Seetha Narayanan

Carnatic Musicians
HarishankarK

Seetha Narayanan

Post by HarishankarK »

Would like to know more about this artiste. Unable to find information on her in google except for a few concert reviews in The Hindu.
Few things i know :
a. She is a bhajan expert
b. Pure traditionalist
c. Her voice is still in very good condition - sruti adherence, singing many sangatis, neravals; despite her age

sureshvv

Re: Vidushi Sita Narayanan

Post by sureshvv »

Here is the brief bio from the Charsur handout at their mid-year music festival:

Born in Jamshedpur in a family with great love for music, Seetha had her initial training under Kasy Viswanatha Bhagavatar (a product of Swathi Thirunal Academy, Thiruvananthapuram, then headed by Dr. Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer). Marriage to a senior railway officer meant transfers. Seetha, however kept her interest in music alive and when she moved to Chennai had the benefit of grooming by stalwarts like Nagercoil Harihara Iyer, P.K.Rajagoapla Iyer (eminent musicologist and Disciple of "Tiger") and Sangeetha Kalanidhi Dr. S. Ramanathan and since 1988 by eminent Vidwan Sri Chingelput Ranganathan.

She has been broadcasting from the Chennai station of AIR since 1973 and in the "A" grade since 1983 and was recently elevated to the A-Top grade. She is also proficient in Hindi Bhajans. Her proficiency in every aspect of concert presentation, clarity of sahitya, grip over laya, have earned for her several prestigious awards. Seetha's concerts and lecture demonstrations have been featured by leading organizations all over the world. Her fluency in many languages and deep-study of music related subjects make her lecture demonstrations very popular.

As a dedicated teacher she has groomed a number of talented students who are making a mark in the concert stage.

harimau

Post by harimau »

As he was leaving a concert by Smt Seetha Narayanan, the late Sri T R Subramaniam said to me, " Romba gauravamana pattu". (Music filled with gauravam..... Meaning she doesn't pander to the audience.)

But that is not necessarily what the sheeple want.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

"But that is not necessarily what the sheeple want."
Well Said!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

She is an expert in Bajan singing. I have heard her concerts several times. Her knowledge in theory is enormous and very good in lec dem. Few years back she explained in DD Podhigai the pattern of singing Thanam in Trivandram style in the isaiyodu nan program.
Thanjavooran
10 11 2013

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

harimau wrote:But that is not necessarily what the sheeple want.
Baaah, humbug, perhaps? :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

You get The Hindu review in the delhi edition and due to dearth of concerts does it mean they will even review AIR recording. Review of hers in The Hindu dated May 18th 2018.
http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 918154.ece

I have heard her just once or twice live, nice artist.

rajeshnat

Seetha Narayanan

Post by rajeshnat »

Lalitharam does everything right excepting one which I have discussed before and also with him.
Brilliant interview of a very underrated vidushi. It is in thamizh. I have heard atleast 4 to 5 concerts that i reviewed of Vidushi Seetha Narayanan ,.Semmangudish ideas in considerably slower pace . Thanks to especially Late Arusuvai Natarajan who gave quite a few chances in his sabha in egmore.

You can also be born in Jamshedpur and still be a great vidwan/vidushi as long as you have one kasi viswantha bhagavathar who trained with semmangudi did stay in Jamshedpur. More importantly there should be a small sabha that pools money and invites artists to perform live concert (no streaming and webcast).Kudos to vidushi Seetha since moving out of Jamshedpur she also moved to chennai in 1970 and then continued to get trained and really become a sparkling vidushi

https://solvanam.com/2020/11/08/%e0%ae% ... %e0%af%8d/

Interview is long , but take your time and read over hours and days

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
Change the title from Vidushi Sita Narayanan to Seetha Narayanan Like #8 at the top thread title. If possible do a few mins scan where in vdiwans and vidushis topic, we have few titles referred with honorifics , remove that horificsplease .They are a source of duplicate threads as it takes effort to search which we donot realize when duplicate happens but later discover. Even when i posted i did recollected that i posted some time back an info on this vidushi. I first searched seetha and then searched narayanan only the second i got the result

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

rajeshnat wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 16:54 Mods
I first searched seetha and then searched narayanan only the second i got the result
so what is the big deal about it :roll: :roll:

RSR

Post by RSR »

A wonderful interview . Brilliantly presented. @parivadini Thank you.
Nice photos. too.
She is 77 now and so of my age more or less.
Particularly happy that she has mentioned Smt.MS, Smt.DKP, Smt.NCV as her favourites besides Smt.MLV.
My regret is that an English translation of the interview is not given.
It should reach awider audience.
and thanks to Rajesh for giving the link.
I am posting the SOL VANAM link in eminent rasikas and critics section also.