Gayathri Girish

Carnatic Musicians
priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Hi friends,

my favourite singer is Gayathri Girish. i listened to her nagumomu in the album ultimate, fusion music. then i listened to her cds neelambari and karnaranjini. Gayathri Girish is too good.

can anyone tell me more about her ? any info. about Gayathri Girish ?

regards,
priya ram

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

thanks for the info on Gayathri Girish. her concerts are held in chennai. i would like to know about her kutcheris whenever they are held in chennai. the schedule as well as reviews. i hope it is possible to know these thro' this forum.

thanks,
priya ram

rajeshnat

Re: Gayathri Girish

Post by rajeshnat »

Review of her concert , rtp in poorvikalyAni was well received.
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2896201.ece

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

thanks for the link. very happy for Gayathri. Hope to read more reviews of Gayathri in this forum.

askn

Post by askn »

Gayathri Girish has over the years steadily expanded her musical horizons and her repertoire. She has also delved into lecture-demonstrations, workshops and research. www.radioweb.in has an Artiste Highlight featuring one hour of her music

cacm

Post by cacm »

Gayatri Girish gave a SUPERB two hour performance in the Cleveland Festival this year celebrating MMI Centenary. She covered the entire gamut of Tamil Compositions MMI made famous well before the Tamil Isai Movement started & explained WHY he chose to emphasise Tamil compositions & composers like Papanasam Sivan. Her renderings of rare compositions rarely heard now a days like: Ganamudha Panam, Paamalaikinaiyundo, & other rare MMI Gems were brilliant. Indeed a very rare artist who can not only just render the compositions & music but can EXPLAIN various aspects of why they were so special when MMI rendered them. A great artist who understands as well as communicates VERY WELL all aspects of the subject matter. VKV

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

And probably the best in pronouncing lyrics across languages....

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

i was in chennai for a month but could not attend any concert, especially Gayathri Girish's concerts. There is a concert of Gayathri Girish at Siddhi Buddhi Vinayakar temple, R.a:Puram on 22nd September from 7 to 9 pm. but sadly i wont be here. hope to read more reviews of Gayathri Girish here in rasikas. Thanks.

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Very happy to read about Smt.Gayathri Girish in the Hindu. It is posted in her blog www.gayathrigirish.blogspot.com. hope to read more reviews of my favourite vocalist, thanks to rasikas.

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Very happy to read review of Smt. Gayathri Girish in Dinamani. http://dinamani.com/music/article1393556.ece
Wish I can read tamizh........:-( thankfully rasikas.org is in english.. :-)

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Very happy to read this post in my favorite vocalist's blog. It is a review, full of praises for another carnatic vocalist. The blog address is www.gayathrigirish.blogspot.com

I was infact waiting to see her post about her own music academy concert. Wish to know the songs she sang there. Got to know a rasika in a musician......

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

thanks for the link, Priyaram.
That is a very nice review of by Smt GG. As you say, it is nice to see the rasika in a performer.

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Very happy to read Smt.Gayathri Girish's review in The Hindu. Here is the link.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 296269.ece

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Priyaram - thank you for that link - seems to have been a wonderful concert...I think Vishruti is sitting behind her mother in the picture.

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Yes. That is Vishruthi, Gayathri's daughter sitting behind her. She too is into carnatic music and has appeared in a show on Jaya tv where school students compete in classical singing. I cannot recollect the name of the program though.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

gAYATHRI_gIRISH_tHEME_CONCERT_Purandaradasa_

http://e-swari.blogspot.in/2011/05/song ... adasa.html

Scroll down on the link...last item in the list

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Thanks sir for the link. Please do keep sharing more. It is always a pleasure to listen to such devotional, heart rending songs.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Gayyathri Girish-Chamundamba_Ashtothra_Krithi..Another theme concert..H Muthaiah Bahavathar Compositions

http://e-swari.blogspot.in/2011/03/hari ... athar.html

The first link....

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Here is an enlightening post about pongal. Www.gayathrigirish.blogspot.com. wishing all a happy pongal.

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Smt.Gayathri Girish is performing at Tattvaloka, Eldams Road today at 6.15 pm. hope to read reviews here. there is also going to be a webcast of the concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFHKGTWpxzo

Gayathri Girish (Vocal)
Sarvani Sangeetha Sabha
Tattvaloka (Chennai)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you PriyaRam and Parivadini - I'm listening to the webcast while 'trying' to work from home waiting for the snow in my driveway to be cleared...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Hey Ravi, just I learned a couple of weeks back, the snow does not clear itself ;)

But definitely a great way to spend the day while trying to work from home!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

vasanthakokilam wrote:Hey Ravi, just I learned a couple of weeks back, the snow does not clear itself ;) !
I know - from more than one episode this winter :(

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

December Music Season Concert Schedule of Smt.Gayathri Girish is here http://www.gayathrigirish.blogspot.com.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Priya,
Good to hear from you!
Hoping to meet you at least in a couple of concerts :)

Thanks for bringing the first (?) of December schedules of the artistes! Thanks to Gayathri Girish for the information.

Gayathri's 29th December concert is the one where many of us can meet and savor her music and of Suryaprakash. It's special to all of us because it's in memory of our dear GBL. Thanks to Mohan (Kamalamba on Rasikas.org)) and GBL's family for arranging these concerts by our fellow members.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Very good spectrum of venues and locations including Music academy and variety of programmes- thematic concerts, RTP concert, demonstrations etc. All the best to Gayathri Girish for a very successful season ahead. I will definitely attend some of them and will post the reviews.

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Smt.Gayathri Girish concert Live webcast for Madhuradhwani at Arkay Convention Center. Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a8KidfgrFE

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Smt.Gayathri Girish Live at Arkay Convention Center for the 4th Anniversary, day 2. it is a lec dem by Dr.Nagaswamy where GG gives vocal support. here is the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zytcCkNDfc

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

First concert of The Music Season starts today for Smt.Gayathri Girish. Here is the schedule at www.gayathrigirish.blogspot.com. hope to read reviews here. Thanks.

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

Smt.Gayathri Girish's Lec-Dem ' Live' on Parivadini. here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2OfW6vH9Sw

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Her thematic concerts on the Myriad forms of Siva are very well researched and insightful. Her singing has always been good. Her voice is very robust, no song of hers ever sounds light. I like her renditions of Om Namo Narayana (Karnaranjani), Aadathu Asangadu Vaa and Hamsanandi tillanna.

priyaram78

Post by priyaram78 »

December Music Season updates in the blog www.gayathrigirish.blogspot.com

satyabalu

Re: Gayathri Girish-The Hindu review

Post by satyabalu »

Gayathri Girish presented ‘Maa Ramanan- Umaa Ramanan’, a multi-media presentation based on the kritis of Papanasam Sivan. With an excellent team of supportive artists — Mysore V. Srikanth (violin), Poongulam Subramaniam (mridangam) and Kovai S.V. Subramaniam (ganjira), Gayathri took the audience through many kshetras with her visual and vocal presentation. As she sang the songs, the lyrics appeared on the screen with appropriate visuals. She presented Sivan’s three facets — a devotee, poet and a musician.

It was like a lec-dem, and an informative and enjoyable one at that. The time she spent on studying the kritis was evident in the way she classified them, giving examples of the different kinds of devotion, the songs represented. For instance, ‘Nee Indha Maayam’ for Madhurya Bhakti (the Lord as lover), ‘Karunaanidhiyae Thaayae’ (Maternal love), ‘Unnai Allaal’ (Atma samarpan-total surrender) and ‘Unnai Nambi Emaandhaen’ for Nindha stuti (veiled praise).

As a musician, Sivan has no parallel. The choice of the ragas and the sangatis matching the moods of the compositions bring out his mastery of ragas. He shines as a poet, particularly in some compositions.

In the song ‘Nambikkettavar Evarayya’, the word ‘Umai’ would mean ‘you’ the first time and Goddess Uma, the second time. In another composition, he plays with the words — ‘paadha kamalam’ and ‘Paadhaka malam. The former refers to the lotus feet of the lord and the latter to the evil vices.

Gayathri Girish began with, ‘Unnai Thudhikka Varam Thaa’ in Kunthalavarali on Thiruvarur’s main deity, Tyagaraja Swamy. This is said to be Sivan’s first composition. The famous chariot, Tyagesar’s ajapa natanam and the pond Kamalalayam were shown as visuals. ‘Kaana Kann Kodi Vaendum’ in Khambodi had excellent visuals of Pavazhakkaal vimanam, Karpagambal, in the form of a peacock, worshipping Siva and Adhikaara nandhi sevai.

Gayathri presented her main piece, ‘Maa Ramanan, Umaa Ramanan’ in Hindolam, after explaining how Sivan was inspired by Chidambaram Subbaiya Dikshitar’s slokam, ‘Maa Ramanam Umaa Ramanam’. This was followed by an interesting thani. Papanasam Sivan has composed nearly 2,000 songs out of which 60 are in Sanskrit. He has composed ‘Madhyama kala’ sahityams too, inspired by Muthuswamy Dikshithar, said Gayathri. The concert showed that it was possible to curate similar events based on other composers.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Gayathri Girish shines again! My association with her has not only been an endearing one, but a revelation about her skills, hard work and her yearning for excellence in her art.

What she has done even for a much lesser composer like me by singing thirteen songs of mine in her recent CD is something I will cherish. The interesting thing is, the more I hear her sing any song, the better it sounds. Shows her intuitive approach to any composition, the way she gets to the feelings expressed in the words of a song...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote:Gayathri Girish shines again! My association with her has not only been an endearing one, but a revelation about her skills, hard work and her yearning for excellence in her art.
Having known her for a long time, I could not agree more! :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Detailed alpanA? alpanA is probably a brief sketch.... :lol:

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Saw on Vidushi Smt. Gayatri Girish's page that she received the "Jnanananda Teertha" Ogirala Veera Raghava Sarma Endowment Award this year! I am sure she sang a few of his compositions in the concert that followed.

Congratulations to the Vidushi! Seems ultra-special, as his daughter is a member of this forum!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I came across this Hanuman Chalisa in Tamizh sung soulfully by the artiste:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puLspjWq_Bg

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Vidushi GG review in The Hindu dated Jan 19th,2018. Sri rajagopala in saveri certainly needs more time.
http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 464224.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Vidushi Gayathri Girish writeup on Papansam Sivan's Sanskrit compositions . From The Hindu dated May 07th,2021
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 501547.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Gayathri Girish Concert review of exclusive Thamizh New years day concert of April 2022. Review from The Hindu dated April 22,2022
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 326629.ece