umayALpuram k. sivarAman

Carnatic Musicians
thanjavooran

Re: umayALpuram k. sivarAman

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Semmu86,
Many thanx for the link. Fantastic ! An excellent concert by great Vidwans!
Expecting few more tracks,
with wishes,
Thanjavooran
08 08 2013

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

The flamboyance :: DKJ-UKS combo!!

Following is a gem of a Mutttiah Bhagavathar Krithi, that is rarely sung these days. Masterful rendition by DKJ. The control over the kAlaprAmANam is just unbelievable. Surely, DKJ's voice and music was at its peak and at its creative best at this period. T. Rukmini's brilliant support has the LGJ touch all the way (Esp the nonchalance with which she replies for the swaras at the end) and the tone is very sweet too. Morsing i believe is Pudukkotai Mahadevan

https://archive.org/details/DKJ08Sreema ... ANGAMALHAR

Coming to this thread, few points to note about the Mrudangam accompaniment.
- A certain unexplainable sense of flair & poetry associated with his playing, esp in this concert and for this krithi in particular. Its like Roger Federer cruising his way at the Wimbledon Centre Court.
- The eduppu of the krithi is a tricky 1/2 edam after the samam (You can make out from the sound of DKJ's hands putting thAlam) and its so very easy to get tempted and play conveniently for samam-samam, whereas, UKS Sir here so quickly internalized the krithi and played for the krithi, instead of playing for the thALam. Its difficult to explain the beauty behind that, here.
- The kind of embellishment that he gives to the already soaring concert is just beyond my words.

Enough of my dabbling... Over to music

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Semmu86
Many thanks.
I have enjoyed UKS's accompaniment for so many decades and he just goes on.
I do think he misses the brilliance and flamboyance of the erstwhile greats, and is seeking out new talent to accompany all the time. An incredible musician no doubt.

I have another observation. Somehow his mridangam playing is immune to vagaries of the mike settings. He sounds good in so many live recordings done in so many ways...what a tribute this is to his playing that his instrument sounds good despite poor recording quality.

In that legendary Lalgudi pancharatnam concert of 1967 KGS, he plays so well with Srimathi in many places, simply lifting the musical quality. I have noticed that he plays quite differently with the violin (or Srimathi's second violin) compared to the vocalist.

Please bring on more and more of the UKS magic!

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Rsachi wrote:I have another observation. Somehow his mridangam playing is immune to vagaries of the mike settings. He sounds good in so many live recordings done in so many ways...what a tribute this is to his playing that his instrument sounds good despite poor recording quality.
Brilliant point. Something that which has sent me into raptures too for so many years now.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thanks Semmu. DKJ UKS pairing is truly exceptional!

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

The confluence of 3 geniuses :: S. Balachandar MSG UKS

Here is a breathtaking track of the trio. SB Plays this krithi at a breakneck kAlaprAmAnam and the accompaniment by both MSG & UKS is absolutely stunning to say the least. First time listeners to this track are likely to get blown away. The clarity of the sollus and the shruthi shuddham of the vAdhyam deserves special mention as its been the case always at any given UKS Sir concert.......

https://archive.org/details/04Bantureethi

Next post :: Other end of the spectrum; Another GOD MADE immortal combo in the annals of CM - MDR_UKS

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Wow, Semmu!The following line is very apt for the 300kmph bullet train that rocks!

a strong (ghana) armour (kaJcukamu) called (anu) horripilation (rOmAJcamu) (rOmAJcamanu)....

Keep them coming, sir!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Lightning SB with thunder UKS! Gana mazhai (musical rain).
And MSG's subtle touches of hamsanAdam were like a swan singing in the rain. Very rare to see this tempo in SB's renditions (similar to MDR in this regard).

Thanks Semmu, for this rare gem.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

The Elephant & the Lion :: MDR_UKS

https://archive.org/details/04JananiSankarabaranam

This is a beautiful krithi (Guess this one is MDR's own sAhityam), which I wanted to share. Chalakudi Narayanaswamy on the fiddle and K.S.Manjunath on the ghatam. The kAlaprAmANam deserves a special mention. Such a stark contrast to the previous Balachandar track. Such supreme control over the vAdhyam and over the kAlaprAmAnam. There is a deliberate reason for sharing this track.

The beautiful thani that follows is at a tricky edam of 3-thalli from samam. Misra chApu 3-thalli from samam is the most challenging for Mrudangam artists to play thani for. The reason being, as per the accepted tenets of grammar, one cannot play any type of naDai for this edam. Just korvais in chatusra nadai which highlights the edam and pharans and mohra kOrvai. This is the ultimate challenge for a Mrudangam vidwAn's creativity and ability, because of the highly limited scope of this edam.

Any lesser Mrudangam artiste would have taken the easier route by highlighting the edam, playing one or two korvais in chatusram to the edam and then conviniently playing thisram from samam-samam and then finishing the thani at the edam. Their weak defence for this grammar violation is "Poetic License". NOT THE CASE HERE. This thani is an EPITOME OF GRAMMAR and at the same time, UKS' sollu build up and the manOdharma aspects is quite stunning, without sacrificing the aesthetics and beauty. WHAT MORE can a listener ask for!!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Great track, Semmu. And thanks for the explanation about the tricky edam here.

I was just in a trance listening to the gait of the misra-chapu. Somehow, I find misra chapu offers a lot of opportunities for creativity during accompaniment.

Given your association with the maestro, perhaps you could share with us how his perfectly tuned instruments have such a unique nAdham, especially his arrai chApu (even at such a low MDR frequency).

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Before Semmu returns with more gems of the maestro, I wanted to share this absolutely magical piece KVN-MC-UKS.

"heccarikagA rArA hE rAmacandra", quite possibly the best version I have heard. KVN's dulcet voice complemented by the majestic UKS. The neraval "ninnu jUDavaccu bhagini karambu ciluka" belongs in a museum: the vocalist's control of the kalapramanam, MC's sensitive responses and UKS's amazing anticipation.

"Hope you enjoy it" doesn't even begin to convey the sentiment of something as transcendental as this yadukula kamboji. You will laugh, you will cry. You will see why. Headphones recommended (especially to catch MC enjoying UKS's accompaniment in his own subtle way).

https://archive.org/details/KVN-MC-UKS

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Mahavishnu, thanks!

I saw this plaque in Thyagaraja Samadhi at Thiruvaiyyaru. Ample proof this song was KVN's favourite!

Would some kindly soul share a high quality track of KVN with Sivaraman 1971 Ghatkopar concert -Sri Subrahmanyaya namaste? It is a spectacular example of UKS's powers of accompaniment!!

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Wow!! Thank you Ramesh. That "heccarikagA rArA" was supposed to be my next track. :ymapplause:

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Semmu, What a coincidence that this particular track (of all the millions out there) was going to be your next one!

Sachi, I have a recording of the '71 Ghatkopar concert with Sri subrahmanyAya namastE, but the quality is not great. It doesn't do justice to the majesty of UKS's nadham.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Ramesh, that KVN concert has an immortal kIravANi (puNNiyam oru kODi) too. If possible, can you pls do upload that one too? Thanks very much. Again the trademark UKS nAdham in that vAdhyam is something so unique. Perfect control over the vAdhyam and a lesson on how to play on the kucchi mrudangam.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

mahavishnu wrote: "heccarikagA rArA hE rAmacandra", quite possibly the best version I have heard. KVN's dulcet voice complemented by the majestic UKS. The neraval "ninnu jUDavaccu bhagini karambu ciluka" belongs in a museum: the vocalist's control of the kalapramanam, MC's sensitive responses and UKS's amazing anticipation.
There is of course the Hecchariga Ra Ra by Ariyakudi - TNK - PMI IMHO is the best.
The gamaka ornamentation of Ariyakudi around ninnu juda is what most musicians attempt to do.
The PMI plan for playing for the Ariyakudi kalapramanam can be observed in UKS.

It would be interesting to listen to Puducottai version - PSP or CS Murugabhoopathy play for this krithi.

varsha

Post by varsha »

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thanks, Varsha-ji.
Semmu, as requested I have uploaded the whole KVN-MC-UKS concert here: https://archive.org/details/KVN_MC_UKS_fullConcert.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Here is that 1971 KVN Ghatkopar concert with UKS !
http://bit.ly/16MPfmz
I have shared the full Kambhoji and the Huseni before that.
Tweak the equailiser (best in VLC Player) to cancel out that hum.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

varsha wrote:https://archive.org/details/TvsMsgUksTani

with hp ramachar
Brilliant as usual! Thanks so much. And Thanks very much Ramesh.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Semmu. Just heard the amazing piece by three stalwarts Bantureethi by SB-MSG-UKS. No words to describe- Out of the world. I have never heard this combination. Thanks a ton. If you don't mind, will you kindly upload the full concert. I agree. Music makes me greedy.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

CRama :: I would love to, but this is all that i have from that concert.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Semmu
Thank you for sb-msg-uks. Particularly from the minutes 11 to 14 , there is so much display of their collective brilliance . What I love about UKS he maintains the speed as much as the tempo of both sb and msg , but still varies the volume of the sound that comes from the vAdyam depending on the dynamics of the situation.

ON a side note , once shri PSN was mentioning that your guru shri UKS is one musician never keeps a water bottle and does not sip drinks in the concert , is that correct(this was told in one of his disciples laya laavanya arangetram) ?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rsachi wrote:I saw this plaque in Thyagaraja Samadhi at Thiruvaiyyaru. Ample proof this song was KVN's favourite!
I just saw this - and am so impressed with how the powers that be have indicated the right pronunciation/sound by using superscripts on this plaque - i.e., ப3 to indicate 'b', and ப4 for 'bh', க3 for 'g', and த3 for 'd' etc.! I wish every other publisher of tamizh script uses this - will go a long way in preventing egregious errors like 'paNDu rIdi' for 'baNTu rIti'

ram

Post by ram »

We are celebrating the 80th birthday of our guru Umayalpuram Dr. K. Sivaraman sir on 5th December 2015 at the Music Academy, Chennai. A plethora of contemporary stars from the performing arts field gather to perform and celebrate this momentous occasion and pay tribute to the living legend.

Details of the day long event are available at http://www.umayalpuram80.com/

Please "like" the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/uks80/ for regular updates

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ram and many well wishers who are organizing this event,
IT is just wonderful for you all to honor the finest artist who has made CM special because of his mrudhu angam. Thank you also in having this day on saturday, 5th Dec, many inclusive of me also have a chance.
The website is great too.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

UKS Says - Sadly they do not get a chance to showcase their talent as the duration of concerts has shrunk. It is like asking these youngsters, who are capable of running a marathon, to run around the Nageswara Rao Park.
Lovely q and a http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 970401.ece

sraja

Post by sraja »

The maestro turns 80 tomorrow. May he continue to be in great health and may those magical figures continue to produce the amazing speed, clarity and the most extraordinary naadham heard on the mridangam!!

ram

Post by ram »

We are celebrating the 80th birthday of our guru Umayalpuram Dr. K. Sivaraman sir on 26th January 2016 at the Music Academy, Chennai. The e-invite is available at http://www.umayalpuram80.com/wp-content ... tation.pdf

More details on the event web site http://www.umayalpuram80.com/

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

ram

Post by ram »

Gentle reminder for tomorrow's event at the Music Academy. All are welcome to attend!

Here is the program for tomorrow:

09:30AM to 10:00AM: Mangala Isai - Shri Seshampatti Sivalingam & party

10:05AM to 10:35AM: Guru vandanam by senior disciples - Moras and Korvais of Dr. Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman

10:45AM to 11:15AM: Dr. Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman with legends - Audio visual show by Shri S.B. Khaanthan

11:20AM to 11:50AM: Science of mrudangam - Presentation by Dr. T. Ramasami, Former secretary, Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India; Dr. Bhaskar Ramamurthi, Director, IIT Chennai; Dr. Hema Murthy, Prof, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Chennai and Dr. V. Kamakoti, Prof. Department of Computer Science, IIT Chennai

12:00PM to 12:30PM: Adavu compositions of Dr. Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman - Dance by Smt. Roja Kannan , Smt. Priya Murle and party

4:00PM to 5:00PM: Carnatic concert by Shri Malladi Brothers (Vocal), Shri Nagai Sriram (Violin), Shri K.V. Prasad (Mrudangam)

5:10PM to 5:40PM: Overtone - Documentary on Dr. Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman by Shri Rajiv Menon

5:50PM to 7:05PM: Dr. Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman felicitation function
Invocation - Smt. Shweta Mohan
Welcome address - Shri N. Murali
Presidential address: Padma Vibhushan Shri Adoor Gopalakrishnan
Felicitations by Shri M.A. Baby, Smt. Aruna Sairam, Shri Rajiv Menon, Shri Fabrizio Cassol and Ustad Maa Zila Khan
Release of audio CD - "Swanubhoothi" Dr. Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman with Legends. Release of Ringtone.
Acceptance speech: Dr. Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman
Honoring sponsors

7:15PM to 9:15PM: Jwaalaa - A voyage in the ocean of melody and rhythm - Ustad Maa Zila Khan (Vocal), Shri Fabrizio Cassol (Saxophone), Shri Mattanur Sankarankutty (Chenda), Shri Stephen Devassy (Keyboard & Keytar), Pt. Anindo Chatterjee (Tabla), Shri Attukal Balasubramnyam (Electric violin). Special appearance by Dr. Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman (Mrudangam).

themusicseason

Re:

Post by themusicseason »

coolkarni wrote:For all my Feelings of having missed out listening to the great masters in the Golden Era 50-70 years ago, I have always comforted myself that I had one great experience , as compensation-
The experience of attending a Concert where UKS plays the Mrudangam.
The very sight of this master -as we rush to take our seats - in a majestic posture , half turned sideways and assessing the audience with a sway of his head, His deep set eyes and a twist of his mouth which borders on a smirk,the deep bass voice and impeccable language... they all add up to make blood rush through my veins .
As Rajesh says I hardly ever understand the intricacies of what he is playing , but I have always felt his style is just like a Cushion beneath the track of the main performer - always supporting it from below- as though the rendering needed to be held up for all of us to see

I have tried hard, these last few days to locate something that measures upto to my unabashed admiration for this genius.

Many years ago , one day while I was having Lunch (Prasadam) at Nanganallur Anjaneyar temple, I noticed a few video tapes tumbling out of the overstacked cupboards.
One look at the labels and I felt sorry for the genies that were bottled up in those covers- I dont know for how many years.

As I Started to discuss this with a friend who was a volunteer there , I thought of offering to convert those videotapes -to vcds-for the temple.
One thing led to another and in no time I was handling an expensive project.I had to quickly find a few known people to share the burden ( I was just into business then ,and was at a stage where I started realising the truth about the statement -WHO SAYS MONEY IS LIKE DOUGH . DOUGH STICKS TO THE HAND )

However at the end of the project -those thankless friends ended taking up a copy but never bothered to pay up their share.

It was one such day That I felt like complaining to the Lord -after I had finally handed over the complete set to the temple authorities.
The Lord with all his knowledge about the fact that I was penniless , had decided to put this extra burden me .

Strangely that day , we were delayed for some silly reason and as I picked up my Sundal in the queue I had one last look at the Diety to see if he was still making fun of me, but felt otherwise.

Just then the Secretary of the temple committee entered and the chap who was giving me the prasadam callled out loudly
"Sir, this is the person who converted all those videos for us."

I came out of the queue and We got busy talking for a few minutes , and he enquired about music collections etc
Finally he sprang a surprise -
"I hope you have collected your expense towards this."

And realising that none of us had ever discussed this , he admonished me for not bringing up this issue before and thanked me for saving their treasures from getting spoiled.And he immediately wrote out a cheque for the full amount.

Here is a clip from one of those tapes.We had to struggle a lot to clean them up etc and one can notice those damaged portions , but to my mind it is a brilliantly shot Video - One that brings out the artistry of this Titan in all its elegance.
Hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/6xjj
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/h0wg
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/k3nf

PS Kindly do not post these links in other forums and that too with notes like Courtesy Coolkarni- They are a source of endless trouble to me .Something which has made me cut down on video uploads.
But for the sake of this thread i am willing to make an exception.
happy viewing
Why not share ? Dont you want these videos,great pieces of masterwork to outlive you ?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Venkat, I can say this whole story quintessentially defines the man we call Coolkarni. He is a gem. in a star-studded crown of human endeavour in the field of music and arts, he shines like a stupendous gem.

God bless. Hope he reads your request,and heeds your request.

In the meanwhile, here is a clip from me:
http://rsachi.blogspot.in/2009/10/todi- ... ram-k.html

varsha

Post by varsha »

Why not share ? Dont you want these videos,great pieces of masterwork to outlive you ?
I once took an opportunity from Carnatica to argue the case of posterity. That was two decades ago . I have moved a long distance since then. Remain constrained for the same reasons like you say in your site
Note all broadcast on Public Radios are for non commercial consideration (this way I think you automatically rule out a few folks who cant be broadcast).
You could drop in at the archive at Sanmukhananda Sabha to see one method.
Or keep logging in here
https://archive.org/details/@rasayana#collections

the best way would be to stay in touch here :D

CRama

Post by CRama »

varsha, Thousand thanks for giving links of rasayana. It is amrit kalash. I just heard the magnificent music of Puducode Krishnamurthy. Some songs I was not having. Thanks again.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you, Varsha-ji! What a treasure. I have listened to a Madurai Somu recording you posted about a 100 times now already!
I cannot even begin to imagine what else is out there even in the small slice that you have shared here.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Thanks.I started this when I discontinued blogging , inspired by the idea of a time capsule lowered deep into earth for a future generation.
Somu....Are there words which can describe the magic .
Glad you all like them.I will be uploading here all my life :)

MV
It has been a long , wonderful journey.At the start of which , I benefited from the generosity of your Dad .Thru a guy who used to consult him ! Time to give back :P
I enjoyed last weeks concert to his beat cycle.Each landing was a joy !!
Spoke to him

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Varsha-ji: Very pleased to hear that! There is no greater joy than to sample from a carefully curated collection (his included). In the days of the old tape recorder, rewind and listen to that magical sangati again and again. Fortunately, you can't wear a digitized recording out. Or that Somu-LGJ Seethapathi tape would be very thin now :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Rajeev Menon is a brilliant cinematographer -may be he has captured UKS through his camera the visual overtones too .
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 881431.ece

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

rajeshnat wrote:Rajeev Menon
Another alumnus from KV IIT Madras! :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

UKS mama gets regular writeups in The Hindu. What a lovely writeup - I wish I was born then to hear him play as a 10 year old for his arangetram concert in kumbakonam.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 003080.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mahavidwan UKS mama and Fibre Glass Mrudangam- Two writeups in the express and The Hindu

http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 833689.ece

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/ ... 57--1.html

I am just drawing an analogy here .Few decades back , the whole world for the sake of convenience went with plastic bags and we all stopped using paper and cloth bags. They appeared right then . But now Plastics have become an environment hazard . So what appeared fairly ok then is now absolutely wrong

In first place will fiber glass and glass mrudangams have the same nAdham like the jackfruit or other tree based mrudangam. We all should hear that . I donot know how it sounds . Possibly the same UKS mama can play two tanis one with the older mrudangam from jackfruit and other with fibre glass /glass- we would aurally know the difference . I donot buy this fumigation theory that much(may be it is there for the first week after fumigation), I heard great mrudhu angam sound after fumigation in the few US concerts that I attended. But the pragmatic issue of we not having more mrudangam technicians as we move on is a reality that is surely hitting. That is indeed a fair point . Personally I am okay with the jack fruit tree mrudangam(We can always grow more trees) , as I am yet to hear a live Palghat Mani Iyer Mrudhu angam touch - may be none of the mrudangist got that exact unadulterated jack fruit tree as the one that PMI got.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

The fumigation is due to the use of leather, not necessarily wood.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

rajeshnat wrote: as I am yet to hear a live Palghat Mani Iyer Mrudhu angam touch - may be none of the mrudangist got that exact unadulterated jack fruit tree as the one that PMI got
https://youtu.be/yzJJ7rcrQFs?t=1099

Parlandu to PMI on Pazhani's toppi sound!

About UKS - I remember one of his grand disciple ( thru Sri Arjun Kumar) said the same thing. Any Mridangam ( if it is in best shape within parameters under control ) comes alive!

erode14

Post by erode14 »

Upload from this #DecemberMusicSeason 2017

https://youtu.be/r_BdclZBiJI

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thank you vidwan Erode Nagaraj(erode14) , i just heard for few minutes , at my leisure will hear it during weekend . Pranams to mahavidwan UKS mama

erode14

Post by erode14 »

isai pEraRignar award by thamizh isai changam for Sri UKS Sir. தமிழ் இசை 76-ஆம் ஆண்டு இசைவிழாவின் தொடக்க நாளான இன்று டாக்டர் உமையாள்புரம் கே. சிவராமன் அவர்களுக்கு தமிழ் இசைச் சங்கம் “இசைப்பேரறிஞர்” பட்டம் வழங்கியது. Image

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

erode nagaraj
i just saw clippings of mrudanga chakravarthy uks mama performing for a lecdem in partha . what content even at this,age. After ms amma no carnatic musician has,got bharat ratna. i sincerely wish shri uks gets bharat ratna for such longevity and mrudhu angam content. cm soley exists because of mrudhu angam .

erode14

Post by erode14 »

Thank you Rajesh 💐