T.R. Subramaniam

Carnatic Musicians
venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

God bless raju sir!! he uploaded it on his Xdrive a couple of years back, after I made a small request for TRS tracks on sangeetham bboard. This concert has since then been on my list of OMG concerts!! :D

I could write a page about this concert, easily. But i dont want to run out of adjectives!!

watch out for this classic poruttham in khamas... SNDN SDPD SPMP S manasa ramuni... aaaha!! TRS vaazhga!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Venkat,
That was awesome. Thanks!

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Great stuff. The swaraaksharas (TRS's forte) are brilliant and instructive as always. Only wish the violin accompaniment was better. Sounds like a small audience kutcheri.

Thankyou, Venkat.

gsn

Post by gsn »

Coolji,

thanks for the AMAZING video of Sri TRS! :) Aha..

any chances of you uploading excerpts of TRS accompanied by the one and only LGJ sir? :)

-g

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Venkatpv
It is early morning here in chennai and this concert is cruising past the 60 minute mark now.
And there is this feeling that cannot be captured in words.And as always, I am amazed at that singular feature which takes a rendering from the ordinary to the sublime.So hard to describe..
Manodharma..
Such a Fine Expression......
And onto a Kapi...

gsn
yes why not.you can cetainly look forward to it .

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

coolji,
i am surprised i had this concert which you didnt have!! early morning kaapi... good for u!! :D

wait till you get to that stunning dhenuka outpour and the amazing sowkhyam of surati, yamuna kalyani and bageshri... thillanas, when TRS sings them, are not insignificant pieces... i can recall those beautiful b.saranga and desh thillanas... bageshri isnt far behind

jayaram,
almost every song rendered in this concert has swaraksharams. the one in surati... PARIMAlamu takes the cake... reaching upto the tara sthayi madhyamam!! who else can think of it... or execute it so well!! awesome

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

wow! just heard reetigowla...did he reach the upper Ni?
now hearing khamas

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

venkat
DONT ASSUME THINGS FOR GODS SAKE !!!!

I wonder how much more is there !!!!!:)

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

not much more. i am sure of that ... atleast from my side!! ;)

prashant

Post by prashant »

Beautiful video of the great Sri TRS.

I will never forget TRS Mama sitting down to breakfast at my house - my mother put some steaming hot idlis in front of him and bustled off to the kitchen to get the sambar and chutney. She took a few minutes coming back, and TRS Mama called out 'vEgam koNDu va! nalla pakkavAdyam illAma kutchEri eDukkAdu!' [For those who do not understand Tamil, what he said was 'Bring it fast, a concert cannot take off without good accompanists!']

Such a a humorous and gentlemanly person, and a force to be reckoned with while teaching. At home, he asked me to sing a song in kalyANi - I sang unnai allAl of Sivan and TRS Mama directed me to sing swarams at 'nIyE mInAkshi' - after a few avartanas by me, he sang quite a few rounds of swarams with simple mathematical permutations all beautifully exploiting the swaraksharam. Such fantastic and imaginative swarams in 1st and 2nd speeds - aha! It is my eternal regret that I did not record that session! He is a real genius.
Last edited by prashant on 05 Jan 2007, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Coolkarniji: is this an RTP in vasantA???

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

prashanth
that was so impolite of me isnt it ?
just to put the few minutes and leave it at that !:D

I will prise out the mp3 from the video and put it up.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Not at all impolite Coolkarniji - more like whetting out appetite for the bounty to follow :-)

prashant

Post by prashant »

Who is the violinist in the video clip?

The kamAs and dhEnuka swarams in this concert are simply stunning. The violinist is in complete give-up mode :-). Now on to kalyANi.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

violinist in the video clip is VVS...

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... ndara.html
Found this awesome concert.
What is Ugabhoga? is it Viruttam?
Very beautiful rendition in hamirkalyani -could not catch all words-followed by Guru purandhara. Is it his composition?

His kannada is so good. Is he a kannadiga?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

suji ram,

ugAbhOgas are compositions of haridAsas, that do not tie to a meter (They are similar to vachanas in this aspect). They do not have a pallavi/anupallavi/charaNa structure like padas, and suLAdis. They may have dvitIyAkshara prAsa though.

These are normally sung without laya just like shlOka/viruttam, and may precede rendition of a dEvaranAma (although it is really not a must). Many singers sing a ugAbhOga, and then follow with a dEvaranAma elaborating on the same theme.

The hamIrkalyANi piece (dIna nAnu) is not a ugAbhOga; It is a shaTpadi from haribhaktisAra (AFAIK), a kAvya written by kanakadAsa. So is the other composition shown as ugAbhOga in Ananda bhairavi in the listing.

In the same concert, the item #7 - tambUri mITidava and #12 - enna kaDe hAyisuvudu are ugAbhOgas. You may note he is singing them with laya. That's why I said they are *normally* sung without tALa ;)

As you pointed out, his kannaDa is flawless!

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 11 Jan 2007, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

His kannada is so good. Is he a kannadiga?
TRS is very much a Tamilian. His enunciation of Telugu and Kannada (and Sanskrit) is impeccable, I am told. A favorite of mine is his rendition of Ramakrishnaru manege bandaru in Tilang.
Last edited by jayaram on 11 Jan 2007, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks Ramakriya,
They all are so sweet to the ears.
So it is ugAbhOga. I thought it was something to do with swinging Uga...

And whose composition is Guru Purandhara?

The one in Lalit sounds like shubapantuvarali.
Last edited by Suji Ram on 11 Jan 2007, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Suji Ram wrote:And whose composition is Guru Purandhara?
vijaya dAsa ; his mudre is vijaya viTThala

He was instrumental in collecting works of Purandara dAsa. He lived about 200 after Purandara dasa.

Suji Ram wrote:The one in Lalit sounds like shubapantuvarali.
graha bhEda at work ;)

lalit is the panchama mUrchane of shubha pantuvarALi
Conversely,
shubha pantuvarALi is madhyama mUrchane of lalit

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Here is a good film song in rAga lalit

http://www.udbhava.com/udbhava/songs.jsp?id=349

The song is 2nd in the list - kannIra dhAre - sung by Dr. Rajkumar

-Ramakriya

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Ah! graha bheda!

Could not listen to the film song even after login-

lalit does sound filmish rAga.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

As for as I know, u don't have to login to listen - Just select the song to play, and click play!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

No luck , says page not found. I always visited this site and listened without login

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Suji Try this link

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/sJK ... As1NMvHdW/

Have you heard "rAghavEndra daya tOro" By Maharajapuram Santhanam. (It was in a commercial release). That is also lalit

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

drshrikaanth wrote:Suji Try this link

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/sJK ... As1NMvHdW/

Have you heard "rAghavEndra daya tOro" By Maharajapuram Santhanam. (It was in a commercial release). That is also lalit
Thanks DRS, Im listening
No haven't heard the one by Maha Santhanam. Should be in MIO I guess

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Suji Ram wrote:Should be in MIO I guess
You guessed it right :-)

rAghavendra daya tOrO

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/eUO ... As1NMvHdW/

It is listed as lalita, but indeed it is lalit.

-Ramakriya

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

ramakriya,
does lalit have a sampurna aro-avaro??

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Lalit has both madhyamas and no pancama. SR1G2M12PD1N3S* | and back.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Lalit has a very strong graha on Ni, and often skips shaDja
so it may be even better to represent it something like

N3 R1 G2 M1 M2 D1 N3 S - R1 N3 D1 M2 M1 G3 R1 S

You can find more info about lalit from an expert, and many more clips from

http://www.sawf.org/newedit/edit03052001/musicarts.asp

-Ramakriya

p.s: Moderators ! Too much discussion on lalita! May be better to move the last 10 or so posts to Ragas ana Alapane thread.
Last edited by ramakriya on 11 Jan 2007, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

This is prompted by Mahesh who had invited requests for "TRS Mama's" concerts - well anything already not posted above would be duly lapped up - specific ragas elaborations:

Kharaharapriya
Sahana
Begada
Durbar
Mayamalavagowla
Any uncommon Samvadhi Mela - Dhenuka, Bhavapriya, Sarasangi, Gowrimanohari,Natabhairavi etc.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

For starters, here is a RTP in Karakarapriya for your listening pleasure.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/M6mSegCtQa95TA%3D%3D

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Yochana in Darbar.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/M6n6qCwIUTl5TA%3D%3D

Now I really need to get away and do some work :)

Hope you like the tracks.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks Mahesh!

avichinnu

Post by avichinnu »

Dear Venkat,
I would be extremely grateful if u could please reupload the TRS-1982 concert.[TRS-1982 concert
no details about accompanists. [Link dead-http://www.rogepost.com/n/4533876405]
thanks,
avi

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

here you go... TRS-1982

http://www.rogepost.com/n/2380139936

avichinnu

Post by avichinnu »

Dear Venkat,
Thanks a lot for that wonderful concert. TRS performed long ago in my place and his rendition of "thamboori meedtidava..." in sindhubairavi is still green in my memory.
avi

gb

Post by gb »

I take immense pleasure to be in this thread... because i have known TRS Mama for more than a decade and the first time when i got to know about him, it was my dad who introduced him to me and said in my ears "Here is one vidwan for whose concert all senior vidwans would come and sit on the first row in the music academy to grasp as much as possible..."
as i came late on this thread i missed most of the best once that you guys posted.. can you please help in reposting them.. I will soon come with my own collections...

P.S: T.R.S Mama likes sweets a lot.. which he mentioned me during a eve when we were eating at the Narada Gana sabha

gsabari

Post by gsabari »

Hi everybody,

I missed to download Shri.TRS Mamas stuffs.Please upload them again.

anatha kodi namaskarams
gsabari

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

gsabari wrote:anatha kodi namaskarams
It will be "anatha" until someone heeds your request :D

gnaniskanda

Post by gnaniskanda »

hello all,
going thru all the posts, it is really heart warming to see that true musicianship is respected and recognised by true rasikas. What an artiste this great man TRS is! A complete musician, a master of both lakshna and lakshiya gnana. I know that I am too young to post this comment, but when it comes to listening great masters we tend to loose our "self" and feel elated with them. How come, TRSji could render all sections of music so perfectly? astounding it is! the way he elaborates the raga, for that matter any raga he handles, the rendering of the krithi, the diction, unbelievable! the neraval, the vital part, the soul of a kutcheri pattern, WOW! he is overflowing with manodharma and last but not the least, the swara patterns - the single avartana swaras is really exciting with the unique patterns and combinations to link the lyric of the song and the sarva laghu swaras with a final grandeur finish! As we all know that TRSji, is a master, not only in the above said departments, he is totally laya personified. The precision with which he presents a pallavi with the tanam preceding it, MY GOD - what a tanam he sings! astounding!!! the various talas he takes up to render pallavis, the trikala, tisra and other gathi bedhas are incomparable. TRSji has a great fan following. A LEGEND who's vidwat will stay for ever!
Karma.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

HOORAY !!!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

a fine clip of TRS up on the 108 legends thread.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

Dear Venkatpv, Sir: can you please upload the 1982 TRS concert and the other one with Raghavan as accompaniment?. God bless you.

Regards

P. G. Aiyar

prashant

Post by prashant »

Coolkarniji: the TRS stuff you have given [unwrapped late by me only now] is creating a furore at my residence. We are on an all-TRS diet now for a few days with different family members fighting [amicably!] to select tracks for listening!

I must ask - any chance of that vasantA RTP :-)

learner

Post by learner »

I tried downloading the lec-dem of TRS on RTP singing only to find that I was browsing the messages posted in the year 2005-06! Is it possible to pleeeeeeease upload the RTP lec-dem again? Can someone help me in this?

vasya10

Post by vasya10 »

Last edited by vasya10 on 12 Apr 2007, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

learner

Post by learner »

vasya10, Thanks a million!

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

13-4-7

To : Vasya

Can you please upload the TRS concert 1982 again and the other one with Ramnad Raghavan in case you have?. God bless you.

Regards

P. G. Aiyar

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »