T.R. Subramaniam

Carnatic Musicians
Sundara Rajan

Re: T.R. Subramaniam

Post by Sundara Rajan »

What is the raga of the pallavi by TRS: "VinAyakam vignEshwaram vandEnisam varam varadaram vAraNam" ?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sir, please give an audio link. I will listen and try to identify it.

talalaya

Post by talalaya »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 10:19 What is the raga of the pallavi by TRS: "VinAyakam vignEshwaram vandEnisam varam varadaram vAraNam" ?
"TRS The Great" has sung that Pallavi in quite a few ragas. I remember a Sastri Hall concert in the late 70s (Not sure) with T. Rukmini, Upendran & a very young Harishankar, where he sang this in Kalyani in Misra Triputa, Khanda Nadai..

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Thank you Sachi_R and Talalaya for the response. I do not have the audio of the concert of Gayatri Venkataragavan in Tampa,FL on Oct.15, where she sang this Pallavi. I missed her initial announcement of the raga, but later she said that this wold be a pallavi by TRS. It sounded like Mohana KalyaNi to me, but I was not sure. The violinist also played Kapi during the Alapana, adding to my confusion ! It was a very good concert that I enjoyed very much.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Today Oct04th,2018 is TRS mama's Death Anniversary
------------------------------------------------------------------
What can one say about Thiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramaniam or Taala Raaga Swaroopan that his stock mrudangam accompanist kamalakar Rao told once about shri TRS.

Personally one of my top two biggest regret is not hearing TRS sing a live concert. In late 80's when my periappa in Delhi introduced and said he is TRS - a carnatic musician . I asked TRS mAmA do you sing like santhanam. Strange question then, but now I keep asking the whole world does any one other than (MMI-SSI-GNB and may be few more) ever sing with such verve and manodharmam like TRS. I personally owe a lot of rasikatvam to Taala Raaga Swaroopan .

A rare Thyagaraja krithi Lakshanamulu in suddhasAveri, I only knew about this krithi few years back when I wrote a review that abhishek sang. I then came to know thru the forum that trs sang this lovely krithi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GvFdMAPoCM

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:23

A rare Thyagaraja krithi Lakshanamulu in suddhasAveri, I only knew about this krithi few years back when I wrote a review that abhishek sang. I then came to know thru the forum that trs sang this lovely krithi
There is a TRS National Prog of 1970s where in he sang this piece with a few others. totally about 6/7 kritis, limited alapana/swarams etc. TRULY BEAUTIFUL CONCERT and a young and vibrant voice.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Greatness about TRS music that I wrote way back in Jan 2010 when mahavidwan TRS just completed his 80th birthday

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22239&start=250#p153454

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

FB memory triggerred thoughts on the gerat man and his music kept lingering through the day. I made a blog post based on it: https://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.c ... ering-trs/

alpajnani

Post by alpajnani »

varsha wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 08:12 Is there a recording of that?
---
how time flies !! A decade ago we christened this track as the 1234 demo.
And it lives on....
https://archive.org/details/trs--pallavi-1-2-3-4
From listening to this I believe this actually is the audio track of a video recording. Does anyone have the video version?

Thanks,

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 22:32 FB memory triggerred thoughts on the gerat man and his music kept lingering through the day. I made a blog post based on it: https://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.c ... ering-trs/
lalitharam
Most of what you wrote possibly i already knew any way thanks for rekindling those memories . The rendition of bharatha janani by palakkad sriram shows his abhimAnam even voice texture is bit like TRS mama. Ideas just kept pouring in all directions and they were indeed blessed to see TRS mama in action. Thank you palakkad sreeram for capturing the intense musical drive of taala raaga swaroopan.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

rajeshnat wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 21:40
parivadini wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 22:32 FB memory triggerred thoughts on the gerat man and his music kept lingering through the day. I made a blog post based on it: https://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.c ... ering-trs/
lalitharam
Most of what you wrote possibly i already knew any way thanks for rekindling those memories . The rendition of bharatha janani by palakkad sriram shows his abhimAnam even voice texture is bit like TRS mama. Ideas just kept pouring in all directions and they were indeed blessed to see TRS mama in action. Thank you palakkad sreeram for capturing the intense musical drive of taala raaga swaroopan.
Rajesh,

It would be impossible for me write something that you wouldn't know on Shri. TRS :-)

sankarrj

Post by sankarrj »

Namasakarams Everyone! Shri Kunnakudi Balamuralikrishna Sang this Pallavi in TRS mama day concert this week. RTP Starts at 1:47:00
https://youtu.be/A25HhRUaZB8

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

After many years of chasing , i finally got the information from TRS mama's daughter that Thiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramanyam was born in Madras . He was born in a house near Armenian street in Parrys(Mannady), Chennnai. TRS born in madras drifted to 9 different navagrahas ranging from Parrys-Mannady-(1),Tiruvidaimarudhur-(2), mayavaram-(3), kumbakonam-(4), trinelveli-(5), vijayawada-(6), delhi-karolbagh(7),delhi-universitycampus(8) and back to Chennai- Annanagar(9).

If you think the above info on different grahas is useless here you have a very useful link to get back to Taala Raaga Swaroopan with his graha balam emi???

grahabalamEmi - revagupti- T .TRS coartists are Seshagiri Rao(Violin), Trichur Mohan (Mrudangam) and unknown moresing artist(some one can let us know the morsing artist)

https://youtu.be/jyPLPSahOr8?t=826

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Hanumath Jayanthi just got over . Who else is a better representation to dedicate to Lord Hanuman than the one and only Thriuvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramaniam . Superbly assisted by younger Trichur Mohan . Thanks to violinist Seshagiri Rao sir pranams . shri rao played way back in 80's or 90's and more importantly uploaded this gem . I just set the time of the RTP to begin with Taanam with Mrudangam , the real testimony of any vidwan/vidushi to show their maruthi-Intelligence and Hanumath-VocalPower. go on from the taanam to pallavi lines on Hanuman and the super spectacular kAnada and spectacular revati swaras.

https://youtu.be/PpeFbxvLdMY?t=820

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 09:03 Mahavidwan TRS used to render teliyaleru rama in his inimitable style. Here is one link. TRS with TRukmini and Karakudi Mani.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ngi79gt2 ... s.mp3/file
Rajesh, I have solved your problem.
Thank you See Rama,
I just reheard Rama with the rendition of Taala Raga Swaroopan . What confidence ,he is not fragmenting swara kalpana with any violin returns. TRS mama's 3 unwritten rules are as follows
1. I am Taala Raaga Swaoopan and I am running a manodharma race especially in swarakalpana.
2.Let me see if mrudangist say karaikudi mani or kamalakar Rao can catch up with me
3.Let T Rukmini or VV Subramaniam during those swarakalpana movements become a tambura artist or play along violin artist and not be a violin return artist and fragment my cohesive ideas with near zero violin returns .

What swaras and what ideas from this jambhavAn TRS. Dhenuka must have got a fresh coat in 60's to 80's after the most popular semmangudi srinivasa iyer rendering his dhenuka . Atleast in dhenuka swaras, TRS was higher than SSI. My lifes biggest regret is not hearing TRS and SSI in a live concert.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

https://www.facebook.com/srividyacal/vi ... 2ODY2NDI3/

Thanks to Calcutta K Srividya who is the daughter of violinist Vasantha Kannan. The clipping is a 1988 USA concert of Taala Raaga Swaroopan accompanied by Vasantha Kannan and Trichur Mohan.

Rewriting a bit more contextually the above post !!!!
rajeshnat wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 12:02
TRS mama's 3 unwritten rules are as follows
1. I am Taala Raaga Swaoopan and I am running a manodharma race especially in swarakalpana and I am GOING TO SING DHARMAVATI SWARAS.
2.Let me see if mrudangist Trichur Mohan can catch up with me .
3.Let Vasantha Kananan - violinist during those swarakalpana movements become a tambura artist or play along violin artist and not be a violin return artist and fragment my cohesive ideas with near zero violin returns .

What DHARMAVATHI swaras and what ideas from this jambhavAn TRS .

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:23 A rare Thyagaraja krithi Lakshanamulu in suddhasAveri, I only knew about this krithi few years back when I wrote a review that abhishek sang. I then came to know thru the forum that trs sang this lovely krithi
A truly sparkling rendition. It is too bad that the uploader has cut out the equally sparkling classical-TRS-style svarakalpana that follows that rendition!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Oct04th,2019 is TRS mama's Death Anniversary
------------------------------------------------------------------
Today , October 04th,2019 is sixth anniversary since Tiruvidaimarudhur RajagOpalan Subramanyam alias Taala Raaga Swaroopan passed away.Kudos to this mahavidwan who was born in mannady near Armenian Street -Parrys in 1929 and passed away in Annanagar on October 04,2013 . Mahavidwan TRS was born in Madras and died in Chennai.

I wrote a post long time back thinking through a lot about this great TRS on his 80th birthday. Check viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22239&start=250#p153454 .

One of the point that i wrote then was that TRS was a Master of Untested Unheard krithis of very popular Vaggeyakkaras like Sadguru Thyagaraja.Here is another krithi as a proof that i discovered a day back, a rare kovvur pancharathnam krithi in the melakartha #65 ragam .

nammivacchina-kalyANi-Thyagarajar-rUpakam-T R Subramanyam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-uT2lTQSnk

RSR

Post by RSR »

@rajeshnat
Sir, I would like to suggest that the sections on Composers / Musicians,
can have a biography introduction (preferably sticky). I have read through all the posts on TRS in this topic but yet to get a clear picture about his life journey . I liked your explanation for the 'T' in his initials.
Without fragmenting this thread, I request you to attempt a biographical sketch in correct chronology , about Sri.TRS.
Sri.Muni Rao @munirao2001 should write about Sri. Sandhyavandhanam Srinivasa Rao.

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

RSR
Thanks for your interest of SSRao, a forgotten maestro. Link to my article on SSRao is: http://www.carnaticindia.com/profiles/S ... a_Rao.html

RSR

Post by RSR »

munirao2001 wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 17:42 RSR
Thanks for your interest of SSRao, a forgotten maestro. Link to my article on SSRao is: http://www.carnaticindia.com/profiles/S ... a_Rao.html
Respected Sir,
I hope that you may not object if I give the link and some excerpts in the thread on Sri.S.S.Rao.
Best Regards.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Tribute for #TRS91- #Lalgudi90
---------------------------------------
I remember collating some time back the info of TR expansion of Thriuvidaimarudhur R]ajagopalan Subramanyam when he moved on in 2013 with all of you. Also it took many many years where TRS mama's sister told TRS daughter who finally relayed to me that TRS was born in madras. I am assuming only MS Gopalakrishnan was born in mylapore and TRS was born in mannady, for a change 2 great supernovas not born in the banks of cauvery in either Tanjore or Mysore belt, Tamirabarani , Godavari or bharathapuzha belt . Hooray Madras Day in future can be celebrated with TRS and MSG.

Every 3 letter subrahmanyam is a supernova be it SPB or TRS. I also recollect i posted some time back for the first time an interesting info . The info was in vocal kutcheris , TRS mama was the first performer to sing Lalgudi thillana in a live vocal concert. . The mahavidwan TRS also quite an accomplished vageyakkara sang then the Desh Thillana of mahavidwan and mahavageyakkara Lalgudi Jayaraman. I am assuming i am right and only later say may be TNS , or students like SP Ramh all performed later. I am not 100 sure , if I am wrong- some one can correct it . Merely being elder does not mean TRS did it , but it is likely that LGJ thillana for the first time came only through TRS in a vocal concert.

I personally never had a chance to ever meet LGJ in person. I and coolkarni planned but LGJ was bit not well so had to skip. Missed and lost the opportunity in my life of meeting LGJ . But TRS mama knows me in person for atleast 8 to 10 years before he moved on. I curse myself that i had a chance in 1980s when I had a chance to hear TRS in a live concert in Delhi. I did not hear and willfully skipped. TRS and my Delhi periappa who passed away this year were close friends in Delhi since TRS mama moved from vijayawada to Delhi .TRS has personally told me in person that Lalgudi Jayaraman romba periya vidwan and vageyakkara and his musical mind is so sharp .

TRS mama and LGJ indeed mutually admired a lot .

Mahavidwan TRS singing thakadhim ta dheem (tanjam nin) - Desh - mahaVageyakkara LGJ Thillana
https://youtu.be/Y4WadIrMeXI?t=54

Exclusive tribute for #TRS91
------------------------------------
Many a days i feel bit fed up/lose interest in film music and also get fed up/lose interest with many many carnatic vidwans and vidushis. I always feel at that point why there is no verve or not enough carnatic classical ideas. During those times may go to say 5 to 10 vidwans and vidushis .Very Likely TRS and his rendition will be there and i feel an urge to hear his rendition .

Few times I have distincly said to TRS Mama "TRS Mama you are also a great singer , summa summa donot just keep on talking only about GNB". ""TRS Sir may give some counter and we will move on" .

There is a 8 mins hindolam alapana and then Dikshitar krithi with swaras.The first link is the full song link and the second link is where he starts with the song , just in case you dont have time for alapana for hindolam. Intense classicism with every turn be it lyrics , raga alapana , swaras in absolute kalpana . TRS brims with tightly leashed layam and raaga bhavam.

Taala Raaga Swaroopan singing
Neerajakshi(R,S) - Hindolam - NaadaYogi Muthuswami Dikshitar
8 mins alapana with no violin return and 8 mins swaras

https://youtu.be/q7NsYDZ9GL0?t=538

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7NsYDZ9GL0

Homage to TRS seventh Death Anniversary.

maheshram

Post by maheshram »

Rajesh I believe Voleti garu was singing Lalgudi Mama's thillanas as early or earlier than TRS Mama. And perhaps Nedunuri Garu as well not sure (M. Santhanam and TNS may also be in the fray). We can ask LGJRK and LV and see if they know.

Nevertheless your other glowing comments stand true. TRS Mama was a brother in all ways other than blood with my grandfather Sri KS Mahadevan so became as a member of our family esp late in life. They attended so many kutcheries together in the last decade of their respective lives that when no one could track down my GF'd whereabouts, they would try and reach TRS! The pre-modern version of 'find my iphone' was 'find my 90+ YO GF via 3rd parties'. They also took long walks together rapt in conversation, and I was once fortunate to be alongside them both in RA Puram, as they discussed mostly matters that had nothing to do with CM from English writers to politics. TRS Mama was a Renaissance man and musician. I agree that his GNB mania sometimes got the better of him. I felt his music soared when he shed that singular influence to a large degree and cast his own stamp.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

maheshram wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 22:06 Rajesh I believe Voleti garu was singing Lalgudi Mama's thillanas as early or earlier than TRS Mama. And perhaps Nedunuri Garu as well not sure (M. Santhanam and TNS may also be in the fray). We can ask LGJRK and LV and see if they know.
I forgot the source , but after your post , i referred TRS hard copy sruthi magazine exclusive writeup that came up in Nov 2013, few months after TRS death.

There is a question and answer done by R Swaminathan.
Question : What In Lalgudi Jayaraman made you admire him so much ?
Answer By Taala Raaga Swaroopan : Just relevant snippets . I came to know Lalgudi Jayaraman from his early years...... TRS says
"I listened to Lalgudi Pallavis , the ones that i heard earlier appeared as trash to me .In each concert he would play a different pallavi . I would visit his home ,learn the sahiya , goback vocalise and practise . He enchanced my depth of pallavis . His varnams and thillanas gave a new status to these forms .I could take the credit for being the first vocalist to have sung his thillana in concerts
Bit later in interview Lalgudi calls TRS and asks "Did you sing my thillana in Desh at coimbatore". Lalgudi said he received many letters of rasikas post TRS singing thillanas."
~~~
It is not too clear which was the first thillana that TRS sang of Lalgudi . I am conjecturing it was desh. Also no year was put . There is a possibility that TRS mama may have sung bit later than especially voleti /nedanuri /TNS . There is a recording of Lalgudi pahadi thilllana of Voleti singing in 1979. I am assuming it is likely TRS mama may have sung even before that is my calculated guess.

About MKR-TRS :
----------------
On a side note , once in queens your appa MKR sir talked with me and he went gA gA with TRS mama. He particularly likes TRS mama handling of suddha dhanyasi subramanyena .MKR then in 2011 analytically pointed out how TRS sings bit differently with venkateshwara line eduppu for swaras in suddhadhanyasi. He also mimicked like TRS.

TRS is perhaps one of the most analytical vidwan/vidushi ever, quite likely MKR may be one of the most analytical rasika ever . Atleast I can extrapolate one very likely reason of how they got it .Both considered GNB as their super O super star.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Desh was the earliest Lalgudi tillana I heard from TRS- in the seventees.

I have never heard any Lalgudi tillana sung by Santhanam or TNS - nor do I have in my collection of recordings. That Charukesi varnam was the staple fare in Santhanam concerts.

maheshram

Post by maheshram »

Rajesh I bow to your historiography! If TRS mama AND Lalgudi Mama agree on something it must be so! Glad to know further that it was the Desh thillana. Yes, Voleti sang the Paahadi thillana a few times - the 1978 KGS concert with Trichy Sankaran a particular favorite concert (one of my top 5 but I digress)

Yes my father appreciated TRS Mama's music a great deal. Much as someone once said of Lalgudi Mama that he was Lalgudi "R aka aaru" Jayaraman (6 avatars: accompanist, soloist, guru, sishya, composer, vocalist), the same could be said of T "Aaaru" S: composer + vocalist + scholar + guru + sishya + laya genius!

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

maheshram wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 22:06 Rajesh I believe Voleti garu was singing Lalgudi Mama's thillanas as early or earlier than TRS Mama. And perhaps Nedunuri Garu as well not sure (M. Santhanam and TNS may also be in the fray). We can ask LGJRK and LV and see if they know.

Amongst the various thillanas composed by Lalgudi, the Pahadi and Rageshri was composed upon specific request by Voleti and Nedunuri. These thillanas have been rendered by the 2 giants as early as 1970s. In one of the write ups it is said that Lalgudi presented the pahadi thillana to Voleti and it was further embelished by the 2 jointly.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

We know for sure right now that Voleti and TRS mama performed in seventies atleast one Lalgudi thillana each. Seventies starts in 1970 and ends in 1979. Pahadi thillana recording of voleti is available as of 1978. Also santhanam has taken.

Crama ,
There is a santhanam-LGJ-VelloreRamabadran 1978 recording available where santhanam has sung
Thilllana - tAnOm tana tOmta dhiranA (Bala GopAlA yamunA)- dwijavanthi - Lalgudi Jayaraman
https://youtu.be/LuTTdfy2zow?t=7902

Two 1978s(voleti and santhanam) and let us hear from you CRama as to when TRS sang the desh thillana of LGJ. Do you recollect a year atleast the approximate year in seventies?.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

rajeshnat wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 14:34 We know for sure right now that Voleti and TRS mama performed in seventies atleast one Lalgudi thillana each. Seventies starts in 1970 and ends in 1979. Pahadi thillana recording of voleti is available as of 1978. Also santhanam has taken.

Crama ,
There is a santhanam-LGJ-VelloreRamabadran 1978 recording available where santhanam has sung
Thilllana - tAnOm tana tOmta dhiranA (Bala GopAlA yamunA)- dwijavanthi - Lalgudi Jayaraman
https://youtu.be/LuTTdfy2zow?t=7902

Two 1978s(voleti and santhanam) and let us hear from you CRama as to when TRS sang the desh thillana of LGJ. Do you recollect a year atleast the approximate year in seventies?.
Seventies starts in 1970 and ends in 1979 - That is good to know !!
How does it matter if they sang in 1971 or 1973 or 1978 ?? :lol: :lol:

CRama

Post by CRama »

There is one Bombay concert of 1968 where TRS has sung Desh Tillana

maheshram

Post by maheshram »

Rajesh thanks for the link to the MVS rendition of Dwijavanthi thillana. How the violin sings along talk about vocal effect of an instrument! You can almost feel the joy of the composer playing his own creation?!!

I think in my parents house in Queens (which sadly i cannot get to due to Covid travel) there is a TRS concert (cassette tape!) where my chittappa has accompanied him on mridangam in the late 60's. I think he starts with a Behag varnam from Calcutta KSK (Sanjay's guru). But now my curiosity is killing me - what thillana did he sing? (since it was in that same time period). Ah dratted Covid you are impeding us once again!

CRama

Post by CRama »

Here is a video of the function where TRS is awarded Sangeetha Chudamani by KGS. Exhilarating speeches by NVS, SRJ, Yagnaraman etc. The speech by TRS is a cherishable one by the TRS fans. Pl see the video.

https://youtu.be/Cdyi7GScaF0

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

CRama wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 15:01 Here is a video of the function where TRS is awarded Sangeetha Chudamani by KGS. Exhilarating speeches by NVS, SRJ, Yagnaraman etc. The speech by TRS is a cherishable one by the TRS fans. Pl see the video.

Heard this speech and concert yesterday morning. Beautiful speech by Sri SRJ, his command over the language (Tamil / English), the diction and knowledge. Fantabulous. TRS's speech was just a minute of so but crisp and humble ! NVS and Yagnaraman - as always great.

followed by the concert - a concert to cherish !! - Kapi, Kalyani Pantuvarali .... SUPERB

Lalgudi's speech had it been available, that would have added beauty to the whole recording !

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TRS -1989 Sangeetha Choodamani awardee
----------------------------------------------------

What a joy to listen to TRS felicitation function of 1989 where trs is awarded prestigious sangeetha choodamani . Thanks to prolific youtube uploader PrakashRao Narayanan and Crama who gave this link

1. NV Subramaniam , the phenomenal secy of saraswati vaggeyakkara spoke wonderfully about Trs. It was just truncated

2. The extraordinary Prof SRJ spoke brilliantly . What choice of words , right mix of english and tamil . Very very impactful. superb speech you have to preserve it for life.

3. TRS mama has so much humility. He just brushed as though some one else got this prestigious SC award from SKGS

4. You can see so many great musicians like Calcutta krishnamurthy,PSN, TVG and slightly younger generation vidwans like srimushnam, Dr Radha venkatachalam etc all honouring TRS . He was celebrated, each of them felt if TRS cannot get this award who else can get it .

5. The concert of TRS mama was cute . see the vathapi swara poruttam . The second krithi is I think in harikambodhi , I had no clue and have not ever heard this Thyagaraja swami krithi "vallagAdanaka sItA". See TRS mama , he continues to showcase his brilliant musical analytical mind in presenting a rarest rare krithi when the concert was just a small one post his felicitation

6. This felicitation was in 1989 in SKGS . In years 1988 and 1987 two years back , i went by tamilnadu express to meet my delhi periappa . My delhi periappa and TRS mama were very close , my periappa Vishwanathan passed away this year at the age of 86. He told me one thing few years back , for many many years we all in delhi never knew TRS greatness and we all thought he was more a teacher. He himself was only arranging and bringing more concert opportunities for many musicians at delhi and in turn helping them to have a AIR or DD recording etc. Many considered him not a big star like musicians who came from madras to perform then. My periappa knew him and he and TRS lived in same karol bagh which was much much before 1980s which i had not seen , I once asked my delhi periappa then does TRS sing like Maharajapuram santhanam when there was a chance for me to hear him in delhi. My ignorance then , i missed possibly the only live concert that i had a chance to hear TRS . I skipped the concert and went with my cousin to Nirulas icecream parlor in south extension as those days getting that quality icecream was not possible in madras . Lifetime opportunity missed to hear a TRS live concert.

7. Like ram1999, I also would have been very happy if I had heard LGJ speech on TRS. May be there was a pallavi after the last half recorded sundara tara deham in pantuvarali. May be TRS mama took sundara tara deham to show his obeisance to his favorite GNB.

8. In TRS mama speech , in the audience the great semmangudi was also there. TRS in his speech said his father rajagopalan approached Semmangudi and was initially thinking TRS can study sanskrit or something . Semmangudi said NO NO , let TRS continue his music studies in madras music college . Semmangudi pushed TRS under the tutelege of Musiri. Those years all the performing musicians like semmangudi did push Musiri who retired early as a music college principal . In turn Musiri picks up super stars like TRS , SRJ , TKGovindaRao , Suguna V , Suguna P etc . How thoughtful musicians were , putting music far above their chelas. This is absolute integrity for preserving art and pushing merit . Hope that honesty comes back today.

9. @rasaali vidwan Vinay , is that you in violin along with Kamalkar Rao.
What a jambhavan was Taala Raaga Swaroopan , the one and only Thiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramanyam

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

TRS spent quite a number of years in Vijayawada and has teamed up with Voleti in producing some of the best music programs. Govinda sundara mohana the bhadrachala ramadass kriti in dwijavanti was set to tune in the AIR studios by Voleti and supported by TRS.

TRS with Kamalakar Rao have travelled to the nook and corner of Andhra Pradesh between 1960s and 80s to perfom and spread the art form. A truly great and an himblle musician.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Another outstanding concert - a full video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4F1dxhizzg

CRama

Post by CRama »

Rajesh, Vallagadanaka- TRS has sung in many concerts. Also Madurai Somu, Nedunuri, R.K.Srikantan etc.The charanam sahithyam is in Madhyamakalam and is a tongue twister.

In this KGS concert, the violin is by Peri Sreeramamurthy.

Many concerts of TRS are being uploaded recently in yt by Prakashrao Narayanan.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

--
Last edited by ram1999 on 02 Dec 2020, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 15:01 Here is a video of the function where TRS is awarded Sangeetha Chudamani by KGS. Exhilarating speeches by NVS, SRJ, Yagnaraman etc. The speech by TRS is a cherishable one by the TRS fans. Pl see the video.

https://youtu.be/xTaY2jmRlx8

The above link is part2 of the same trs choodamani concert where trs mama ends with Lalgudi sir's bhageshri thillana.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Singing in one go sarvalaghu swaras or say taanam with zero intervention of violin return and only with mrudangam nadham in one go in the so called madhyamakaalam is perhaps the best of carnatic music.The sarvalaghu has to be atleast 4 plus minutes in one go.

The order of my live concert acclimatization ,chronologically say since i heard intensely say from 2000 plus is just 8 stars that just come in my head right now. This is sarvalaghu downpour without kanakku and intense classical patterns, all in one go mostly with a steady mrudangam and mandated zero violin return(there could have been few kanakku sprinkles before this one downpour just for build up after all vocalist has to refresh a bit). Those 8 single vocalists in the order that i chronologically heard say from 2000 onwards in live concerts are

TN Seshagopalan
TM Krishna
Suryaprakash
Sanjay Subrahmanyan
Abhishek Raghuram
Amrutha Venkatesh
TNS Krishna
Abilash Giriprasad

I kick myself that i have never heard even once a live concert of Thiurvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramaniam who has preceded the above avatars as the 9th avatar . ChArukEsi in all its glory in sarvalaghu swaras is a life saving Oxygen Cylinder in todays situation. I have no idea about this mrudangist Kumbakonam Padmanabhan . I just googled to find he is the student T R Srinivasan (Is veteran Tanjai T R Srinivasan the same as the mentioned T R Srinivasan and is he the same guru of Padmabhan , some one can confirm)and Tiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam and he is perhaps settled even now as faculty of Delhi Music College (that is why he is not known by many). OFcourse Delhi Sundarrajan in violin is so well known. TRS mama is singing this unadulterated steady state CharukEsi swaras in one go , how can this magician have so much muse in head and also drain out all of that from head in one go.

Kept the pointer exactly from the start of the final downpour, when you have time dont miss charukesi and his unique rendition of AdaModi (R,S)- charukEsi - T . Else atleast spend just close to 5 mins only in this downpour

https://youtu.be/6k-VARJK-4M?t=1481 TRS@Shanmughanandha sabha@Mumbai , 1993 accompanied by Delhi Sundarrajan and Kumbakonam Padmanabhan

CharukEsi is the only proven corona and covid 19 shield with zero side effect, preferably take it from Taala Raaga Swaroopan. !!

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Krishna Gana Sabha award function speech and concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL4sjpqbue0

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

MaheshS wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 23:57 Krishna Gana Sabha award function speech and concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL4sjpqbue0
May be you missed before the post . i also wrote this
viewtopic.php?p=368135#p368135
Ofcourse let us call bit differently TRS (not as Taala Raaga Swaroopan) but as Taalam Raagam Swaroopam from Thiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramanyam , we always discover a new facet of the supernova .