K.V.Narayanaswamy

Carnatic Musicians
ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

Enna_Solven, Cool

I think this one which you posted was Evari Mata if I remember right. Punniyam oru Koti is a different one, outstanding - no doubts.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

14th July 2009

Respected All:

Can anyone please upload the KVN-TNK-Palghat Raghu concert (full) in 1979 at Shanmukananda Sabha, Mumbai?. I am unable to download/listen and I have read a lot about this concert. I think there is a RTP-in Sankarabharanam and a thani by Raghu sir. God bless you all.

Namaskarams
Regards

Guru

cpblog

Re: K.V.Narayanaswamy

Post by cpblog »

Respected Members, Please enjoy a 1972 Concert performed at "Parvathi", Mysore by

K. V. Narayanaswamy -----Vocal
T.N Krishnan ------- Violin
Umayalapuram Shivaraman ------Mridangam
K.S.Manjunath -----Ghatam
Performed on 26-3-1972

http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Can rasikas provide audio link to " gOpalaka pAhimam anisham" in Bhupalam sung by KVN. Thanks in advance.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Item 07 at this location: http://sangeethamshare.org/gvr/KVN_MSA_Upendran/
This song is often sung in Revagupti.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

ragam-talam wrote:Item 07 at this location: http://sangeethamshare.org/gvr/KVN_MSA_Upendran/
This song is often sung in Revagupti.
ragam-talam-(pallavi): Thank u very much for the link. In the book "Maharaja Sri Swati Tirunal Krithis(Part-1) ", the raga is printed as Bhupalam.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

vs_manjunath wrote:ragam-talam-(pallavi): Thank u very much for the link ...
Yes, ragam-talam rhymes with rAgam-tAnam.

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Dear Rasikas,

Inviting you all to a new posting of Vidwan KVN and his role of introspection in Music @ http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

The Parvathi Concert
Ramanavami Festival 1 April 1974

Palghat K.V. Narayanaswamy - Vocal
Lalgudi G. Jayaraman – Violin
Palghat R. Raghu – Mridangam
T. H. Vinayak Ram - Ghatam

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

Could someone host his link"kana vendamo "Sriranjani- with lyrics? should be somewhere-unable to locate!

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

I could locate it .but words I am still not clear about.
Albums containing Raagam: Sri Ranjani. Find Albums. Next page ». showing 1-20 of
81 results. Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... Kana Vendamo Raagam: Sri Ranjani ...
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/list_al ... ri_Ranjani

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

satyabalu- This is definitely available in AIR Commercial as i have the cassette. Meaning of this song was discussed on my request by rshankar some time back in the forum. Search Forum or ask rshankar u will have the solution.

It's an excellent song , the lyrics conveying an Xcelent theme" See Lord Nataraja at chidambaram when your eyes are in tact.....so on so forrh."

KVN's presentation accompanied by MSG is just melodious and superb.

I learnt this song by listening to this cassette!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Folks!! I shall be much obliged if any one can post KVN's rendering of Amba Nannu Brova in Thodi.

Thanks.

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

@MKR-- Link for KVN's amba nannu in thodi

http://www.mediafire.com/file/f8y7i6yjbs39p73

Ramasubramanian M.K

Thanks G Mohan for the prompt response--I was looking in the wrong places(Sahitya request etc)--could not respond earlier!!
Although Ariyakudi and Musiri popularised this kriti it was KVN in my opinion who imbued it with true Bhavam and feeling.

Towards the last decade of his life,KVN forgot himself on the stage and truly did nadopasana

For striking a perfect concert balance KVN had few equals. Palghat mani Iyer who adored Ariyakudi and also mentored KVN( KVN and Palghat Mani Iyer were related thro the first wife of KVN who died prematurely) was to a large extent instrumental in preaching moderation and sense of proportion(Alapana-krithi-neraval Swaram) and KVN to his credit literally followed Mani Iyer's advice.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

What a great vidwan! Here is a clip, where an audience member asks him to sing Manji. And he readily obliges.
http://www.youtube.com/user/prakashraon ... nYuryClgc0

This is followed by his signature Purvi thillana.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

mahavishnu, thank you for this gem. I wish I had had the musical sense to listen to him live when I could have.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Enna_solven: You are better off this way. You would only miss him more, had you heard him live!

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

That is another way to look at it ;( But, I can stretch the original poem 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all to my situation.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

RMK,

I believe Palghat Mani Iyer was KVN's first guru and that KVN started learning from ARI only later on, when PMI felt he was ready.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Yes that is correct. See the Sruti's interview with KVN in Hemmige Srivatsan's website

http://www.narada.org/kvn/intview1.html

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

mahavishnu

thanks very much, this is something which i will cherish all my life.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Yes, indeed. I have listened to this 4 times already and still it sounds fresh on the next listen. Even his way of asking 'mAnjiyA..' is so enchanting. What a gem! Thanks mahavishnu.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Mahavishnu, thank you for that link. It was very moving to watch KVN sing his pet mAnji. How he dissolves himself in his own music! I wonder if this is from his 1993 U.S. Tour with Nagai and VR? I have heard two or three concerts from that tour and each one is fantastic (Cleveland, Stanford).

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

bilahari, it is indeed KVN's Cambridge 19-6-1993 concert. I have it. I think I got it from S'priya but I am not able to see it there now.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:Thanks G Mohan for the prompt response--I was looking in the wrong places(Sahitya request etc)--could not respond earlier!!
Although Ariyakudi and Musiri popularised this kriti it was KVN in my opinion who imbued it with true Bhavam and feeling.

Towards the last decade of his life,KVN forgot himself on the stage and truly did nadopasana

For striking a perfect concert balance KVN had few equals. Palghat mani Iyer who adored Ariyakudi and also mentored KVN( KVN and Palghat Mani Iyer were related thro the first wife of KVN who died prematurely) was to a large extent instrumental in preaching moderation and sense of proportion(Alapana-krithi-neraval Swaram) and KVN to his credit literally followed Mani Iyer's advice.
I just like to recall what VVS said at this year's MMI Remembrance Day Celebratations that KVN told him that MMI was his Manaseega Guru. I recall this because I feel that KVN had studied EVERY ONE of the Giants & took Amsams he thought were great & evolved is own UNIQUE style......Aleppy Venkatesan has expounded on this in his lectures on Layam at Saraswathi Vaggeyakara Trust......VKV

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

cacm wrote: I just like to recall what VVS said at this year's MMI Remembrance Day Celebratations that KVN told him that MMI was his Manaseega Guru. I recall this because I feel that KVN had studied EVERY ONE of the Giants & took Amsams he thought were great & evolved is own UNIQUE style......
Not to forget the influence of MDR on KVN as well. That bit about getting lost in his music is reminiscent of MDR. I have heard it said that it takes a lot of self-assurance to do that on stage and most vidwans get it late in their careers when they do not have much left to prove in terms of adulation or respect. The well-known ones are Madurai Somu and Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer (I am told) and undoubtedly countless many less-known vidwans who are equally deserving of our respect and affection. Among contemporary vidwans RKSrikantan seems to be like that. Of course this sort of thing is only visible to us in the audience for some vidwans, not all. But many vidwans (if not most) visibly prefer to watch the audience and gauge their reactions at all times.

-Then Paanan

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

But many vidwans (if not most) visibly prefer to watch the audience and gauge their reactions at all times.
That would indeed be bad. May be a spot check once in a while as part of the process but it should not be for the purposes of seeking approval from the audience on a continuous basis.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Chadhur Raga RTP by Shri KV Narayanaswamy-a MIX

E'SWARA- 003-Shri. KV Narayana swamy-Chadhur Raga RTP-Mixing. ( 37.05 Mts. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O__YomYMPmI

Earlier I have uploaded the same RTP by shri Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar also.

venkatakailasam

gee

Post by gee »

Recently posted a thillana rendered by Sri KVN, among other videos (some by Sri Pattabhirama Pandit, who is coincidentally KVN's student). I hope you all find this video as enjoyable as I did. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHTrjdcLCr0

PS, I'm sorry for the slight differentiation b/w audio and video playback in this particular video. The original video that I have is perfectly fine...but the youtube version has been "tampered" with. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can fix the lag, I would be very glad to take them. The original version that I have is in .mpg format.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

A small tribute on his remembrance day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVhh45nGC0A

cpblog

K.V.Narayanaswamy in "Parvathi", Mysore 1970

Post by cpblog »

Respected Rasikas,

Inviting you to the concert performed by Vidwan K.V. Narayanaswamy on April 23, 1970 in "Parvathi", Mysore in the company of Vidwans
V.Sethuramiah ( Violin ), Trichy Shankaran ( Mridangam), K.S.Manjunath (Ghatam)and H.P.Ramachar (Khanjira)

Please welcome @ http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Thanking you.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Was there a commercial release of the Utsava prabandham krti-s of swati tirunAl, sung by KVN?

I am grateful for any details.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

We have all heard about KVN being the epitome of perfect tambura tuning. TViswa is supposed to have sent a person to KVN to learn tambura tuning.

But I have never seen any description of what exactly KVN was looking for or did with the tuning. Since we don't normally use electronic or other instruments to measure the accuracy of tuning, whether something as rich as a tambura sound is well-tuned can be a very subjective (so-called "pschoacoustic") phenomenon. Did KVN teach any students his magic? Did he have any special "tricks" to tune a tambura that people can relate here? Can anyone say what was different about the tambura shruti that he used (other than it was well-tuned) even if it is subjective? Did he prefer a soft sound or a hard percussive sound? Did he like to hear each string strummed separately or did he prefer the merged sound of all the strings? And so on. Just curious....

-Thenpaanan

cacm

Post by cacm »

thenpaanan wrote:We have all heard about KVN being the epitome of perfect tambura tuning. TViswa is supposed to have sent a person to KVN to learn tambura tuning.

But I have never seen any description of what exactly KVN was looking for or did with the tuning. Since we don't normally use electronic or other instruments to measure the accuracy of tuning, whether something as rich as a tambura sound is well-tuned can be a very subjective (so-called "pschoacoustic") phenomenon. Did KVN teach any students his magic? Did he have any special "tricks" to tune a tambura that people can relate here? Can anyone say what was different about the tambura shruti that he used (other than it was well-tuned) even if it is subjective? Did he prefer a soft sound or a hard percussive sound? Did he like to hear each string strummed separately or did he prefer the merged sound of all the strings? And so on. Just curious....

-Thenpaanan
I have been lucky to be present when he tuned the Thambura before concerts. He did tune each string separately and then tested all of them together. He would then use the small strings at the bottom-"Nool""- to adjust them to the optimum. More than that he would check & instruct the Thambura player tho keep the Thambura to be absolutely Vertical and also strum the different strings at a specific constant frequency while strumming. He was so sensitive he could detect any slight variations in this routine though the player was behind him!
I know because I was once forced not only to introduce him but accompany him on the Thambura at Syracuse University in the sixties. In my opinion apart from KVN, MMI & M.SS. are the only other ones I know who reached that PERFECTION LEVEL..................VKV

cacm

Post by cacm »

thenpaanan wrote:We have all heard about KVN being the epitome of perfect tambura tuning. TViswa is supposed to have sent a person to KVN to learn tambura tuning.

-Thenpaanan
I have been lucky to be present when he tuned the Thambura before concerts. He did tune each string separately and then tested all of them together. He would then use the small strings at the bottom-"Nool""- to adjust them to the optimum. More than that he would check & instruct the Thambura player tho keep the Thambura to be absolutely Vertical and also strum the different strings at a specific constant frequency while strumming. He was so sensitive he could detect any slight variations in this routine though the player was behind him!
I know because I was once forced not only to introduce him but accompany him on the Thambura at Syracuse University in the sixties. In my opinion apart from KVN, MMI & M.SS. are the only other ones I know who reached that PERFECTION LEVEL..................VKV

cacm

Post by cacm »

MODERATOR: PLEASE DELETE POST#186 AS IT IS A REPEAT OF #185. THANKS. VKV

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

cacm wrote:... [KVN] did tune each string separately and then tested all of them together. He would then use the small strings at the bottom-"Nool""- to adjust them to the optimum. More than that he would check & instruct the Thambura player tho keep the Thambura to be absolutely Vertical and also strum the different strings at a specific constant frequency while strumming. He was so sensitive he could detect any slight variations in this routine though the player was behind him!
... In my opinion apart from KVN, MMI & M.SS. are the only other ones I know who reached that PERFECTION LEVEL..................VKV
The tuning strings separately and testing them together and then adjusting the thread ('nUl" or "jawAri" in HindustAni terms) is the normal process of tuning that most people use. The requirement to hold the tambUra absolutely vertical is the normal prescription but hard to do over a period of 3+ hours. The reason is that the resonance of the tambUra is affected/muffled by whatever is in physical contact. The optimum position therefore is where the tambura has minimum contact with the strummer's body and the floor or anything else in the environment. The requirement that the pace of strumming be constant is also what is prescribed but hardly ever enforced. It is interesting that KVN was sensitive even to the variation to the pace of strumming. It reinforces our impression that he was hypersensitive to the sound -- perhaps that was all it was. His hypersensitivity was perhaps what drove him to such exactitude that others around him who could not tell the difference between an "ok" tuned tambUra and a really well-tuned tambUra found remarkable. But that does not tell us whether he used any tuning technique other than listening closely.

I have read that the Nobel Laureate C.V. Raman trained himself to be hypersensitive to harmonics when he was researching the special characteristics of Indian musical instruments. There was a story that he was once on a boat/ship and went missing. After a while he was found in the boiler room apparently in a trance. When the search party spoke to him, he was really cross. He said he was "trying to concentrate to hear the seventh harmonic of the sound of the engine" when they broke his reverie. Now, I don't know how accurate this story is but a normal person cannot hear more than three, at most four, harmonics. Perhaps the story-teller was exaggerating but it gives us an idea of what may be at work here.

Perhaps KVN could also hear many more harmonics than others -- as you tune a tambUra to micro-precision a hypersensitive person can hear beats in the harmonics and as you improve the tuning to progressively eliminate those beats you begin to hear them in higher and higher harmonics (it is theoretically impossible to eliminate beats altogether but there is a limit to human hearing).

I was hoping to learn that KVN had some magic trick that lesser mortals who have less than perfect ears could copy. :-)

BTW, I presume what VKV meant by "only KVN/MMI/MSS achieved perfection" is perfection in aligning the voice to the sruti.

-Then Paanan

cacm

Post by cacm »

THE SUBJECT IS MORE COMPLICATED THAN I WROTE......Actually the Plasiticity of the human brain, the servo system involved in correcting errors in real time on the part of the musician as well as his/her ability to produce the required sounds, the listener's ability to discriminate ALL are involved; I do not have the patience any more to expound on this. If we ever meet I will be happy to discuss the subject & the latest in physics as well as the biolgoy& other areas involved. VKV

gee

Post by gee »

I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I did...Sri KVN singing inta sowkya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d0rDKrxc4s

Ramasubramanian M.K

Gee: Thanks--the entire 35 odd minutes is pure Sowkhyam--Young Vidhyarthis --Male and Female Note the well-structured balanced rendering--the Neraval is a clinic on how Neraval is to be sung-- the spirit of Sowkhyam of the krithi is fully brought out-- the Kapi glides are rich in innovation(at times resembling S.G.Kittappa's Kodayile Virutham in some prayogams)--the neraval is gently woven into the Tala without having to hurry a phrase just to get to the "Edam" retaining throughout the spirit of the composer.

I am sure this is HOW the Saint envisaged how this Kriti should be sung!!!!

Once again Gee thanks for this "find". I thoroughly enjoyed it --no matter how many times I may have heard KVN sing this piece he brings a new nuance to it every time he sings--no wonder the audience broke into applause in between--faintly heard on the you tube!!!

gee

Post by gee »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:Gee: Thanks--the entire 35 odd minutes is pure Sowkhyam--Young Vidhyarthis --Male and Female Note the well-structured balanced rendering--the Neraval is a clinic on how Neraval is to be sung-- the spirit of Sowkhyam of the krithi is fully brought out-- the Kapi glides are rich in innovation(at times resembling S.G.Kittappa's Kodayile Virutham in some prayogams)--the neraval is gently woven into the Tala without having to hurry a phrase just to get to the "Edam" retaining throughout the spirit of the composer.

I am sure this is HOW the Saint envisaged how this Kriti should be sung!!!!

Once again Gee thanks for this "find". I thoroughly enjoyed it --no matter how many times I may have heard KVN sing this piece he brings a new nuance to it every time he sings--no wonder the audience broke into applause in between--faintly heard on the you tube!!!
I am glad that you enjoyed it :) Keep a watch on my channel, I will be uploading other nice videos from time to time. :)

rsankar

Post by rsankar »

I want to bring to the attention of the rasikas here (or remind, as the case might be) the amazing RTP Kamboji (Jagadisha Parthasarathe Karuna Payonidhe) sung by KVN mama. This RTP is the epitome of both laya and sowkhyam. I personally feel this is what natural layam is, where the kanakku doesn't appear as a contrived effort or an overdo. Not to mention the amazing voice modulation to give amazing sowkhyam. The smooth transition between Kamboji-Varali-Athana-Behag(?)-Sindubhairavi is pure bliss.

Just wanted to share with someone the joy I have experienced, so decided to write here.

Here is the Sangeethapriya link:http://www.sangeethamshare.org/murthy/K ... onidhe.mp3

ranjanimalavi

Post by ranjanimalavi »

Is this the one where he tries go on a high note and will say 'mannikanum' and will try it again.
I always feel his guilt when listening to this piece (his humbleness too( and the next time it will come so effortlessly.

Raman

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

this is what natural layam is, where the kanakku doesn't appear as a contrived effort or an overdo. Not to mention the amazing voice modulation to give amazing sowkhyam. The smooth transition between Kamboji-Varali-Athana-Behag(?)-Sindubhairavi is pure bliss.

he used to instruct the students not to deliberately put the tala,but to sing with the correct kalapramana,so that tala will follow automatically.One should practice it from the fundamentals like alankara.
Yes,nobody to match his voice modulation and soukhyam
One has to listen to his chathur raga pallavi,amazing transition from sankarabharam to todi,then to kalyani…
Thank you for the post ,which reminds me the concerts in 80s,some of them in December season,very much fresh in memories…

rsankar

Post by rsankar »

@Raman: No, this is a different version. I believe I have heard the one you are mentioning. In that I was very amazed on his attempt the second time. Anyway, in this one (1980s) he is in full form. Some avartanams in Varali and Athana neraval, and some swarams in kambhoji are so sheer amazing that one is just filled with ecstasy. I was told this was a Parthasarathi kovil kutcheri.

KNV1955

8th Day Navarathri Kriti of Swati Tirunal by KVN

Post by KNV1955 »

Prof.V.V.Subramanyam (Va.Ve.Su)produced a programme for Doordarshan featuring all the nine Navarathri Krithis of Maharaja Swathi Thirunal some 25 years back. The songs with his commentary in Tamil are available in You Tube. The attached link is the 8th day Kriti in Natakurunji by KVN. This padantharam is different & is my favourite. Vidya Kalyanaraman is singing this padam tomorrow at Nada Inbam as main Kriti.

[url] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIUmv0w ... redirect=1

KNV

venkatakailasam

Three songs for the legend..KVN..on his birth day

We do for get even our birth day....?? :( :( :(

KVN's Birthday is 15-11-12.....

I have opened a separate group on him at Face book..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/386866851391230/

Three of the songs considered popular...rendered by Shri KVN....

KVN 065-Dattatreya_Trimurthy_rupa_Ranjini_Ganapathi_Sachidanantha_Swamy ..

KVN 065-Dattatreya_Trimurthy_rupa_Ranjini_Ganapathi_Sachidanantha_Swamy.mp3

KVN 066-KandavarkuKanavilum-Kuntalavarali-Aadi-SwarnaVenkateshaDikshitar

KVN 066-KandavarkuKanavilum-Kuntalavarali-Aadi-SwarnaVenkateshaDikshitar.mp3

KVN 067-varugalAmO_ayyA_mAnji_gOpalakrishna_bharati

KVN 067-varugalAmO_ayyA_mAnji_gOpalakrishna_bharati.mp3

Rsachi

Re: Three songs for the legend..KVN..on his birth day

Post by Rsachi »

Yes, sir.. A worthy thought indeed for a unique musician!
I will sign up for your group.
Meanwhile, kindly also archive these other songs if possible:
1. Thyagaraja - Ramaniyada - KHP
2. Thyagaraja Yogavaibhavam - Dikshitar
3. Any Shyaamashastri - Anandabhairavi...
4. Sumasayaka- Swati Tirunal
5. Sagara shayana - MDR
6. Purvi Tillana
These were his classics...a level untouched by anyone else.

venkatakailasam

Re: Three songs for the legend..KVN..on his birth day

Here is Sahana...RTP....42.56mts..

KVN 068-sahana RTP.mp3