Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer

Post by rajeshnat »

There is an anecdote about Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer which perhaps I shared before but still would like to share, perhaps that post is in sangeetham.com:

Vidwan Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer was very close to my maternal grandfather when they lived at few hamlets near kumbakonam and mayavaram , in particular a small village by name tippirajapuram before my Maternal grandfather moved to mayavaram. Once in 50 or 60's MMI had a concert on a weekend day at tirunAgeshwaram .The Previous night MMI was hearing an audio speaker recording , MMI thought his own concert was played , and then it was clarified that this was a concert of Srivanjiam mani iyer.

In early 2000, srivanjiyam mani iyer's only available recording was given by his daughter to my uncle , I was then not that keen on anyone except few stars. If I find it , I will convert and upload them. Incidentally srivanjiyam's concert was arranged for my parents wedding in 1972 , and there is a black and white photograph of him. In my opinion he was one of the musicians who did not relocate from that mayavaram- kumbakonam belt to chennai , perhaps with that went his reach of music to masses.

Srivanjiyam mani Iyer was a near carbon copy of MMI , though not in all aspects as much as MMI.Srivanjiyam was not the disciple of MMI, but more like ekalavaya. But certainly there was impressive music that I heard in that one cassette .Is there any recordings available of srivanjiam mani iyer? - (Attn VKV Sir) ???
Last edited by rajeshnat on 27 Feb 2011, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

mahavishnu

Re: Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer

Post by mahavishnu »

Rajesh, I heard Srivanjiyam at the Ayodhya mandapam in West Mambalam circa 1979-80 or so for the Rama navami festival. I was quite impressed by how much he sounded like MMI; yet it did not seem like a cheap imitation either.

My understanding is that he was very well known in the Mayavaram-Kumbakonam belt; villages like Konerirajapuram had many people quite devoted to his music.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

rajeshnat wrote:In early 2000, srivanjiyam mani iyer's only available recording was given by his daughter to my uncle, I was then not that keen on anyone except few stars. If I find it, I will convert and upload them. Incidentally srivanjiyam's concert was arranged for my parents wedding in 1972, and there is a black and white photograph of him.
Thanks rajeshnat for all the information on Sri Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer. It is great that as an ardent rasika of MMI, he not only admired him, but also excelled in singing like him!
Please do upload the recording that you have.
Also his photograph.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Srivanchiyam Ramachandra Iyer- the elder brother of Mani Iyer- was among the senior most disciples of Mudicondan Venkatarama Iyer . He was the Aasthaana Vidwan of Kanchi Sankara Matham and had the rare privilege of receiving the Paramacharya's blessings in abundance. A true representative of his Guru's style,he was also known for his command over Simhanandana Pallavi and rare uruppadi-s like the kamakshi navaavarana kriti-s of Uthukkadu.
I had the fortune of listening to the Dikshitar kriti Tyagaraja Mahadhwajaaroha (Sri)from the great Vidwan. A Mahaameru of sampradaaya sangitam, he was!!

CRama

Post by CRama »

I am haviang a live concert of Srivanchiyam Mani Iyer- 2 casettes. I have not heard it since ages. I will search and then inform.

kalyani_ragam

Post by kalyani_ragam »

Lovely artist. In many places cant make out if Madurai Mani iyer is singing of it is Srivanchiyam Mani Iyer. excellent manodharmam and voice.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

kalyani ragam
Where did you hear srivanjiyam Mani Iyer , which you have referred in the previous post

veeyens3

Post by veeyens3 »

To think I was pillorie for comparing srivanjiyam mani iyer with Madurai Mani iyer!

cacm

Post by cacm »

veeyens3 wrote:To think I was pillorie for comparing srivanjiyam mani iyer with Madurai Mani iyer!
Dear Sri Veeyens3,
You are forcing me to respond. OPINIONS expressed in certain contexts should not be pursued literally unless they address the technical areas addressed (in my opinion). My opinion- It is one man's opinion- had to do with Technical Aspects & not intended to put down any one.
Actually I am & was a HUGE fan of Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer. I am AGAINST comparisons being made on rather superficial basis & this is what prompted my remarks which probably expressed my views rather strongly.
As a matter of fact I have attended many concerts of Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer & tried VERY HARD to get his concerts arranged in Madras.As an example as a demonstrator in Physics at Presidency College I persuaded him to sing at a Wedding Concert of a friend of mine. He was willing to do it FREE & all we had to do was to come up with train fare for him& his accompanists. I was unable to come up with the fare which probably illustrates my poor abilities in other areas too!......VKV

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear VKV sir ,
I had listened to several concerts of both Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer and Saidapet Sri GN Desikan .
Their concerts were very much entertaining and they both imitate Madurai Mani Iyer . But the sruti maintenance and the sudden flare of genius that we associate with MMI are absent in both of them.
Sri Thiruvenkadu Jayaraman,desciple of MMI , once said in Narada Gana Sabha after playing the tape of Thookia Thiruvadi by MMI , that he can exactly reproduce his master but no one including himself can say what was that 80% that was missing in the effect.

Pratyaksham Bala

Sri Srivanjijam Mani Iyer (1958):-

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Sri Ramachnadra Iyer,elder brother of Sri Mani Iyer was also the head of Muisc in Music college,THiruvaiyAru.My elder sister studied under him.

Pratyaksham Bala

Sri Srivanjiyam Ramachandra Iyer, in this group photo:-
https://picasaweb.google.com/bhagyachan ... 4330653122

veeyens3

Post by veeyens3 »

cacm, I wrote that just in jest nothing personal. If I had offended you in any way, pl, consider tis as my apology. Again nothing personal May Sri Rama bless you

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Srivanjiyam Ramachandra Iyer different from Srivanjium Ramachandra Bagavathar of Sampradaya Bhajans ?

Srivanjium Ramachandra Bagavathar, Mayavaram Krishnamurthy Bagavathar were pioneers in Sampradaya Bhajans; before Haridoss Giri, Udayalur, Vittaldas, ...

Srivanjium is also the native place of Veena S. Balachander.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Annamalai avl,
Yes you are right. His Divyanamam will be with full of Abhinayam. In my younger days I have attended his bajans.
Thanjavooran 24 03 2011

cacm

Post by cacm »

veeyens3 wrote:cacm, I wrote that just in jest nothing personal. If I had offended you in any way, pl, consider tis as my apology. Again nothing personal May Sri Rama bless you
Dear Sri veeyens3,
I am NOT offended by anything anyone writes in this forum as I DO NOT KNOW THEM EVEN.
I happen to be in this forum to write MY OWN VIEWS& ASSESSMENTS & EXPECT FULLY THAT OTHERS WILL DO THE SAME. REGS, VKV

veeyens3

Post by veeyens3 »

Sri VKV, , While recognising your right to freely express your opinion and views I was under the impression that such views and opinions, should not even indirectly suggest that others are nincompoops.and do not know what they are talking May Sri Rama bless you

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

I like that expression - nincompoops - no offence meant to anybody.

CRama

Post by CRama »

I was able to lay hands on a concert of this vidwan. It is a full concert of 3 hours and as members have already described about his music, it is very much like MMI - all the songs usually rendered by MMI. I am uploading three songs for the benefit of those who have not heard him. Names of accompanists not known.
1. Vathapi- http://www.sendspace.com/file/sg3mte
2. Brovabharama- http://www.sendspace.com/file/et1x34
3.A song in Kadanakuthoohalam- http://www.sendspace.com/file/0cn1oc

Pratyaksham Bala

CRama:
THANKS, THANKS A LOT!

smala

Post by smala »

CRama - enjoyed this vidwan a lot - if not too much trouble, please upload the remainder of the three hour concert.

drkrishnan@gmail.com

Post by drkrishnan@gmail.com »

Is it possible to reload the following---

. Vathapi- http://www.sendspace.com/file/sg3mte
2. Brovabharama- http://www.sendspace.com/file/et1x34
3.A song in Kadanakuthoohalam- http://www.sendspace.com/file/0cn1oc

CRama

Post by CRama »

Presently I am outside Chennai. Let me reach back and locate.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Oh I feel like eureka eureka eureka .

This vidwan Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer sang for my parents marriage in 1972 in kumbakonam.About a decade back i came to know that Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer and my maternal thatha did spend considerable years,atleast a decade plus in a village by known Tippirajapuram near Kumbakonam

That is not the eureka moment .
Hear Srivanjiyam almost singing like my top Supernova who else other than Ganakaladhara Madurai Mani Iyer. Being aradhana of sadhguru may be he did not sing longer cycle of swaras in kapinarayani. Srivanjiyam texture of voice is bit different like manakkal rangarajan or gnb.

Shri Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer - Vocal
Shri Ethapur Srinivasan-violin
Shri K.M.Rajappa Iyer- mridangam . Rajapppa Iyer is the doyen guru for most of the senior stars of mrudangam. His song KR Ganesh continues to play well.

Shri Srivanjiyam Mani Iyer @ Thiruvayyaru Thyagarajah Utsavam 1960s
AIR announcement is towards the end of the audio track!

1.Sarasa samadana(S)- kapinarayani
2.Manasunilpa- Aboghi

Thanks to Raju Asokan, the uploader. The
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDreSpm ... e=youtu.be

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

SrivanjiyamManiIyer in a kalyana kutcheri in 1972

The above photo is part of kalyana kutcheri concert of my parents , taken in 1972 at kumbakonam . . The kanjira artist is Sankaran who is my distant relative. This kanjira artist Sankaran came from keeranur and stayed for many years in kotturpuram . May i know the names of the violin and mrudangam artist (By any chance is that karaikudi mani or is that MKR's younger brother). By the way it is a single microphone concert.