Mysore T Chowdiah

Carnatic Musicians
srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

PRESIDENT ABDUL KALAM'S ADDRESS AT THE INAUGURATION OF THE SILVER JUBILEE OF CHOWDIAH MEMORIAL HALL, BANGALORE

21-11-2005 : Bangalore

Art & Music enhance national aspirations and actions

I am delighted to participate in the inauguration of the Silver Jubilee Celebrations of Chowdaiah Memorial Hall today. My greetings to the organizers, music lovers, artists and distinguished guests. I appreciate the devotion and dedication of the people who had created this memorial hall and sustained its over the years. It has become a landmark in Bangalore.

On the 19th of November, 2005 I gave the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for 2004 to HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Her major and unique contribution is her approach to development of Thailand. She has been responsible for cultural preservation through revival of dying handicraft skills, shadow plays and classical works of music recorded for posterity. By singing and performing in public with Thais of all walks of life she has helped spur an unprecedented revival of traditional music. As a result this traditional heritage is available and approachable to every common man and woman of Thailand. More so, she used the propagation of classical works of music of Thailand as a major instrument to bring in peace in the minds of the people, using the peaceful minds to contribute to productivity and hence propel the national development.

Friends, some time ago a Professor visiting from a American University met me at Rashtrapati Bhavan. The Professor asked me: “Mr. President what is the core competence of India?â€

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

srkris- The article in English is nice.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, srikris. An inspiring speech. India has a great president (his term is coming to an end soon. Who else would have the vision and merits of this one of a kind man?) We have a poem dedicated to him (in sanskrit) on our forum!
As he has said in his speech, I do hope more and more senior vidwans would let young artistes accompany them, if they find talent and the capability in them...

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

arasi wrote:India has a great president . We have a poem dedicated to him (in sanskrit) on our forum!
arasi- Can you please provide the reference to this sanskrit poem dedicated to Dr Kalam. Thanks.

arasi

Post by arasi »

manjunath,
It is in the Technical Discussions section.
Sangeet Rasik has written it: Page 6 post #128. You would also find one on the mahAtmA in post #141 by CML, and more on the pillars of the forum after that...

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Chowdiah's Vani film poster

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

srkris- Just last week I had been been to T(irumakudlu) Narasipur.....the birth place of T Chowdiah. Three Rivers meet here.........a very old Agasthiswara Temple is on the banks of Sangama.........also there is a very old Narasimha Temple....
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 19 Oct 2007, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

srkis.. thansk for the poster.. that was wonderful.........

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

The thanks should go to a young guy called Gnanaprakash. Most of the rare photos I upload are from him, though he doesnt participate here.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

i also now realise how imporant a 'monument' chamundehwari talkies is in mysore.... sad to see it being reserved for pondy movies nowadays.....it may even be pulled down someday to ake way for a new gaudy glass structure

raviriyer2

Post by raviriyer2 »

I was listening to the brilliant interplay between MMI and Chowdiah in an exposition of Chakkani (Kharaharapriya) in the following concert..
http://sangeethamshare.org/ksj/Madurai- ... /MMI--016/

and I noticed that the svaraprasthara portion is missing...i wonder whether anyone has the whole recording...and if so, could you please upload

also...any idea who the mridangist is?? the interplay between him and chowdiah is particularly hypnotic..

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

I have also posted the same under 'new members':

Dear Carnatic Music Rasikas,

While I've really enjoyed these pages for a while (kudos to its creators)...this is the first time that I have registered in order to do a posting.

I invite this entire community of Carnatic music lovers to a first time story of the legendary Chowdiah and the inspired reasons on how his memorial came about in Bangalore. Rather, the story is more centered in Mysore. Please visit, whenever you can

http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

There is a whole lot of pictures and original music coming soon there, in association with all the Vidwans and some inspiring speeches in Kannada, Tamil and one right now one by Chowdiah himself! (This is all being done as a hobby and to furnish some historical facts related to our classical music heritage).

With best wishes to the members of this forum (who are all so lively)

-cpblog
Princeton, New Jersey

kapali

Post by kapali »

When we discuss about Chowdiah, i cannot but remember vividly an interesting incident when he was accompanying MMI at a concert at Ramaseva Mandali , Bangalore in 1957 Ramanavami festival. MMI had finished the Dwijavanti krithi of Dikshitar -- Chetasri
without singing the swarams for the same. But such was Chowdiah`s rapport with MMI AND the liberty he enjoyed when accompanying him that just as MMI was about to take up the next krithi , Chowdiah on his own initiated the swarams for Chetasri ---MMI too responded with a gentle smile and what followed was an enthralling ten minutes of Dwijavanti swarams from the two great masters!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Kapali,
Yes, he had a commanding presence on the stage--notjust because he was bigger and taller than many vocalists. His vidvat and the sound of those extra strings on his violin added to all this. I do not remember many vidvAns who wore silk kurtas (shirts) then. He did, and used fragrances too. His voice too matched all this. I do remember traveling with him on a train when we lived in Gunturu and my uncle who had come to give a concert in kakinada took me with him to listen to the concert. Chowdiah accompanied him often.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Chowdiah - What is the origin of this name? Is this name very popular in Karnataka?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

VK RAMAN wrote:Chowdiah - What is the origin of this name? Is this name very popular in Karnataka?
choudi/chowdi is a vernacular name for mother goddess, probably a corruption of cAmuNDI, from chowDi, chowDaiah, a la kALidAsa from kALi...

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

VK RAMAN wrote:Chowdiah - What is the origin of this name? Is this name very popular in Karnataka?
Here's another line of interpretation. The name actually is a designation meaning the "Iyya" (gentleman/ Telegu synonymous 'garu/ Tamil synonymous 'Iyer') who migrated from the land of 'Chowda' (Chola) (Sir Monier Williams Sanskrit dictionary). The counterpart to the ladies in Kannada was the name "Chowda" "E(I)shwari".

Linguistics, etymology and history make for such tantalizing subjects.

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

srkris wrote:Chowdiah's Vani film poster
The movie was produced under the banner of HRGC films (Hiriyanniah, the great stage actor, G.R. Ramiah, owner of Navajyoti studios, Mysore, Gopal of the Vishnu studios and Chowdiah). It was produced at the Pakshiraja Studios, Coimbatore. Chowdiah, Hiriyanniah, Pandari Bai and Musiri Krishnamurthy played the lead roles. Chowdiah enacted a double role playing father and son.

Chembai had desired to offer a golden ornament to his Ishtadaiva Lord Krishna at the Guruvayoor temple. Chowdiah decided to help him by including a scene of a classical vocal music concert in the film: Chowdiah, Chembai and Mani the famous trio of those days enacted it. He included the popular song ‘Nikhila Papanavarini’ in Shanmukhapriya, which Chembai sang with verve. It had great popular appeal. The film had a fairly successful run. Chowdiah gave a substantial amount to Chembai.

[reproduced from the book ‘Sangeetharatna Mysore T. Chowdaiah’ by K. Srikantiah, Prasaranga, University of Mysore, 2007]

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

cplog, where can I but the book that you have quoted in your post?

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Gamakam, Please see 'Welcome'/'acknowledgement section at http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/.

Also, if you can provide a mailing address to cpblog2009@gmail.com I can arrange to have a copy mailed to you.

Sreeni Rajarao

Re: Mysore T Chowdiah

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

http://www.raaga.com/channels/kannada/m ... d=K0001163

This is a must listen - Chembai's voice and Chowdiah's violin from the movie Vaani (1943).

The second song is attributed to Lata Mangeshakr - I do not believe that is correct.

I wish they had spelled the movie name correctly - it is spelled vanni.

Sreeni Rajarao

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

If you have a facebook account, the Chowdiah video with Chembai and PMI is available at http://www.facebook.com/Trivandrum.V.Ba ... 593&ref=mf

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Rajesh,
Thanks for the link to the write up in The Hindu.

Two corrections:
It should be tiruma kUDalu and not Thirimaguda as printed in that link.

biDAram kRShNappa's time frame was 1866 - 1931 (not 1869 - 1931).

cpblog

A sketch on Mysore T choudiah 's Life History-Courtesy Podhi

Post by cpblog »

Dear Rasikas,

I am not sure how this slipped by us on You tube (Dated: Feb 27 2010 (?)) but just observed this today and hence thought of sharing it with others who may have missed out on this (is it Sri. Coolji once again weaving his magic wand at us?). In any case we remain grateful for the posting on You tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qyjRBz2 ... re=related

arasi

Post by arasi »

cpblog,
Such a good clip from a documentary! Even a short part of it says so much about the one of a kind violin vidwAn. The credit at the end gives the names of several other participants in this film. Wish we had heard them too!
The clip was put on youtube by venkatakailasam, a member of our forum.

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

cpblog
Coolji has retired from uploading activities :clap: :P 8)

cpblog

Mysore T Chowdiah's last Moments

Post by cpblog »

arasi wrote:cpblog,
Such a good clip from a documentary! Even a short part of it says so much about the one of a kind violin vidwAn. The credit at the end gives the names of several other participants in this film. Wish we had heard them too!
The clip was put on youtube by venkatakailasam, a member of our forum.
With reference to the lovely clip at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qyjRBz2 ... re=related, posted by Venkatakailasam, here are the complete words from the interview of Sri. K Srikantiah which was found aborted but which is being reproduced from the book 'Sangeetharatna Mysore T. Chowdaiah by K. Srikantiah– Prasaranga, University of Mysore

Chowdiah’s last moments
(Jan 19-20 1967)

“Sublimation to Eternal melody”

Though Chowdiah had lost something of his physical sheen during the evening of his life, his zest for music and desire to help people remained evergreen. It is unique for an artist that when death was knocking at the doors he had accepted six future concert appointments! While he was undergoing medical treatment at the Krishnarajendra Hospital, Mysore, he remembered of an appointment with Chembai next evening at Bangalore. I was at Chowdiah’s bedside . He beckoned me to persuade the doctor to allow him just for a day to fulfill the promise. Dr. Rangappa who was in charge of him, though impressed by his earnestness, wouldn’t take that risk. Within hours there lay in state the mortal remains of the poet of the seven stringed violin.

Such a man never dies. He lives with us as long as Carnatic music is part of our existence. The values he had upheld and enshrined, the style he had developed and immortalized, and the life he had lived and en-nobled have left an indelible imprint on the cultural fabric of the nation. Truly he may sing in the chorus of the occidental violin giant Yehudi Menuhin (1916-1999) “Thus my school is blessed by the influence of many minds and energies. While I am happy to know it is mine, in that I have longed and worked for its existence, I am just as happy to know that it is not mine at all but self-propelled, with a buoyancy and character which don’t depend on my presence”.

As per Chowdiah’s last desire (as expressed to me), the annual Sri Ramanavami Musical festival was started in 1970 in the spacious expanse of “Parvathi” and inaugurated by the then Governor Sri Dharma Vira. It was was named as Chowdiah Memorial Rama Seva Samiti. "

http://www.archive.org/details/1970MlVa ... ngChowdiah

http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com ... -year.html

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Dear Rasikas,

Our invitation to a salute to T. Chowdiah's memory and to the Academy of Music, Bengaluru
from the house of "Parvathi, Mysuru.
Please join us at
http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I am personally not a big fan of naadam of 7 strings but i always like the alacrity of shri chowdiah's accompaniment . Nice center page write up of chowdiah in The Hindu dated July 16th,2020.
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 104645.ece

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tw8r5x ... 2m&index=6

Starts at around 8 mins- Kannada narration

A narration of the film history behind Vaani in which Chowdaiah had played dual role (aka double acting). It was made by K Hirannaiah, a great drama actor and producer of yesteryears and father of 'Master Hirannaiah'