Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
venu sundar

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by venu sundar »

TX A LOT VKV SIR!I FEEL IT IS TIME TO MAKE ALL CARNATIC RASIKAS TO PRAISE THE GREATNESS OF MMI THE MUSICAL GOD!I WANT THE GLOBAL RASIKAS TO FEEL IT!TX!

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Venu Sir ,

I have responded to your letter on the article by Sivakumar . Some influential rasikas and musicians seem to think that MMI's music does not deserve

the fame and popularity that it has been receiving . The "Great " GNB Sir thinks otherwise . He refused to be honoured as Sangeetha Kalanidhi before MMI getting

it . He consented only after being cajoled by MMI and the Academy people assured him that the honour should be bestowed on MMI the next year .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

venu sundar wrote:DEAR ALL<
At the outset I thank our VKV SIR and Cleveland SUndaram Sirs for their patronage for any MMI event.It is our fortune that we are a blessed lot.Madam Dr.Narmadha who is always part of all the events related to MMI for long!But I am disappointed MANY of the MADDYS of MMI do not even respond to such posts either S or NO!It is a very sad situation.Further there was an article on Friday the 30th May In the TOI Chennai on the subject Music Past Memories in which stalwarts like Ariyakudi GNB etc were well figured but MMI is ignored!This happens quite a few times!Should we continue to be MUTE and DEAF and DUMB rasikas of perhaps the most beloved MMI our ICON of Music1
On my part I had given a rejoinder for which TOI had also responded positively!Times of India Chennai needs to check and verify before publishing such type of articles at least in future.I am just sharing the experience and once again appeal to ALL the MMI Maddys to attend the June 8th Sunday event to make us come together in MMI memory!
Shri venu sundar(son of chiti sundarrajan of manikodi fame),
I googled and found this url, I am assuming you are talking about the same article as the below one.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 751472.cms

In general I have noticed MMI is not having that much coverage in press when we discuss about legacy artist . I surely agree on that - many reasons there may be a hidden agenda in anything. But I did not find anything that condescending as you have indicated in the above article for you to complain, may be if you are talking about some other article in TOI, do let me know the url or some key phrases , i can google and try my luck to find it.

I have to disagree with the article when Sanjay says GNB is the prominently used bani today, i think he has himself once said in his show that it is semmangudi and I also think the same.Certainly the greatest baani influence is only semmangudi(his sheer longivity of living upto 95 is one of the main reason) and everyone follows next.

The success of a successful musician Should be drummed and continued to be beaten more and more by the count of performing sishyas. SSi (especially)and GNB had a lot of sishyas, MMI has less count of sishyas, infact as of today it is only Vidwans TVS and Suryaprakash who are faithfully carrying and more importantly have already created their own ideas and strong individuality . Few more second/Third generations of MMI are just raising but they have not created an impact , it is work in progress.I sincerely pray so that happens for next generation of rasikas to enjoy MMI bani as we move on.

On a side note , we discussed long time about how 7 musicians namely (ARI,SSI, PMI,GNB, TNR,Mali,MSS) are the biggest stars when TMK wrote in a book. Someone in our forum wrote wonderfully as a counter - he said if His holiness Mahaswami Chandarasekara Swami who was supposed to not have AAsai in anything had an aasai for MMI music , the case is already dismissed. :-BD

- Rajesh,a rasika who has nearly made up his mind in his life that MMI and SSI are his perennial two top musicians .

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear Rajesh
I thank You for the in-depth response you have given to TOI article and I agree with you broadly.Sanjay has written an article in his blog earlier on titled MAGIC OF MADURAI MANI IYER and also in one of the JAYA TV Margazhi Concert praised MMI particularly but my own point is some thing different.Many writers IGNORE MMI in the historical process of Carnatic Music and one such glaring examples was that of Sri Mahdevan in his book MUSICAL MUSINGS if I am correct NEVER mentioned MMI and I wrote to him and he graciously chided me and also conceded in his own way.There seemed to be some complex among the critics as well as musicians reg MMI!AS you rightly mentioned late great
GNB had more disciples compared to MMI is a very valid fact.But I would like to stress the point that the greatness of MMI in that even after a century of his life and 46 years after his death the rasikas of MMI enjoy MMIs brand like SARASASAMADHANA MAAJANAKI KANDANKARUNAI AND ENGLISH NOTE and MMI has built a castle of his own.As you very rightly opined the great PARAMACHARYA hailed MMI and that is the BEST!TX!

anandasangeetham

Post by anandasangeetham »

Enjoyed every bit of the programme. Kudos to Vishu for the lively and detailed snippets and very rare pics he projected..... Every one of the 100 odd rasikas were drenched in MMIs pouring music.....look forward to more such music showers....

Thanks to Sri Venu and all who made this programme a success..

While listening to the RTP in Keeravani and when the maestro plunged into the ragamalika...in the Sindhu Bhairavi he sings Ma ma ga ri sa... where he renders both the Ma.. but when I referred to the Sindhu Bhairavi scale there is only one Ma and that is M1... Experts please enlighten me..

thanks

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear ALL MMI homage day was a grand one at PSHS and we hit a TON since 100+ rasikas attended the function and the next one will be on 27th JULY 2014 last Sunday at the same venue.We request ALL the MMI MADDYS to attend the concert to make it BIG!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear ALL MMI homage day was a grand one at PSHS and we hit a TON since 100+ rasikas attended the function and the next one will be on 27th JULY 2014 last Sunday at the same venue.We request ALL the MMI MADDYS to attend the concert to make it BIG!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Gana galadhara Madura Mani Iyer’s 46th remembarance day was conducted by His
rasikas at Vivekanada hall PS school Mylapore.
Chief Guest Sri Narasaih reminiscised Mani mandapam functions at trichy
In association wth Chitti mama and Mani Iyer in composing Desa bhakthy padal
Mani mozhi on Mahathma Gandhi
The highlight of the function was His recorded kacheries in50s and 60s
Rendering krthis in mohanam, thodi, saurshtram, vachaspathi,ragam thanam pallavi
In ragamalika with His inemitable swara prastharams made the audience spell bound
Memoirs of MMI presentation with famous violinists and percussionists in 40s to 60
Was an added attraction for the elite rasikas assembled in large numbers in the hall
Seeing the overwhelming response from Mani Iyer’s music lovers in and around
Mylapore, the organizers are planning to repeat such wonderful MMI musical
Evenings once in a month hopefully!
sg
3 Attachments
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear Sir,

I would like to present this type of article from youngsters (sanjay etc.) as a case study of how mani iyer's music influences..

Giving below the link with an interesting article that i had come across couple of years back.

http://ramavarma.yolasite.com/tribute-t ... i-iyer.php

I normally turn to music whenever my mind is agitated, tormented or weakened. The music of Mozart and the songs of Kishore Kumar never fail to help. In Carnatic music, it is normally M.D.Ramanathan that I turn to. But when one is sad and one desperately needs doses of pure unadulterated Joy, whom else can one think of but Madurai Mani Iyer? Cherubic, gentle, lilting, innocent, joyful, buoyant and pure, the very thought of the man brings a smile to one's heart. From the tentative and endearing little "Madurai Mani sound" on Ga (Roughly but not quite resembling the 'LEA" from the word "Learn"…..pronounced correctly but rendered with a smile....almost as though the singer is gently checking to see whether the Ga is still there in it's proper place) before plunging delightfully into Vathapi, rather like a child would, into a swimming pool for kids and splash joyfully around, till the similar Madurai Mani sound on the upper Sa (A bit like "Uay" this time.) before shooting off a breezy Pavamaana as the Mangalam, one is transported into an enchanting world of light and joy for three hours or so, the after effects of which continue to linger for a long long time.

"Cute" isn't an adjective one would normally associate with one of the Titans of Carnatic music.(A Sangeetha Kalanidhi too at that.) But Madurai Mani Iyer was, among a host of other adjectives, Extremely cute. And utterly disarming. From the way he sang syllables like Tharana and La La La, vowels like Oooo and Oueee to phrases that sounded almost like "I love you" at times during Raga Alapanas, to the way he would spontaneously burst into song from time to time with syllables like "Tatta tada" and "Tuttu Tudu" when the violinist played Thaanam, to the way he would joyfully repeat the same word with little squiggles and charming variations at the end while doing Neraval (Kapi Vaaridhi, Kaalinil Chilambu, Hithavu Maatalentho, Chsaduvulanni, Raaga Thaala, Raja Raja Vara, Maanikkam Vairam, Paluku Botini…..the list goes on and on), to the way he sang Swarams ending with Ninni in Reethigowla which became Lilly at times, to the squeals of delight whenever his accompanists played beautifully, virtually Everything about him was cute. The sweetness that the man and his music embodied inspired many to call him "Madhura" Mani Iyer. I remember an old LP record of Mukesh with the title "That Old Feeling." With Madurai Mani Iyer, it would be "That Joyful Feeling."

Since my Carnatic Music listening as a child was restricted mostly to those who sang at the Navarathri Mandapam, Trivandrum and since Mani Iyer never performed there, I had never heard him or even heard Of him till I was late into my teens. Step One of the joyful event was attending a concert by Shri T.V.Shankaranarayanan. The pep, verve and positive energy Shankaranarayanan Sir imparted, blew me away and I became a fan instantly. I would catch an afternoon train fromTrivandrum to Cochin to attend a TVS concert, accompanied by people like M.S.Gopalakrishnan and Karaikudi Mani and come back by the midnight train. Those days, I had no idea about his Guru cum Maama or his music. After someone told me that TVS was the nephew and disciple of someone called Madurai Mani Iyer, I started to search for his music and finally found the delightful recording of his (With T.N.Krishnan and Vellore Ramabhadran accompanying him …. brilliantly as they always did) containing songs like Thathvamariya Tharamaa, Maa Janaki, Eppo Varuvaro, Saarasa Mukhi, Nija Marmamulanu, the English Note and so on. And there was no looking back.

I have often heard the word "Heavy" being employed to indicate something that is solid….and "Light" to indicate something frivolous. But Madurai Mani Iyer's voice was "Light" in the most charming way possible. (Luminous and effervescent would be two more apt adjectives.) Even so called "Heavy" Ragas like Thodi, Bhairavi, Asaveri and Varali resembled snowflakes falling gently, when handled by Madurai Mani Iyer. My beloved Guru, Shri K.S.Narayanaswami used to tell me that Swarams should be sung with the same mindset with which one would shower flower petals on an idol ….and not like one would sling stones at someone or something. Madurai Mani Iyer sang Swarams like showering flower petals, be it in the slow or fast tempo. Some schools of music write Swaram singing off as mere "Spelling." But the way Mani Iyer sang, never Ever sacrificing the proper Gamakams, aesthetics or a perfect sense of proportion, Swaram singing was elevated to great heights, be it in pentatonic ragas like Mohanam or Valachi, heavy ragas like Thodi or Shankarabharanam, Hindusthani Ragas like Behag or Sindhubhairavi or typically Carnatic Ragas like Durbar or Asaveri. Like Swaram singing, his Viruththams too were a class apart. One feels one could go on listening to him singing Viruththams till the end of time. It is said that every single hair on the body of Shri Anjaneya is soaked in Rama Naamam. Similarly when Mani Iyer sang a viruththam (Or for that matter, anything at all), Each note would be a perfect sample of that particular Raga. Ranjani, Hamsanandi, Kapi, you name it. So much so that when he sang Hamsanandi, one felt that even the Shadjam itself was a "Hamsanandi Sa."

To my ears, violinists from the time of Shri T.N.Krishnan, Shri Lalgudi Jayaraman and Shri M.S.Gopalakrishnan seem to have done a more refined job of accompanying the exquisite music of the maestro than the great masters who preceded them. As did the melodious and uplifting band of percussionists from the Pazhani Subramania Pillai school of percussion. The way he played, especially during the Neravals of Madurai Mani Iyer, was a celebration in itself.....accompaniment at it's glorious best. When certain mridangam "accompunishments" sit and make heavy, plodding "statements" by one's side, doing absolutely nothing to aid the music, one is tempted to shout "Go listen to Pazhani play with Madurai Mani Iyer and learn how (And what) to play !"

I have always been drawn more to songs in Telugu, Sanskrit and Kannada than ones in Tamil or Malayalam. But the Tamil songs by composers like Papanasam Sivan, Gopalakrishna Bharathi and others glowed like jewels and acquired a special Madurai Mani Iyer sheen when he sang them. In fact many songs became more strongly identified as Madurai Mani songs.... Eppo Varuvaro and Vellai Thaamarai Poovil for instance….than as products of the people who composed them. The Western Note "Gaa Ma Ma Ri Ga Pa" composed by Dr.Harikesanallur Muthaiah Bhagavathar is actually called the "Madurai Mani Iyer Note."

I find it amazing that a man who passed away forty years ago, on June 8th 1968, a couple of months before I was born, happens to be one of the most real, vibrant, palpable and special presences both in my life as well as in the lives of thousands of others like me. With advances in technology, more and more recordings of Mani Iyer's divine art are becoming available on the internet, uploaded by kind souls with good taste, in sites like sangeethapriya.org. One can easily presume that whatever changes may happen in the music field, there would always be an ever increasing family of Madurai Mani Iyer lovers, with joyful music in their hearts, spread all over the world.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I want to bring to the ATTENTION of every Rasika how much the children of the great Chitti Sundararajan especially Venusundar have been responsible in promoting by PRACTICAL ways the MUSIC&MEMORY OF the truly great musicians who are NOT getting their fair share like MMI & SEVERAL OTHERS LIKE SOMU etc. This & future generations owe them incalculable debt of gratitude for not letting the usual powers to be DISTORT the truth about the impact of VERY GREAT musicians who have contributed to the awakening of interst in Carnatic Music. May their tribe increase. VKV :ymapplause: :))

cacm

Post by cacm »

delete
Last edited by cacm on 24 Jun 2014, 22:02, edited 2 times in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

deleted as it is duplicate

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Rasikas ,
This expression by a true devotee of MMI , the grandson of Raja Ravi Varma , I presume , brings to my mind what Sri MDR told me

several decades ago , when he refused to write about MMI's music in Illustrated Weekly of India , saying that MMI's music was beyond analysis ,

and when you go to his concert with an analytical intentions , and as the concert starts immediately you are lifted above to ecstatic heights , and at

the end you forget all your initial intentions and simply enjoy the eternal bliss!

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

venkatakailasam

MMI at Thiruvaiyaru with Malaikottai Govindaswamy Pillai-TK Murthy -uvi-1963

http://mfi.re/listen/k6x62aeyi9x55q7/MM ... i-1963.mp3

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

venkatakailasam wrote:MMI at Thiruvaiyaru with Malaikottai Govindaswamy Pillai-TK Murthy -uvi-1963

http://mfi.re/listen/k6x62aeyi9x55q7/MM ... i-1963.mp3
Mayavaram Govindaraja Pillai - Violin; lovely concert.
I love the way TK Moorthy accompanies MMI and I am a huge fan of Govindaraja Pillai, what a tone on violin.

venkatakailasam

I had a doubt...it is written in the link MGP...First that after listening , I thought that it was Mayavaram Govindaraja Pillai .

Then, when I went through Shri MKR's posting in another thread, MGP was refereed as Malaikottai Govindaswamy Pillai who used to play to SSI...

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Malaikottai Govindaswamy Pillai was a much senior vidwan, who had accompanied Konerirajapuram Vaidhyanatha Iyer (chinna vaitha), Madurai Pushpavanam, Kanchipuram Nayana Pillai and others.

An interesting anecdote, Malaikottai Govindaswamy Pillai lived near Rockfort temple, Trichy. Alathur Venkatesa Iyer, used to send disciples (Sivasubramania Iyer and Srinivasa Iyer) to MGP Sr. house at morning 5 AM, to listen to MGP Sr. practice violin everyday. Among others MGP's was known for his rendition of Seethapathe (khamas).

Mayavaram Govindaraja Pillai is a disciple another stalwart Kumbakonam Rajamanickam Pillai.

venkatakailasam

I am in search of a composition in raga Muhari

rendered by MMI..

I wonder whether at all he had touched this raga...

can somebody help?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VK Sir
MMI has sung ksheenamai in mukhari, but there is no available record . Possibly VKV Sir and/or Balummi have heard in a live concert.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I have heard in person & I still have 300 MMI CASSETTES I am trying to go thru' looking for the ones I do not have in close to 300 concerts. At 80, & being involved in MANY PROJECTS if i strike I STRIKE GOLD I will let you know. VKV

venkatakailasam

MMI-184-nija_marmamulanu_delisina-umAbharaNam.

umAbharaNam...A rare Raga ...
Umābharanam S R2 G3 M1 P D2 N2 S S N2 P M1 R2 G3 M1 R2 S

http://mfi.re/listen/t3vw3m4se4ydedf/MM ... araNam.mp3

venkatakailasam

எத்தனை விதங்கள்தான் கற்கினும் கேட்கினும்என்
இதயமும் ஒடுங்கவில்லை
யானெனும் அகந்தைதான் எள்ளளவு மாறவிலை
யாதினும் அபிமானம்என்
சித்தமிசை குடிகொண்ட தீகையொ டிரக்கமென்
சென்மத்து நானறிகிலேன்
சீலமொடு தவவிரதம் ஒருகனவி லாயினுந்
தெரிசனங் கண்டும்அறியேன்
பொய்த்தமொழி யல்லால் மருந்துக்கும் மெய்ம்மொழி
புகன்றிடேன் பிறர்கேட்கவே
போதிப்ப தல்லாது சும்மா இருந்தருள்
பொருந்திடாப் பேதைநானே
அத்தனை குணக்கேடர் கண்டதாக் கேட்டதா
அவனிமிசை யுண்டோசொலாய்
அண்டபகி ரண்டமும் அடங்கவொரு நிறைவாகி
ஆனந்த மானபரமே. 9.
-தாயுமானவர்

Listen to the song by MMI...
Song number 63 at http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2011/03 ... -iyer.html

Translitertion:

ettanai vida#ngaLdAn kaRginum kETginumen
idayamum oDu#ngavillai
yAnenum agandaidAn eLLaLavu mARavilai
yAdinum abimAnamen
sittamisai kuDigoNDa tIgaiyo Tirakkamen
senmattu nAnaRigilEn
sIlamoDu tavaviradam oruganavi lAyinun
terisana#n kaNDumaRiyEn
poyttamozhi yallAl marundukkum meymmozhi
puganRiDEn piRargETgavE
pOdippa tallAdu summA irundaruL
porundiDAp pEdainAnE
attanai kuNakkEDar kaNDadAk kETTadA
avanimisai yuNDOsolAy
aNDabagi raNDamum aDa#ngavoru niRaivAgi
Ananda mAnabaramE. 9.
-tAyumAnavar

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Remembering MMI

Carnatic musician Madurai Mani Iyer.
Carnatic musician Madurai Mani Iyer.

The 45{+t}{+h}anniversary of Carnatic singer Madurai Mani Iyer, famous for his unique style, will be observed on August 8 at Vivekananda Hall of P.S. Higher Secondary School, Myalpore at 5.45 p.m. K R. A. Narasiah, marine engineer and author, will be the chief guest. The recorded songs of the singer will be played to the audience from 6.05 p.m.

On August 10, rasikas of Madurai Mani Iyer will gather at the same venue at 4.45 p.m. The chief guest is V. Ramnarayan, Editor-in-Chief, Sruti magazine. From 5.05 p.m., excerpts of various live concerts of the legend will be aired.

For details, contact S. Venugopalan at 9841313527

98413 13527.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

While a salubrous evening set in on 10th,after previous day showers, MMI rasikas assembled in large
numbers at Vivekanandha hall of PS high school to listen to, MMI 's Golden melodies.
Chief Guest of the evening, V. Ramnarayan of Sruthi paid rich tributes to Mohana Mani as outstanding vocalist of 20th centuary. Though, the speaker confessed ,that he
Was carrying coals to New castle, as the elite gathering knew more about MMI, but
It was not so, as he touched upon Mani Iyer’s many unique swara singing style, and His
Rapport with His rasikas throught his career, and how he cracked genetic code of carnatic music which made an emotional impact on rasikas

The audience applauded when the chief guest concluded in saying that what
Unified us today to assemble and listen to His concert ,was not because of He sang
Through His throat and lungs, but because He sang through His heart
From Vishnu’s wide collections of MMI , 1969 january concert at PS school compound after He was awrded sangita kalanidhi was played MMI was accompanied by Lalgudi and palani subbudu
As usual , kutcheri commenced with Vathabi Ganapatim, followed with Darbar[lochana], purvakalyani[meenakshi amudam dhehi], enchanting kamas[brocheva]
Inemitable thodi with His unique swaraprastharams[kamalambhige]and concluded with madyamavathi[karpakame]

The standing ovation by the audience proved that rasikas had the unique experience of listening His live concert ,5 deacades back again ,transcending Time !
sg

2 Attachments
Download all

cacm

Post by cacm »

EXCITING ACCOUNT! CONGRAGULATIONS TO THE MMI MADDIES & MAY THEIR TRIBE INCREASE! GREAT SERVICE TO GOOD CARNATIC MUSIC & A VERY GREAT GENIUS. VKV O:-) :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

kittappa

Post by kittappa »

1969 january concert at PS school compound after He was awrded sangita kalanidhi was played MMI was accompanied by Lalgudi and palani subbudu
It must be 1959. That was the year MMI was awarded SK.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

WE HAVE PLANS TO CELEBRATE MADURAI MANI IYER JANMA NAKSHATHIRAM KARTHIGAI MONTH ROHINI AT THE PSHS VIVKANANDA HALL MYLAPORE CHENNAI ON THE 9TH OF NOVEMBER 2014 IN A HUMBLE HOMELY AND DIVINE WAY BETWEEN 4PM AND 8PM SUNDAY AND WE CALL UPON ALL THE MADDYS TO COME AND ENJOY THE MOST EXCITING AND EVENTFU EVENING1I HAVE GOT A PERSONAL FEELING THAT MMI MUSIC NEEDS TO BE HEARD NOOK AND CORNER OF ALL MMI MADDYS AND I HAVE VERY VALID AND AT THE SAME TIME GRIEVANCE THAT MANY OF US TALK AND DISCUSS BUT WE HAVE TO BE MORE VIBRANT AND KICKING TO SPREAD THE MUSIC OF THE ONE AND ONLY MMI LEGEND1

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

MMI-LGJ-PSP- divine combination
MMI sangeetha kalanidhi concert
In inta sowkhya - MMI launches into ragamaliga swaras(Attn Ranganayaki). I cannot recollect if any one did before that , may be MMI did this first . I am assuming MMI had a time constraint to not launch into RTP hence he went to ragamaliga swaras in main.

http://sangeethapriya.gotdns.org:8080/s ... -Concert-/

VKV or MKR or sundararjan or Balummi or any one else,
Did any one hear this live concert of 1959 MMI SK concert ? Inputs of those .

venkatakailasam

Last edited by venkatakailasam on 20 Oct 2014, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Rajeshnat,
I HAD LEFT INDIA FOR USA BY THEN. However I did talk to several including MMI about it. If there is interest in it I will be happy to recall my exchanges. VKV

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cacm wrote:Dear Rajeshnat,
I HAD LEFT INDIA FOR USA BY THEN. However I did talk to several including MMI about it. If there is interest in it I will be happy to recall my exchanges. VKV
VKV Sir,
Please do share - I am sure there is interest. One thing I know is that Shri TVS read the speech of Sangeetha kalanidhi on behalf of MMI.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I will write as soon as I RETURN from my trip to Seattle& L.A FIRST WEEK OF NOVEMBER. VKV

chetants

Post by chetants »

Rajeshnat and dear rasikas,
The violin in the MMI sangeetha kalanidhi concert sounds like TNK to me. I am not saying this was or was not the SK concert, but the gamaka studded violin makes me feel it is Prof. TNK. I do have the entire concert in an old tape(other than the Kalyani and Kapi) and I have listened to it a 100+ times. Am I missing something? Please correct me if I am wrong.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Chetants
As per Music academy website - copy and pasting the relevant portion
Wednesday 30th December 1959 5.30 p.m. The Special Pandal P. S . High School Mylapore
Sri Madurai Mani Iyer(Vocal)
Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman (Violin)
Sri Palani Subrahmanya Pillai (Mridangam)

cacm

Post by cacm »

+MANJUNATH-GHATAM in the ACTUAL Concert. VKV

cacm

Post by cacm »

+MANJUNATH-GHATAM in the ACTUAL Concert. VKV

kapali

Post by kapali »

Dear Rajeshnat, can you kindly download in this forum MMI's 1959 SKconcert featuring his InthaSowkhya with , as I have some problem downloading from sangithapriya. I will be thankful for the same.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Rajesh Nat,
MMI did not sing Intha Sowkya in the Sangeetha Kalanidhi Concert of 30th Dec1959. He gave the actual concert only on 1st of Jan 1960 . He sang RTP Kalyani - Un Darisanam Kidaikumo in that concert . Probably you are referring to the Rama Navami concert of 1967 in which he sang Intha Sowkya with ragamalika swaras . the accompanists in that concert were TNK and Umayalpuram Sivaraman . Obviously the concert did not contain RTP!

venkatakailasam

MMI--001--LGJ-PSP--MA-1959--Kalanidhi-Concert- was uploaded by Shri KS Jaishankar at SP...

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/ksj/Madurai-Mani-Iyer/

Part of it is Inta-Saukhya---Kapi...with LGJ and PSP..refereed to above..

Listen it here...

MMI-185-Inta-Saukhya---Kapi..

http://mfi.re/listen/vykkbzn2prw1p0k/MM ... a-Kapi.mp3

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

The song list of Madurai Mani Iyer Kalanidhi Concert: (Madurai Mani Iyer, Lalgudi Jayaraman, Pazhani Subramania Pillai, Bangalore Manjunath) - 1/1/1960 (Friday)

Vathapi
Shri Shukra
Yochana
Meenakshi Memudam
Brochevarevarura
Kamalambike - Thodi
Kaa vaa vaa
Thani Avarthanam (Pazhani Subramania Pillai and Bangalore Manjunath)
Jaalanthara - Valaji
RTP - Kalyani (un darisanam kidaikkumo nataraja dayanidhe, kandajaathi thiruputa thaalam)
Ragamalika Swaras - Kanada, Sindhubhairavi
Short Thani Avarthanam
Karpagame
Mangalam

The original list given by MMI to the Academy had Budhamashrayami (as the concert date planned was 30/12/1959) and Mariveragathi - Anandabhairavi, which he did not sing.

The Inthasowkya recording with Ragamalika (Behag, Ranjani and Sindhubhairavi) is dated 4/9/1967 - Grifith Road Ramanavami Concert with TNK, Vellore Ramabhadran and Alangudi. The concert has Balakanakamaya, Niravadhi sukhada (with raga alapana, neraval at Maamava maragatha and swaras), Ethaavunara, Raamanaikkannara kandaane (Mohanam) and Needhumahima (Hamsanandhi). This happened to be his last concert at the Ramanavami festival in the venue. The next year Shri.T.V.S sang with the same accompaniments.

Besides the above there are 2 more Inthasowkya with Ragamalika (one in 1966, with TNK, Sivaraman, Alangudi at Ramanavami, Grifith Road) and another one at Mani Mantapam, Trichy in 1958 (Swara Ragamalika with requests from his friends to sing begada etc.)

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

The excerpts from the above Sangeetha Kalanidhi concert was released in 1990 by AVM with Shri Shukra, Yochana, Meenakshi memudam, Brocheva, Kamalambike and Karpagame. The recording was edited to suit 90 minutes (2X45 minute cassettes).

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Grifith Road ?? Krishna Gana Sabha is on Griffith Road - which has been renamed Maharajapuram Santhanam Road. Can there another Rama Navami festival on the same road ? There is also a MMI concert supposedly @ Miller Road (superb high quality recording, bless that soul).

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Vishnu
Glad to seeing your post - after a long hiatus , that too clarifying with song list . The date of MA in the website was rescheduled too. Tx chetants for raising your query of TNK vs LGJ . The website of sangeethapriya which I posted needs the correction as posted by VRP.

venkatakailasam

Shri. VISHNURAMPRASAD..

The list provided in your post #941 has been uoloaded by Shri VKV

in SP..

03-MMI_Music_Academy-1959
vkv

The title of 'Sangeetha Kalanidhi' was conferred on
Sri.Madurai Mani Iyer in 1959.
List of Songs:

1. Vatapi ganapatim bhajeham - Hamsadhvani - Adi - Muthusvami Dikshitar
2. Sri sukra bhagavantham - Paras - Ata - Muthusvami Dikshitar
3. Yochana kamala lochana - Darbar - Adi - Thyagaraja
4. Meenakshi me mudam dehi - Gamakakriya - Adi - Muthusvami Dikshitar
5. Brochevarevarura - Khamas - Adi - Mysore Vasudevachar
6. Kamalambike - Thodi - Rupakam - Muthusvami Dikshitar
7. Kaa vaa vaa - Varali - Adi - Papanasam Sivan
8. Jalanthara - Valaji - Rupakam - Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavathar
9. RTP - Kalyani - Khanda Triputa
10. Karpagame - Madhyamavati - Adi - Papanasam Sivan
11. Mangalam - Sowrashtram - Adi - Thyagaraja

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/vkv/03-M ... ademy-1959

Listen it here:
Concert 278-MMI-Music_Academy-1959

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2014/09 ... art-x.html
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 25 Oct 2014, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Annamalai ,
Ramanavami venue in Griffith Road was not that of Krishna Gana Sabha . It was actually Ramakrishna School ground behind the small temple and it was opposite to KG Sabha !

kapali

Post by kapali »

If the InthaSowkhya piece with ragamalika swaras was part of MMI 's 1967 Ramanavami festival concert, he must have been in fragile health at that time.
Incidentally, I think ,till 1962or 63, , Lalgudi accompanied MMI in most of his concerts. Post 1963, it looks as if TNK accompanied MMI in most of his concerts. May be my conjecture is not quite correct!

kapali

Post by kapali »

I wanted to convey that the way he sang InthaSowkhya with ragamalika, there was no sign of his fragile health or stamina even in 1967, a year before his demise!

kapali

Post by kapali »

I wanted to convey that the way he sang InthaSowkhya with ragamalika, there was no sign of his fragile health or stamina even in 1967, a year before his demise!

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Kapali,

After the demise of Sri Aryakudi TNK totally dedicated himself to Mani iyer. There were many rumours afloat

regarding Lalgudi Sir not accompanying MMIfrom 1962 and were all rumours . Sri Lalgudi Sir had rpeatedly expressed his wish to listen

to MMI atleast for 3 hours as his last wish!