Vairamangalam Lakshminarayanan

Carnatic Musicians
jayaram

Post by jayaram »

kaumaaram wrote:Courtesy, Raju Asokan and A.Badri, I have uploaded the following USA 1987 concert of VLN in my folder:
kaumaaram - Many thanks.
By the way, the accompanists for the 1987 US concert tour:
Tirupparkadal Viraraghavan - violin
Ramnad Raghavan - mridangam
G. Harishankar - kanjira

Reference: http://www.imsom.org/events/19870517.html
(also has a picture of a very young Mandolin Srinivas!)
Last edited by jayaram on 06 Dec 2006, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Hello all

I just read through the messages and thought of writing a few words about VLN mama as I am one of his students. I would say he is one of the best teachers you could find. Inspite of being an ocean of knowledge, he was so unassuming and humble. He used teach the same concept 'N' number of times just to make sure you understand it the right way.

Since I am a flautist, I used to sing in the same sruthi of my flute which is 3. 3 would be too high of VLN mama. But, he took a lot of trouble to teach me in the same sruthi I am comfortable with.

Many times, I shall understand something and play it perfectly, however would falter while singing (as flute is my main discipline). He used to patiently say " Nee nanna vaasikara..adha paadi keduthukaadha.."...lol

He used to share his wonderful experiences with the likes of Palghat mani iyer and Lalgudi G Jayaraman.

One more thing that used to amaze me is his keerthana knowledge. Any song u ask him, he would teach you. Once I asked him to teach me "Maa ramanan" in Hindolam and he said "Poda..enakku theriyadhu". I had a cruel sense of satisfaction to know that VLN doesnt know a popular song..but the same week, he sang it in Sasthri Hall and smiled at me..and taught the song to me the following week.

I feel that nobody else to could match the style with which he used to sing "Mahitha Pravrutha Srimathi - Kambodhi', "Dayaleni - Nayaki", 'Varanarada - Vijayasree", "Nija dasa varadha - Kalyani" etc...

May his soul rest in peace.
May his soul rest in peace..

toufiq

Post by toufiq »

during my three years at kalakshetra i learnt many songs from lakshimarayana mama. he was a great teacher and very humble too.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Kaumaaram Sir,

Amazing concert that was...please post if you have any more of vairamangalam USA tour concert...Its luvly to hear harishankar in such great flow...I haven't heard anyone play with such understanding of Bhairavi Varnam.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Sorry Mr Thatwamasi. I happened to see your post only today. My hunt continues.
Meantime, thanks to Radhakrishnan for providing us this information.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

A soft spoken Vidwan whose prowess did'nt receive the proper exposure it deserved.Even one of his disciples(a female disciple whose name I do't want to expose)seemed to be hesitant or averse to mention his name as her Guru.That is the way of the world.
Last edited by vageyakara on 07 Jan 2008, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

he has plenty of female disciples,some of them good enough to give concerts,like Jaya Krishnan,who should be proud to say that she is the disciple of Vairamangalam.
here is the review of one of her concert

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2 ... 440400.htm

somebody commented about Jaya Krishnan's music as 'ore vairamangalam' and his response was 'ayyayyo,appo vairamngalam paattu?!' and that that man replied 'atu Rangachari!"

not sure whom vageyakara meant,but I remember one occasion, somebody asked him about one female disciple 'neenge thane solli kodithirukkar' and his reply was 'atu avar sonna than nannayirukkum!'

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

erroneously entered.Hence deleted
Last edited by vageyakara on 07 Jan 2008, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

vageyakara sir,are you sure that gayathri girish has learnt from vln? I thought Vaigal Gnanaskandan is her first guru.
Sugandha Kalamegham has learnt from him,her rendition of O Ranga saayee has that vln stamp

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

deleted
Last edited by vageyakara on 07 Jan 2008, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

I am sorry , I mistook , vaigal Gnanaskandan for VLN .Thank u Ramakrishnan' ji for pointing out the error.Please excuse.

ankita

Post by ankita »

rmdeer2000 wrote:i remember seeing mama the day before he passed away in the hospital and doing namaskaram...he tried saying something to me but was unable to, as his health had deteriorated that much.

truly a great and irreparable loss to the CM world; even though i only learned from him for a brief period of time, not a day passes without remembering classes with him, his humor, and his warm personality.

anytime i hear dayaleni in nayaki, mohanakara in neetimati, neerajakshi kamakshi, and many others songs, i am only reminded of mama and the remarkable way mama used to render them.

endarO mahAnubhAvu-landariki vandanamu
his parvatharaja in sriranjani, arul seyyavenum in Rasikapriya, iti nyayama in Malavi, thillana in behag, Mahatripura in Bairavi were real Vairams...happy to join "Vairamanagalam Trust" pl let me know...I miss him a lot...(was his student from 1988 - 2003)

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

ankita, welcome.
incidentally it is the 4th death anniversary of the master
Yes,he popularized vivadi rags like rasikapriya and neethimathi .But which is the behag thillana you mentioned? He used to sing sankarabharanam thillana often.
Here is a short behag by vairam
http://rapidshare.com/files/135767513/v ... g.MPG.html

ankita

Post by ankita »

Radhakrishnan wrote:ankita, welcome.
incidentally it is the 4th death anniversary of the master
Yes,he popularized vivadi rags like rasikapriya and neethimathi .But which is the behag thillana you mentioned? He used to sing sankarabharanam thillana often.
Here is a short behag by vairam
http://rapidshare.com/files/135767513/v ... g.MPG.html
Hi Radhakrishnan, yes, his fav was the sankaraparanam thillana...but the other thillana that he taught me was the one that (I guess) his guru used to sing..sorry for the typo...its thilang...not behag..i dont know who the composer is though ..i will find it soon and let you know...but it goes like this.." pallavi - uthanadeemtha thirana. nathruthillani thomthrudhani thadariathaani dirana...charanam - unthiruvadi nambinen amma umaye uvandhu varam arulvaaye ;painthamizhil padi adi kalithen sodari enai aadari...dhimdhim nadrudim mapanimanipamaga januthadeemtha nisagamapanipa nimathakanaka ...."
Last edited by ankita on 09 Aug 2008, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Ankita,the thillana you mentioned is in thilang,yes,Rangachari used to sing it.There is another thillna in chenjurutti which he used to sing in concerts.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Radahakrsihnan wrote:......Ankita,the thillana you mentioned is in thilang,yes,Rangachari used to sing it.There is another thillna in chenjurutti which he used to sing in concerts.

From what I know the 'Thilang' thillana was composed by Rangachari himself.

ankita

Post by ankita »

yes Purist, you are right...i just now found out from one my old music books, that the composer of tilang thillana is Rangachari...

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

ankita,you learnt under vairam for 5 years,would like to know the standard please,to know how many are in the concert level.As he used to say about Rangachari bani ‘ithu en vAdyAr vazhi;koncham kanKu,vyavahAram eLAm undu’
thathwamasi wrote:Since I am a flautist, I used to sing in the same sruthi of my flute which is 3. 3 would be too high of VLN mama. But, he took a lot of trouble to teach me in the same sruthi I am comfortable with.

He used to do the same with mridangists in concerts,adjusting to their sruthi.He sings in oru kattai sruthi and later part of his career less than that.Once in KGS,he sang in one and a half,as requested by Mani Iyer,that too a mike less concert(avar mike use paNa mATAr,aPo pATukArar use paNarathu ePadi?!)
Thathwamasi sir,are you in concert level?
Some more points about the teacher and performer in him;
Usually he sings the same songs he teaches the students at that time.He saw the film swAthi thirunAl and remembered the song chaliye (antha padam pAthaPothu thAn jnApakam vantatu,en gurunAthar adiKadi pAduvAr) and that song was a regular item in many concerts followed.

ankita

Post by ankita »

Radhakrishnan wrote:ankita,you learnt under vairam for 5 years,would like to know the standard please,to know how many are in the concert level.As he used to say about Rangachari bani ‘ithu en vAdyAr vazhi;koncham kanKu,vyavahAram eLAm undu’
thathwamasi wrote:Since I am a flautist, I used to sing in the same sruthi of my flute which is 3. 3 would be too high of VLN mama. But, he took a lot of trouble to teach me in the same sruthi I am comfortable with.

He used to do the same with mridangists in concerts,adjusting to their sruthi.He sings in oru kattai sruthi and later part of his career less than that.Once in KGS,he sang in one and a half,as requested by Mani Iyer,that too a mike less concert(avar mike use paNa mATAr,aPo pATukArar use paNarathu ePadi?!)
Thathwamasi sir,are you in concert level?
Some more points about the teacher and performer in him;
Usually he sings the same songs he teaches the students at that time.He saw the film swAthi thirunAl and remembered the song chaliye (antha padam pAthaPothu thAn jnApakam vantatu,en gurunAthar adiKadi pAduvAr) and that song was a regular item in many concerts followed.
not 5 years Radhakrishnan...at least 15 years since 1988 - 2003..I started learning under Dr. S.Ramanathan when I was 3.. until he passed away ie 1988..and then I moved to Vairam sir when I was 11... .and yes, he took the trouble to touch me in my sruti 5...the more i think of those days the more I miss him...he was a master in Kanakku; when I was in my 5th/6th grade, he used to make sp chittaswarams for me for a lot of songs so I could win prizes in all those school level comptetions...

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Radhakrishnan Sir

I am at concert level. Please check the following link.

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4772

However, I must say I don't know whether to classify myself under Vairamangalam Vazhi, because he constantly has advised me to listen to all stalwarts (Alathoor, ARI, DKJ, Ramnad, to name a few) as he felt that I need to listen to all these and try reproducing the bhavam, without sticking on to one style. May be he said that because I am an instrumentalist and not a vocalist.

I follow that rigourously till date and play based on my listening of these stalwarts.

Thanks
T

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

ankita:
Please send me an email message. Thanks.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

ankita: I got your message but for some reason my response to it through my two different email servers bounced back.
I was inquiring about whether you have lyrics of S.Ramanathan's compostions. I do have some and I had included the list of these in my message.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Thathwamasi sir,he was a good rasika himself,used to appreciate even the new generation musicians and ask all his students to listen to other musicians to get kElvi gnAnam.
one incident,just before a concert he was chatting with a student ,he hummed bhairavi and recalled the way GNB used to sing swara at neela neerada .And Vairam sang an elaborate bhairavi in that concert.

ankita

Post by ankita »

Lakshman wrote:ankita: I got your message but for some reason my response to it through my two different email servers bounced back.
I was inquiring about whether you have lyrics of S.Ramanathan's compostions. I do have some and I had included the list of these in my message.
yes, I do Lakshman sir...I will send them to your email id...

ankita

Post by ankita »

One of SR mama's fav krithis was Varaalandu in Gurjari...most of the times he used to start the class with this song..Vairam sir used to admire the way SR mama used to sing this particular song...SR mama had composed a lot of songs...one of his excellent compositions is "Bavapriye Bhavani"...we lived in Triplicane.. i cant remember the street name of his house...and every sat/sunday SR mama used to go to this temple Kama KalaKameshwari in Triplicane and this composition was on this ambal...
Lakshman sir, I am not able to send this thru email...it bounced back...will soon send some more..

p: bavapriye bavani baaramma paripaahi
ap: bavarogha vidhaarini bakthahridaya viharini
c:thamarasa vilochani tharunaruna nibacharani
kamakala kaameshwari kurunaakaviraamasodari

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

ankita wrote:every sat/sunday SR mama used to go to this temple Kama KalaKameshwari in Triplicane and this composition was on this ambal...

p: bavapriye bavani baaramma paripaahi
ap: bavarogha vidhaarini bakthahridaya viharini
c:thamarasa vilochani tharunaruna nibacharani
kamakala kaameshwari kurunaakaviraamasodari
This is a small temple near the Triplicane Bus Terminus.

However, it is a very nice shrine. I visit here regularly. It is very nice to know of this kriti composed at this place.

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

There is a fabulous recording of Dr. SR with MSG and KM in which both bhavapriya and Gurjari are featured. AMAZING. A MUST POSSESS album. Other songs in that album are in devamanohari and bilahari.

ankita

Post by ankita »

this krithi is in the raga Bavani...janya of Bhavapriya...I guess, therer aren't many compositions in this raga..Vairam sir has once mentioned that Thyagaraja has composed one song in this raga...I am not able to find that song though...and I think few years ago I have also heard MLV singing this raga ...not sure of the composition though...

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

ankita: Here is the list of songs for which I have the lyrics. If you have others please post. Thanks.

AdiDum arasE. rAgA: suraTi. rUpaka tALA.
angayarkkaNNiyE (tv). rAgA: behAg. Adi tALA.
bhavapriyE bhavAni. rAgA: bhavAni tALa: rUpaka.
ika tALalEnurA. rAgA: hEmavati. k/cApu tALA.
malarinum melli (tv). rAgA: dvijAvanti. Adi tALA.
mAlE nin. rAgA: kOkilapriyA. Adi tALA.
manadirangi. rAgA: hamsadhvani. rUpaka tALA.
murugA un manam. rAgA: bEgaDa. Adi tALA.
nA moravina rAdA. rAgA: gOpriya. rupaka tALA.
sarva mangaLA. rAgA: behAg. rUpaka tALA.
sItA nAyaka. rAgA: SaDvidhamArgiNi. Adi tALA.
vA vA vElavA. rAgA: shivaranjani. Adi tALA.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

thathwamasi wrote:Kaumaaram Sir,

Amazing concert that was...please post if you have any more of vairamangalam USA tour concert...Its luvly to hear harishankar in such great flow...I haven't heard anyone play with such understanding of Bhairavi Varnam.
Thanks. I have picked up one more. Let me check whether it has been uploaded already in Sangeethapriya.org. Either I will give that link or will upload it.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Kaumaaram Sir!! Thank you so much.. Waiting for the same. Vairamangalam mama and Harishankar together is like Jack fruit and honey to my ears. :D :D

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Dear Thathwamasi

I have been restrained from hosting the two/three concerts on Internet. I will mail you the links before the end of next week. And you may forward it to your friends suitably.

Kaumaaram

Preetvardhan

Post by Preetvardhan »

Hi Radhakrishnan and all,

I am looking at this page for the first time.
I tried to pick the Vairam's mp3 posts but teh links appear to be old.
Is there any other way of collecting the same.
Also if someone has Vairam sir's Rasikapriya?

Regards,

Preet

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

Preet
There is a concert of Sri vairam in streaming audio. Perhaps if you google a bit you will get it. I do not have the link readily, if I find I will post it. There are some videos also in youtube, I think. Check it out
A GREAT ARTIST

Preetvardhan

Post by Preetvardhan »

Hi Musicfan,

His music is magical. I have the ones in Sangeethapriya and the Shimoga concert.
Would anyone have some other rare concerts of Sri Vairam?

Preet

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

I doubt if any other recordings are in corculation. I am infact hunting for a long time :)

Preetvardhan

Post by Preetvardhan »

Maybe Mr. Radhakrishnan could help. The rapidshare links have become outdated.
I am also going to get in touch with someone who has plenty of Spool Tapes. Lets see what is the outcome.
Will keep posted if I can add more to the collection.

Regards,

Preet

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Preet, I have attended 20-30 concerts of vairamangalam,including sabha,temple,marriage and even one AIR concert both in Chennai and different parts of kerala.Unfortunately I don’t have much of his recordings,though I know some people in Chennai who possess his concerts,due to other commitments I am not in a position to visit chennai and meet these people and get the recordings.
You requested rasikapriya,I am sure you meant ‘arul seyya’ by Koteeswara iyer.His patantharam for that song was excellent and he used to sing that song with lot of bhava.I remember one more such song, karthikeya gangeya,in thodi,Papanasam compostion.
The AIR recording I happened to attend,he sang an RTP which the violist struggled to follow. After the concert we were traveling together,Vairmangalam told the violinist where he wanted to get down.The vehicle went past that point and Vairamangalam quickly told the violinist ‘edam thandiyiduthu thampi,edam thandakudathu!!’ (reminding the RTP)

Preetvardhan

Post by Preetvardhan »

The last line was a great one....
If you would like me to follow-up on your behalf, I can do so....I am in between two jobs and have some spare time in which I intend to trace out some old music. I have akready started with some old music of Tirukkoilur Sisters etc.
So do let me know.

Regards,Preet

kalyani_ragam

Re: Vairamangalam Lakshminarayanan

Post by kalyani_ragam »

-

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Some of his songs...
jananI ninnuvinA - rItigOwla - misra chApu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rac6tW2ws
jananI ninnuvinA - rItigOwla - misra chApu (II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXrI5nFnX04

mOhanakara muthukumara - neetimati - rUpakam..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAk91pA0X88

eti yOchanalu - kiraNAvaLi - dEsAdi - tyAgarAja .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muRAmethH8o

krupajU jUdaku - chAyAtarangiNi - Adi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_15UVafBcM

tAyE tripurasundari - suddha sAvEri - khaNDa chApu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux1taahZulw

bhajana sEya rAdA - dharmavati - rUpakam (I)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5WNYzUXbe4

bhajana sEya rAdA - dharmavati - rUpakam II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcS0nExnwHk

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

A get together has been organized by the students of Vairamangalam in Chennai later this year.His rasikas,associates are all welcome.The idea is to propose a trust,collect what all recordings is available to release a cd.Even his class room teaching is precious.Anyone possess such recordings or photographs kindly bring.
As a tribute,his students may sing ,even if they are not in concert level,especially the songs popularized by him, o rangasayee,dayaleni,janani(riti goula),neepadame(nalina kanthi) or the rtps,like ananada bhairavi,amritha varshini to name a few.
jayaram,kaumaaram,gavati,thathwamasi please respond

cacm

Post by cacm »

EXACT DATE? VKV

kalyani_ragam

Post by kalyani_ragam »

Radhakrishnan wrote:A get together has been organized by the students of Vairamangalam in Chennai later this year.His rasikas,associates are all welcome.The idea is to propose a trust,collect what all recordings is available to release a cd.Even his class room teaching is precious.Anyone possess such recordings or photographs kindly bring.
As a tribute,his students may sing ,even if they are not in concert level,especially the songs popularized by him, o rangasayee,dayaleni,janani(riti goula),neepadame(nalina kanthi) or the rtps,like ananada bhairavi,amritha varshini to name a few.
jayaram,kaumaaram,gavati,thathwamasi please respond

You left out mohanakara muthukumara - What a GREAT RENDITION by him. Havnt heard anyone sing so beautiful as Vairam !

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

vln-011-mOhanakara muthukumara - neetimati - rUpakam..

composer koteeswara Iyer

rendered by Vairamangalam Lakshmi narayanan...

http://soundcloud.com/venkatakailasam/v ... uthukumara

lackukv

Post by lackukv »

Sri. Gurubhyo Namaha.

I introduce myself as Lakshmi Vijayaraghavan. I am also a proud student of Vairamangalam mama. I learnt from him from 2000-2002 I think (when I was about 11 years old) and I harbour fond memories of him teaching my father and me and having lunch with us after every class. He used to be very affectionate towards me and even had a very special nickname for me! As an ardent student and rasika of Carnatic Music, I am a devotee of mama's patantharam, his vidwat and the creativity he brings in and his powerful, manly voice. I wish I'd had the fortune of learning from him for a few more years but fate took him away from us all!

A few of us students of Sri. Vairamangalam S. Lakshminarayanan are planning to get together and have an informal meeting to discuss and celebrate the life and greatness of the vidwan, whose genius filled music never reached many. We would have some friends, students and musicians who were very close to Sri. Vairamangalam say a few words about how he influenced them and their music. We also plan to play clippings of his concert recordings as a first step towards the idea of releasing a CD of his music. If anyone has interesting anecdotes to share about Vairamangalam mama, it would be great if you could attend the meeting and share these with everyone. If you are unable to physically attend the meet, please post your experience/anecdote in this thread and one of us students would be more than happy to read it out. All fans of mama's music, anyone who knew him and all those who would simply like to listen to a sample of his music, are more than welcome to attend the get together. The meet is proposed to be held on August 8th in Besant Nagar, Chennai. More details about timings, venue and agenda of the meeting will be updated in this thread shortly.

Below is a link to a Valaji ragam sung by Sri. Vairamangalam Lakshminarayanan, for those who haven't already listened to it.

https://soundcloud.com/lakshmi-vijayara ... lam-valaji

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Heard his Dharmavati - Bhajana Seya Rada - in youtube yesterday. Hooked on to it. Can't stop listening to it again and again especially the anupallavi segment.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

HarishankarK wrote:Heard his Dharmavati - Bhajana Seya Rada - in youtube yesterday. Hooked on to it. Can't stop listening to it again and again especially the anupallavi segment.
The entire concert that is available in youtube is great. Each one is a GEM. A GREAT ARTIST who left us at a very young age ! A big loss to CM

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

ram1999...he was 76..of course he was very young and fresh mentally till the end...the youtube concert was recorded and year or two before he dies..