Dr. Prema Rangarajan

Carnatic Musicians
Rengarajan

Dr. Prema Rangarajan

Post by Rengarajan »

Dr.PREMA RANGARAJAN
Karnatic Vocalist – Profile
Dr Prema Rangarajan, a renowned karnatic vocalist and a teacher , is a treasure house of innumerable gems / repertoire of different composers. She was awarded Ph.D for her thesis 'Sanskrit compositions in karnatic music - A study' by Madras university. She has been accredited to “A” Grade by AIR and Doordarshan
Training in music -
She had early training with Kadayam Krishnamurthy and later with T S Raghavan of Delhi University before moving to Chennai for further training
Advanced training
Sulochana Pattabhiraman (on the finer aesthetic aspects)
S Rajam (on rare ragas and compositions)
Dr V V Srivatsa (on rare kritis of Trinity and other Vaggeyakaras)
Chingleput Ranganathan (on Ragam, Tanam, Pallavi)
Lakshmi Natarajan- Kritis in traditional Patanthara
Dr B.Krishnamurty - Ragam Tanam Pallavi and rare krtis.
Contribution to the field of Music
She is credited with conceptualisation, participation and assistance to her Guru Mrs. Sulochana Pattabhiraman in conducting various formats of Karnatic Classical music comprising Varnam, Tillana, Javalis, Paripadal (ragas used in ancient Tamil compositions) rare krtis of different composers etc for archival by AIR under their programme “Dakshina Gana Surabhi’
Recorded Utsava Sampradaya Kritis of Saint Thyagaraja for All India Radio archives under the guidance and supervision of Dr. M. Balamuralikrishna and Shri. T.S. Parthasarathi, Musicologist.Has also recorded Neelotpalamba krtis of Muttuswamy Dikshitar.
Lecture Demonstrations -
On the aspect of Manodarma in raga, niraval,swara singing, and Pallavi Rendering,
On Dikshitar's Abhayamba Kritis
On gruhabheda ,anuswara and other theoretical aspects to the students of Pondicherry University, and Annamalai University on different occasions under UGC Programme
Thematic concerts -
Presented Group krtis of Abhayamba, Madhuramba and Guruguha vibhakti krtis and Krtis on temples of Thanjavur.
Exclusive concerts of Compositions of Tyagaraja, Walajapet Venkataramana Bhagavatar, Syama Sastri, Margadarsi Seshayyangar, Mayuram Viswanatha sastri, Muthu Tandavar, Gopalakrishna Bharati and Mysore Vasudevachar.
Presentation of papers on various musical topics :
i) “Sirkazhi Moovar” at the International Tamil Music Conference, Tamil University University, Thanjavur - 2006
ii) “ Creativity in Tanam and Pallavi in Karnatic music” conducted at the seminar by ITC Sangeet Research Academy and C V Raman Centre for Physics and Music, Kolkata - 2008
iii) “Navarathnamalika of Maharaja Swathi Thirunal” at International Music Conference and festival 'Africa meets Asia', Bangalore - 2009
iv) ''Tillanas at International Music Conference and Festival-“Africa meets Asia” at Bangalore - 2011
v ) Successfully completed a Project on Tillanas for a fellowship granted by Dept. of culture, Govt. of India in 2015 with live demonstration, titled 'Tillanas in Music and Dance'
Performance
Performing vocal concerts in senior category in all major sabhas viz., Music Academy, Narada Gana Sabha, Brahma Gana Sabha, Mylapore Fine Arts Club,Nadopasana, Saraswati vaggeyakara Trust etc in Chennai. NCPA , Shanmukhananda Sabha in Mumbai and Sabhas in Kerala ,Tirupati and Bangalore. .
Documented 14 CDs on a variety of devotional themes and 4 live concerts
Teaching
Trained several students who are now performing artists
Conducted workshops at Annamalai University, Marabu Foundation, Tillaisthanam
As a visiting professor taken classes to under-graduate and post graduate students at Government Music College, Tiruvaiyaru.
Awards and Recognitions -
Winner of several Prizes in competitions and concerts conducted by prestigious institutions-
Sangeet Nataka Academy, AIR, Music Academy, to mention a few
Vocational Excellence Award from Rotary International in December,2008
Sangeetha Sevamani title By HH Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam - 2010
Vocational Excellene Award from Inner wheel Club -2011
Kala Vipanchee from “VIPANCHEE” a reputed cultural organization- 2015
Sri Syama Sastry Sangeetha Rathna from Sanatana Sampradaya sangeetha
and Nadha Bharathi, Hyderabad - 2015
Gana Kala omSirani from Mannargudi Sabasiva Bhagavathar Trust - 2016
Life time Achievement Award from Kalpashree, Bangalore -2017
Ganakala Jyoti from Suswaraa Trust - 2018
Artist's Statement-
Having been trained in firm discipline of great eminent teachers, which I value and cherish, I have been serving the cause of karnatic music through my performance and teaching in the last four decades. Regarded for my adherence to sampradaya shuddham and excellence in rendition, I wish to dedicate all my efforts in this noble field of performing Arts while at the same time, I wish to enrich my knowledge constantly with learned inputs . One of my main goals is to train aspiring young students whom I wish to shape in the best way of Gurukula Training.
Contact details
Phone: 91 44 24997028. Mobile: 9444668498, 9884037038
Email: prema.rangarajan@gmail.com
Address:2C, Ramalakshmi Apartments, 26,4th street, Abhiramapuram, Chennai-600 018

HarishankarK

Re: Dr. Prema Rangarajan

Post by HarishankarK »

Like her music
Pure classical
No gimmicka

Lakshman

Re: Dr. Prema Rangarajan

Post by Lakshman »

Dr.Prema Rangarajan sings an elaborate but rarely heard krti of Tyagaraja rAma nI vAdukonduvO here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFGMfLr718M
Very pleasant listening.