M.S. Subbulakshmi

Carnatic Musicians
param

Post by param »

Let us exchange our collections on MSS

param

Post by param »

I will send links of a few devotional numbers by MS tomorrow as a New Year's gift to all

meena

Post by meena »

param

Where are the links? New yr has come and gone ;)

param

Post by param »

sorry meena - Thanks for showing interest in this thread. I have been out of my main operating hub - i.e. my den at Thana (where I have housed all the music) due to the New Year Bash, etc., I hope to be back in the cave this Saturday. Do bear with me till then.

Thanks,

Param
PS: I work chiefly with the Russians and their Christmas is tomorrow and their New Year is on 13th of Jan But will definitely upload it before this date.

param

Post by param »

That was Bhaja Govindam by MS.

The one coming next is Venkatesha Suprabhatam.

param

Post by param »

param

Post by param »

edited as requested by srkris

meena

Post by meena »

param

thanks but arent these recordings commercially available? I do have CDs, just wanna make sure.

apart from u/l we would like to hear interesting anecdotes etc. that u know.

param

Post by param »

Meena/Srkris,

I also had a feeling that some of these at least (if not all) are commercially available - which is why I opened up a folder at rapidshare and an storing it there - trust this would not be called a foul.

Anecdotes - hmmm - have a lot - may be I need to put it down as text files and then keep uploading one after the other

Cheers,

Param

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Param,

Please dont share commercial/copyrighted stuff, whether here or anywhere. Just a request.

param

Post by param »

srkris,

edited as requested. Give me two days and the stuff on rapidshare will also be deleted. I am asking two days, since a pal of mine wants to download it today/tomorrow.

Thanks for your understanding.

Cheers,
Param

param

Post by param »

I will be uploading some Meera Bhajans sung by MSS for our listening pleasure. Enjoy

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Param, I hope these are not from commercial releases.

param

Post by param »

Some of these are film songs

param

Post by param »

And my source informs me that these have been recorded when broadcast on the radio

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Param,
The Bajan's that you posted are all not mIrA's:
Tracks 1 and 2 are mIrA's
Track 5 is a kabIr Bajan
and the remaining tracks (if memory serves me right) are compositions of sUrdhAs.
Ravi

param

Post by param »

i merely reproduced what was written on the cd - if I am wrong, I accept it.

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

What can one say about the Immortal MSS Amma, that has not already been said by thousands of people from all walks of life, both the great national leaders like Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru, as well as by common rasikas who have been captivated by various aspects of her music?
It is said that when Gandhiji heard her sing the Narsi Mehtha bhajan, "Vaishnava janato tene kahiye",( the truly religious are those who have great compassion for the sufferings of the poor), tears welled in his eyes and he was choked with emotion.And on another occasion, when Gandhiji wanted MSS to sing the meera bhajan, "Hari Tum Haro", her husband, the Late and Great Sri Sadasivam, replied that she was not aware of how to sing this bhajan, since she had not learnt it.Gandhiji replied that it was enough for him to hear MSS speak the words of the bhajan, even if she did not know the song.This was indeed a great tribute from the Father of the Nation to the intense bhava, bhakti and emotional spiritualism in her voice.This incident happened in 1948, and later on MSS went on to master this bhajan and made it nationally and internationally famous with her soulful rendition.
It was also a tribute paid by Jawaharlal Nehru, "I am but a mere Prime Minister, who pales into insignificance in the presence of the Queen of Music and Nightingale of India".
What distinguished her music from numerous other vidwans?
Her perfect Sruthi alignment, complete mastery over laya,creativity which combined classical tradition with a high level of innovation, her core of bhakti and bhava-- these were the hallmarks of her music.She had the capacity to both enthrall the hardened music experts and critics, as well as be able to reach out to city commoners and even villagers.
And talk about the great philanthropist that she was!. She gave unstintingly to various social causes like the Kasturba Gandhi Memorial Trust, Ramkrishna Math, Sankar Netralaya, Subramanya Bharathi Trust etc.She earned crores of rupees through her public concerts, but had the golden heart to give it all away to charity and social causes.Even the royalties from her recorded albums went to charities.There can never be another parallel to this kind of munificence in the music world.Of course, she was guided and inspired in this philanthropy by her husband, Kalki Sadasivam, who was totally instrumental in shaping her post-marriage musical career and was himself a great freedom fighter and philanthropist.
Awards and titles came to her without soliciting them, and culminated in her being awarded the Bharat Ratna by the then President, K.R.Narayanan, who personally phoned her to convey the bestowing of the highest honour of the nation on her.She was overcome with emotion on hearing the news, and replied that she was sad that her Late husband was not alive to share the joy of the award, and she accepted the honour in all humility.And this humility was what characterised her personality more than anything else.She was exemplary in her modesty and humility inspite of her unparalleled achievements.
Her passing away in Dec.2004 has left a void in the CM world which can never be filled by others.But the immortal music treasure she has left behind for posterity will make music lovers exclaim even after 1000 years, that such a great soul did walk the face of this planet and left her remarkeable imprints on the sands of time.

Navaneet

Post by Navaneet »

hello all,
i am a die-hard Bhakta of M.S.Subbulakshmi. recently i came across this
list of M.S.S. mp3 songs. some of the songs seem to be rare renditions
by Amma. the songs are: SrI gaNapatinI-saurAshTram, tsAlakallalADU-
ArabhI, sEshAcalanAyakam-varALI, O jagadambA-AnandabhairavI,
paripAhimAm nRuharE(?)-mOhanam, entO prEma-SuruTTI, dEvI jagatjananI-
SaNkarAbharaNam, nenaru~ncinAnU-mALavI, tuLasI jagatjananI-sAvErI,
vAtApI gaNapatim-hamsadhwanI, dEvAdidEva-sindhUrAmakriyA, kshIra sAgara-
dEvagAndhArI, dakshiNAmUrtE-SaNkarAbharaNam, sUrya mUrtE-saurAshTram, &
also possibly Amma's Sangeetha Kalanidhi Kutcheri at the Music Academy,
Dec. 1968 (the whole kutcheri). anybody out there who has any or all of
these songs/concerts (or knows somebody who may have them), then plz
mail me ASAP!!! my email id is n_v85@yahoo.com.
this is a heart-felt cry sent out!! plz dont ignore my
plea!!
regards,
Navaneet Venkatesan.
p.s.: if anybody has other rare kutcheris or seldom-heard songs of
Amma, not mentioned here, plz do contact me!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

navaneeth
here is your life jacket ! do not panic.Help is on the way.

http://rapidshare.de/files/16024858/ms- ... akriya.mp3

keep watching this space

Navaneet

Post by Navaneet »

hello mr coolkarni,
thanks a MILLION for such a prompt reply!!!!!!!!!!! :D i just can't find words to express my utmost joy and deep gratitude for ur utterly selfless action of help!!!!
i shall remain indebted to u for the next 100 Janmas i guess!!!!!
regards,
Navaneet Venkatesan.

Navaneet

Post by Navaneet »

hello mr.coolkarni,
that pallavi in mayamalavagaula was simply out of this world!!! i know this is too much to ask, but wud u possibly have the ragam & tanam parts too, maybe even the whole concert??? its simply WONDERFUL!!! thank u u just made my weekend!!!!
regards,
Navaneet Venkatesan

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

That was an old upload i posted , in a hurry.Was it mayamalavagowla really?and it didnt have a ragam thanam-let me check it up again tonight.

anyway i will try to keep posting tracks which I think are rare -in the sense we dont assoiate them with MS immeditaely- or with some other special feature , like the ones below -one where she sings while playing the veena and the other from a radio recital.
Also do keep an eye on the "thematic concerts "thread for some more MS uploads.

http://rapidshare.de/files/16374449/033 ... _Veena.mp3
http://rapidshare.de/files/16375383/177 ... -Manji.mp3

a request to other MS experts on the forum.
I would be doing my best to ensure that uploads here are not commercial releases , but please do alert me if you feel otherwise.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

howdu coolkarni

The pallavi is in MMgauLa. Do upload rAga and tAna in this wonderful rAga.

And the mAnji piece is part of the AIR release(cassette and CD).

Navaneet

Post by Navaneet »

hello mr coolkarni,
yes the ragam is Mayamalavagaula, and NOT Nadanamakriya, as Amma very clearly sings even in the Tara Sthayi, touching the tara Sthayi gandharam. that cannot be done in Nadanamakriya, as its a nishadaanti raga, as u very well must know. also its only the pallavi, the ragam and tanam sections seem to be truncated into different tracks. plz do try to secure them, it wud make a good, complete listen. one more thought, i think, that AIR rendition of Ramachandrena Samrakshitoham in Maanji is commercially available, but i may be wrong. plz do check.
many thanks,
Navaneet Venkatesan

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Manji Track
Off it goes now.
Thanks.

Navaneet

Post by Navaneet »

btw that track, Chetasri-Veenai, is it also a full concert recording?? i can make out that its been done possibly informally, at Amma's place. but towards the end of the track, another song, Nee Sati Daivam, a daru Varnam in Sriranjani, begins but the track gets over before even the anupallavi begins. cud u possibly (i know that at this juncture i must be sounding greedy!) upload the rest of the concert too, if u happen to have it, and its not too much of a hassle. the recording quality also seems to be remarkably good. the reason why i am badgering (for lack of a better word) u so relentlessly is that, on the 14th of April, 2006 (our Tamil New Year), it will be 11 years since i met Amma!!! my friends suggested that i hold a listening session of Amma, since i already have quite a collection of her music; nothing much, its just an informal session that i am conducting at my place, for some near and dear ones, just to see how things go, and how its received. thats why i am hankering after as many rare recordings of Amma as i can lay my hands on! ofcourse my collecting passion will never cease. but i must thank u, i was desperately searching for a Veena rendition by Amma, amongst other things, and u gave it straight to me!!! no matter how much i thank u, it wud remain insufficient. but rest assured, that my happiness and the happiness of my audience on the 14th, will definitely assure u Swargaloka at the end of this mortal janma!!!!
many thanks and best wishes,
Navaneet Venkatesan

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I am not sure if this is from the same RTP, but here is Smt. MSS's RTP in mAyAmALavagowLai:
http://rapidshare.de/files/16423763/10_ ... i.mp3.html
Ravi

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Sounds like the same pallavi. This one has the last two beats to complete the thala avarthanam.. ;)

Can someone confirm/correct this: Is the thalam Kanda Jathi Thriputa?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

navaneeth

sorry .I do not have the tracks for the concert (with the veena).In fact I have only one more track with veena ( i remember to have picked it up on napster before it was forced to shut down )
http://rapidshare.de/files/16425062/206 ... Veena_.mp3

Nee sati , however I will upload a concert version.
Good Luck for your Aoril 14Th celebrations .I will upload only the tracks that I feel are a bit rare.
Here we go with two beeeautiful renderings

http://rapidshare.de/files/16427127/216 ... varali.mp3
http://rapidshare.de/files/16394804/044 ... rvani_.mp3

vasanthakokilam

deleted

Navaneet

Post by Navaneet »

thank u mr.coolkarni, ms.vasanthakokilam & mr.ravi shankar for ur wonderful unstinting efforts to answer my plea with ur wonderful contributions!!!! u r really true RASIKASHIROMANIs!!!!! thank u thank u thnk u!!! i am sure my small programme on the 14th will become a roaring success with ur priceless, matchless contributions! ms.vasanthakokilam, plz do send that mayamalavagaula recording of Amma, it would be just wonderful!!! also the talam of the pallavi is Khanda Triputa, ur right!!
Ungalukkellaam En Manasaara Vaazhtugal!!!!
God bless you all!!!
Navaneet Venkatesan

vasanthakokilam

deleted.

Navaneet

Post by Navaneet »

thanks a ton ms.vasanthakokilam!!!! Smt Shanmukhavadivu's recordings r indeed very rare!!!! i think i shall open my listening session with this recording. thank u very much!!!!
Navaneet Venkatesan

Navaneet

Post by Navaneet »

hello mr.coolkarni,
the track Sri subrahmanyaaya Namaste-Veena seems to be incomplete. only the pallavi is there. the length of the track is 3:17!!! do u have the whole track??? if yes, cud u upload it plz??? hope its not too much of a hassle!!!
regards,
Navaneet Venkatesan

Navaneet

Post by Navaneet »

hello mr.coolkarni et al,
moderators of rasikas.org have sent me a warning mail, banning all further uploading of music on the rasikas forums. hence, i sincerely request u all that if u have to send me any more wonderful, rare renditions by Amma, plz do send it directly to my email ids: n_v85@yahoo.com or navaneet.krishnan.venkatesan@gmail.com. i shall do the same, when i come across some good renditions too. lets respect the management, lest they get peeved and kick us out or something!!
trust to hear from u all really soon,
Navaneet Venkatesan

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

M.S. with Sundaresa Iyer and Trichy Shankaran in RLV Academy, Tripunithura

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

After the above concert with husband Sadasivam and others.

kriasshnan

Post by kriasshnan »

Can somebody repost the devi neeye thunai and Sringagiri sons of M.S. Alternatively, pls mail me the links to kriasshnan@gmail.com

kriasshnan

Post by kriasshnan »

Hai Navaneeth,
Earlier in this forum, you had mentioned of having a few rare renderings of Smt. MS. Can you share with me those links. I am also a lover of her songs. Your list of songs seems to be impressive. Looking forward for a quick and positive reply from you.

Thanks in advance.
kriasshnan

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Another beautiful snap of a beautiful person.

vasanthakokilam

Stunning...

Thanks for posting it.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Face filled with 'lakshmI katAksham'!
Ravi

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Saraswathi kataaksham too..

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

There have been several biographies of Smt MSS, esp. since her death. Several of these are really well written, but essentially deify her. The biography by TJS George (MS: A life in music, pub: Harper Collins) was a book that claimed to be different. Actually, I started to read it with trepidation, wondering what scandalous past would be revealed. It is a wonderfully written book, and reading it made me respect Smt. MSS even more. And, I also realized what an extraordinary man Sri Sadsivam was. In fact, I read it at one go through the night a couple of years ago when I was visiting my in-laws in B'lore. If you have not read, put it on your 'must read' list.
Ravi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Two images from two ends of the timeline!
The first picture is a still from Meera - I am certainly not surprised that villagers in Rajasthan mistook her for the real mIrA when they saw her singing through the streets!

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Is that book available commerically?

meena

Post by meena »

kiran

DELETED
Last edited by meena on 07 May 2008, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Cheers Meena!!!!