CS Murugabhoopathy

Carnatic Musicians
Gamakam

CS Murugabhoopathy

Post by Gamakam »

CSM belongs to the Mridangam trinity. Nope! i didn't coin this phrase 'mridangam trinity'. None other than the great LGJ told me this when I interviewed him for my book on Palani.

Almost all senior vidwans rate him along side Palani and PMI. While, one could easily come across several articles written on the two legends not much is known about CSM.

I have been collecting materials within my reach on CSM in the past few months and am hoping to pen them down as an article. The only decent source of information That I have come across so far has been the interview available at Sampradaya archives. Even in that interview CSM is mostly reluctant to speak abt. himself. Probably presence of his brother and guru Sankara Sivam must have stopped him from freely opening up. Sruti magazine too has carried a brief profile written by KS Kalidas.

IMHO both doesn't do justice to his genius.

I hope veteran rasikas and musicians can throw more light on this maestro.

To start with, does any one know of any living relatives/disciples of CSM? I would love to interview them.

regards
Ram
http://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.com/

Nick H

Re: CS Murugabhoopathy

Post by Nick H »

TVG also uses this accolade for those three mridangists in his book. "He was a straightforward and modest person, but on stage he became very special - temperamental and macho, but all for the right reasons."

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Gamakam
All the best in your venture.CSM certainly is a legend who has to be researched and documented, his play has so much azhuttam and extremely good nAdham. I just love few GNB concerts where he has played and also few somu recordings that is so good. manakkAl rangarAjan sir has lots of memories about CSM , you can be in touch with manakkal sriram too(will try to hook you up with him).

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Sri CSM was one of the great stars of the Palani School. I think His father Sri.Chitsabhai Serrai was a stellar disciple of the great laya vidhwAn Sri.Mamoondia Pillai. Other disciples of Sri.Mamoondia Pillai include Sri.Palani Muthiah Pillai (PSP's father) and Sri.Dakshinamurthy Pillai.

Guess its just fate that he did not become as popular a vidhwAn like a PMI or PSP of his era. You can find a few of his wonderful concerts at sangeethapriya. Especially there is one Music Academy 1960 Ramnad Krishnan concert with him accompanying is a must listen to all percussion students. The thani which he would have played in that concert is spell binding stuff. (All Ramnad Krishnan fans do not miss this concert. This has an absolutely soul stirring bEgadA)..

I heard through grapevine, that there is a DKJ recording (A concert in Delhi i guess) floating around with CSM sir on the mrudangam and UKS sir on the kanjira. Would be great if someone puts it up here.

@ Gamakam, I dont have any idea about his disciples or students, but if you are accessible to Sri.TNS, maybe you can get a lot of info from him, as i have heard that Sri.CSM is one of the earliest vidwans who had spotted the genial vidhwath in TNS and encouraged him when he was under his brother's tutelage..

cacm

Post by cacm »

CSM was not just one of the trinity of Mridanga Vidwans but probably the most "JANARANJAGAM" of the three. I met him often in Kutchery Road & in Rayar hotel-where GNB& ALMOST ALL LEADING MUSICIANS USED TO BE REGULARS; GNB FOR THE DOSAI & MOST OTHERS FOR THE IDLI-
NONE of them have yet to be equalled since! just like those giants.....MMI used to tell csm at the end of his concerts:"PANNEER THELICHUTAEL" Your PLAYING had the fragrance, subtelity & freshness of Panner...It is well known SOMUsaid he is singing concerts only to hear CSM at the later stages of his singing career....In short CSM can be TECHNICALLY so great MMI has used his mridangam instead of THMBURA in concerts where the thambura did not meet his unerring standards as well as ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT as an accompanist. THERE IS NO DOUBT in my mind that the BEST CONCERTS I HAVE HEARD in the last sixty years in person had PMI, PSP OR CSM as MRIDANGISTS...... The only dig- its always tempting to indulge in these when you either cannot find anything wrong or just are unwilling to accept greatness- used to be that unlike the other two giants he would somewhat try to make the concert a success by descending to the levell of the main artist.........To me its a pity we are wallowing in the present blissfully UNAWARE of the genius& greatness which preceded it in the past.....VKV

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Thank you all for the responses.

From the limited research I've done, CSM is attributed to be the pioneer in using the 'Kuchi Mridangam' (needs confirmation).

He is also credited to have developed a special way playing on the thoppi. Trichy Sankaran sir said, "thoppilaiyum viralai pirichu vaasippaar". CSM's brilliant handling of the thoppi can be heard in a fairly popular GNB concert with Chowdiah, when he accompanies for the song 'Raghuvara'. Such Gumkis at that speed are truly out of the world.

Semmu86: Agree with you on TNS. I've no access to him. But will try:-) I remember listening to a scintillating thani for the kriti 'Amma Ravamma' by CSM in a TNS concert.

I guess CSM lived in Madurai for a long time. Hopefully forumites from Madurai can throw some light on his descendants and disciples.

ajit

Post by ajit »

Well I am from Madurai and also learnt Mridangam at his brother Sri C.S.Sankara Sivams house for a short period. One person in their family who may know about Sri CSM is Sri Palaninathan who still lives in
Madurai and teaches Mridangam. I am not sure if he learnt from CSM but I am sure he will have more information about him. If you need any help to get in touch with him or find out if he would be willing to share
any info about CSM, I can try my best...

vintageaudio

Post by vintageaudio »

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Dear Ajit,

It will wonderful if you can put me in touch with Sri. Palanithan. I'm really keen on unearthing info. abt. CSM.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Gamakam wrote: From the limited research I've done, CSM is attributed to be the pioneer in using the 'Kuchi Mridangam' (needs confirmation).
Hmm, Can't attribute it to CSM sir alone, but i maybe wrong though. Because Sri.PSP also used kuchi mrudangam only as far as i know, as whatever recordings i have with PSP are all with Kuchi mrudangam only. Maybe i can get some info from mrudanga vidhwAn Sri.K.S.Kalidas (one of the disciples of Sri.PSP) and pass it on here. You can also approach him for he loves to interact with youngsters and share info about the golden past..

And regarding the thoppi usage, yes his thoppi always used to kind of "loose and low" which allowed more flexibility and he was particularly famous for "double gumukkis", which is kind of hard to explain it here but you can listen to them in the Ramnad Krishnan recording which i pointed out.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Semmu86,

The information on Kuchi Mridangam usage was provided to me by Shri.K.S.Kalidas. He says, Palani always used the Kappi mridangam.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Ajit,

I dunno how to respond to your mail as it was sent thro' rasikas. I'm still ingnorant on how to send an email to a formite thro' this website. Could you pls. send a mail to ramchi@gmail.com ?

Thank you

ajit

Post by ajit »

Gamakam,
I had sent you an email atleast a couple of days back. I dont know if you received it or not.

ajit

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Ajit,

Quite Strange. I dint get your mail :-(

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

Gamakam wrote:Ajit,

I dunno how to respond to your mail as it was sent thro' rasikas. I'm still ingnorant on how to send an email to a formite thro' this website. Could you pls. send a mail to ramchi@gmail.com ?

Thank you

All that you need to do is click on the envelop tab that you see next to the member's name on the left panel in the screen. Type message and send and you can copy it to u'r personal id as well.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

fduddy wrote: All that you need to do is click on the envelop tab that you see next to the member's name on the left panel in the screen. Type message and send and you can copy it to u'r personal id as well.
Well, I did try that. Strangely it works when I click on every member's ID except for Ajith's. Wondering what could be the reason.

Ajith: My alternate id is ramchi412@yahoo.com

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Probably he may not have included his email address in his profile?

The forum email forwards the mail to the registered mail address

ajit

Post by ajit »

Nick,
My profile shows my email address when I try to edit it..

ajit

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Wrong idea from me then!

Calling Admin!...

I see, when I put the mouse over your little-letter icon, that the link looks quite wrong, like this:
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... iew=unread
whereas mine gives a result that looks like this:
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/memberlist ... il&u=10428

Hopefully I am having better ideas now.

You could try... delete your email address, save the profile, open the profile and add it in again: that might correct the link.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

vintageaudio wrote:CSM thani -

http://www.mediafire.com/?1kdebb9cwcaz8jn
Vintage audio: The thani seems to be a very interesting one. Sounds like there were 2 Khanjiras and a Ghatam accompanying CSM's mridangam. Do you have details of the concert?

vintageaudio

Post by vintageaudio »

@Gamakam

thani is from the following concert.

madurai somu
v.l.govindaswamy naiker
c.s.murugabhoopathy
c.k.shyamsundar-kanjeera
nagaraja rao-ghatam
Aminjikarai, 10 May, 1974

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Nick H wrote:Wrong idea from me then!

Calling Admin!...

I see, when I put the mouse over your little-letter icon, that the link looks quite wrong, like this:
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... iew=unread
whereas mine gives a result that looks like this:
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/memberlist ... il&u=10428

Hopefully I am having better ideas now.

You could try... delete your email address, save the profile, open the profile and add it in again: that might correct the link.
Hope Ajit and Ram had managed to communicate offline

Good tip Nick. I see the problem but do not know what is wrong.. Looks to be a forum bug. In looking at this I found a few others who have this issue. e.g. msakella We will see if the Admin has some ideas.

vintageaudio

Post by vintageaudio »

another clip featuring CSM circa 1968

CSM- Mridhangam
T.N.Balappa- Dholak
Pudukottai Mahadevan-Morsing

http://www.mediafire.com/?gr6692cdk13p6

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

vintageaudio wrote:@Gamakam

thani is from the following concert.

madurai somu
v.l.govindaswamy naiker
c.s.murugabhoopathy
c.k.shyamsundar-kanjeera
nagaraja rao-ghatam
Aminjikarai, 10 May, 1974
Vintageaudio: one could clearly listen to Kanjira being played twice before Mridangam gets to respond another time. Wondering if tehre were two Kanjiras.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Vintageaudio for the two thanis by CSM.

Is the second thani in Misra Chapu?

In both thanis, Is the final Korvai set to end in the samam or eduppu?
It looks to be samam, but I am not good at detecting those accurately.
In either case, does that aspect vary by artists and/or by school?

ajit

Post by ajit »

Gamakam,
I have sent you an email to the ramchi412@yahoo.com. Please let me know if you received it.
If not you can send email to ajit_krishnan@hotmail.com

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

vintageaudio wrote:another clip featuring CSM circa 1968

CSM- Mridhangam
T.N.Balappa- Dholak
Pudukottai Mahadevan-Morsing
Thanks for posting this superlative thani. I have never heard a dholak in a CM context before. It sounds like a cross between a tabla and a mridangam, not at all like the "dholak" you hear elsewhere in pop music contexts. I can distinctly hear the panchamam predominating in the sound of the dholak as opposed to shadjamam in the mridangam. Perhaps it is just a matter of harmonics?

I wonder why the dholak has vanished from CM today given that it was present as late as 1968. Does anyone know the history of this instrument in CM concerts?

-Thenpaanan

ugk

Post by ugk »

Thanks for posting this superlative thani. I have never heard a dholak in a CM context before. It sounds like a cross between a tabla and a mridangam, not at all like the "dholak" you hear elsewhere in pop music contexts. I can distinctly hear the panchamam predominating in the sound of the dholak as opposed to shadjamam in the mridangam. Perhaps it is just a matter of harmonics?

-Thenpaanan[/quote]

I think what we are hearing on this clip is a Dholki and not a dholak.
I have played on both. Dholak is the traditional wooden type instrument with a more earthly sound.
Dholki i am told is a dholak which has been redesigned to sound more metallic. It tends to have more synthetics in its body than a dholak. I think the dholki is also called a Naal by some people.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Let me recollect my old memory. some 35 yrs back CSM accompanied CV Narasimhan along with sikkil bhaskaran at Ethiraj kalyanamandapam near Alwarpet The concert was about 150 mts and CSM played a thani immediately after Kalyani kriti. It was excellent.

Thanjavooran 13 11 2010

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Almost 2 years since I started this thread, I partially finsihed what I intended to do.

Here is my article on the legend. It is no way a comprehensive article. Just a bird's eye view on the legend's life and music.

http://solvanam.com/?p=16433

Thanks for all thsoe who shared their thoughts on this great maestro.

regards
Lalitha Ram

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

ajit wrote:Gamakam,
I have sent you an email to the ramchi412@yahoo.com. Please let me know if you received it.
If not you can send email to ajit_krishnan@hotmail.com

Ajit,

A special thanks to you for helping me meet Sri. Karaikudi Krishnamurthi.

regards

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Gamakam
I just read your write up, very well written.What I always like about his play is his superb nAdham of the mrudangam , may I know till which year he has played in live concerts.

gee

Post by gee »

Gamakam wrote:CSM belongs to the Mridangam trinity. Nope! i didn't coin this phrase 'mridangam trinity'. None other than the great LGJ told me this when I interviewed him for my book on Palani.

Almost all senior vidwans rate him along side Palani and PMI. While, one could easily come across several articles written on the two legends not much is known about CSM.

I have been collecting materials within my reach on CSM in the past few months and am hoping to pen them down as an article. The only decent source of information That I have come across so far has been the interview available at Sampradaya archives. Even in that interview CSM is mostly reluctant to speak abt. himself. Probably presence of his brother and guru Sankara Sivam must have stopped him from freely opening up. Sruti magazine too has carried a brief profile written by KS Kalidas.

IMHO both doesn't do justice to his genius.

I hope veteran rasikas and musicians can throw more light on this maestro.

To start with, does any one know of any living relatives/disciples of CSM? I would love to interview them.

regards
Ram
http://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.com/
I have had the great fortune of learning from one of Murugaboopathy Sir's disciples for several years. His name is Sri Venupuri Srinivas, and currently resides in Tampa, FL, USA. He is an excellent mridangist in my opinion, and a very caring person as well. If you would like to contact him, I can give you his information.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Gamakam

I came across this delightful concert with Sri CSG accompanying Sri TRM along with Sri MSG.

Sam

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/#/album ... d_In_1962/

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

rajeshnat wrote:Gamakam
I just read your write up, very well written.What I always like about his play is his superb nAdham of the mrudangam , may I know till which year he has played in live concerts.
Rajesh: CSM's disciple Lakshmanraj says he played even in the 90s, till the very end.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

gee wrote:
I have had the great fortune of learning from one of Murugaboopathy Sir's disciples for several years. His name is Sri Venupuri Srinivas, and currently resides in Tampa, FL, USA. He is an excellent mridangist in my opinion, and a very caring person as well. If you would like to contact him, I can give you his information.
Dear Gee,

My email is ramchi@gmail.com . Pls. put me in touch with CSM's disciple.

Thanks for the help

regards

Gamakam

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Listening to a TNS Ramanavami concert (from 1980s) (from sangeethapriya) with CSM - what a mridangam ! the clarity of each sollukattu and the mridangam not too loud, but yet firm clear strokes; the way the mridangam blends with morsing is so melodious. atleast the recording of the concert starts with Koluvai (Bhairavi) and CSM accompaniment for Hechariga (Ykamboji) out of the world ! CSM seems to have played for many vidwans who hail from Madurai - Madurai Mani Iyer, Madurai Somu, TNS and Ramnad Krishnan (from Palghat).

sairaam

Post by sairaam »

cacm

Post by cacm »

I have been present MANY TIMES when MMI told him(CSM) at the end of the concerts" Panner(the fragrant liquid sprayed on during auspicious occasions!) Theliksha Madhiri Vasichuttel- Pramadham". Of course there is the historic concert in Bombay when the Tambura was not upto MMI'S STANDARDS & he sang the ENTIRE CONCERT JUST intently concentrating & listening to CSM'S Mridangam....In my view the BEST Mridangam Accompaniment I HAVE HEARD FOR MMI IS PSP-CSM- BOTH TIED!......MEMORABLE UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCES THAT STILL RING IN MY EARS....THOSE WERE THE DAYS & CONCERTS WHICH MARK THE HIGH POINTS OF MY OVER 60 YEARS OF LIVE LISTENING...VKV

sairaam

Post by sairaam »

I heard that his son's passing away took a toll on him and he started avoiding speaking to many.. Any idea about family of CSM or his Brother, anyone??

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

great artist - one of my favourite - I did not know if CSM was the artist of the MMI concert legend :-)

In my view, more than the softness of the mridangam strokes, I think it is also the various pattens of nadais that they weave while accompanying the krithis - it is so beautiful.
I remember a recording of CSM accompanying Madurai Somu for Varalandu (gurjari) - the way he takes off for the anu Pallavi is so superb and Somu immediately acknowledges - beshu, beshu ... I think this sort of style is almost forgotten and replaced with aggressive, vigorous accompaniment.

I heard a concert of Sandhayavandanam Srinivasa Rao accompanied by Madras A. Kannan - what a lovely accompaniment for Bhavanutha (Mohanam) (I find the Kanjira a bit distracting).

http://www.mediafire.com/?3hoe4shc9qdd4lp

PS: I was at a concert recently , where the artist was rendering Entara Neethana (harikamboji) - in a relaxed manner ala KVN. For some inexplicable reason, the mridangist took off on some high speed pharans and thwanks in the anupallavi - don't know why - and the main artist also increased the pace and what was melodious start ended up with some gymnastics. Net effect nice krithi spoiled.

Summary - Mridangist can take the concert to the next level or ....
Last edited by annamalai on 01 Dec 2012, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

There are ways to play fast, but soothing... Then it will be a delight.

I recall listening to TVG mridangam solo tape, long ago, and being baffled at how a drum solo could be as meditative as a hindustani alap.

sairaam

Post by sairaam »

Nowadays a thought moves around that - "more the sound, better the mridangist is" - Who can explain the difference btwn Nadham and Sound to them.. I think if someone starts playing without listening to CSM, i think he will always play only with agnanam..

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

lovely interview with the great artist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5bGMphvpdo

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Dear

Can anyone post the famous interview of CSM with C Subramania Desikar in Trichy AIR ?

Mannarkoil J Balaji

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

yes varsha this is the one i was looking for. Thank you very much.

Mannarkoil J Balaji

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

That is a fascinating interview!!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

The pattern which after a while starts increasing is one of his best expressions - I have heard this ( may be even a better execution in a Ramnad concert)

https://youtu.be/DvzmkVAtfNU?t=1061 - around 18:00

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

And yet again