Madurai Somu

Carnatic Musicians
grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Where is Kazugumalai ? His prime disciple. Any news.. Any disciples for Kazhugumalai ?
Last edited by grsastrigal on 09 Jul 2007, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

In Valayapatti Kaashyap Naadhalaya Festival, Kazugumalai will be conferred Madurai Somu Memorial Award. At last, I GOT HIM.

In Infosys hall, on 19th, there was a programme called "Ariyakkudi to Semmangudi" concept & Presentation by Dr.Radha Bhaskar. Surprisingly, the list does not include Madurai Somu.. Don't understand why he left our or am I missing something ?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

The program was structured to include the most popular musicians first. MDR was famous but not popular in his time. Eventually they said its not possible to include everyone so they are going to create another program to include the others.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Thanks srkris. Have you (anyone) attended ? How was it ? Want to mention in a separate thread ?

anandasangeetham

Post by anandasangeetham »

I am very ardent fan of Madurai Somu. I am in the process of collecting his videos. Can anyone help me in this regard?

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Look what I found...video clip of Madurai Somu!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV2xZvgPGt8

A real gem...

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

erased the duplicate posting
Last edited by VK RAMAN on 20 Sep 2008, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

One more: rAma nAmamu - uploaded just today! (20-sep-08)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3kz45FzWic

Simply awesome...

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Nearly 2 decades back or even earlier, it was the practice in big Railway stations to play soothing music inthe early mornings. IT used to be veena, nadaswaram,flute or devotional songs. NOW advertisements have taken over. Once Madurai Somu was travelling by NILAGIRI express from CHENNAI TO Coimbatore. As soon as he got down at Coimbatore and started walking on the platform , the clever Railway staff started playing the then very famous song 'Marudhamalai ma maniye". Somu was pieasantly surprised and without any inhibition , forgetting for a moment his status as a great vidwan started singing the song loudly in his melodious voice in utter devotion, sending the passengers on the platform into raptures. gobilalitha

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

viswam

Post by viswam »

who can forget that "Marudhamalai Maa Maniye'.I believe it was Violinist kunnukudi Vaidyanathan who tuned it.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

I am told that he will often visit Kovur(near Porur-Chennai) with a group of musicians and render Kovur pancharatnam in the Sundareshwarar temple.Why not we start such visits to kovur&Thiruvotriyur in chennai to start with?( emulating our forum members Vainika couple M/S.Jayaraj&Jayashree conducting for MD).
* Also being heard" when he and Ramnad Sankarasivam Bhagavathar(guru of Ramnad Krishnan,TNS and myself too) were intercepted by robbers when they were proceeding in the car from Madurai and how both of them had driven the robbers away with their own might without help!"
Last edited by balusatya on 03 Mar 2009, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

skandyhere

Post by skandyhere »

Coolkarni Sir, I shall be highly grateful if you can please narrate a few other stories/incidents from Madurai Somu's life.

Eager to hear more.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

In my street , Murugasramam a place where daily pooja is conducted to the Muruga Idol and bhajans and music concerts are conducted .
Sri Somu visited this place 10 years before . Being a fan of sri Somu , On hearing that sri Somu has come to the Murugasramam, myself and
my mother went to Murugasramam and paid our pranams to him . I requested sri Somu to visit my home . He came to my home. I have hung a frame of Surdas singing with lord Krisna sitting before Surdas and listening to Surdas singing . This photo frame is hung in my hall .

As soon as sri Somu entered the hall and saw the photo, sri Somu stood before the photo for a few munites with closed eyes . Then he said that he would like to sing in the hall one day .

On the lighter side, my mother gave a small quantity of " Narthalaipodi ' .Somu was very happy and said that these items will be available in bramin houses only and he likes to take Thayir sadam with ' Narthalaipodi ' very much . I used to visit the Thyaraja Aradhana festival everyyear then . Definitely Iwill be meeting him at Thivaiyaru . Every time when I used to ask him whether he remembers me . He used to say that " how can I forget you and your mother who have given me " Narthlaipodi " .Such a simple and humble man I can never forget .

S.Nageswaran.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Nice rememberances Nageswaran, Thanks for sharing :)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

This is from Sri Nageswaran (he chose the report option instead of reply, report is for alerting the moderators):

Listening to a live concert of sri Madurai Somu would be like attending a Royal dinner with 101 varieties 0f delicious and tasty dishes of different regions. Even tasting samples of all the dishes will fill up your belly .You would feel sleepy after the dinner and go to bed .However your mind will go through the varieties of the dishes you have tasted. By the time your mental trip is over , you will realize that it is dawn and that you have lost sleep for the entire night.
Every one who has attended a live concert of sri Somu would have felt the same effect.

You would not realize that four and half hours have passed after listening to the energetic and vibrant music of sri Somu.

Starting the concert with Vallaba Nayaka ,Vathapiganapathim etc you will be treated with a rare raga like Jothiswaroopini or Vagulaparanam , will listen to a emotional O Rama Nee Namam Emiruchira . After 2 or 3 small krithis sri Somu will take up a major raga with exhilarating Alapana , Krithi and a long swaraprastara with different nadais and also Ragamalika swarams . After the ThaniAvarthanam ,
You will be taken through an emotionally filled songs starting with Maduraiyai Arasalum Meenakshi Tirupathi Venkatesa ,Ennakavi Padinalum etc . There will be Ragamalika virutham and finaly the Mangalam ."

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Thanks Mr.Cienu .

S.Nageswaran.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Post no67 bysrkris on nageswaran's report about Somu's performance.'O Nageswara!! nee report enna ruchira(sorry ,no disrespect) gobilalitha

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Thank you MRs.Gopilalitha.

In all the concerts of Sri Somu,we all have to say "Sri SOMU Sir, nee concerts Entha ruchira ".

S.Nageswaran.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Rasikas,

I am not able to immediately locate the RMK portion of Sri Somu's concert from my collections where in he has sung Mohanam raga in Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer style for a few minutes and Bade Gulam Ali Khan style of Alap.

Can someone Up load these pieces for the enjoyment of the Rasikas.

S.Nageswaran.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

sri.Nageswaran, your post no70. I am not Mrs. I am S.K,Balasubramnian, I have adopted my wife Lalitha's name who hails from Gobichettipalayam once a beautiful small town in and around which many tamil films were shot. Hope this makes her very happy giving me the forbidden sweets .gobilalitha

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

He was very famous for singing raagas like bhooshanavali, kangeyabhooshani, manoranjitham. The list is exhaustive . gobilalitha

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

. Hi gobilalithaji,

Such errors do happen about the gender when the Real ID is hidden by an assumed name. I am sorry and henceforth I will address the Rasikas with a suffix ji like coolji

S.NAGESWARAN

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Nageswaran, I am very happy you have become a very active member of the forum. Are you from Bangalore? gobilalitha

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Gopilalithaji,

Thank you for your encouraging words. I reside at Chennai and visit Bangalore often to be with my first son MR.N.karthik. He resides at J P NAGAR sixth phase.

Regarding being an active member. Perhaps "a new broom sweeps well" proves the proverb to be true. (To be taken in the lighter sense).

However, having listened Carnatic music for nearly 5 decades as a True Rasika of music, I have assimilated lot of information about music, made friends with musicians, and having a friends' circle of many leanered, simple, helpful gentlemen like Coolji. Perhaps my brain is full and wanted to discharge the many good things stored in my memory. It is also a sort of "Malarum Ninaivugal"

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

ravi2006

Post by ravi2006 »

I was just enjoying an RTP of Madurai Somu in dharmavati from Sangeethapriya. During the alapana there is another singer, a student possibly, accompanying him with a very good voice. I wonder if anyone could identify the 2nd singer? There is an endearing moment where Somu touches the tara sthayi dhaivata and remarks to his student "try your level best"!

http://sangeethapriya.org/Downloads/som ... mavati.mp3

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

sri.Kazhugumalai Kandasami used to give vocal support to SOMU in kutcheris , probably you might have heard him gobilalitha
Last edited by gobilalitha on 09 Sep 2009, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Dear Rasikas, inviting you to a 1975 Concert of Madurai Somu with M. Chandrasekharan-Guravayur Dorai-MAK Murthy-H.P. Ramachar-Nagaratnam posted on http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/.

In many places in our narration, in various posts, we have been introducing hyperlinks to many famous landmarks and people (example Maharaja's college in the current one narrated by M.V. Krishnaswamy one of its great Alumnis) all of which surrounded where "Parvati" once stood and all of which made Mysore such a great seat of culture and learning. The city which once blossomed under the Wodeyar Maharajas was a city of tranquility, peace and grace all of which is disappearing fast and we are not sure of what it is being replaced with, today. We are hoping that through the music, words and historical accounts of some of these men and women who brought happiness through their art, we can still get a semblance of that era. So, please do read some of the links.

cpblog

Re: 1971 Concert of Vidwan Madurai Somu in "Parvathi", Mysur

Post by cpblog »

Dear Rasikas,
It is our pleasure to invite you all again to a "Parvathi" concert of April 5, 1971 with Vidwans Lalgudi Jayaraman on Violin , Palghat Raghu - Mridangam and H.P.Ramachar - Khanjira.
http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Thank you.

mankuthimma

Re: Madurai Somu

Post by mankuthimma »

cpblog
Thanks for all your efforts .
Long Long ago I had mentioned in rasikas about my spending a summer with my aunt in of the rooms in Chowdiahs bungalow.The rooms built for his disciples . Then after a couple of years when I visited Mysore , my friend Dr Narahari took me there by surprise ( He had remembered the postings ) and asked me if I knew that place . And believe me , I was so distraught !!
Memories came flooding in. A young Ambareesh would ask me if I would like a ride in an old car parked in that garage . How little I knew about its owner ! That car would not start by itself . The gate would have to be opened and the car rolled down in neutral gear .but that momentum would not suffice . It would now roll on the main road , down right upto Ballal(?) Hotel and only at the bottom of the road would it have enough strength to kick itself to life . I watched movies at some Gayathri theatre or sat and watched Tennis matches being played in a nearby club .
So I can understand the pain in your words . But isnt it the pain in you bringing out such a lovely site which is a work of art in itself . Keep on and May you have the strength to do the utmost .
Oh ! Boy what a bathroom that bungalow had ! Huge pots ( Handey , we call it ) And the never ending baths . I could bathe my entire street in Nungambakkam today with the water I used for myself . Those bansuris to keep the fires underneath going .
Those kings had some style. One must acknowledge. If their Court Musicians could live that way . And what a garden too.
Memories . Memories.
http://www.mediafire.com/?s6s2npj5692jqcp
I am full of Chowdiah Today . Please rename this track as Manakkal - TC - Madurai Krishna Iyengar instead of GNB-TC

Listening to the power behind Manakkals voice , I cant help wondering about the ravages of time

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Dear Sri "mankuthimma"('avare') or should we say Respected Sri Coolji?

(1) We have not understood the cause of the morphing in your names, but how can one forget the vignette of your earlier posting on your visit to T. Chowdiah's house (such a rare treat).

(2) Just as a record to all the Rasikas here, the house "Parvathi" that we talk of with music and pictures was the late house of the late Sri K. Puttu Rao and not T.Chowdiah's house. We are only offering a form of 'Tarpanam' to its spirit, through our blog pages. Because of Sri. K. Puttu Rao's fanatic devotion to Carnatic music (besides his other love for law where he became one of Mysuru City's most astute defense lawyers), he and T.Chowdiah became very close and respectful friends. Sri. Puttu Rao was also very munificent where music was concerned and he helped T.Chowdiah start the Ayyanar School of Music. They also shared a common platform in their love for the Bidarama Krishnappa Rama Mandiram in Mysore (You will see the inner beauty of this institution in some beautiful pictures posted on the Internet; Rasikas must also thank Prof. V. Ramarathnam's struggle in later years to raise funds and to restore its once pristine beauty). Having grown up in a house which was home to many of the great doyen's of CM, the father's mantle passed on to the son Sri. K. Srikantiah who drove his passion to the hilt. T. Chowdiah remained a steadfast friend to the family of the house of "Parvathi" till his last breath and the family repaid him with tributes in his honor.

(3) "I am full of Chowdiah Today ". Yes, Sir, we respect those sentiments and we have heard from many an elder from those times tell us that amidst all the crowd noise at Tiruvayyaru, there used to be an anticipatory hush and awe to Chowdiah's name and his majestic stride into the platform followed by thunderous claps as he would draw the very first bow to his 'Gandiva', whose instant effect was almost like an electric current passing through. Many a Vidwan who would accept to perform in Mysore, Coimbatore etc.would arrange their calendars according to Sri T.Chowdiah's availability. He was considered by every one of the great vocalists of his times as a true "Pakkavadhya Chakravarthi" [ Rasikas may also refer to Sri Arasi's comments, Sri. Coolji's many comments and those of others in the forums about TC].

(4) We are not sure what you mean here? We have no clue about this loading:
"http://www.mediafire.com/?s6s2npj5692jqcp Please rename this track as Manakkal - TC - Madurai Krishna Iyengar instead of GNB-TC"

(5) Finally, Moderator? We are talking Chowdiah in a Somu forum! If inappropriate, please feel to transfer this post or advise us.

Respectfully,
- CPBlog Team
(in USA, India, Singapore, Australia)

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

CPBlog team
1. Reducing myself to a humble Zero , bit by bit . In any case I no longer stay cool on most of the subjects these days .
Nothing more to the new name .
4.Reading about "we can still get a semblance of that era" I just got carried away by another rare moment with Chowdiah - initially I labelled the track as GNB and later had to modify it , correctly , as Manakkal Rangarjan. Since the tag would continue to show GNB , I thought I should let others know.
5.Yes I agree . These TC related posts can be moved to the Chowdiah thread .
on Second thoughts , Let it stay here . Manakkal and Somu were such great friends.

We shall remain inspired by your efforts to preserve this very rich heritage . Thank you so much.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Shri Raju Asokan has a wonderful collection of Shri Somu's renderings at this link:

http://www.esnips.com/web/MaduraiSomu

perhaps covering the entire renderings of Shri Somu.

venkatakailasam

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

http://www.mediafire.com/?s6s2npj5692jqcp
I am full of Chowdiah Today . Please rename this track as Manakkal - TC - Madurai Krishna Iyengar instead of GNB-TC

Listening to the power behind Manakkals voice , I cant help wondering about the ravages of time
This was wonderful....Chowdiah and Manakkal

ah ah! those kalpanaswaras-really the best. That galloping effect........
Thank you

venkatakailasam

'E'-SWARA-001-Madurai Shri. Somu-O rama entha ruchira-ppoorvi kalyani.flv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDmif4Wnh8

venkatakailasam

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

http://www.mediafire.com/?cq6j1ykk6clr5cb

Venktakailasam
Request you to use this track for mixing and reupload . reethigowla... if you are reading this , this can work as a balm for you . :tmi:

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

mankuthimma sir,
Just a friendly reminder - you promised me more dhanyAsi and if it could be Somu's dhanyAsi, please!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

mankuthimma - Thanks for sharing O rAma nI nAmam - class act.

venkatakailasam

"Request you to use this track for mixing and reupload . reethigowla... if you are reading this , this can work as a balm for you "

mankuthimma Sir,

I am having this with me. As somebody has posted this I, I have not attempted! I will do Mixing to this shortly.
No doubt this will be a balm to us all-rendered so well by Madurai Somu.

venkatakailasam

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

thanks
Real video of somu singing this song . Towards the end of his life , but a very forceful picture of what the man was.

http://www.mediafire.com/?y4aijxb4bbrct
not for the faint hearted Somu fan ;(
Last edited by mankuthimma on 10 Dec 2010, 11:16, edited 2 times in total.

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

Sri Venkatakailasam
I think you should mix for 'enna kavi padinalum' too. The rendering accompanied by Lalgudi !

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

The musical downpour of Vidwan Madurai Somu in "Parvathi", Mysore as recorded on April 11, 1973
with Vidwans Kazhugumalai Kandaswamy (Vocal Support), Lalgudi Jayaraman (Violin), Palghat Raghu (Mridangam)
and Vinayakram (Ghatam).

While this concert is vigorous and the audio effects excellent, it was recorded literally in pouring rain and and in places the music is terminated as the tape could not be restored.

But, please welcome to http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

venkatakailasam

Muruganai ninaindhu-Ragamalika...

composer..not known....radio recording...

rendered by Madurai Shri Somasundaram.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrbv5-cHVSU

vintageaudio

Post by vintageaudio »

composed by Anaiyambatti Adisesha Iyer

venkatakailasam

Thank you...sir..

vintageaudio

Post by vintageaudio »

correction it is in raga- Shanmugapriya

venkatakailasam

I am unable to understand as to why such a brilliant Artist that he was, was not awarded Sangeetha Kalanidhi title??

I am providing three of his renditions...All mind blowing!!

Somu 024-Sri-Raja-rajeswari-Khambhoji.mp-.Madurai Somasundaram..

http://mfi.re/listen/zzwddg3g7c8s3g7/So ... mbhoji.mp3

Somu 004-Sambho Sankara Mahadeva-Raga-JadathariPasupathi Sankara_Dhakshayani.mp3...Madurai Somasundaram...

http://mfi.re/listen/dxu3b8na41cd7ay/So ... hayani.mp3

Somu 016-Alangattil Aadum Ayyan-panthuvarali.mp3..Madurai Somasundaram...

http://mfi.re/listen/c96w9myz6y5s2rx/So ... varali.mp3