M. K. Thyagaraja Bhagavathar

Carnatic Musicians
srutibedam

M. K. Thyagaraja Bhagavathar

Post by srutibedam »

Watch veteran mridangist Shri Guruvayur Durai and Ghatam Maestro Shri Vinayakaram share their memories of M. K. Thyagaraja Bhagavathar as a carnatic musician, and carnatic vocalist Shri P. Unnikrishnan making a fine speech on M.K.T. in a recent book release function in Chennai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5fX0J12LsM&t=2260s

The unavailability of even one concert recording of this legend, a fully trained carnatic musician and disciple of Alathur Venkatesa Iyer, has made him one of the least remembered concert vocalists. Another sad dimension to his story.

arasi

Re: M. K. Thyagaraja Bhagavathar

Post by arasi »

Srutibedam,
Thank you for sharing this with us. MKT's sublime singing was matched only by his kind and generous heart. What a good man he was! You could hear this sentiment as a refrain in the author's speech and it resonated in the smiles and nods of Vikku and Guru . I was only a child when I met him a few times, and his kind face and words make me remember him to this day. Would like to read the book, of course.

CRama

Re: M. K. Thyagaraja Bhagavathar

Post by CRama »

Parivadini, That post on MKT was enriching. Like any carnatic music buff, I also have listened to his film songs and seen some of his films. But it is news to me that the films contained much more than the songs that came in the casettes. Have to hunt for his films when I get time.