Anahita and Apoorva Ravindran

Carnatic Musicians
SrinathK

Anahita and Apoorva Ravindran

Post by SrinathK »

It's time these two need a thread. I first heard a recording of them singing the Oothukadu Venkata Kavi navAvarnams and saptaratnams on the Tube and realized I was listening to a pair of rare talents. Their concert at the Academy last year (best prize in that slot) was the first time I heard them live and IIRC, I really felt that day that we've found the next RaGa. They have a complete package - excellent voices, rich creativity, virtuosity without loss of aesthetics, a vast repertoire, concert planning, laya skill and bhava and sing with a maturity beyond their years.

Anahita and Apoorva are currently disciples of Chitraveena Ravikiran and have been learning from him for well over a decade now. Sruthi magazine had an article of them from long back : https://sruti.com/index.php?route=archi ... s&artId=21

I'm just coming back from this concert today : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmHxvvC1Zo -- the webcast audio quality captured by the camera is crap in comparison to the true sound of the live mikeless concert at Arkay's Hall (where for once I heard what voices and instruments actually sound like with my own ears when no one is fighting for more and more volume), so it might not get the appreciation it warrants. But the OVK saparatnam and the navAvarnam, the swarakalpana for birAna brOva, the suruTTi main number and especially parama purusham of Narayana Theertha are special highlights - some concerts are very good, but this one was genius level for me.

rajeshnat

Re: Anahita and Apoorva Ravindran

Post by rajeshnat »

Srinathk,
Great of you to open a seperate thread to these two sisters.

All,
IF my memory is right , my first concert of theirs in SKGS mini they sang a rare bhairavi OVK krithi but I remember very distinctly the alapana of sparkling chandrajyothi . Also on a very rare occasion these sisters along with JB keerthana (Mahavishnu some time back in the forum said that srutisagar / keerthana and these sisters are cousins). They participated in a lecdem with Jayalakshmi sekhar (vainika). THat day these two with keerthana sang the 9 abhayambA krithis of mayuram by muttuswami dikshitar. I am told by some acquaintance, the younger apoorva has also caught up well with anahita , though many years back at that time apoorva was considerably younger to anahita. I am yet to hear the already caught up apoorva . Looking forward to hear them soon.

Best wishes to these sisters Anahita and Apoorva. They are indeed a talent to watch .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Lovely interview from this brilliant sisters. Musical spark is also there in the interview . Kudos to their family. There are many interviews in this paa program of carnatic artists. I just had time to hear only 2 artists so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yNosAMIGQQ

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

You know, after coming back from their latest concert, I'm so stunned by what they're capable of on virtually every parameter that I'm going to make a wager on this forum...

I bet you that Anahita and Apoorva are going to break MLV's Sangeetha Kalanidhi age record. I'm serious. I told them that too, and I'm just going to leave this up here to see if in the far future I will be right. If I win, you will all treat me dosa. :mrgreen:

All that's needed now is a little more of that deep internalization of the music where at some point it becomes a living thing, a consecrated sound object, and can stun you with that intangible 'bhava magic' that you cannot truly describe, but which melts you down with even the simplest phrases. This will come naturally (as it does for all musicians) with time. To a great extent it is there already, just a few more years.
Last edited by SrinathK on 10 Dec 2019, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

SrinathK wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 23:24 This will come naturally (as it does for all musicians) with time.
All? A tad too generous. Some, to be sure! :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

SrinathK wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 23:24
I bet you that Anahita and Apoorva are going to break MLV's Sangeetha Kalanidhi age record. I'm serious. I told them that too, and I'm just going to leave this up here to see if in the far future I will be right. If I win, you will all treat me dosa. :mrgreen:
All that you ask as a treat is just dosa that too for sangeetha kalanidhi treat. Atleast i will up a bit your value you get ONION dosa.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Like the god whom I am named after, I am satisfied with simple things - plain ghee dosa is actually my favourite. To sweeten it, you may get me my favourite brand of chocolate. :D :mrgreen:

Actually there is more than one jodi in that SK category. 2 days back I had listened to the Akkarai sisters, and I am now sure they too can do it. More on that in their thread.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Great to see perhaps concert is just opening after a long hiatus. To hear say only a masterpiece like meenakshi memudham only with Kanjira that too BS Sundarkumar is a great missed opportunity for me . These sisters are surely great stars in the making, extraordinary balance and poise with considerable depth. Review from The Hindu dated July 02nd 2021

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 79194.ece0

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sri Vairamangalam toured U.S with just Sri Harishankar sometime in 90s I heard. A person in Cincinatti was in possession of some recordings of that tour. He casually mentioned , he will share it with me some time, but the opportunity never came up to chase him after that.

Agree on the mettle of the sisters! The 2010 Carnatic Idols , have thrown up massive success all around, Bharat, Sriranjani and Anahita/Apoorva. My little one used to be fed playing those videos then, in the first versions of androids!

And G Abhilash is still hiding , he came with a lot of potential!

CRama

Post by CRama »

And what relationship between Vairamngalam and Anahita-Apoorva.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Well this was bout just having Kanjira alone as accompaniment! Just saying there was an instance before!

RSR

Post by RSR »

While searching for info on
Mannaargudi Rajagopaalàswamy , stumbled upon this wonderful video.
Sanskrit kruthi by oothukkadu venkata kavi.
Madhyamaavathy raagam
Sung by
Anahita and Apoorva
https://youtu.be/X921hCnW4RU

Lyrics have been given in comments section.
The video of the vigraham and pooja is enchanting.