Madurai Somu

Carnatic Musicians
param

Post by param »

Does anybody have Somu singing Bantureeti and Marugelara? I am still to hear any other person singing to the class of Somu.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://rapidshare.de/files/7429885/marugelara.mp3

http://rapidshare.de/files/7430205/somu ... anadam.mp3

watch out for some great collaboration with lalgudi and the laya artists

param

Post by param »

That's cool - coolkarni. Any more versions under your belt?

Also check for my posts in tala vadya section

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

A on-off recording of Somu:

http://rapidshare.de/files/11053700/06_ ... raajar.mp3

Cheers
Ninja

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

what is an on-off recording please ?
Something that you turn on and it turns you off ??

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Chembai!
He does deserve a memorial stamp in his honour!

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

kulkarniji,

I meant one-off :)

Ninja

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Some photos (courtesy coolkarni):

Chittoor Subramaniam Pillai with young Madurai Somasundaram, 1940s

Madurai Somasundaram with M. S. Gopalakrishnan, Karaikudi Mani and Mayavaram Somu

mantra

Post by mantra »

who is the mridangist in this picture?
Regards
Shyam

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

very nice! Thanks

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.

param

Post by param »

mantra,

its mentioned there - Karaikudi R Mani

abadri

Post by abadri »

A short introductory talk on Somu from an AIR tribute program (in Tamil)
[rapidshare link deleted]

abadri

Post by abadri »

The rest of the AIR tribute broadcast

[rapidshare links deleted]

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Srkris,

There is yet another thread on Somu under General Discussions. I suggest the following:

(a) That thread under GD can be clubbed to this;
(b) The respective songs uploaded may be transferred to the Audio Folder.

Sorry to bother you.

Kaumaaram

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

He is one of the best though not fully honoured. Here is an interesting ancetode. In a concert (conducted by Palalvi Narsimachariar at Tambaram), he arrived late (11 pm) since he had sing in another concert in the evening. The concert started at 11.30 pm and he was in no mood to finish even at 3 am. My mother got up to leave at the end of a song. He immediately said. "Ukkarugo, Kapi thane venum" and sang a brilliant Kapi.

By the any info about Pallavi Narasimachariar considered to be a doyen in Pallavi singing & composing. I know that KJ took care of him in his last days.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Somu performing...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

a small but sweet track to go with the photo.such lovely touches of malkauns..

http://rapidshare.de/files/19192359/som ... a.mp3.html

When it comes to re-creating the period , nothing to beat a black and white photo.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

I've been categorizing some Somu concerts. It is interesting, but I came acroos some interesting facts. Unlike a lot of musicians, Somu in his RTPs, elucidates the syllables of the pallavi line, and I assume this gives a clear look into the talam (not that I have understood THAT completely yet!!!)...

I also came across a few pallavi line in which Somu changes the last word every now and then, which some other word of the same number of syllables. I thought this was unique, as I've never heard any other performer do this.

Somu also probably is one who includes a lot of unknown/self composed compositions in his concerts. I have a hard time finding the composers of a lot of his renderings.

Any comments?

Cheers
Ninja

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Was just listening to an RTP. The pallavi line was "Adudhu Adudhu mAmayil koovudhu koovudhu poonkuyil murugA guhArandRu namakkaruL puriya vaDapazhani"

two funny incidents... at the beginning of the pallavi, just as he completed "Adudhu Adhudhu mAmayil," a kuyil started it's song...

second was at the end of the pallavi, he showed his humor... ended with "Adudhu Adudhu mAmayil koovudhu koovudhu poonkuyil kuviyidhu kuviyudhu cheeTTu"!!!!!

This is from a concert entitled "somu - vadapazhani"....

Cheers
Ninja

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

It seems Sawai Gandharv used to teach his disciples individually and never in a group.His belief was that a Malkauns sung by Bhimsen Joshi was totally different from a Malkauns sung by Gangubai , even though they had the same names.

In CM Somu was the closest who came to this line of thinking.
No two shanmukhapriyas or Todis (his most favourite ragas ) are alike.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

an interesting purandaradasar devaranam by Somu , sung elaborately

Nara Janma Bandaga in Khamboji..

http://rapidshare.de/files/23327634/Som ... ha-new.mp3

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Just thought Madurai Somu,cannot go with the general link titled 108 vidwans. I knew him little personally as I used to play tennis ball cricket with a bunch of boys in a area by name Lake Area in Madras where he lived. I recollect his smile and I used to think that he only sings maruda malai mAmaniye murugaiyA then. When he utters murugA in any of his viruttams , I get charged instantly.

Lot of people (atleast my relatives)misunderstand his vidwat and have a mindset that he is not a great carnatic singer in true classical sense .This is pure nonsense to me.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 14 Dec 2006, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

http://www.rogepost.com/n/4914399165
has a soothing neraval by somu ,for upacharamu..in the company of msg-trichy sankaran.

Shri sOmu's home page is http://groups.msn.com/MaduraiSomuHomePage/

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.rogepost.com/n/6524626463

http://www.rogepost.com/n/7588076537

Here are those two lovely tracks I was mentioning in the 108 legend thread.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

coolkarni ji,
Do you have any personal connection with sOmu. Perhaps if you have , please throw some light? Take your time to reply. I know you can also pull Shri Raju AsOkan who is somewhere hidden deep inside the unknown rasikas.org cave.

Once when I was talking with arusuvai natarajan, the famous catarer and a sabha patron in Egmore's kalakruthi sabha. He gave a very dotted line and an excellent anecdote about sOmu as he was almost his closest friend.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 14 Dec 2006, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

manakkalsriram

Post by manakkalsriram »

Sri Somu was one of the rare unique vidwans who had perfomed continuously for seven or eight hours with full throated voice having amazing stamina. His performances were so enjoyable and entertaining. Usually you don't like to hear artists speak during the concerts. But Somu's speech would also be like music. While reaching the mel sthayi he would stop for sometime and say 'Muruga'. It will be humour for sometime and then suddenly he will turn to serious music. (both one day match and testmatch combined). He gave all type of exercises to the accompanists and they had a tough time. He was a simple and humble man. Most of the time he would be just travelling in the unreserved compartment in the train and go straight to the Kutchery. He gave a memorable performance for my marriage. He voluntarily came and pinched my cheeks and told me 'Raja, un kalyanathile Naan Than Paduven'
These words still echoes in my heart. He used to tell my father, 'Ungalukku oru Sriram, Enakku oru Shanmugam'. In those days Somu and my father had given almost full night performances in temples in the whole of kerala which is a record. I have accompanied my father on the mridangam from the age of ten frequently to kerala , my school and college attendance being very poor. People would throng to hear in the open. I would play thani avarthanam for almost an hour. Even if it rains they will not leave the place. They will listen standing holding the umbrella. The kutchery would take place from night nine to morning four. Then they will have their famous kathakali. Even a cobbler would listen with rapt atention. If they have a special liking for you, they will give out their hearts to you. They preferred only full throated performances. To perfom here in the open during the whole night was something extraordinary. Not like the usual Sabha performance. Those who had listened to Somu in public performances are really fortunate. I am also one of them. I really missed an opportunity for accompanying him in Coimbatore in the famous Thyagaraja festival in the Venugopalaswamy temple as I could not return in time from abroad where I had been to participate for the concerts of L. Subramaniam during my very young age. I was unlucky.
Some artists are born where you can find no substitute. Somu was one of them.

meena

Post by meena »

sriramji

Such fond memories - thanku for sharing them with us :)

Thanks to rajuji/kji have watched few clips of sree somu in action. U are right, he sure gave a wonderful performance.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Can someone help me with identifying the composer and raga for the following rendition by Shri Somu:
sundarEsvara kailAsanAtha
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3c7ckx

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The rAgA is madhulikA and I think it is his own composition but I am not sure.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

>The rAgA is madhulikA ...
Thanks, Lakshman. Do we have more info on this ragam? Are there any other kritis in it?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

There are two scales given for madhulikA:
mELA 26 - SRMPDNS/SNDPMRS
mELA 27 - SRGMNS/SNMGRS

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Based on the swaras rendered by Shri Somu in this song - esp the extensive use of panchamam, it seems to be a Charukesi janyam.

pranavam

Post by pranavam »

coolkarni wrote:http://www.rogepost.com/n/6524626463

http://www.rogepost.com/n/7588076537

Here are those two lovely tracks I was mentioning in the 108 legend thread.
coolkarni Sir,

Kindly upload again the above the two.

thanks
Pranavam

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

So many pairs of eyes fixed on a a phrase of music , floating in front of them
:)

raju54

Post by raju54 »

coolkarni
violinist is Ramnathapuram M.N.Ganeshapillai , also in the photo are Pudukottai Mahadevan and also Mayuram Somu-
Raju

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

vkv43034
thumbs up for all SOMU uploads that you can muster.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

VKV- I got your upload through sendspace (uploaded by Sangeethapriya). I got carried away just by the second song itself. Mahaganesham........ Somu never failed to amuse me. Could anyone tell me which raagam is this ?

cacm

Post by cacm »

Ragam is: Bhavabharanam. Thalam: Adi. vkv

vinayo

Post by vinayo »

grsastrigal,
Maha ganesham_Gopikatilakam

cacm

Post by cacm »

vinayo is correct. I just copied the notes; I listened & feel he is absolutaly correct. Thanks & sorry. VKV

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

I went to this link and heard one RTP of Kambodhi. After hearing this, I went beserk and had Kambodhiphobia. I was walking telling Kambodhi, somu.....( like Kamal hassan in Guna (Abhirami,, Abhirami)) . Here, is the link..

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~asokan/C ... 7-04May07/

Excellant recording. All the songs are giant-rendering..

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

phobia ??!!

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

grs:
Why go berserk? (I understand "berserk" as destructive frenzy) If it was good rendering, why kAmbOdiphobia? My heart stopped for a minute thinking Somu had somehow mishandled kAmbOdi!

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Perhaps grs went kAmbOdi-philic!

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

"After hearing this, I went beserk and had Kambodhiphobia." That's my usual state. Kambodhiphilia that is. :-)
Last edited by shripathi_g on 26 Jun 2007, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Thanks for all of you to bring me back to this world. I made wrong statement since I was in an inebriated stage drinking Somu's Kambodhibaanam.:D
Last edited by grsastrigal on 26 Jun 2007, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

The comments were made in good humor, and your love for khAmbOji can be satiated with many more 'rAga pAnams'. You can assume that they were not aimed at you as
'bANams' :)
Last edited by arasi on 26 Jun 2007, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.