Dr S.Ramanathan

Carnatic Musicians
meena

Post by meena »

shankar/DRS

ur welcome :)
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Here are some reminiscences by Geetha Bennett on her father. It is in Thamizh.

http://www.aaraamthinai.com/kalai/kattu ... tturai.asp

thamizhisai_paithiyam

Post by thamizhisai_paithiyam »

there are a few pieces on the sangeethapriya website that are precious. in particular, brochevarevare in sriranjani. the sriranjani alapana is simply some of the best singing i've ever heard. i was listening to it on the drive home from work today. total tear jerker. the aesthetics of his music were so traditional and so pure.
Last edited by thamizhisai_paithiyam on 11 May 2007, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

MV Ramana.
Folks in Bangalore can opt for a Discussion session with him , for one of our meets -apart from concerts.
I can guarantee you,it will be a wonderful experience.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3q746d

Vidamuseyave-Kharaharapriya- 60 minute rendering..

thamizhisai_paithiyam

Post by thamizhisai_paithiyam »

cookarni - that was beautiful; thank you so much.

virig

Post by virig »

kalgada78 wrote:Friends,
Here is the video of Dr.S.Ramanathan,accompanied by Sri Lalgudi and Sri Vellore Ramabhadran.It was
uploaded earlier on Sangeetham.
Here are the links :
http://rapidshare.de/files/13294645/S_R ... 1.mpg.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/13294646/S_R ... 2.mpg.html
Hi,

Does anybody have an full or complete audio recording of the above mentioned mpg. The video is also featured on youtube in four parts?.

Thanks

Giri

avichinnu

Post by avichinnu »

Hi,
Anybody has listened to RTP by S Ramanathan ? I havent found RTP in any of his recordings.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 10 Jun 2007, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

gb

Post by gb »

hi coolji.. the file is missing

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Rasikas,
I am one of the organisers who is organising a S.Ramanathan Rembrance Day this December in Chennai
(Dec 10th at Swamy Auditorium) along with Saraswathi Vaggeyakara Trust. I will write the details of the program when they are finalised but I promise an interesting evening......VKV
Last edited by cacm on 10 Oct 2009, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Radhakrishnan wrote: Prof. S.Ramanthan
He was the disciple of Tiger,Ponnaih pillai,Sabhesha iyer.Associated with Annamalai university and some utys in America as well.Not many people knew that he was a good vainika also,in fact taught veena at Kalakshetra.
As a platform singer,he created no over sensation,voice wasn?t timbre like,or powerful.No fast brikas or head breaking kanakku in swara singing,it was so simple and touching.He was a scholar in tamil folk music and popularised kaavdi chintu.
He was equally good at music theory also.Not only he was knowledgeable,but he was ready and able to convey things thro lec dems.Anybody having such lec dems,pl post it here,they worth so much.I don?t know anybody used to record the lec dems at music academy or any other sabhas during the season,personal recordings,if not the sabha people themselves.
This is a music site,so there has to be audio files,unfortunately due to copyright issues,it is very much restricted.
Soumya,Unnikrishnan(who later learnt under Savithri Sathymurthy,who was also a student of Ramanathan)
Apart from a scholarly musician,he was a gem of a man,utterly humble,like a true saint.
Dressed in whites(which goes with his gray hair, beard and mustache!) he used to sit straight when singing, with his ever pleasant and calm face.
I have attended probably 10 of his concerts(plus some lec dems,one was on kaavadi chintu)from 1980 to 87. I can share something more about this man; he was invited to sing for a sabha near my native place,and the financial position of that sabha was so pathetic,that they were unable to pay him(not sure if they paid him at least the train fare! ) he wasn?t angry,but told them to arrange his concert whenever they face financial problems!
I am happy to inform Rasikas that I am organising a REMEMBERANCE DAY CELEBRATION FOR S.Ramanathan at Swamy's Hall R.K.Mutt RD on 10th DECEMBER 2009 5:30-8:30 P.M. In the next post I am providing DETAILS of the Occasion. Saraswathi Vaggeyakara Trust is a co-orgsaniser& Shanmugapriya is the Sponsor. VKV
Last edited by cacm on 06 Nov 2009, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

DETAILS OF THE FUNCTION ON DEC 10TH 5:30 P.M.-8:30 P.M. AT Swamy's Hall:(PLEASE READ POST 63 ALSO)

5:30 to 6:30 p.m. SPEECHES. SOWMYA, SAVITRI SATYAMURTHY, AMBUJAM VEDANTHAM SPEAK. N.V. SUBRAHMANYAN SPEAKS & PRESENTS AN AWARD to MRS.Geetha Bennett on behalf of Saraswathi Vaggeyakara Trust.
Dr.V.K.Viswanathan will speak about S.RAMANATHAN from TRIPLICANE TO U.S.A & summarize his acheivements as well as contributions.

6:30 P.M. TO 8:30 P.M. Concert by Geetha Bennett(Veena) accompanied by Rajasekhar(Mridangam) & Trichy Murali(Ghatam).

I request EVERY ONE to come and honour the memory of a truly GREAT artist, scholar and HUMAN BEING. vkv(Dr.V.K.Viswanathan)
Last edited by cacm on 07 Nov 2009, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

laks1972

Post by laks1972 »

A documentary on kaavadi chindiu by Dr S Ramanathan is available at
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... adi_chindu

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Should he not be rightfully deserved to be placed under "Vaggeyakaras"?

cacm

Post by cacm »

PLEASE do not move my TWO POSTS#63&64 TO another section. If you decide to do kit PLEASE leave them here & in whatever new place you decide Dr. S.R. belongs. He belongs in a CATEGORY of HIS OWN! VKV

cacm

Post by cacm »

vkv43034 wrote:
Radhakrishnan wrote: Prof. S.Ramanthan
He was the disciple of Tiger,Ponnaih pillai,Sabhesha iyer.Associated with Annamalai university and some utys in America as well.Not many people knew that he was a good vainika also,in fact taught veena at Kalakshetra.
As a platform singer,he created no over sensation,voice wasn?t timbre like,or powerful.No fast brikas or head breaking kanakku in swara singing,it was so simple and touching.He was a scholar in tamil folk music and popularised kaavdi chintu.
He was equally good at music theory also.Not only he was knowledgeable,but he was ready and able to convey things thro lec dems.Anybody having such lec dems,pl post it here,they worth so much.I don?t know anybody used to record the lec dems at music academy or any other sabhas during the season,personal recordings,if not the sabha people themselves.
This is a music site,so there has to be audio files,unfortunately due to copyright issues,it is very much restricted.
Soumya,Unnikrishnan(who later learnt under Savithri Sathymurthy,who was also a student of Ramanathan)
Apart from a scholarly musician,he was a gem of a man,utterly humble,like a true saint.
Dressed in whites(which goes with his gray hair, beard and mustache!) he used to sit straight when singing, with his ever pleasant and calm face.
I have attended probably 10 of his concerts(plus some lec dems,one was on kaavadi chintu)from 1980 to 87. I can share something more about this man; he was invited to sing for a sabha near my native place,and the financial position of that sabha was so pathetic,that they were unable to pay him(not sure if they paid him at least the train fare! ) he wasn?t angry,but told them to arrange his concert whenever they face financial problems!
I am happy to inform Rasikas that I am organising a REMEMBERANCE DAY CELEBRATION FOR S.Ramanathan at Swamy's Hall R.K.Mutt RD on 10th DECEMBER 2009 5:30-8:30 P.M. In post NO 64 I am providing DETAILS of the Occasion. Saraswathi Vaggeyakara Trust is a co-orgsaniser& Shanmugapriya is the Sponsor. VKV

JUST A REMINDER ABOUT S.RAMANATHAN REMEMBERANCE DAY ON DEC 10TH. at SWAMY HALL R.K.MUTT RD, MYLAPORE 5-30 TO 8-30 P.M. PL SEE ALSO POST NO. 64 FOR FURTHRTHR DETAILS. vkv
Last edited by cacm on 09 Dec 2009, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

ragam-talam

Re: Dr S.Ramanathan

Post by ragam-talam »

Smt Geetha Bennett rendering a Surati composition by Dr S Ramanathan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCQ8nJ2qCM

Did SR use a mudra in his kritis?

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

"Dr S Ramanathan was a musician and musicologist, a walking encyclopaedia of information on Carnatic music. What set Dr. S Ramanathan apart was that he was as keen a scholar as he was a practitioner and as keen an innovator as he was a conservator"

Recordings from FM radio:

036-DR S Ramanathan-Dikshadar Krities-28-09-09.MP3:
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3mizymxngqm
Dr.S Ramanathan-On 08-08-09.MP3:
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2j4zxojlj2y

and A Mix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76wURrNwK4Y
E' SWARA 001 AntarangaBhakti Dr S Ramanathan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

*Reminds me of the song he popularised- one of GKB "Yarukkuthan theryum avar mahimai ....." holds True for him as well.

varsha

S Ramanathan

Post by varsha »

mahavishnu

Re: S Ramanathan

Post by mahavishnu »

Varsha, you never cease to amaze me with your collection of these vintage pictures.
I take it that this was from S Ramanathan's sojourn in the US (Wesleyan & Cal Arts?) from the early 70s. It is hard to recognize him without his trademark beard!

Thanks also for the recording...

varsha

Post by varsha »

thanks mahavishnu . will get a few more up on this thread.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Varsha, That RTP in Chakravakam was awesome. I had never heard this before. Can you upload the remaining songs of that concert. Thanks in advance.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Pl find link to a rare song of Thyagraja in Yadukulakambodi sung soulfully by Dr.S.Ramanthan
Chelimini-
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ddu8w6

varsha

Post by varsha »

with Martin Luther King jr
Crama full concert will follow

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Varsha, thats a great pic. Thanks very much

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/?y71x0nn422qx1

CRama
The full concert is here . cheers.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Lovely pictures Varsha :)

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Varsha, lovely pictures. Thank you. Here is another one (courtesy David Nelson's website).

cienu

Post by cienu »

Ramesh ! Great picture. !
Thanks for sharing :)

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks to varsha for the lovely pictures and the full concert Thanks to Mahavishnu for the rare picture.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Even Martin luther king has an umbrella (kodai)like antha kAlathu pAttu vAdiyAr ;)

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Varsha Avl
Many thanx for the rare fotos and the complete concert of Dr S R
Mahavishnu Avl,
Thanx for the lovely and rare picture.
with wishes,
Thanjavooran 11 07 2012

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Thanks for the lovely pictures and the full concert!

I relish every opportunity that I get to listen to Sri. S Ramanathan's music!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I wonder if any recording of Sri Ramanathan's veena playing exists.

varsha

Post by varsha »

IT EXISTS . :) A sing-along home recording.
Will put it up here tomorrow

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Varsha,
I had only one person in mind (as to who might have a recording) when I asked that question and I was spot on.
Looking forward to yet another gift from you (I have become shameless in asking for and receiving gifts from you!)
Thank you!
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 15 Jul 2012, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sreeni, well asked :) I am looking forward to this gem.
I have never heard the great vidwan's veenai performance.

alpajnani

Post by alpajnani »

I remember a music conference held in our small town of Shimoga in Karnataka (some time in the early 80's if I recall correctly). There was a lec-dem by Dr. Ramanathan about raaga structure and bhaava imparted by various raaga's IIRC. He put it in such a lucid fashion that even a musically inept kid like me could understand it. I have always considered this lec-dem as a cornerstone in my ability to better appreciate music.

Sidenote: The lecture had made the rounds amongst the music students in town that it was "not to be missed". Unfortunately it was on a week day morning and I would have to miss a mathematics class at school that was run by a strict disciplinarian teacher. Obviously, I bunked my high school mathematics class and went to Dr. Ramanathans lecture :grin: . Half way through the lec-dem, I got a tap on my shoulders and turned around to find my mathematics teacher sitting behind me!! I almost jumped out of my skin with the thoughts of a thorough dressing down right then and there. Instead, he gave a big smile and said something like "one has to know what is important in life and make the right choices and I am proud that you did the right thing - no one should miss Dr. Ramanathan's talk"!!!!!!!! He even went on to exchange the notes he had taken down at that lec-dem with me.

(long time ardent reader; my first post on rasikas.org - but the memory of Dr.Ramanathan's lecture and my respect for him is so strong I couldn't help but reply)

varsha

Post by varsha »

Well Well . We can have some of his lectures too , here . Held in Telugu land .

varsha

Post by varsha »

I wonder if any recording of Sri Ramanathan's veena playing exists.
http://www.mediafire.com/?71mjgpo7a556bgv

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Wow! What a treasure!

I was not expecting a 67 minute treat!

Thank you!

venkatakailasam

Vidamu seyave Kharaharapriya thyagaraja...

Rendered by Dr S Ramanathan...1hour concert..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUM7d0if4-g
:clap:

venkatakailasam

Thamathamen Swami Todi

composed by Papnasam Sivan...

rendered by Dr S Ramanathan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9YcuFWhsD0

listen to the neraval....."avalodu un arul mevavenru manam Ashai kondu migha vadude" what an apt place he has taken for it...

venkatakailasam

A rare recording of Kavadi chidu By Dr. SR with pazani Vijayalakshmi..

Dr.Ramanathan 024-kaavadi_chindu..

http://mfi.re/listen/mo0ofhm14e5r23f/Dr ... chindu.mp3

venkatakailasam

Dr. SR playing veena..
The earlier post by varsha has become 'invalid'....

Dr. playing veena..

Veena Concert - S Ramanathan..

http://mfi.re/listen/iccujd9w9dirgdf/Ve ... nathan.mp3

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

From The Hindu, Tamil edition dated 27.10.2016

magizhchiyai thudhu vitta natanam

A dance programme was orgaised at Narada Gana sabha, Chennai as part of the centenery of Dr.S Ramanathan

http://tamil.thehindu.com/society/spiri ... 271870.ece