Friendly Dialog

Carnatic Musicians
Kastoori

Friendly Dialog

Post by Kastoori »

Friendly Dialog
(All names are fictitious. Any coincidences are fortuituous)

“I am giving a concert in Jyoti Hall, next month,” the professional vocal singer announced to the family at the dinner table, when they had just sat down. In a minute, a phone call came for this singer, Veḷḷattūr Venkatrāman.

Venkat picked it up.

“I heard you are singing in Jyoti hall,” his friend beamed.

“Yes, August 12th, in a month,” replied Venkat.

“Have you lined up your accompanists?” queried his confidante, Gōpālayyar.

“Not yet. I wanted to tell you something. Gōpi, all these years I have wrongfully thought of what a concert meant. Now I realize that they are not my accompanists just to boost my singing. They are part of the whole presentation. Our style of music is largely communal, devotional and spiritual. I don’t have to tell you that. From now on, I want to make all my concerts wholesome. What do you think?”

Gōpālayyar replied, “All these years I have been waiting for you to reach this point. Consider this next concert as your true Arangētram.”

They both laughed heartily.

“By the way, can you also start cutting down your Gōshṭis a little bit? Have mercy on the audience.” Gōpālayyar did not miss the chance or mince the words.

“Am I that bad?” Venkat asked.

Gōpālayyar let the dam break, “You don’t get it, do you? Read the reviews on your concerts. Also, cut down on talking so much on the stage. If you want to bring spirituality and grandeur, bring them with vibrance, brilliance and Manōdharmam in your presentations. Also, ask the announcer early on to not make such a long introduction with all the titles, awards and foreign travel. Let the audience decide whether you are worthy of all the awards they have already read about or that you deserve something more.”

“Gōpi, what will I do without you?” Venkat responded.

Having started on unloading un-minced critical feedback, Gōpālayyar dug deeper and let out more blows, “By the way, I have a recommendation for a mrudangam player. You have depended on this Bālayyar for too long. Don’t mistake me, although he is reasonably proficient, he is a bit timid, hesitant and unprepared ahead of the concert with the major uruppaḍis you had planned. His playing does not blend with your singing, nor he tries to understand your style of improvising or your dynamics. Also, you have not made any required efforts to connect with him and your regular violin support, Patthu, either. Go through with your supports the items you are planning. Develop understanding, friendship and intimacy with them. Spend sufficient time sharing your plan and format for upcoming concert so that together you will glow. You may be way up there with that fancy title of yours, but do not forget that you are always a humble student of Nāda Brahmam. You must take every concert with utmost seriousness. Even if you sing two hours, let that be full of reverberations long after the concert is done. That is Nāda Yōgam!”

“Agreed wholeheartedly, Gōpi. Who is this mrudangam player you were going to recommend?” Venkat inquired somberly.

Gōpālayyar answered enthusiastically, “Vechūr Vēlumani.”

“Yes, I know him. He has played for me.” Venkat responded.

Gōpālayyar’s voice quivered a little bit for the heaviness of what he had to say, but he continued, “This is difficult for me to tell you. Yes, he has played for you. I remember that concert. He saved you from the mistakes you committed in RTP. He was graceful, humble and brilliant in the way he fittingly complimented whatever you sang. I know you felt a bit of discomfort with his excellence. Later, you started avoiding him. Venkat, you will reach nowhere with those kinds of emotions. Call him back.”

Venkat responded, “Gōpi, I count my blessings for having you as my friend with your honesty and sincere interests. I will call Vēlumani and also Patthu. Do you have anything I need to know about Patthu?”

Gōpālayyar gave a few more swings, “Patthu is a gem. You just have to let him take as much time especially when he is into something which is developing to a captivating progression. Let me tell you one last thing. Do not cut anybody off when they are doing something brilliant. Let their Sanjāram blossom. Let them shine too. You better start learning to clap your hands for your supports, when audience claps for them.”

Venkat replied, “Gōpi, yes, śeri, okay to all. When your phone came, I had just started eating. I now feel that I am full, eating all the blows you gave me.”

“I have some more in my bag. I will swing by next week. See you then,” Gōpālayyar closed the call.

Ranganayaki

Re: Friendly Dialog

Post by Ranganayaki »

This reads like something from the ‘60s or the ‘70s, in both style and content.

sureshvv

Re: Friendly Dialog

Post by sureshvv »

More in style than content. The content is actually quite timeless - even if not in fashion. May never have been.