Hyderabad Brothers

Carnatic Musicians
ganamurthi

Post by ganamurthi »

I feel that they started out with much promise but of late, one finds their output less than satisfying. What is it with siblings? Somehow, one of them tends to shoulder (read as snatch) the burden. Is it to do with practising together all the time which can get one of them to take it easy? Or does the voice get more worn out when trying to sing loudly all the time so that each feels he or she is heard?

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

I think that their singing too much has taken its toll. Their over indulgence in kannaku does not make their music any better. These days the fare dished out by them is very very ordinary to say the least. it is evident that they have peaked and are on the decline.... BFN Ragjay

108talas

Post by 108talas »

With Malladi brothers plunging into arena, the HYD brothers lost their popularity. Along side Rudrapatnam Brothers also got some share.

Even during Alathur Brothers time, one voice used to be not very good (compared to Siva Subbaiyer, Srinivasa Iyer voice was very rough and not so good). Hyd brothers case too, one of the two voice is not very good. Even in the case of Radha Jayalaxmi, it had the same fate.

vvmri

Post by vvmri »

I do not want to be harsh to anyone who reads this.I have been a fan of the hyderabad brothers practically all of my life.I like their singing personally. They know me very well from the time I was only 7 years old.Whether it is in india or where I live,if i saw there names at venues,i would go to their concerts.

sangitaRasika

Post by sangitaRasika »

They have a solid training and are good, no doubt, but the well is certainly drying out. I hear that the younger of the two, is an A grade AIR mridangam artist also. But, their stage dynamics is REALLY bad and that puts a bad taste in the rasikas' minds after the concert. The younger of the two, is clearly extremely dominanting exhibiting a ton of superiority complex and literally cuts off the other singer mid sangati..., keeps his own mike much louder... so on. This can deter their career.

Svaapana

Post by Svaapana »

I heard a concert during their current tour of north america. It was unbecoming of the two that they have to hold the paper containing even well known krithis right in front of them with one hand while rendition. It takes away the flow and spontaneity. Normally I don't like vocalists seeing notes and singing but this was certainly an ugly sight!
I agree fully with sangitaRasika on the overbearing attitude of one of them.

endaroo

Post by endaroo »

Recently I have attended some concerts recently, both are enjoying while singing. It seems they are slowly changing and we should happy.
I agree with all members opinion.

mvnprasad

Post by mvnprasad »

In my opinion, not to hurt anyone above, without a doubt, they are one of the best renderers of thyagaraja krithis, so much bhava filled and meaningful renditions. Every duo has some qualities and we must admit that. Both of them are so knowledged and spontaneous in their music it makes it so good. I have heard countless concerts of them, being from hyderabad myself. (I also accompanied a few for them too on violin, not too many). I had a good opportunity to learn a couple of krithis from Sri Raghavachaary (the elder) and he is a gem. I still remember two concerts from so many I heard - one was about 20 years back in KMC warangal, where due to some heavy rain and thundertorms there was loss of electricity and the audience (~30 people) sat on the stage and they sang without any mic. It was marvellous. Another one was at ahobila mutt in Hyderabad, about 7-8 years back, great concert and the "yevvare nee sari" still rings in my ears. Authentic notation, perfect gamakas and sampradayam and great modulation of voice are some qualities I like. at times, I agree the 'kanakku' becomes a little overboard, but thats one more aspect which some like and some dont. They are credited with bringing out some very very rarely sung thyagaraja krithis.

Hoping to see and hear them in the USA sometime... I recently missed their concert at ATL, GA (OCT 10th 2009). I was just a 200miles away. came to know late.

venkatakailasam

Re: Hyderabad Brothers

Post by venkatakailasam »

Here is their rendering of Arunachalanadham composed by Dikshadar.( AIR recording)
To day is Karthigai Deepam and the Jyothi at Thiruvannamalai was telecast by Padhigai TVLive.

Please listen to the song and have dharshan of Jyothi at this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpwA5BZWCoc

E'-SWARA-003-Hyderabad Brothers-Arunachala nadham-sarangi-Dikshadar

venkatakailasam

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://archive.org/details/HydBros
teliya lEru rAma bhakti mArgamu - dhEnuka - tyAgarAja

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Fantastic half hour dhenuka.. Thank you!

varsha

Post by varsha »

Purist

Post by Purist »

Very rare to hear Dhenuka being dealt so elaborately. High quality recording. Thanks Varsha.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

varsha wrote: teliya lEru rAma bhakti mArgamu - dhEnuka - tyAgarAja
Varsha
This recording must be early days of the hyderabad brothers .The gap between the brothers is really not that wide as what we hear today. Lovely dhenuka. prof TRS recommended hyderabad brothers in their early career , this is from that age.Thank you varsha . I have personally heard a longish dhenuka from TRS mama and also from trichur brothers . This is also as great as other two- hyderabad brothers especially seshachary is a great musician.
May i know the year of this concert and also if possible the accompanists?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you, Varsha.
The gap between the brothers is really not that wide as what we hear today.
Rajesh, I am intrigued by what you say. Could you please elaborate?
Recently I heard Seshachari sing by himself. While it was good, I did not feel the juice that was part of their music from about 15 years ago (and earlier).

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The gap between the brothers is really not that wide as what we hear today.
mahavishnu wrote:Thank you, Varsha.
Rajesh, I am intrigued by what you say. Could you please elaborate?
Recently I heard Seshachari sing by himself. While it was good, I did not feel the juice that was part of their music from about 15 years ago (and earlier).
Mahavishnu,
I thought I was clear.The musical skill gap between the brothers is quite high. In the last decade in whatever concert that I heard I was feeling that in general shri seshachari appeared more in charge.

In varsha's recording at least in dhenuka that I heard , I could see even raghavachari singing very well- the skill gap is not that evident between the two brothers.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

I haven't seen a live performance of the duo in a few years, so I haven't noticed this personally. However, I have seen several reviews referencing this, including yours(?). Just curious about how the musical gap is manifested. Does R just sing less than S? fewer rounds of swarams for e.g?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mahavishnu,
Apart from whatever you mentioned - there is more shruthi adherance and definitely a more stronger voice with seshachary.

adityak

Post by adityak »

Namaskaram, not here to intrude on opinions of others just wanted to make my opinion heard. Although one brother's voice is often dominating (I believe it is Seshachari?) in most krithis sung I often hear the combination of voices. I would direct you to a concer they had sung at Boston College in Massachusetts, USA, in 1993 (available on sangeethapriya). The combination of their voices was simply outstanding at the concert, with both brothers singing fully and aptly. Furthermore, despite the fact they may look at notations when singing, I feel that it is not a matter of whether or not they have the songs memorized, but rather the way in which they sing it. If you close eyes and listen, for me at least I cannot tell whether or not they are using notations. Overall, I feel that though their peak may be behind them they are still formidable musicians and amazing artists.