K.V.Narayanaswamy

Carnatic Musicians
KNV1955

Re: K.V.Narayanaswamy

Post by KNV1955 »

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Thanks-Very opt song on the eve of Dattatreya Jayanthi sch for tomorrow.
I have been visiting Sri Ganapathi Satchidananda Ashram at Mysore.I always used to think of this lovely song compo by Swamiji & tuned, sung by your father. I have never heard any one else singing this lovely song.

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

You are right Manjunath sir. Tomorrow is Dattatreya Jayanthi. I would love to hear artist sing this song in season tomorrow. I know how much effort Appa took in tuning the song & Chittaswaram before presenting in concert.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Will it be possible to provide chiTa Swarams ??

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

I will ask my son to notate & post

KNV

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

K V Narayanaswamy - Jagadanandakaraka - Nattai - Tyagaraja (rare recording)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeVuombZ ... e=youtu.be

KNV

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

In this video, the two tamburas being played- is it yourself & your sister Anuradha ?? This also must be quite an old recording.

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

No. That is my younger sister Rema(a favourite of my father) & Renganathan of Giri trading who was learning from him for a while.

KNV

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Thank you for the wonderful kAnaDA and surutti.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYhQLV9A ... rZl1mXQ8Kc
Live Concert @ Chicago

Bhairavi Main - Bala Gopala

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

http://shanmukhapriya.blogspot.in/

Sri Subramanyaya Namaste , Kambhoji,accompanied by V Sethuramaih on Violin & Palghat Raghu on Mridangam & V Nagarajan on Kanjira. Generous singing in higher octave & lovely neraval in Vasavati sakala deva.

Belated Happy New Year to Rasikas.

KNV

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

This recording has Raghu & Nagarajan Thani avartanam.
KNV

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

For the day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeVuombZl70 - Nattai
https://soundcloud.com/viswanathan-kn/k ... asa-Arabhi
https://soundcloud.com/viswanathan-kn/k ... aavulu-sri
I haven't heard him sing Varali & Goula.
Someone told me Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer willingly taught him Varali Kriti.
KNV

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Pl do u/l sri venkatEsham in Thodi sung by KVN.

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUrAKvx03NE

Nadopasakas - 10 - Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar - Palinchu kamaks

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Kokilapriya(r,s)-Maanayatha(JCW)-KVN-MC-PR

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/rwivzem ... aswamy.mp3

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

K V NARAYANASWAMY
Born: November 15, 1923, Palakkad
Died: April 1, 2002, Chennai

https://soundcloud.com/viswanathan-kn/0 ... -viruttham

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Shri. KNV, thanks for reminding us on the 1st of April. Chanced upon this wonderful vintage concert on youtube, couple of days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYcSPdHg4zw

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

V Ramnarayan Editor Sruti spoke beautifully in 12th Anniversary function. Sri Poorna Pragya Rao gave a sweet short concert prior to the function.

http://srutimag.blogspot.in/2014/04/the ... l?spref=fb

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

KNV
Lovely writeup by sruti. I never knew that even Balaji Shankar learnt from KVN . There is a mention about karthik and sudhir, were they singing few decades back.

Also is there any vintage recording or photo of your grandfather Kollenkode Viswanatha Bhagavatar. Could you share what KVN learnt from your thatha. I am assuming you also would have been part of their learning session , just like how maharajapuram s -ramachandran/srinivasan was a witness to santhanam learning from vishwanatha iyer.

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

Rajesh it is not DKJ disciple Balaji Shankar. It is Balaji Prasad who is settled in Middle East. Appa used to participate in Ashtapathi & Bhajans singing alongwith his Aunts (atthais) in his village. My thatha was particular that he should sit in the centre & not be a sideman like himself. I don't think he learnt much from my grandfather.Infact to the best of my knowledge he never learnt the basic lessons at all. His formal grooming started under Palghat Mani Iyer inclluding Viriboni varnam & later with CS Krishna Iyer. My mother is Mani Iyers Chittapa's daughter. Mani Iyer & my mother are cousins. My grandpa passed away when I was 9 years & I have never even spoken to him. I learnt for a very short period ( 3 to 4 varnam including Viribhoni Varnam & about 4 to 5 kritis). I never learnt any basic lessons. My mother died when I was 8 years old . Then both my elder sisters got married & I was packed off to boarding. My music lessons ended with that. He was particular that I must study since he felt handicapped by lack of education. But in later years I have observed a lot from his teaching of his students. He was hyper sensitive to Sruti perfection & Vocalisation (Kural kodukkum vitham). He had a student from Kerala whose vocalisation was like Jesudas. There was another student who would give his voice like MDR. He tried his best to change their way of singing but didn't succeed. He will pay attention to even small things. For a song like "Harihara puthram" in vasantha,he would emphasize on the plain note (shatjam - for ha ri portion) instead of taking the support of the preceding and succeeding note (melendho keezhendo edukkaama hit the shatjam note bang on its head). There is a beauty in singing it this way. How many can appreciate these nuances these days. He will also place lot of emphasis on keeping the beats neatly (palicchunu talam poda veppar) on thighs. Waving in air or putting with both hands or hiding the veechu were not acceptable to him. The only student who assimilated his music properly & practices is HV Srivatsan. All others are either imitations or didn't assimilate at all. I am excluding Ashwath since he is a product of Padma Narayanswamy. He has assimilated the school & has a good voice. As Rita Rajan said in last evening prog (guest speaker) Padma Narayanaswamy is an excellent teacher for male students.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

KNV1955..

You have also missed his concert posted on his remembrance day..yesterday..

Concert 153 at

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2014/02 ... t-iii.html

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

KNV1955 wrote:Rajesh it is not DKJ disciple Balaji Shankar. It is Balaji Prasad who is settled in Middle East.
The only student who assimilated his music properly & practices is HV Srivatsan. All others are either imitations or didn't assimilate at all. I am excluding Ashwath since he is a product of Padma Narayanswamy. He has assimilated the school & has a good voice. As Rita Rajan said in last evening prog (guest speaker) Padma Narayanaswamy is an excellent teacher for male students.
KNV
The error of Balaji Prasad mentioned as Balaji Shankar is there in sruthi blog content- if possible relay to them for the correction.

If some sishya assimilates fully and practices fully like his guru he/she surely becomes an imitation :-* . I have heard Ashwath who is indeed very promising- his voice and bhavam is like KVN and he is really promising for his age. I like pattabhirama pandit who has taken a lot of kvn and there is a touch where he moves bit away from KVN which is refreshing too especially in kalpanaswaras. I have yet not heard Hemmige Srivatsan- once in person Pattabhi told me a lot of good things about Hemmige Srivatsan.

The immortality of mahavidwan KVN is more pronounced even in other schools , I have seen many of my favorites of today taking a lot of KVN especially when few krithis and ragas of KVN staple are sung .

Is that a typo where you mentioned that Padma narayanaswamy is an excellent teacher for male students? How about female students?

Is there any interesting anecdotes of MDR and KVN that you know of , I would love to hear from you if there are many mutual respects/admiration about MDR and KVN?

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

Yes Rajesh it is a typing error in the blog I suppose. Aswath is very promising. Definitely way ahead of several male singers in his age group. MDR & KVN were mutual admirers. Appa felt denial of Sangeetha Kalnidhi title to MDR was a big mistake committed by MA. Infact he would say MDR is unique. His sruti suddham is amazing. When he glides over various notes flat there will not be a single lapse in Sruti alignment. It is very difficult to sing that way. The comment on Padma teaching male students was made by Rita Rajan. According to her it is difficult for a lady to teach male students. Probably because of the pitch difference. She said very few ladies teach men. HVS is a gifted artist. Read his article where he has analysed every component of KVN music. It will throw some light on how much he has understood his style of singing. That is what I meant by assimilation.If you assimilate something then you don't have to imitate or vomit out. You will use the learning to suit the texture of your voice, knowing your strength & weakness. For instance KVN always felt that he didn't have a voice as rich as his master. His masters mastery over Gammakam is unmatched till date. ( Appa would say Muthu muththa vizhum). But KVN had a natural fidelity over sruti & certain other aspects. His adopted Ari school to suit his voice.

cacm

Post by cacm »

HVS is a PRODIGY; Since almost his birth he was precocious& brilliant. He grew up in East Coast (near Poughkeepsie) & KVN had a great liking to him. Similarly Shashank was also taught by KVN. THERE ARE MANY OTHERS like this but HVS IS A TRUE KVN DISCIPLE CAPABLE of learning what KVN had to offer. BOTTOM LINE IS if one is SERIOUS about Carnatic Music one CANNOT ESCAPE ARI & KVN & their GENUINE CLASSICISM.IT SPEAKS VOLUMES OF KVN'S GENIUS HE DEVELPOED HIS OWN BANI! VKV

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

VKV Sir Your appreciation means a lot. Looking forward to your article on Dr Brown

KNV

cacm

Post by cacm »

KNV1955 wrote:VKV Sir Your appreciation means a lot. Looking forward to your article on Dr Brown

KNV
Dear KNV,
I am in the process of writing but CLEVELAND activities are right now priority. SO PLEASE BE PATIENT. I WANT TO DO A THOROUGH JOB. VKV

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

KNV-You are right on the dot when it comes to adherence to srithi-- KVN was my sister's teacher in the Fifties when he was living in New Street,Mandaveli--despite his familiarity with our family he was always punctual,no small talk,insisted that the previous lesson be repeated to his satisfaction before he proceeded.
In the early 2000's whenever I visited Chennai I used to catch a couple of concerts--he was totally immersed in the music--I asked him for some tips on holding the breath during "Karvais"(my wife tells me I am usually "long-winded while I talk--so if I can reduce my talking she says my karvais would be longer--that is another story anyway!!! Over the phone in Chennai he gave a demo asking me to progressively increase the karvai in intervals--each time holding it a little longer instead of trying to "belt" it out in one swoop--not that I have gotten better at it now(how can you teach an "old dog" new tricks--apparently KVN believed it can be done!!!
In my opinion Hemmige Srivatsa is the MOST AUTHENTIC follower of KVN in every way--he sometimes goes to the extent of asserting that he would not want to listen to others--be it the violin playing or vocal he has absorbed the essence of KVN's music. Aswath Narayan has ways to go-ofcourse I am not taking anything away from him(we arranged for him to sing for my late father's 100th birthday celebrations in last August--that was the first time I heard him in person--if y ou put the curtain down you would swear it was KVN singing!!).
On a personal note when he visited US in the late 70's at a chamber concert in Long Island, he asked me if I would play the kanjira with Ramnad Raghavan on the mridangam--he assumed that because my brother was a Mridngam player--learnt under PMI--that I could also play. I politely declined--that "indiscretion" on the part of KVN to even suggest that I could play would have been unforgiven by the Carnatic Music World had I succumbed to his overture!!!

A great artist who gave 100% on the stage whether he was in the forefront or in the back!! His climb to fame was not easy--I have never seen an artiste who worked harder at his craft than KVN and who worshipped his Guru(Ariyakudi)putting up with a lot of pinpricks characteristic of Gurukulavasam endemic in those days Despite his relationship to PMI he never took anything for granted--SSI used to compliment KVN as Musician of Musicians".A dispassionate learner that he was he learnt some of the pieces for which the Dhanammal family had a virtual monopoly--despite the fact that the schools were very different-At Wesleyan he learnt a good name thro his teaching.

Just listen to his Eppo varuvaro @ the Cleveland Festival(a popular download in You Tube)--Gopala Krishna Bharathi would have been moved to tears!!

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

RMK

that eppo varuvaro is what i posted, the post just before yours :)

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Advaitin: Sorry!! My oversight but it gave me an excuse to listen to it for the nth time!!!

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGdx2uyOr0Q

Saramathi & Kapi from Thyagaraja Aradhana

venkatakailasam

Concert 267-KS Narayanaswamy-veena
His birth day on 27-09-2014-Centenary year
listen at:

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2014/09 ... art-x.html

01-tharuni_varnam_kAmbhoji-ponnuswAmy
02-rAmarAma_guNasIma-simhEndramadhyamam-swAtitirunAl
03-Sadhinchane-Arabhi-Adhi-Tyagaraja
04-Kaligiyunte-Keeravani-Adhi-Tyagaraja
05-manasu_svAdhinamaina-shankarAbharaNam-tyAgarAja
06-Varali-Adhi-Tyagaraja
07-sItapatte_nA_manasuna-khamAs-tyAgarAja
08-marivEre_gati_evarammA-Anandabhairavi-syAmA_sAstri

venkatakailasam

bombal

Post by bombal »

Mahavidwan K V Narayanaswamy with H V Srivatsan and Bombay Balaji @ the Bharatiya Music and Arts Society, Bombay as part of the Sri Rama Bhagavathar centenary celebrations in the year 1990.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iki458b6y94am ... 0.MP3?dl=0

:namaste:

venkatakailasam

Request Join the group ...Palghat K.V. Narayanaswamy...At FB...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/386866851391230/

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

Some tech savvy guys have started a "Listen 2 MY Radio" on Palghat KV Narayanaswamy. The prog is broadcast twice a week from 9 PM to 10 PM. You can find on facebook at: facebook.com/palghatkvn.The next broadcast is on Sat.

KNV

CRama

Post by CRama »

Bombay Balaji, Thanks for your upload of that KVN concert. I am just listening to the great RTP in Kharaharapiya. I have never heard RTP in KHP by KVN. Your accompaniment is most appropriate and lilely also. Whenever you get some time, kindly do share such gems with us. Thanks once again.

bombal

Post by bombal »

thank you CRama sir...

namaste

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

bombal wrote:Mahavidwan K V Narayanaswamy with H V Srivatsan and Bombay Balaji @ the Bharatiya Music and Arts Society, Bombay as part of the Sri Rama Bhagavathar centenary celebrations in the year 1990.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iki458b6y94am ... 0.MP3?dl=0

:namaste:
Thanks a lot Balaji sir for sharing this great concert of the MASTER !! ... I have been listening this for last 3 days and addicted... Please do share your memories and other finer details of manodharma aspects of this concert (layam part of it, from neraval, swarams esp, since you played mridangam...)

A great kalyani (bhajre chitta) and kharaharapriya RTP by KVN mama... with kanavendamo, irakkam varamal etc.... and immortal viriboni !!

Loved the kalyani and KHP alapana... Thanam didn't go well with me, lot of akara phrases like alapana..

pallavi is grand, with good use of swaraksharas (on sa, ma and ni).... Rama ni samanam evvaru, samanam evaru, samanam evaru in tisra triputa, 2 kalai... samam eduppu (hope it is right) since the sahityam part has samanam !! great ragamalika pallavi and swarams in varali, atana and behag...

I am hearing two thillanas ! I'm sure they are not from same concert.. you may confirm

Master sings janaranjani filler... has done any detailed alapana in this ragam? Would love to hear...

bombal

Post by bombal »

thank you pattamaa...

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Balaji, you are indeed fortunate to have accompanied such greats.

bombal

Post by bombal »

thank you mahavishnu

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuykK20 ... e=youtu.be

An interview of Sri K.V.Narayanaswamy in Malayalam. Sourced from an old VHS tape.
K V Narayanaswamy

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

pattamaa wrote: Loved the kalyani and KHP alapana... Thanam didn't go well with me, lot of akara phrases like alapana..

Pattamaa, I would like to hear you sing Thanam one day. Maybe Sri KVN could have learnt a thing or two from you. Who knows, maybe even Ariyakkudi himself could have gotten a couple of pointers on good singing from you. Unfortunately they aren't present to hear your gems!

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear KNV,
VERYGOOD & RELEVENT POINTS. It would be nice if you can copy& paste this in the ARI SECTION TOO. VKV

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

advaitam wrote:

Pattamaa, I would like to hear you sing Thanam one day. Maybe Sri KVN could have learnt a thing or two from you. Who knows, maybe even Ariyakkudi himself could have gotten a couple of pointers on good singing from you. Unfortunately they aren't present to hear your gems!
sure, most welcome, when i perform next, i will post it in events and announcement section.

Not sure about nit-pick. I just commented on what my preference is in thanam singing.. I admire and an ardent fan of Sri KVN, and his music. I couldn't understand what is your concern about...

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

They will broadcasting some gems of Sri KVN via internet radio this Friday. The link is - http://palghatkvn.listen2myradio.com/ Broadcast date and time: 13/03/'15 - 8:30 pm IST. You can follow the event on Facebook too. The link is - https://www.facebook.com/events/1614650592091573/

shanks

Post by shanks »