvinil - Surati
Marukulaviya - Poorvikalyani

Karnaticfan

Post by Karnaticfan »

MarukulAviya - Thirupugazh has been sung DKJ too, may be in different tAlam.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

More on Alathur
Date:19/09/2008 URL: http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/fr/200 ... 480300.htm

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi Punarvasu - it's not on Alathur Brothers, is it?

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

It is on their fatherAlathur Venkates Iyer-thats why I just wrote 'more on Alathur'.
Ofcourse some info on their earlier training etc. is also there.
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 19 Sep 2008, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

"Their" father? The Alathur Brothers were not biological brothers.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

It was a typo;father of one of them; the article mentions how he brought up Srinivasa Iyer and paired him with his own son,Sivasubramanyam.
You may kindly remove my earlier post to an appropriiate thread if it does not belong here.
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 19 Sep 2008, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

jayanthisundar2k

Post by jayanthisundar2k »

Hi,
One of the grandsons of Alathur brothers is taking classes. Wonderful teacher, by name Neyveli Ganesh.
He comes home and takes classes. Interested..call him in 24404150.
Thanks,
Jayanthi

kam

Post by kam »

Dear Rasikas,Does anybody have the concert of Allathur Brothers accompanied by Lalgudi Jayaraman(?) and Palghat Mani Iyer with following kritis contained in it.

01-Jagadhanandakara ka-nattai
02-Sugunamulae chepukunti
03 - Cheraravademiri- reetigowla
04 - Shankari sankuru-saveri
05 - Koniyadina napai-kamboji
06- Evarichirira- Madyamavathi
If yes,Please try to upload the concert if it is not a commercial one.It is a wonderful concert.I too posseses it but the tape was totally damaged.Every artist in this concert are at their best in particular Mani Iyer sir.Thanks in advance.Namasthe.
Last edited by kam on 17 Dec 2009, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

vmr

Post by vmr »

Hi Kam,

If the tape available with you is in playing condition...request you to kindly share the same with me. Eventhough the tape is damaged.....the music should be heavenly, beyond doubt. The alathurs are my particular favourites and I am eager to listen to this recording. I can share my mobile No ...... if you can help me.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Hai Kam, Evarichrira is in Madhyamavathi. I have got many concerts but not this particular one. I will hunt for the same.

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Some salvaged pieces of an early 1960s concert in "Parvathi" Mysore by Alathur Brothers-Chowdiah-Mani at http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/.... requesting Rasikas to have a little patience as the sound dips in places and music is also truncated.

P.S. The blog posting and music has been removed due to incorrectness with the same.
Last edited by cpblog on 29 Dec 2009, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Alathur Brothers

Post by rajeshnat »

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

As forumites may have noted from my various postings both the Brothers were very close to our family(See references to my father's book in Sriram's article).PMI used to be extra cautious when accompanying Srinivasa Iyer because he was capable of subtle laya intricacies that would trip accompanists if they are not watchful!! Although he was the silent one between the two he was capable of exhibiting his parsimony much to the embarrassment of people around him. An anecdote--this is firmly etched in my mind, although it happened almost 60 years ago.

The Bros had come for a concert in Bombay. Usually artistes after finishing the concert will leave for Chennai by the Chennai Express the next day--i.e Monday around 2 P.M. Since there would be plenty of time to kill in Matunga in the morning before leaving for V.T(Victoria Terminus present day.Chatrapathi Shivaji Terminal_) the musicians like AB,ARI will do some shopping in Matunga--if it is some Ladies item my mother would take them to Gandhi Market(like a flea Market with low prices for all kinds of clothing)--if it is something the artiste wants to buy(presumably under strict instructions ) I would be deputed(school be damned!!) to accompany the artiste to a store in Matunga(Venkateswara Iyer store--a small Mom and Pop operation which carried very much everything from "soups to nuts." Srinivasa Iyer wanted to buy some stainless steel utensils(I remember the Brand DEVIDAYAL-- which was very popular in Chennai because of the thick gauge of steel and either was difficult to get or more expensive in Chennai.

Srinivasa Iyer bought 2/3 pairs of Tumblers and Dabaras(I do not know what is the correct English word for it!)--used in South Indian homes for Freshly-brewed Coffee. Srinivasa Iyer haggled and haggled and finally the store owner agreed to a price probably at cost. Srinivasa Iyer has a change of heart about the price and instead of re negotiating with the owner puts down a couple of rupees less than the negotiated price on the cash counter and while the store owner was busy with another customer nicely bolts away dragging me with him and to the owners' wailing that he is losing money on the deal,tells him to "bill" the Sabha(Shanmukhananda sabha!!) instead for the difference--I protest because that was not in the mandate that I got from my father to no avail. I was so embarrassed that I used to "cringe" whenever I accompanied my mother to the same shop and from then on refused to take any artistes to any shop whatsoever!! Looking back on the incident now I am more saddened than amused that the artistes of that era happened to in the twilight zone of patronage(the Rajas and the Zamindars noted for their generosity had become extinct species and the fledgeling institutions in far away places like Bombay Calcutta did not have a broad listener base to afford higher remunerations to the artistes!!!

lastly a funny-but-not-so-funny incident(Source: LGJ)

After Subbier's untimely death in 1965,one of the Tamil Newspapers announced the next day erroneously the death of Srinivasa Iyer instead==the next day they followed it up with this correction in Tamil ' netru irandhu ponadu Alathur Srinivasa Iyer illai enbadai varutthathudan terivithu kolgirom!!(Crudely translated in English--we regret to announce that the person who died yesterday was not Srinivasa Iyer but Subbier!!!).

So many anecdotes that LGJ used to gather during their long train trips to bombay,Calcutta.Delhi etc were narrated to me--I wish I had the acuity now to be able to reproduce them now--but the old ones I am able to recall--before dementia sets in I better brush them up!!!

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:' netru irandhu ponadu Alathur Srinivasa Iyer illai enbadai varutthathudan terivithu kolgirom!!(Crudely translated in English--we regret to announce that the person who died yesterday was not Srinivasa Iyer but Subbier!!!).
:lol: :lol: That was brilliant

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

I am an unabashed admirer of Alathur Brothers, and the impact on music (duo singing) is evident on musicians of today trying to recreate that magic.
On the Centennial of Srinivasa Iyer; what a great thodi alapana and neraval http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg2rCuObeYo

The sort of discipline, the vigor and punch with which they render krithis; leaves an indelible mark - What a repertoire of many rare Thyagaraja krithis (many of which are out of concert circulation today), Tiruppughaz, Swathi Thirunal krithis, ... Alathur Venkatesa Iyer (father of Subbier) should have been great teacher. Venkatesa Iyer an author of a book on Thyagaraja krithis.

I am not able to understand how the Brothers are able to attain that sort of perfection in rendition; almost the Midas touch - One specific example, generally, Brothers used to render Durbar raga very well; Ramabhirama (Durbar) and Endundi have their trademark stamp. The highlight is of course Srinivasa Iyer's Durbar alapana. In one of the rare AIR concerts, I heard their rendition of -Munduvenuka (Durbar); what a rendition and I felt this was one step better the other renditions of other artists I have heard.

Reetigowla raga as such many masterly renditions by many great musicians. Brothers chose to embellish one of the not so often rendered Thyagaraja krithi - Cheraravadhe (Reetigowla) - What a rendition, the moment I cherish is when when Subbier sings - dalachikarakaga ... the effect is superb.

BTW, Srinivasa Iyer's family was reasonably well to do by Trichy standards, I think - had lands near Valadi (village near Trichy) and had a business establishment in Trichy.

There was a special radio RTP concert arranged by AIR Trichy - Srinivasa Iyer, Lalgudi Jayaraman and Palghat Mani Iyer. Mani Iyer came from Chennai and had stayed at Mayavaram Lodge. Lalgudi Jayaraman was staying with Puducottai Mahadevan (Morsing); who was the owner of Hotel Jayanthi in Trichy. Early in the morning, Srinivasa Iyer and Palghat Mani Iyer came to AIR studio and started practicing the Vachaspathi pallavi. When someone from AIR asked, Jayaraman is not here for the practice ? - ASI was self effusive; " for Jayaraman pallavis are so easy; only we need to practice a bit".

This year, I was @ Malladi Brothers concert @ Music Academy and they concluded the concert with Chandrasekara Esa (Sindhubhairavi). Upon conclusion of the concert, the gentleman next to me mentioned to me in a gushing tone "sir, you should have listened to Alathur Brothers singing this krithi" ! Atleast for some their music still lives, not forgotten.

doyoucare

Post by doyoucare »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:So many anecdotes that LGJ used to gather during their long train trips to bombay,Calcutta.Delhi etc were narrated to me--I wish I had the acuity now to be able to reproduce them now--but the old ones I am able to recall--before dementia sets in I better brush them up!!!
If they are similar to the one that you narrated above (utensils episode), maybe you should not brush them up ;)

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Thanks for an honest feedback!!Aruvai jokes do evoke guffaws amongst some!! Noted that you are not one among them!!!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote: After Subbier's untimely death in 1965,one of the Tamil Newspapers announced the next day erroneously the death of Srinivasa Iyer instead==the next day they followed it up with this correction in Tamil ' netru irandhu ponadu Alathur Srinivasa Iyer illai enbadai varutthathudan terivithu kolgirom!!(Crudely translated in English--we regret to announce that the person who died yesterday was not Srinivasa Iyer but Subbier!!!).
LOL.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

A share from my friend
ALATHOOR BROTHERS

Inline image 1

The Alathoor Brothers were not brothers. One was a Telugu Brahmin and the other a Tamil Brahmin. The younger Sivasubramania Iyer ( known as Subbier) was dominant while the elder Srinivasa Iyer was reticent and shy. The father of Subbier, Venkatesa Iyer hailed from Tiruvayyaru. Venkatesa Iyer’s father Venkatarama Jata Vallabhar was an expert in reciting Jata, a complicated method of intoning Vedas. Venkatesa Iyer was a student of Krishna Iyer, an expert violinist and harmonist.

The family moved to Alathoor as some one was needed to recite the Jata at the temple in Rock Fort, Trichy, However the family had to shift to Tiruvayyaru. Venkatesa Iyer married Lakshmi daughter of Subbarama Iyer, a landowner of Alathoor and here they settled down. Sivasubramaniam was his parent’s second son. Classes for young Subbu began from his fifth year, his first guru being his father.

Srinivasa Iyer was born in Ariyalur to Sankara Sroudigal, a priest with 12 children. The eldest son Viswanathan was singing in Harikatha troups and the younger brother followed suit. The boy was taken to Venkatesa Iyer who accepted him as his student. The two boys--Subbier and Srinivasa Iyer were brought up together and trained to perform as Alathoor Brothers. Within years they had been trained to sing in perfect unison. The duo had acquired expertise in pallavi renditions and in Tiruppugazh.

Palani Subramania Pillai soon became their mridangist and a close friendship developed between them. Subbier handled the raga delineation while neraval and svaras were handled by both by taking turns. It was difficult for them to establish a wide following as there were giants in the field.

By 1930 Subbier was married to Mahalakshmi, in a match that was finalized by Venkatesa Iyer without even consulting his son. He is said to have casually mentioned to the boy one evening that he would be getting married next week and that was that. Srinivasa Iyer too got married to the daughter of violinist Krishna Iyer.

Palani Subramania Pillai used his good offices by obtaining an opportunity for the two singers at the Music Academy. The brothers had a highly successful trip to Rangoon in Burma and the Chettiar there community heaped them with money.

M.K.Tyagaraja Bhagavathar became the disciple of Venkatesa Iyer. Being strict he would even slap M K T. Subbier helped M K T and eventually gave the small lilts to the hit song of Haridas—Krishna MukundaMurare. Subbier set the music for Ashok Kumar and composed several immortal melodies for the film. Subbier suggested the name of M.L.Vasanthakumari for singing in films and she became a successful singer.

Palani Subramania Pillai introduced Lalgudi Jayaraman as a violinist. For some time Papa K.S.Venkataramiah played for the brothers. They were close to GNB and Chowdiah. Popularity came to the brothers in late 1940s. In 1944 the Travancore Court made them Asthana Vidwans, They participated in Tyagaraja Aradhanas and collected funds.

In 1964 the Music Academy decided to honour Subbier with the Sangita Kalanidhi. He was adamant that it ought to be given to both of them together. In the event that was not possible, he insisted that they ought to be awarded the honour in successive years, with the elder Srinivasa Iyer getting it first. The Academy agreed to the latter proposal, but Srinivasa Iyer was equally firm that Subbier should get it first. Finally the two of them decided to draw lots in front of Venkatesa Iyer’s portrait. Subbier’s name emerged first. Subbier cleverly took in writing the decision to honour Srinivasa Iyer the next year.

bombal

Post by bombal »

interesting thoughts...thanks for sharing thanjavooran...

we all vividly remember the sankeerna nadai pallavi rendered by the brothers at the Academy concert with Lalgudi sir, PMI and Swaminatha Pillai...what an engrossing rendition and it has so many facets, which were thought provoking..PMI's thani in shantamulekha...sowkyam to the core..the presence of mind of PMI in the pallavi thani is yet another aspect...the brothers rendition of nattaikurunji varnam, ramaneepai etc etc etc...chandrasekara, panivin....it was indeed a model concert...

finally, it would only be fair to say that, the Alathur Brothers were the musician, who brought joy and happiness to millions of rasikas.

namaste

CRama

Post by CRama »

They proved that Vyavaharam can go well along with janaranjakatvam

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

Kamakshi,

In reply to your posted message, I do have your requested concert of Alathur brothers with me. There is also a last song Emi dova balkuma in the list as the final song. The whole concert is about 110 MB. I am very happily willing to share the concert with you and others members. Could you please suggest how to make it available here? It is too big to be e-mailed.

Thanks,
Meenalochani

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Meenalochani: I would suggest uploading to archive.org. They have the most permanent free service that I know of.
Others such as sendspace, mediafire etc can do the trick, but they delete files that are more than 3 months old, unless you have premium filesharing service. If you have a dropbox account, that works fine as well.

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

I am placing below the link to the Alathur concert created from my dropbox account. I do not if it is working. It worked when I tested sending it to my e-mail account. If it is not opening, I can e-mail the link to one of you. The concert is very old and can be improved digitally if someone can do it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v6xwn3f4lbb7 ... RFKFa?dl=0

Meenalochani

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Brothers' RTP in Naattai kurinji with Pallavi as ' Sirantha engaladhu Nattai Kurinji Enbaar ' used to be wonderful. By any chance can we have the pleasure of listening to this again ?
Thanx in advance
Thanjavooran
19 01 2015

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanjavooran- Alathur Brothers- RTP- Natakurinji.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/9rqr2v
Enjoy

CRama

Post by CRama »

I had one recording of Alathur Sreenivasa Iyer with Lalgudi and PMI in Navarathri mandapam. singing Pahi jagajanani and Janani Mamava. I lost it. By chance, any body has got that recording.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Many thanx for the link Shri CRama
Thanjavooran
21 01 2015