Vidushi Sumithra Vasudev

Carnatic Musicians
ashwin_anand

Vidushi Sumithra Vasudev

Post by ashwin_anand »

AWARDS & ACCOLADES GALORE TO YOUNG SUMITHRA VASUDEV IN DEC MUSIC FEST

Dear All,

It gives me great pleasure to highlight the wonderful achievements of the young vocalist Sumithra Vasudev during the just concluded December music season. Sumithra, the prime disciple of Sangita Kalanidhi Smt R Vedavalli was awarded the First Prize for her Lec-Dem on "The role of Gamakas in Carnatic Music" presented in the morning academeic session of the Madras Music Academy on Dec 27th. This is a wonderful accomplishment since there were as many as over thirty Lec- Dems given by very many Senior Musicians and Musicologists during the 15 days Conference sessions. The fact that this was her debut in this category makes this achievement even more laudable.

Besides this, her Vocal Concert given on the afternoon of 21st Dec '11 at the Music Academy, was adjudged as the best Concert in the Sub-Senior Category and awarded the First Prize. She received both these two Awards for Dr. Y.V. Reddy Former Governor of Reserve Bank of India who presided over the Sadas of the Music Academy, Madras, held on Sunday, the 1st january 2012 .

On the same evening of 1st Jan at the function held at the New Woodlands, The Brahma Gana Sabha, Mylapore, honoured her with "Washington Prof. Shiva Kumar Award" instituted recently for young Talented Musician.

Further, the Cleveland Tyagaraja Aradhana Committee have chosen Sumithra vasudev for their newly instituted "Sangita Kala Ratna Award" for young musicians to be bestowed on her at their Music festival to be held at Cleveland, U.S.A. in April 2012.

It is indeed heartening to see this wonderfully talented, dedicated and scholarly young musician get the accolades she deserves. She is indeed a worthy torch-bearer of the great legacy of Smt R Vedavalli, who is for all of us a beacon of light in the world of Karnatic music.

Ashwin Anand
Vainika and disciple of Vidushi R Vedavalli

rshankar

Re: Vidushi Sumithra Vasudev

Post by rshankar »

Thank you for the write-up. Kudos and best wishes to the young vidushi!

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Nice writeup! I have been to couple of concerts of hers and they were classical, traditional and without frills. Indeed a worthy disciple to a great musician. Happy to know that folks in NA will get to hear her music. We need the vidushi to visit Bangalore!

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

gardabha_gana wrote: We need the vidushi to visit Bangalore!
Well, she was here couple of times in last 3-4 months. Once at Nadasurabhi and once at Indiranagar Sabha ( sang instead of R Vedavalli).

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Those were the couple of times I heard - and liked the way the concerts were rendered. The song selections were very good - uncommon songs of the trinity were sung in a very pleasant way. I meant to say we need more of those!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Very nice writeup of a terrific vidushi - she is truly going in RV way.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... ertainment

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Very nice article. Thank you :)

Sumithra carries the sense and feeling of her great teacher when she sings, but she is a great artist in her own right --- which is reflection of the greatness of the teacher.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Sumitra Vasudev will have her own dedicated listeners.She has a gradual tempo build up in the concerts and has become a true successor to Guru R Vedavalli.Recognition will be gradual and slowly the sabhas should give more opportunities to the Vidushi.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Last December, she had more concerts than I was able to get to. I'm told that she was achieved considerable recognition as long as ten years ago, but took time off for mothering, and had to regain lost rungs on the ladder: I think she has, largely, done so.

She is a heavy-weight artist. She is never going to draw the crowds in the same way as some others might, but, by heavy-weight audiences, she is much appreciated.

I experienced another generation in the parampara a few days ago with a concert by Sumithra's student Swathi Ravichandran. :)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Recent SVBC concert on Adi Sankara's birthday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfFLxEN ... e=youtu.be

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

gardabha_gana wrote:We need the vidushi to visit Bangalore!
I am told that she is giving a concert in Bangalore this July ('16) accompanied by Ashwin Annand on Veena. I don't recall the date.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Yes, I am told it is on July 17.
I like the "veena bheri" song in this TTD concert. THANKS KVC!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Oh good... I didn't note the date, as I don't think I will travel that far even for a unique Vedavalli-school concert.

They were going to do one here last November, but it was rained off.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Writeup of vidushi Sumithra Lecdem on chaturdandi prakashika dated Dec 21st,2018 in The Hindu.
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 788496.ece

rajeshnat

Sumithra Vasudev

Post by rajeshnat »

The Hindu review of Sumitra Vasudev concert dated Dec 24,2021
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 411184.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The Hindu review of Sumitra Vasudev concert in naadainbam dated April 22,2022

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 341688.ece