K.V.Narayanaswamy

Carnatic Musicians
Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Palakkad K.V.Narayana swamy needs no introduction, he will remain as one of the greatest carnatic vocalists of all time.
Music lovers should be aware that he had learnt under Mani Iyer,C.S.Krishan Iyer before joining Ariyakudi(there are very interesting stories,some narrated by KVN himself,gurukula vasam,once he left his gurus place without telling him,to return some days later!)
He was widely popular wherever he performed,all over Tamil nadu,Kerala,Karnataka,Mumbai and several foreign countries.
He wasn?t blessed with a perfect voice,he was hardly audible in antar sthayi,so songs like bhairavi swarajati(though its tempo suited him!!)did not suite him.But the distinct feature of his style was that sruti sudham.Voice was well modulated and he maintained that sruti sudham till the last concert,though he was struggling physically.He used to struck mel sthayi notes with ease.The way he floats from notes to notes,one cant think of a similar singer.The way he conserved that energy for such a long time is unique.
Talking about sruthi,he was a master to tune tambura(now the electronic version available,nobody keeps the traditional one) like a Hindustani singers.When KVN tuned the tambura,one can hear those anu swaras clearly.
There are several such fine aspects in his music which any upcoming singer can follow.
Though he was the disciple of Ariyakudi,and he followed that kacheri pattern,his style was unique and certain singers like Musiri influenced him.
No wonder he was extremely popular at Travancore family,nobody sings Swathi compositions like him,especially the padams like aliveni,jalaja bandhu,panimathi mukhi.
His diction was good.Teamed with Lalgudi/MSG Mani Iyer/Raghu,he has performed several times at mandapam and anybody has those recordings(though the same compositions are repeatedly sung, it doesn?t matter)please post it here.
The way he used to portray the raga,so methodical,kalyani,thodi,sankarabharanam were all his favorites.niraval,enough kanakku in swara singing without any gimmicks.
That ragamalika pallavi,sankarabharananai anaithodi vaa kalyani darbarukku,the way he shifts from sankarabharanam to to thodi,then to kalyani,something a vidwan can do.
I wasfortunate to attend many of his concerts in 1980s,both in Kerala and almost all sabhas in Chennai.Missing him a lot?
Of course,plenty of his cds are vailable,but rasikas please post recordings that do not have copyrights and explore and analyse his music.Even the lec dems are useful.
Regarding this 76 mandapam concert,the recording quality is poor and it appears to be faster than the original.But it is always better to have such live recordings than the studio ones,which may be technically superior.
http://rapidshare.de/files/11690293/kvn_suma.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/11691625/kvn ... m.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/11693381/kvn_thodi.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/11696531/kvn ... p.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files11696928//kvn_suruti.mp3.html

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Radhakrishnan,

The surutti file seems to be missing from rapidshare...

Cheers
Ninja

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

thanks,let me check

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

the new suruti track is also not downloadable.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Shall rectify suruti file later,in the mean time posting a more heavy file,his famous ragamalika pallvi.One can identify the vidwat in him.Sambradaya sudham,swaying from one note to another with enough gamakams,shifting to other ragas effortlessly?true classic
http://rapidshare.de/files/11763002/kvn_rtp.mp3.html

pinkchry

Post by pinkchry »

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Is it possible to get kvn?s 68 and 93 mandapam concerts? It is no longer there either at swathi thread or x drive.meenaji,coolkarni ji please restore them if possible.Thank you.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Sudha saveri rtp.Recording quality is poor.Year unknown
http://rapidshare.de/files/12223357/mandapam.mp3.html

new_cmfan

Post by new_cmfan »

Radhakrishnan - i have a 1993 aradhana festival concert - is that the one you are referring to? If you know the first few songs of both concerts, i can check to see if i have downloaded it. Otherwise - i will join you in the request.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

KVN's concerts are always welcome!be it 93 or 63,but I requested 68 and 93 navarathri mandapam concerts,since they were posted at this site,but now missing.Thank you

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

new_cmfan

Post by new_cmfan »

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Just to thank both new_cmfan and meena for posting those precious concerts.

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Hello, I am a new to this forum. I got to hear of this from rasikapriya members. I am looking for Varagur Venkateswara Suprabhatam by KVN. If anybody can post it I would appreciate. Thank you!

padren68

Post by padren68 »

sumram99
Go to narada.org U can fond the varagur suprabatham there sung by KVN accompanied by Ravikiran

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

dear padren68

i guess its been removed from narada.org its no longer there. if u know of any other source, please do let me know.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here is the link for the varaghur suprabhatam.
http://rapidshare.de/files/13561694/var ... m.mp3.html

virig

Post by virig »

Hi,

Can somebody enable or repost the KVN's 1968 concert?

http://rapidshare.de/files/12256575/NAV ... 8.MP3.html

Thanks

Giridhar

vrbadri

Post by vrbadri »

Virig,
Following is the link for KVN's 1968 concert.

http://rapidshare.de/files/13601732/NAV ... 8.MP3.html

vrbadri

virig

Post by virig »

vrbadri,

Thanks a lot.

Giridhar

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Hello Lakshmanji,

Thank you so much for the link for the Suprabhatam! You made our day!

sairamaswami

Post by sairamaswami »

Dear members

I am a recent addition to this august gathering of rasikas on the internet. What appeals most to me in this forum is the spirit of camaraderie, exhbited by all rasikas.

I have to confess here that I am only an addicted listener, not versed in any of its technical aspects.

I stumbled across a couple of Shri KVN's kutcheries (early 1970 KVN,MC,Raghu) and 1971 (KVN,TSV, UKS Ghatkopar Bombay) and a LEC DEM (IFAS 30DEC1989) @ www.narada.org a couple of years back.

I have d/l them and ever since I have become a devotee of his music. His rendering of Shri Subramanyaya Namasthey in one of his concert is simply soul stirring

Please let me me know if I am permitted to u/l these on this forum. It will be my small contribution to this august gathering

Searching fruther led me to www.sangeethapriya.org, I have d/l some concerts from there.

But my appetite for Shri. KVN's vaani is proportionally increasing with its consumption.

After joining this group, I came across a few rapid share links in this forum bearing Shri. KVN's concerts and rendering, which have expired. Is there any possibility that the uploaders/owners of the files may consolidate their contributions and renew them again for the benefit of late comers like me.

I will be much obliged to this group. Waiting in anticipation ,,

With brgds
Sai

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

It appears Ghatkopar concert is no longer available at narada.org,kindly upload that concert.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Sai,

Welcome. Before uploading, please look at Point 4 of the guidelines that appear on every page that you browse. We would indeed be interested in good concerts.

Kaumaaram

meena

Post by meena »

kaumaaram wrote

We would indeed be interested in good concerts.
Umeee! so then is/are there "bad concerts" too???

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

You know the answer anyway.

Kaumaaram

sai

Post by sai »

Attention Rasikas

I have uploaded two concerts and these are the links to the uploaded files ...
http://rapidshare.de/files/14273569/KVN ... 0s.rm.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/14275731/KVN ... 71.rm.html

Brgds
Sai

sai

Post by sai »

Attention Rasikas

Resending the link to the first concert

http://rapidshare.de/files/14273569/KVN ... 0s.rm.html

Brgds
Sai

mantra

Post by mantra »

Can someone post the KVN concerts as a mp3. I am unable to play .rm files
Thanks
Shyam

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

Can anyone provide the text for the Suprabhatam?

I would have posted this in the request for sahitya section, but the recent discussions seem to make it more appropriate here...

Thanks,

Ashwin

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

The "Real Media (.rm) conversion to MP3" posts have been cut out from this thread and are available as a new thread under "General" category. Please stick to KVN here, and start a new thread for other issues. Thanks.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Both of these KVN concerts are just absolutely lovely.. My minimal requirements for a good concert are swara suddham, decent voice and raga bhava. These two concerts exceed these minimal requirements by a a couple of orders of magnitude: Great raga and song selections, incredible presentation and imagination in singing with a voice that was in super shape. Wow!! And to top it off a song in Huseni, my soft spot, in between elaborate treatments of Kalyani and Kambhoji. Wow, wow..A feeling of sowkyam of the highest order throughout both concerts with incredible support from violin and mridangam. The recording quality is excellent as well. I am a KVN fan and expect great things from him and still I am blown over...and I am only half way through the concerts...

Thanks very much Sai...

vasanthakokilam

I thought I will ask this when it is fresh in my mind, having just listened to it. In the Ghatkopar KVN concernt that Sai uploaded, what thala is the RTP in? Based on some primitive thala counting knowledge I have and putting to good use the thala link in the 'CM for dummies' thread, I am deducing it as 'Tisra Jaathi Triputa thalam'. Can someone confirm/correct me on this? Thanks.

abadri

Post by abadri »

I thought I will ask this when it is fresh in my mind, having just listened to it. In the Ghatkopar KVN concernt that Sai uploaded, what thala is the RTP in? Based on some primitive thala counting knowledge I have and putting to good use the thala link in the 'CM for dummies' thread, I am deducing it as 'Tisra Jaathi Triputa thalam'. Can someone confirm/correct me on this? Thanks.
VK, I'm a true dummy when it comes to Talam.
However, can confirm your guess as per the listings on narada.org
when this concert was uploaded there. It's "Tisra Triputa" as per
this listing.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

That saveri RTP is indeed in tisra jaathi triputa.
Yes, hallmark of his music is the swara sudham.He has commanding grip over laya also.
For the attention of KVN fans;there is a gentleman in Chennai (hope he is still there)who has an amazing collection of KVN concerts.I have met him once,got two concerts copied.Actually I was greedy to get all the concerts,but he does not do it commercially, in fact it hurts him if you offer him money and he is a retired person with a humble set up,so I had to content with two concerts.Later I wrote a letter offering conversion of all his audio tapes to CD free of cost,for the service he provides for the music lovers,but he didn?t reply.If anybody in Chennai willing to meet him ,please contact me at charu_keshi2005@yahoo.co.in ,shall give his details.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Badri and Radhakrishnan. Thanks for the validation. This is my first successful non-Adi thala identification in an RTP. Yippee!! ;)

sai

Post by sai »

Greetings Vasanthakokilam / All

I am glad to have made a small contribution..

To be very honest, I have absolutely no knowledge of CM appreciation. I revel in listening to KVN.

If the retired Chennai gentleman, whom Shri RKrishnan mentioned, graciously agrees to release his collection it will be a coup of sorts for all fans.

Rgds
Sai

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

These r beautiful concerts indeed!!! :D Thank u for this "amrtam." While on the topic of Sri KVN, I read somewhere it was he who helped to set music and perform the compositions of the late Dr VV Svarna Venkatesha Deekshitar. Appreciate if someone could u/l some of these songs.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

kmrasika
list please !!
Sai
Even if you dont find the other OLD gentleman for chennai , here is another YOUNG gentleman form chennai who can help..

sai

Post by sai »

Kmrasika

Namasthey

I d/l the Shri KVN's cleveland concert from sangeethapriya.org. there are two krithis Shri Venkatesha Dikshitar, of Chidambaram
a. Shiva thraya maha ganapthim
b. Om namah shivaya

Coolkarni

Namastey

Witnessing the amount of wealth you have shared with all of us, it is a privilege to talk to you. I would definitely be much obliged if you would share some of your vintage collections.

Quite a few rapid share links are now no longer active. Renewing them for a start would be simply fantastic for late/new comers.

I did see a message thread wherein we were exploring the idea to setup a repository of some kind with the wealth being contributed by all. I am not sure if we were able to sign off on that project ..

rgds
Sai

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

KVN sings

swarNa kAla bhairavam - kalyANi
kanDavarkku kanavilum - kuntalavarALi
manam irangAdA iraivA - mAyAmALavagauLa

of Swarna Venkatesa Dikshitar. Music India Online may have recordings of these. I also believe there is a commercial Tape/CD of some of Sri. KVN singing some of Swarna Venkatesa Dikshitar kritis.

Hope this helps
Arun

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I had some problems getting onthe board from the main page these past few days and hope this post works. Here's what I dug out of my notes I took from the book from an acquaintances' home sometime ago.
These are some of his compositions:

1. ShivatrayamahAgaNapatim - nATTai
2. manamirangAdA? iRaivA! - mAyAmALavagauLa
3. svarNakAlabhairavaM - kalyANi
4. ellOrum sugamAna vAzhvu - madhyamAvati
5. pApam agala - nATTaikuranji

these are his navagraha krithis:

1. bhAskarAya tE - bhauli - rUpakam
2. vandEham tvaM indO - dhanyAsi - khaNDa rUpakam
3. angAraka pAhimAm - shaNmukhapriyA - khaNDa tripuTa
4. vandeham candra - bEgaDA - miShra jhampe
5. paripUrNa kaTAksham - rItigauLai - miShracApu
6. vande kavim - ranjani - Adi
7. Shamkuru ShrI - sahAnA - khaNDacApu
8. rAhudEva pAhimAm - sAveri - rUpakam
9. kEtum bhajamyaham -nATTakuranji - rUpakam

besides these, he has also composed a set of nine krithis on Shri Adi shankara bhagavatpAda under the heading, "Shankara navarAga tALa kIrtanAvaLi." I jotted only these as part of this set:
1. raksha raksha rAjIvAksha - pantuvarALi - mishracApu
2. jayajaya jagadgurO - vAcaspati - Adi
3. lOkAsukham - maNirangu

I understand the ShrI svarNa vaishNavi Trust(???) serves to propogate ShrI dIkshitar's compositions by organizing concerts comprising his compositions. Love 2 any audios from these.

coolkarni:
Words cannot describe your Great Service in providing this great music to yearning rasikas on this bboard. Hope this continues by which we could at least relish a little of the amrtam from the churning of the ocean.

abadri

Post by abadri »

kmrasika, here are a few tracks

[rapidshare links deleted]

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

If anyone is interested in the lyrics of Swarna Venkatesha Dishitar's compositions please ask.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I do Lakshman
To start with those above for which badri has posted the audio! Thanks.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

shivatraya mahA. rAgA: nATa. Adi tALA.

P: shivatraya mahA gaNapatim(shrI) cintayEham sadA mudA namAmi shrI
(madhyamakAlam)
cintitArtha sarva lAbhAya sancita sarva pApa nAshAya santatam
mama hrdayastham sarvajana vandya cidambara prasiddham shrI
A: kavi hrdkamala bhAnum kamanIya tanum
(ciTTasvaram)
, , , , , , sa ri , gA mA pA nI sA* , , , , pa sA* ni , pA mA ri pa ma ri ma ri sa sa
ri ga ma pA , ga ma pa ni sA* , pa ni sa* ri* sA* , ma* ri* sa* ni pa ma ri sA pa ma
ri sA ni pa ma ri sA sa* ni pa ma ri sA ri* sa* ni pa ma ri sA ma* ri* sa* ni pa ma ri sa
kAlakAla sUnum gAna jnAna dhEnum shrI
C: iSTArtha pradam Ekadanta yutam indrAdi vinutam candra varNayutam
kaSTa vighna haram kamalAsanastham karivara vadanam sarva karma sAkSiNam shrI

manamirangAdA iraiva. rAgA: mAyAmALavagauLa. rUpaka tALA.

P: manamirangAdA iraiva (un) (ponnambalava) mAdhavan tEDiyum kANAda pAdanE
A: kanaka sabhaiyil dinamum Ananda kAkSi tarum sarva sAkSiyE undan
C1: knavilum ninadu kazhaliNaiyaik-kaNamu-maravAda tanayan enpl shibnam koNDavan
pOlE shOdittadu pOdum (nI) en manat-tuyar tanai mATri magizhvaLikka innum
2: pADip-paNindu bhaktar (unnaip) vAzhvil pArrinilE uyarndAr parama dayAnidhi nI bAlanen tuyar kaLaindAL tEDiDum poruLai ellAm dinam dinam enakkut-tandE (nAn) cintai magizhvu inbam cidaiyAda nilaiyilE tara

svarNakAlabhairavam. rAgA: kalyANi. s/tripuTa tALA.

P: svarNakAlabhairavam kAlabhairavam bhairavam ravam vam vandEham sundara murAravindam shrI
A: varNa jvAla jaTAdharam shunavAhanam krpAkaram (rakta)
vara shUla kapAla pAsha Damarugadhara sarasIruha karam
(madhyamakAlam-tisra naDai)
agni nibha sharIradyutim nagna shubha vIkSaNamatim lagna bhakta svarNanidhim rakSAkara kSEtrapatim shrI
(ciTTasvaram-catusram)
sA* , , , , ni , dhA mA pA , , , , mA gA ri , sA , , , , *ni , *dhA ni sA , , ri , gA mA , , pA dhA ni ,
sA* ri , , , sA* ni , ri , sA* , , ni , dhA sA* ni , , , dhA pA ni , dhA , , pA mA gA mA , , pA dhA ni ,
sA* ri* , , , ni , sA* , , ni , dhA mA gA mA pA dhA pA dhA , , ,mA pA , , mA gA ri , gA mA dhA ni ,
sA* , , gA* ri* , , , , , sA* ni , dhA pA mA gA ri , sA , , gA ri , , , , , sA ri , gA mA pA dhA ni ,
C: bhUta prEta pishAca gaNanAtha paramEshvaram prabhum
bhUta bhavya vartamAna pApa bhaya duhkha prashamana vibhum
shIta kiraNa shEkharam shivam cidambarapura citsabhA nivAsinIm
cintita sakalESTaprada caraNa yugaLa bhAsinam
(madhyamakAlam-khaNDa naDai)
nIla ruci vEdakara vanhi nayanam trishUlaka kapAla Damarunca saha pAsham nagna
shuna vAhana sakinkiNi vibhUSam prOccagati kEshadhara sarpavara hAram sadA

kaNDavarkku kanavilum. rAgA: kuntalavarALi. Adi tALA.

P: kaNDavarkku kanavilum kAla bhayam EdayyA kanaka sabhaiyil uLLE iDadu kAlait-tUkki Adum kAkSi
A: toNDarukkut-toNDanAgi tUdu naDanda pAdam tUmaraiyOr uLLam dinam tudikkum kuncitapAdam
C1: meyyanbar manam pOlE vENDuvadai Iyum pAdam mEdiniyE viyakkum Adi bhagvan pAdam
poyyanbar sheyarkkErppa buddhi pughaTTum pAdam pugazh poruL bhOgamuDan bOdhamum tarum pAdam
2: kAlanai mArkkaNDarkkAi kaDindudaitta pAdam kaLLam illA uLLattil kalandaruL sheivOn pAdam
talai vidhi eduvAnAlum adai tAn mATruvAn pAdam tanai nambinOr evarkkum tannaiyE taruvAn pAdam
3: Azhi jalam oDunga anru azhaluruvAi AnOn pAdam Uzhit-tANDavam sheidu umbar vAzh sheivOn pAdam
vAzhaiyaDi vAzhaiyAi emmai nangu vAzha vaikkum malarp-pAdam vanjinam pEshuvOrai ellAm anji Oda vATTum pAdam

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks very much LakShman!

What is his mudra?

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

abadri:
Thank you!!! :D They made my day. A question: does the file w/ the .ogg ext. play on WM Player or is it some other format that needs specialized software. That's the one I have problems w/ (the .wmv files play OK).

The music and ciTTasvarAs for these songs were all conceived and composed by Shri KVN and he himself sang them in his concerts. A very nice ciTTasvara for the nATa piece.

vasanthakokilam

does the file w/ the .ogg ext. play on WM Player or is it some other format that needs specialized software
The one I use for .ogg is VLC Media Player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/