Carnatic Musicians
cacm

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by cacm »

LET ME ECHO YOUR SENTIMENTS. MMI SINGING ANY THING IS ETERNAL BLISS! VKV

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Two Musical incidents relating to MMI which are found in the NET also I want to bring to our MMI MADDYS!Once when MMI and his party was waiting at the Mayavaram Train Station to board a train to Madras@Chennai a few porters were around and the train was LATE by 45 MTs or so!The porters were heard saying IYER WILL GO TO SING FOR VIPS IN MADRAS AND WE CANNOT HEAR HIM!MMI on hearing this asked Vembu and others to settle down at the
nearby Pillayar Koil and sang a few songs for the Porters!ANother time One ENglishman was travelling in a train and MMI was singing the famed and his branded ENGLISH NOTE and the gentleman came down and danced for the tunes!MMI took Music to ALL!I get HURT when upstrts do not notice HIM!

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

A review of MMI's concert in the 40's ( In Tamil) by 'Kalki' Krishnamurthi .
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2015/06/53.html

An imaginary meeting between GNB and MMI ( a Tamil article)
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2015/04/52.html

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

கானகலாதர மதுரை மணி அய்யர் 47 ஆம் ஆண்டு நினைவஞ்சலி

மதுரை மணி அய்யர் ரசிகர்கள் சங்கம்.

நாள் : 16/7/2015 SUNFAY

இடம் : விவேகானந்தர் அரங்கம், பி.ஸ். ஹை ஸ்கூல், ராமக்ருஷ்ணா மடம் சாலை, மைலாப்பூர்.

நெரம் : மாலை 4.to 7P M.

நிகழ்ச்சி நிரல்

4.to 4-15 வரை :- தேனீர் உபசரிப்பு

இறை வணக்கம்
நினைவலைகள் - திரு. பாலசுப்ரமணியன்
மணி பழனி இசை அமுதம் : பழனி சுப்ரமணிய பிள்ளையின் பக்கவாத்யத்தில் மதுரை மணி அய்யரின் இசை தொகுப்பு
பாலக்காடு மணியும் மதுரை மணியும் - இசை தொகுப்பு B27Y VISHNU CONTACT CHITTIVENU 9841313527
மங்களம்.
0 x

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
Ph: +91 44 42151321

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

16/8/2015?

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

கானகலாதர மதுரை மணி அய்யர் 47 ஆம் ஆண்டு நினைவஞ்சலி

மதுரை மணி அய்யர் ரசிகர்கள் சங்கம்.

நாள் : 16/8/2015 SUNDAY AUGUST MONTH!TX CHELLAPPA SIR FOR POINTING OUT!

இடம் : விவேகானந்தர் அரங்கம், பி.ஸ். ஹை ஸ்கூல், ராமக்ருஷ்ணா மடம் சாலை, மைலாப்பூர்.

நெரம் : மாலை 4.to 7P M.

நிகழ்ச்சி நிரல்

4.to 4-15 வரை :- தேனீர் உபசரிப்பு

இறை வணக்கம்
நினைவலைகள் - திரு. பாலசுப்ரமணியன்
மணி பழனி இசை அமுதம் : பழனி சுப்ரமணிய பிள்ளையின் பக்கவாத்யத்தில் மதுரை மணி அய்யரின் இசை தொகுப்பு
பாலக்காடு மணியும் மதுரை மணியும் - இசை தொகுப்பு B27Y VISHNU CONTACT CHITTIVENU 9841313527
மங்களம்.
0 x

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Inviting all

Madurai Mani Iyer Musical evening

47th REMEMBERANCE DAY

Concert ANCHORED BY VISHNU AND ANECDOTES BY MANY RASIKAS AND MADDYS OF IMMORTAL MMI MUSIC!

Date: 16TH AUGUST SUNDAY
HIGH TEA 4 TO 4-15P M

Time: 4: pm to 7 pm

Venue: “ Vivekananda Hall”,

The P.S. High School, R.K.Mutt Road,

Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004. CONTACT CHITTI VENU 98413 135272@esvee45@gmail.com &esvee45@yahoo.co.in

cacm

Post by cacm »

GOOD LUCK, HAPPY LISTENING AND ABOVE ALL MY ETERNAL THANKS FOR KEEPING MMI'S MUSIC & MEMORIES ALIVE....VKV

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

விழாச் சிறக்க என் மனமார்ந்த வாழ்த்துகள்!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Inviting all

Madurai Mani Iyer Musical evening

47th REMEMBERANCE DAY

Concert ANCHORED BY VISHNU AND ANECDOTES BY MANY RASIKAS AND MADDYS OF IMMORTAL MMI MUSIC!

Date: 16TH AUGUST SUNDAY
HIGH TEA 4 TO 4-15P M

Time: 4: pm to 7 pm

Venue: “ Vivekananda Hall”,

The P.S. High School, R.K.Mutt Road,

Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004. CONTACT CHITTI VENU 98413 135272@esvee45@gmail.com &esvee45@yahoo.co.in

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

விழா இனிதே நிறைவுற என்னுடைய வாழ்த்துக்கள்.
தஞ்சாவூரான்
14 08 2015

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Rasikas ,
The function at PS High School 0n 18th went on well . Vishnu spoke on Madurai Mani Iyer and Tamil Isai Origin and Development
About 3 hours of his Tamil Song were played to the delight of the rasikas. We hope to conduct our next meeting on Nov 1st with some more of his music
on his birth anniversary

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Thanks for giving a glimpse of the proceedings.
Listening to the recorded performance of stalwarts like MMI in the company of rasikas is a delight.

Hope to join in the session in November.

K.Nagarajan

venu sundar

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer 104th BIRTHDAY 1st NOV 2015 at PSHS MYLAPORE CHENNAI 4 to 7 PM

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer Musical Evening - Sruti, A Monthly ...
www.sruti.com/index.php?main_page=events&events_id=1184
Oct 1, 2015 - Madurai Mani Iyer Musical Evening. Madurai Mani Iyer ... Chitti Venu Vishnu. ALL ARE ... Contact: Mr.S.Venugopalan – Mobile : 98413 13527.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer Musical Evening

Inviting all

On the occasion of 104th Birthday

Date: 1.11.2015, Sunday

Time: 4:25 pm to 7:25 pm

“Vivekananda Hall”

The P. S. High School, R.K. Mutt Road,

Mylapore, Chennai - 600004

At

Sri K S Kalidas, Mridanga Vidwan Participates.

Welcome & Vote of Thanks Anchor

Chitti Venu Vishnu

ALL ARE WELCOME!PL CONTACT CHITTI VENU 9841313527
EMAIL esvee45@gmail.com &esvee45@yahoo.co.in

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Inviting all

On the occasion of 104th Birthday

Date: 1.11.2015, Sunday

Time: 4:25 pm to 7:25 pm

“Vivekananda Hall”

The P. S. High School, R.K. Mutt Road,

Mylapore, Chennai - 600004

At

Sri K S Kalidas, Mridanga Vidwan Participates.

Welcome & Vote of Thanks Anchor

Chitti Venu Vishnu :|

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Apropos SOUTH POLE article on "Not Only In Margazhi"by Aarvalan I wish to bring in our efforts in forming a group of Madurai Mani Iyer Listening Maddys and we gather at periodical times at PS High School Mylapore Chennai to listen to the Great Evergreen Master MMI and it is turning out to be hit of late.I am the Captian of the MMI Ship which consists of age group 7to 70 years of age.The last and recent event was held on the 10th April Sunday between 4-25 to 7-30 PM and more than 100+ rasikas attended the event and the theme on that day was Sri Ramamnavami.Our Anchor Sri Vishnu played the songs such as Rama Bhakthi Samrajyam,MAA JANAKI,.Balakanakamayi etc and the hall full rasikas never inched out of their seats even for a second!MMI died on 8th June 1968 but even then after 48 years his melody haunts the rasikas soulfully.We plan to have our next event on 19th June Sunday at tr he same venue at the same time!We also want to observe the days of greats like Ariyakudi Semmangudi ALthur Madurai Somu GNB MS MLV DKP also in future!We invite ALL the rasikas to come an be with us and join in our events!

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
__._,_.___
Posted by: Venugopalan S <esvee45@yahoo.co.in>
Reply via web post • Reply to sender • Reply to group • Start a new topic • Messages in this topic (1)
Visit Your Group

Ne

Apropos SOUTH POLE article on "Not Only In Margazhi"by Aarvalan I wish to bring in our efforts in forming a group of Madurai Mani Iyer Listening Maddys and we gather at periodical times at PS High School Mylapore Chennai to listen to the Great Evergreen Master MMI and it is turning out to be hit of late.I am the Captian of the MMI Ship which consists of age group 7to 70 years of age.The last and recent event was held on the 10th April Sunday between 4-25 to 7-30 PM and more than 100+ rasikas attended the event and the theme on that day was Sri Ramamnavami.Our Anchor Sri Vishnu played the songs such as Rama Bhakthi Samrajyam,MAA JANAKI,.Balakanakamayi etc and the hall full rasikas never inched out of their seats even for a second!MMI died on 8th June 1968 but even then after 48 years his melody haunts the rasikas soulfully.We plan to have our next event on 19th June Sunday at tr he same venue at the same time!We also want to observe the days of greats like Ariyakudi Semmangudi ALthur Madurai Somu GNB MS MLV DKP also in future!We invite ALL the rasikas to come an be with us and join in our events!

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
__._,_.___
Reply via web post • Reply to sender • Reply to group • Start a new topic • Messages in this topic (1)
Visit Your Group

New Members 1 New Photos 4

Yahoo! Groups
• Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

__,_._,___

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
__._,_.___
Visit Your Group

New Members 1 New Photos 4

Yahoo! Groups

__,_._,___
w Members 1 New Photos 4

Yahoo! Groups

__,_._,___

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sometimes you need an imitation to understand what may be the nuances inside. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtBx4uKIiO4

Because MMI is a deceptive method hider!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

We had a thread once where his Swara singing was examined in depth : http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... ra#p287398

The mA jAnaki recording IMHO represents nearly all the facets of Madurai Mani Iyer's swara genius -- underneath that ever flowing sarvalaghu he very effectively masked the technical capabilities to sing from any point and land anywhere with all kinds of both even and odd patterns, in ANY raga. In fact he virtually owned the art of even numbered pattern ending in swaras. He was even able to make sarvalaghu out of patterns and pauses that would have broken the flow of any lesser artiste and his accompanists had to be very capable to support his flow and ideas.

In his earlier days he had done extensive research into rare ragas and complex laya patterns (which sometimes put his music out of mass reach at the time -- yes it may sound unbelievable), after which he developed his own aesthetically pleasing approach that could be appreciated by both the layman and the expert.

I also can only wonder as to how he maintained absolute sruthi and swarasthana shuddham even on days when his health was down.

kapali

Post by kapali »

The Mediafire file of songs uploaded by Enna_Solven at post 598 in this thread seems to have expired and am not able to retrieve them. Can Balu MMI or Sri Venu help in retrieving these from the mediafire files and repost it ? Will be thankful for the same.

sankark

Post by sankark »

Inimitable MMI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqA_1ReB5ok how he makes dIkshitar kritis sound so breezy. Neither before nor after?

The marathon MA concert referred to in that link - any downloads available?

Is it just me or does he really sing discrete swaras for the m aa.. aa.. aa.. aa.. ye during the conclusion, at and after 4:27 after andtharangini?

gokulb93

Post by gokulb93 »

Madurai Mani Iyer's 105th birthday Celebrations to be held on 23rd October.
Venue: " Vivekanda Hall", P.S. High school, R.K. Mutt Road, Mylapore, Chennai.
Timings: 3.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.

Mridanga Chakravarthy, Sangeetha Kalanidhi, Dr. T.K. Murthy will be the chief guest of the event.
Accomplished Mridangam Artist Sri. Manoj Siva and Cleveland Sri. V.V. Sundaram will also be participating in the event.
Anchoring the event will be Sri. Lalitha Ram (writer) and V.Vishnu.

Excerpts from various concerts of the master will be played at the event.
Mridangam Vidwan Sri. K.S. Kalidas will also be attending the event.
High tea and snacks will be provided at 4.30 p.m.

All are Welcome!!

kapali

Post by kapali »

It will be nice if the media fire list of songs uploaded by EnnaSolven at post no.598 in this thread are retrieved and played during this function , as these pieces are live recordings of MMI concerts in 1958- 60 period and shows the tremendous rapport between the singer and all the accompaniments!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

gokulb93 wrote:Madurai Mani Iyer's 105th birthday Celebrations to be held on 23rd October.

Mridanga Chakravarthy, Sangeetha Kalanidhi, Dr. T.K. Murthy will be the chief guest of the event.

Gokulb93,
What can I say , joy, joy and simply joy.

V VishnuRamPrasad(our forumite) must be the best person to know anything about MMI , even rivaling those veteran MMI all time great rasikas who were there with MMI then like VK Vishwanathan, Balu sir from Egmore sait colony and Venugopal Sir (Chitti sundarrajan son).

Lalita ram (Parivadhini co founder Mahadevan Ramachandran and our forumite)who has written books on GNB, PSP talking about MMI.

I have had so many conversations with LalitaRam and VRP(2 great rasikas) . They will do a great job in presenting MMI in a true gAna KalA dhara fashion . Please record in a high quality video.

Here is a treasure where the living legend TK Murthy is accompanying supernovas MMI and LGJ starting with the evergreen swaras in ga pa ri ga pA ooh ahA ahA ....vAthApi and then prema Juchi nApai in ,,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS4x8RB2jPM

gokulb93

Post by gokulb93 »

rajeshnat wrote:
gokulb93 wrote:Madurai Mani Iyer's 105th birthday Celebrations to be held on 23rd October.

Gokulb93,
What can I say , joy, joy and simply joy.

V VishnuRamPrasad(our forumite) must be the best person to know anything about MMI , even rivaling those veteran MMI all time great rasikas who were there with MMI then like VK Vishwanathan, Balu sir from Egmore sait colony and Venugopal Sir (Chitti sundarrajan son).

Lalita ram (Parivadhini co founder Mahadevan Ramachandran and our forumite)who has written books on GNB, PSP talking about MMI.

I have had so many conversations with LalitaRam and VRP(2 great rasikas) . They will do a great job in presenting MMI in a true gAna KalA dhara fashion . Please record in a high quality video.

Here is a treasure where the living legend TK Murthy is accompanying supernovas MMI and LGJ starting with the evergreen swaras in ga pa ri ga pA ooh ahA ahA ....vAthApi and then prema Juchi nApai in ,,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS4x8RB2jPM
Rajesh sir,
I have had the good fortune of meeting and interacting with almost all the people you have mentioned very frequently for the past year. What you said is absolutely true. Vishnu sir is the person to go to in case one wishes to know about MMI. Balu sir gave me his whole mmi collections about a year ago, and since then I have never recovered from mmi fever and probably never will. I consider it a great honor to have interacted with vkv sir, balu sir, vishnu sir and venu sir.

gokulb93

Post by gokulb93 »

I was not able to post the invitation to the event previously due to some technical difficulties , So I'm posting it now.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

gokulb93 wrote: Vishnu sir is the person to go to in case one wishes to know about MMI. Balu sir gave me his whole mmi collections about a year ago, and since then I have never recovered from mmi fever and probably never will. I consider it a great honor to have interacted with vkv sir, balu sir, vishnu sir and venu sir.
Gokul of 2015 equals Rajesh of 2002 .

Check this post viewtopic.php?f=12&t=258&p=120916&hilit=balu#p120916 . Also read few posts of balummi from there on. Incidentally VKV Sir gave me the most collections after BaluMMI ,there is one spectacular recording of assortment that VKV Sir did with his commentary where he also polished the audio recording- hear that to start with, it is primer of MMI.

On a personal note I took roughly 2 years to hear all those concerts that VKV and BaluMMI shared ,whenever I heard I break that whole recording and catalog individual songs like a typical songlist say samAja vara gamanA(N S)-hindolam-T .I will give you when I am back in chennai.

gokulb93

Post by gokulb93 »

rajeshnat wrote:
gokulb93 wrote: Vishnu sir is the person to go to in case one wishes to know about MMI. Balu sir gave me his whole mmi collections about a year ago, and since then I have never recovered from mmi fever and probably never will. I consider it a great honor to have interacted with vkv sir, balu sir, vishnu sir and venu sir.
Gokul of 2015 equals Rajesh of 2002 .

Check this post viewtopic.php?f=12&t=258&p=120916&hilit=balu#p120916 . Also read few posts of balummi from there on. Incidentally VKV Sir gave me the most collections after BaluMMI ,there is one spectacular recording of assortment that VKV Sir did with his commentary where he also polished the audio recording- hear that to start with, it is primer of MMI.

On a personal note I took roughly 2 years to hear all those concerts that VKV and BaluMMI shared ,whenever I heard I break that whole recording and catalog individual songs like a typical songlist say samAja vara gamanA(N S)-hindolam-T .I will give you when I am back in chennai.
Sir, I would be very happy to receive your collections and kudos to you for your sorting work. I do have the recording of vkv sir that you speak of and have listened to it. I would like to mention here that it was great to read your contribution throughout this thread and I have learnt a lot about mmi fom that. It was invaluable for me considering that I was a rather late entrant into the mmi fan club.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

This is a share from Gokul Balasubramanian...

The website http://www.maduraimaniaiyer.org is now live!!

This website is a tribute to the great man, and an effort to spread his music. It includes a blog where anyone can post anything regarding Mani Iyer without logging in/ registering (They are optional). The aim is to assimilate as much information on Mani Iyer as possible and make it available to the general Public.
This Project is a collective effort and I can't do without acknowledging people for their contributions. Swetha Balasubramanian, Adityen Krishnan, Vivek Kannan, and Teja Naga are the developers. It was perfectly within their rights to refuse ( they did not know who Mani Iyer was before the project began), but they all pitched in for me. Sriram Kalyanasundaram is the sponsor. Guruji agreed to sponsor this site in spite of sailing on the same boat as my friends (Didn’t know who Mani Iyer was ). Vishnuramprasad Vasudevan sir for the content and Venkata Kailasam sir for allowing us to integrate this facebook page with my site...

http://www.maduraimaniaiyer.org/

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

What a joy what a joy sadAnanda tandavam . Kudos to every one especially Swetha Balasubramanian who has done the web development . She has used the right web skin to give the gAnakalAdhara touch.

Gokul/venugopal sir / venkatakailasam /Vishnu,
I am not sure if it is mentioned , please also mention balummi and vkv sir . Possibly any writeups from them can also be added .
Incidentally rasikas.org team anecdotes are also captured http://www.maduraimaniaiyer.org/anecdotes.html

Thank you sriram kalyanasundaram for helping with the site.

Pasupathy Sir,
I recolllect vaguely writeups that you had written . Also any writeups by vikatan ,kalki other tamil writers from 1940 to 1960 which you possess , please post it here

Gokul,
I am assuming you can additionally collate all of that . Is swetha part of our forum?

This is great integration of content of mmi every where collated to one great site .

gokulb93

Post by gokulb93 »

rajeshnat wrote:What a joy what a joy sadAnanda tandavam . Kudos to every one especially Swetha Balasubramanian who has done the web development . She has used the right web skin to give the gAnakalAdhara touch.

Gokul/venugopal sir / venkatakailasam /Vishnu,
I am not sure if it is mentioned , please also mention balummi and vkv sir . Possibly any writeups from them can also be added .
Incidentally rasikas.org team anecdotes are also captured http://www.maduraimaniaiyer.org/anecdotes.html

Thank you sriram kalyanasundaram for helping with the site.

Pasupathy Sir,
I recolllect vaguely writeups that you had written . Also any writeups by vikatan ,kalki other tamil writers from 1940 to 1960 which you possess , please post it here

Gokul,
I am assuming you can additionally collate all of that . Is swetha part of our forum?

This is great integration of content of mmi every where collated to one great site .

Thank you Sir, I had just shot an email to you asking your blessings and contributions for my site. Essay by vkv sir is included and so are the tamil articles on mmi at pasupathy sir's blog. Any Additional materials I will include happily. I would be honoured if you and other knowledgeable Rasikas here contribute on the blog http://www.blog.maduraimaniaiyer.orgas well. The skin was particularly chosen for its vintage effect :D. Swetha is not a member as of now, but the chances of her joining this forum are rather high in the near future.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Gokul(Content curator of http://www.maduraimaniaiyer.org),

Just called today the next two speakers of your next mmi meeting -Lalitharam and Vishnuramprasad. They are going to present- to say the least brilliantly on mmi . Vishnu tells me you (Gokul)are a youngster who just got recently mesmerized with Madurai Mani . What a way for you to celebrate than creating this website .

Having praised , just few cautions
----------------------------------------------
1. You continue collating and curating the content and drop to MMI website . I am not sure what is the point in you having a blog over and above the MMI web site . Please remember for many like me , the blog of each vidwan is in Rasikas.org in vidwans and vidushis . This post is only a blog . Why do we need another blog? IT is becoming too strenuous to look so many websites

2. Many years back vellore ramabadran mama gave a lecdem on MMI in an audio presentation in early 2002 . If you can also bring in audio presentations to start with in the web site , that would be great.

3. VRP and I spoke about TRS and MMI . IT seems TRS and MMI were great mutual admirers . I was not even aware till VRP told about TRS and MMI related anecdotes. I thought there was only minimal connection between trs and mmi . Attn Vishnu - you should write more about swara patterns that you covered with me on MMI and the way TRS mAmA supplemented and explained MMI greatness .

Ending this post in a short MMI - English Note Fashion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Say NO To Madurai Mani Iyer Blog
# Say YES TO MMI vidwans and vidushi thread in rasikas.org - which is always like a blog. :)
# Say YES to curated content into http://www.maduraimaniaiyer.org which Gokul can take it. This is the best thing that has happened in the last 1 month . Kudos to Gokul and team.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

4 days ago - The 105th birth anniversary celebrations of famous carnatic vocalist Madurai Mani Iyerwill be held on October 23 at P. S. Higher Secondary School, Mylapore, at 3.30p.m. For details, contact S.VENUGOPALAN cell no 98413 13 527... SANGITHA KALANIDHI MRIDANGA CHAKRAVARHTY Dr. T K MURTHY will be honoured on the occassion.CLEVELAND SUNDARAM KS KALIDAS AND LALITHARAM PARTICIPATE AND ALL ARE WELCOME TO THE GRAND OCCASSION TO REMEMBER GREAT MMI!

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 97
விருது, விளம்பரம், விமர்சனம் !
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2016/10/96_25.html

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

The following anecdote is worth many reads as it offers many insights into MMI's thoughts on music :

Madurai Mani Iyer and Subbudu

Trasnslation of Subbudu’s Article, Courtesy Ms. Arasi

Madurai Mani Iyer
by
Subbudu
It was an unforgettable meeting. I had the great privilege of meeting Madhura Gana Mani Iyer. It came about as the result of a review that I wrote of his Mumbai concert in ‘Kalki’. "As usual, Mani Iyer sang an Alapana in Shanmukapriya, swung back and forth with his 'U U-s' and ended the concert with the English note", I had written. I had summed it t all up in that one line.
This must have happened six or seven years ago. The very next year, Madurai Mani Iyer came to Delhi to perform. He said to his host that my review struck him as being out of the way. He also expressed his wish to meet me and to know what I meant to say by way of that one-liner. I was extremely keen on meeting him. Yet, I felt awkward to face and interview the eminent Vidwan who was obviously upset about my pronouncement. If things got out of hand, how was I going to cope with the situation? --me being younger and lacking in my experience in music? I explained this to Sri. Krishnamurthy (the host?) on the phone. On his assuring me that the discussion would be dignified and meaningful, I went to meet Mani Iyer at his place. As I entered, someone was reading The Hindu to Madurai Mani Iyer. He was keen on following the daily news. My arrival was announced by Vembu Iyer.
"Are you Subbudu sir?"
"Yes."
"How come you wrote in such detail about other musicians and made such a sweeping statement about me in a single line?"
"There is a lot I want to convey to you. You are a Maha Vidvan, sangIta sagaram (ocean of music). If you are patient, I will bare my heart to you."
"By all means!"
"To start with, why do you keep singing the same songs over and over again in your concerts?"
"Rasikas love those songs."
"I agree. Yet, if brilliant singers like you do not popularize at least two songs every year, won't the Trinity's songs be forgotten?"
"Do you want me to ignore the Rasikas?"
"Not really. Cater to them three quarters of the time. Can't you allot a quarter of the time to the Trinity?
"Do you know; it takes a year or two to popularize a single song?"
"I agree. But, isn't it your responsibility to develop Rasanai (taste) in your listeners? Out of the four hundred kritis of Tyagaraja, not even fifty are in vogue."
"Ah, that's what you are saying!"
"I am prepared to listen to you, whatever you have to say about it. To recognize and to propagate them--isn't that a service to music by Vidvans like you?"
"I have in my repertoire countless krutis. But look at the number of request chits that reach the stage even at the beginning of the concert!"
"Have you tried new song lists at any time and have tested it out?"
"The public doesn't give me a chance!"
"Delhi Rasikas are super Rasikas. You won't find Maharajapuram, GNB or Ariyakkudi fans as such here in Delhi. We are all just music fans. We are nostalgic about our homeland. We are thrilled to hear good CM from any source. We do not get many chances to hear music in this faraway place. Based on all this, why don't you try your experiment here? If I am wrong, I will take back my word and apologize to no end..."
"What, Vembu? This evening, we will sing all new uruppadis (items). These reviewers perhaps think that we don't know that many kritis!"

That evening, not a single 'rubber stamp' kriti was sung. Thyagaiyya, Dikshitar, Syama Sastry and Sivan danced in glee on that stage. ‘The Statesman’ the next morning did not contain a review but a dedication. On reading it, MMI sent a congratulatory letter to the editor and he in turn sent it to me.
I treasure it as a priceless possession of mine

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

105th birthday celebrations:
http://blog.maduraimaniaiyer.org/?p=74
(There is a youtube link to Dr TKM's speech)

RSR

Post by RSR »

srikant1987-> Koluvamara' in todi...youtube link is broken. I am trying to create a page for this great song rendered by 'greats' of the golden era. can you please give link to mp3 ?

RSR

Post by RSR »

Dr.Pasupathy-> I read Kalki on Madurai Mani concert in your 'sangeetha vishayangal' blog . Very nice. Can you enlighten me if MMI sang 'paamaalaikkinaiyundo' after NCV or before her record? similarly 'Maaye'. . Is it possible that NCV inspired MMI? or vice versa?

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Sorry, RSR. I don't have any info which will throw light on this. However I doubt if MMI would have been influenced by NCV's recordings.

cacm

Post by cacm »

RSR wrote:Dr.Pasupathy-> I read Kalki on Madurai Mani concert in your 'sangeetha vishayangal' blog . Very nice. Can you enlighten me if MMI sang 'paamaalaikkinaiyundo' after NCV or before her record? similarly 'Maaye'. . Is it possible that NCV inspired MMI? or vice versa?
MMI SANG BOTH WELL BEFORE NCV. MMI APPRECIATED ANY ONE WHO SANG WELL. WHILE HER VOICE WAS GREAT IN TERMS HER RENDERING IN TERMS OF CREATIVITY & ORIGINALITY WAS NO COMPARISON TO MMI'S RENDERINGS. ACTUALLY THERE WERE FREQUENT REQUESTS FOR MMI TO RENDER THEM & THEY WERE TRULY A RAGE WHICH WAS TYPICAL OF ANY COMOPSITION MMI RENDERED....VKV P.S.: I HAVE PERSONALLY HEARD RENDER THESE TWO SONGS RENDERED BY NCV & MMI. VKV

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Dr. T.K. Murthy's speech on Mani Iyer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC_bDT9y9iQ

RSR

Post by RSR »

Dr.Pasupathy-> Thank you. I posed that query , because to the best of my knowledge, it was NCV who gave the record on .Maaye'. I am not aware of any record by Madurai Mani Iyer of the same . It is quite possible that Mani Iyer would have rendered the song in many concerts before NCV gave the record. The same is likely about 'paamaalaikkinaiyundo' . . Mani Iyer appreciated any one ( even from film world ) who had good voice and good musical ability. Recently, I read that he was an admirer of MKT songs too. . He is said to have demurred about singing 'Eppo Varuvaro' after the hugely popular 'Sathvagunabothan' by MKT. I am just quoting from a blog. Mani Iyer had a lead of more than 10 years over that of NCV. and sang for a decade after NCV passed away.( that is 30 years! compared to mere 10 yers of NCV) and somehow, though she sang quite a few thamizh songs including the matchless ' Pillaip piraayatthile ' and 'pozhuthu pularnthathu' of Mahakavi, and also of Suddhananndha barathi, she does not seem to have had the support of Kalki, Great singers do not mind adopting other singers' songs. DK Pattammal adopted KLSaigal's tune for Kalki's 'poonkuyil koovidum ' . and also MS songs like Enakkunnirupatham after nearly 12 years ( 1935->1947). .. 'Comparisons are odious'. and there are any number of rasikas of yester-years who are unanimous that if NCV had been blessed with a longer life span and better health and perhaps greater support from influential critics like Kalki, , she might 'have outsoared the loftiest star of unascended heaven ,pinnacled dim in the intense inane' ( Shelley). . Just to clear any misconception, though I am not a fan of many of the 'hits' of MMI , I do hold his Kapi kruthi ' intha sowkyamu' an unparalleled masterpiece. My exposure is limited to radio concerts and commercial records. and it may not be absolute assessment when many even in the golden generation had not listened to the best of even MS as recorded music in 78 rpm. We cannot expect all to be fortunate to have attended concerts in sabas. and 'laslsagar'. ( Tapan Sinha') I am writing especially for you.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I ONLY RESPONDED BECAUSE MMI'S RENDERING OF MAYAE & PAAMAILIKKINAI UNDOE WERE MOST POPULAR RAGES & HE WAS REQUESTED TO SING THESE TWO ON A REGULAR BASIS OF HIS CONCERTS AT THAT TIME. I AGREE THAT NCV WAS EXCELLENT ON HER OWN. PL EXCUSE USE OF CAPITALS AS I HAVE DIFFICULTY READING SMALL PRINT. VKV ... I WROTE IT FOR THE SAKE OF HISTORICAL ACCURACY!

arasi

Post by arasi »

VKV,
Most members know that your posts, especially about MMI are priceless. Who cares about the fonts? A minor matter. Most younger members know of your life-long association with MMI's music and appreciate your posts. A fan is a fan is a fan--you are a super fan of his and a dedicated organizer from the start, in the history of CM in North America.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

RSR: The topic of records, who sang what first, some songs sung by many artists , "product differentiation" .... etc is a very complex one. Let me quote one example . DKP and DKJ both had learnt "kapAli" of Sivan ( in fact might have given even a record in early days...I forgot what DKJ told me.) But since MMI made it his own , DKP and DKJ did not sing it in concerts out of respect to MMI. After MMI passed away in 68, they started singing kapAli ( in their own wonderful style) . In fact, when DKJ sang a cittaswaram in kapali at Toronto( not found in Sivan's book and not sung by MMI ), I asked DKJ about it and he told me that Sivan had taught them that and the other info I have given above.

You mentioned 'intha saukyamu" of MMI. MS had given a record of this 36-37 itself.See the ad at:
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2016/09/91.html

>> DK Pattammal adopted KLSaigal's tune for Kalki's 'poonkuyil koovidum ' >>

Actually, Kalki composed the song based on Saigal's tune..... so the tune was already there in the song ! and DKP knew this and sang that tune, of course. ( During Kalki's centenary, I think the original songs were also sung in a Kalakshetra function.)

About "enakkuniru padam", I don't know who was the music composer who made it into a Ragamalika.

varsha

Post by varsha »

I am not aware of any record by Madurai Mani Iyer of the same .
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ai4m5ce4c ... ni-Adi.mp3

RSR

Post by RSR »

varsha wrote:
I am not aware of any record by Madurai Mani Iyer of the same .
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ai4m5ce4c ... ni-Adi.mp3
------------------------
varsh ji-> Thank you. I had indeed allowed for the possibility that Mani Iyer might have sung in concerts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqA_1Re ... e=youtu.be
( an upload by Shankar Rajasekaran). He is doing great work.
We can find if it is vintage 78 rpm by the duration.(it should be less than 3 minutes for one side)
The link that you have provided is less than 3 minutes. With your kind permission I will place it in my facebook page as I have already done for the above tube video.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4120416379
Thank you once again.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Dr.Pasupathy-> First, let me thank you for all the advertisements of MS records as early as 1936. She was barely 19 then and her fame did not yet depend on her silver screen presence. Sadly, it only makes me yearn and regret that such gems are not to be heard unless some collectors graciously upload them. Gramaphone companies could have made our year-wise search and study easier by printing the month and year of release of the record. With your permission, I will type the information about MS songs in the advts and place it in website and facebook. This may prompt some collectors to release the treasures to the public.( not the images which are yours by right). I will surely mention the source.
2) Some kruthis of the Trinity are so special that all artistes love to render them. . The inspiration then is the kruthi and not who rendered it first either in concert or in 'plates'. 'Intha sowkyamu' is one such... Many leading artistes of those years had indeed sung 'maamava pattabirama' but is seems that the song is so etched in memory with the name of DKP that for once , a rarity, MS is accompanying DKP. ( Raju Asokan has uploaded it but I am unable to access it. varsh ji can perhaps helpme. . 'mukari kruthi 'elavatharamu' is another , given as plate very early by MS and later NCV has also assayed it.
Reverting back to Madurai Mani Iyer, one of his most moving songs was 'kanthan karuNai puriyum vadivEl'in beemplaas. it was based on the song originally rendered in Ramarajyam film by Saraswathi Rane and was a rage in the early forties. all over tamilnad. 'Carnatic summer' mentions that Mani Iyer was so much moved by the song that he asked one of his friends to compose a song in thamizh. and thus was born the song. It has an absolutely enthralling lyrics as well. For rasikas, I have placed two of MMI songs as well as Saraswathi Rane and other related songs and information. Much more has to be added soon.
https://sites.google.com/site/hindustha ... /beemplaas
many links may not work ( have to be set right)
Artistes may render the same kruthi not to outperform others but due to urge for paying tribute to the kruthi, and ragam . It does not necessarily mean any disrespect to the earlier renderings by others. , though, it is indeed advisable not to touch any earlier rendering that has already gained reputation. Male voice and female voice renderings may be allowed however.

RSR

Post by RSR »

gokulb93-> Dear Sir, i have visited the website. Neat layout. Just a suggestion. The slide show of Mani Iyer photos is distracting. a) The duration of each slide should be much more b) or a separate page titled gallery can be given where a table can show a number of photos with legend and date. c) the list of songs must be made more exhaustive. d) links to youtube should be avoided. I would suggest that the tube version is converted into some other format with due acknowledgement to the uploader and placed in the site. ...More importance should be given to his rendering of the Trinity's kruthis.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

pUnkuyil kUvum is patterned after the Saigal song bAlam AyE basO morE manmE. The audio link is here:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bal ... &FORM=VIRE

Also the song in Ramrajya-bIna madhur madhur in bhImpalAs is sung by Amirbai Karnataki. The one that Madurai Mani sings in the same tune is composed by Vali (T.S.Rangarajan).