umayALpuram k. sivarAman

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

There are few mridangists who can be appreciated by rasikas irrespective of whether one understands layam or not. I belong to layam gnana soonyam's who can appreciate shri UKS.

One general attribute of his is the way he superbly steals few strokes of mridangam , incidentally when a singer grasps for a little lung space . Incidentally he has done with the jAmbhavan SSI (most difficult to steal..),who has rightly praised UKS in the url.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/10/13/stor ... 280400.htm

Another incident was two years before , when Suryaprakash was singing a rAgamaliga swaram of darbAri kAnadA ,for about 5 minutes he transformed the mridangam to tabla and went back to mridangam. A very memorable layam exposition
Last edited by rajeshnat on 15 Oct 2006, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Nice Hindu article. To me, Sivaraman mama is indeed the doyen of percussion artistes.

It was a great honour to host him when he played in Sydney some years ago and get to learn some korvais from him. As an aside, he prefers the spelling 'mrudangam' to 'mridangam' and he despises the term 'mrudangist' - mrudangam artistes is preferred!

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

good to finally see a thread on a mrudangist... and there is none more fitting than UKS sir to be discussed
Last edited by sankirnam on 07 Dec 2006, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

maamoondi

Post by maamoondi »

sankirnam wrote:good to finally see a thread on a mrudangist... and there is none more fitting than UKS sir to be discussed
There is one thread already on a mr'u'dangist - discussing TVG in the Tala/Laya section

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

For all my Feelings of having missed out listening to the great masters in the Golden Era 50-70 years ago, I have always comforted myself that I had one great experience , as compensation-
The experience of attending a Concert where UKS plays the Mrudangam.
The very sight of this master -as we rush to take our seats - in a majestic posture , half turned sideways and assessing the audience with a sway of his head, His deep set eyes and a twist of his mouth which borders on a smirk,the deep bass voice and impeccable language... they all add up to make blood rush through my veins .
As Rajesh says I hardly ever understand the intricacies of what he is playing , but I have always felt his style is just like a Cushion beneath the track of the main performer - always supporting it from below- as though the rendering needed to be held up for all of us to see

I have tried hard, these last few days to locate something that measures upto to my unabashed admiration for this genius.

Many years ago , one day while I was having Lunch (Prasadam) at Nanganallur Anjaneyar temple, I noticed a few video tapes tumbling out of the overstacked cupboards.
One look at the labels and I felt sorry for the genies that were bottled up in those covers- I dont know for how many years.

As I Started to discuss this with a friend who was a volunteer there , I thought of offering to convert those videotapes -to vcds-for the temple.
One thing led to another and in no time I was handling an expensive project.I had to quickly find a few known people to share the burden ( I was just into business then ,and was at a stage where I started realising the truth about the statement -WHO SAYS MONEY IS LIKE DOUGH . DOUGH STICKS TO THE HAND )

However at the end of the project -those thankless friends ended taking up a copy but never bothered to pay up their share.

It was one such day That I felt like complaining to the Lord -after I had finally handed over the complete set to the temple authorities.
The Lord with all his knowledge about the fact that I was penniless , had decided to put this extra burden me .

Strangely that day , we were delayed for some silly reason and as I picked up my Sundal in the queue I had one last look at the Diety to see if he was still making fun of me, but felt otherwise.

Just then the Secretary of the temple committee entered and the chap who was giving me the prasadam callled out loudly
"Sir, this is the person who converted all those videos for us."

I came out of the queue and We got busy talking for a few minutes , and he enquired about music collections etc
Finally he sprang a surprise -
"I hope you have collected your expense towards this."

And realising that none of us had ever discussed this , he admonished me for not bringing up this issue before and thanked me for saving their treasures from getting spoiled.And he immediately wrote out a cheque for the full amount.

Here is a clip from one of those tapes.We had to struggle a lot to clean them up etc and one can notice those damaged portions , but to my mind it is a brilliantly shot Video - One that brings out the artistry of this Titan in all its elegance.
Hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/6xjj
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/h0wg
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/k3nf

PS Kindly do not post these links in other forums and that too with notes like Courtesy Coolkarni- They are a source of endless trouble to me .Something which has made me cut down on video uploads.
But for the sake of this thread i am willing to make an exception.
happy viewing

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

Thanks very much coolkarni!
Could you just quickly let us know who the main artist is in the videos? Or are they clips of UKS sir's thani?

Thanks again.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

bmk-tnk-uks-harisankar-Vikku
they were the main ones.
The clips cover a major part of the thani and leaves out the portion where the tapes were damaged.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

just saw the first video... it is UKS and harisankar! I have been looking for a concert, or even just a thani featuring both of them for a loong time, and you have delivered a video! thanks again

prashant

Post by prashant »

Coolkarni Sir: I am sure I speak on behalf of all of us when I say "God bless you" for sharing this. Surely one of the greatest of the treasures you have passed on to us.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

thanks prashanth.
it took me a full three hours to do it yesterday ...
nice to know it was worth the effort.

hindolam

Post by hindolam »

Mr. Coolkarni I dont have words to thank you for this. I wish we had the full thani though. As you have said rightly in your post this great mridangam vidwan is a matter of pride for Carnatic music. Undoubtedly one of the greatest EVER. May God give him long life and strength to continue to enchant us like he does!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

sankiranam
another memorable bit in mp3.
One that i listen with the Volume full blast !!!
to catch all the silken movements of the fingers ..

http://www.rogepost.com/n/5372159567

a track where three great artists produce magic - not to forget the genius of the Composer.....
well there is no point in trying to describe these moments.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

is it possible to post the audio part alone for the whole tani ( am i asking for too much). This could be one of the very few concerts with 3 of the best percussionists (UKS,GH,THV) playing together. Add bmk , tnk on the stage & ssi in the audience . i was lucky enough hear it live . in fact i have heard some of the very rare concerts - MS , bmk with msg,uks , in this venue

hindolam

Post by hindolam »

Rajumds you are blessed if you indeed heard this live. Where and when was it held? Any recordings of the whole concert available?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

hindolam
one of these days , you can invite yourself for lunch at my place !!
I can play it for you.
:cool:
that should be in line with my commitment to the temple authorities !

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Wow, that was something! The crescendo in track-3 is amazing. It was also lovely to watch the reaction on the faces of BMK and Harishankar.

By the way, UKS has a great sense of humor and can make a group laugh out aloud with his witty anecdotes and observations. Truly a great human being indeed.

hindolam

Post by hindolam »

coolkarni ji. I accept the invitation. the thani can be the lunch menu!!
Last edited by hindolam on 09 Dec 2006, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

at nanganallur hanuman temple. may be 1995-96. my only source for any recording is coolkarni

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajumds
I was about to ask if SSI was there. He is there in the second part around the 00:12th second onwards.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

rajumds
i am not sure of the venue either .
But i have heard this was the inaugural concert ( Bismilalh khan also played there in that series)
Looks like it was performed in an auditorium - looking at the audience.
Other concerts held at the temple have very poor accoustics- as heard in these videos.
The one that you attended must have been a second concert that was held at the temple premises- he starts of with his own composition on Anjaneya.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

during the initial days the concerts were held in a huge pandal errected outside the temple. afterwards they were shifted inside the temple . bmk was the 'asthana vidwan'(is he still) of the temple during that time. but i am not too sure .if it was held in an auditorium then i didn't attend. the back ground & venue look similar to the MS concert which was held outside the temple.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

viewing again the concert has been held in a auditorium only. so i had not been lucky.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thanks K-ji for the electrifying video clip of Sri UKS!

Australian audiences will be able to witness the maestro in action in March 2007!

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

I still remember the first time I saw UKS sir live was in Australia, in a concert organized by Pallavi almost 10 years ago now! I was only 9 or so then, and had just started learning mrudangam. I remember my teacher at the time talking to me afterwards and saying if I noticed the tremendous speeds he has when he plays farens. Since then, UKS sir has been my role model in everything relating to mrudangam... seeing him live is like a great lesson in itself.

prashant

Post by prashant »

The child-like enthusiasm on Harishankar Sir's face while he is listening / playing is just so beautiful to watch...

Veeraraghavan

Post by Veeraraghavan »

Coolkarniji,
Is there any chance of getting the full concert atleast audio ? BMK TNK UKS THV HS one of the top combinations. I have seen that you are not uploading concerts now for obvious reasons . But this is a special request. A video of the main piece / RTP(if there was any)will definitely be a bonus. To see BMK-TNK-UKS in action. ah awesome combination!
Any chance of more UKS thanis? Thanks for DKJ - MSG - UKS that simply great!

hindolam

Post by hindolam »

Coolkarni ji please!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Veera-hindolam
I am afraid I have to decline.The "Obvious reasons" are still very very valid.
My bottomline is -How to keep the educative aspect going forward without infringing on anybodys rights - including the rights of members who complain elsewhere instead of just alerting me.:(
This ,I have arrived at ,after numerous emails to me and Let us stick to this plan.
I have survived a few stumping chances and I intend playing well within my crease- Even if rasikas keep tossing up flighted deliveries !:D

But as i said earlier , anyone is free to visit me for Lunch.That is an open invitation.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

i wonder how cricketing analogies always make sense!! :D

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

just when i was thinking of smoking you out of your cave with the sankarabharam of TRS.
anyway that can wait for another day , I guess !:D:D

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

damn my timing :(

please go ahead and u/l the TRS track! ;)

mahesh33

Post by mahesh33 »

K-ji,

I was one of those unfortunate ones that could not download the UKS thani links. Can you please upload parts 2 and 3 over...or if someelse has downloaded...many thanks in advance!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

if someone else uploads the earlier one ,I promise a new clip !!
:P

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

I will upload these video's by the end of tomorow! Anything for more UKS!

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

You can download a belting Sri Krishnam in Thodi by SSI followed by thani avarthanam. Accompanied by Mysore Manjunath on the violin and Umayalpuram Sivaraman. I do not know the name of the ghatam artist. Performed for Dussera festival, Mysore, 1981.

http://www.rogepost.com/n/3947510187

mahesh33

Post by mahesh33 »

K-ji and MRI Fan,

What a video. As many have already said, Sri UKS is indeed a living treasure for carnatic music. The unbridled joy, pride and devotion to the art is clearly seen by Sri Harishankar and Sri UKS's mannerisms when they watch and appreciate each other playing...there are reasons why we attach veneration in addition to the joy that yesteryear artists brought us...this thani shows us all of those reasons. They were great on the dais and off it too. Once, when Sri PMI's son had come over to NJ, I had the opportunity to listen to him talk to my cousin about the life and times of his father and other greats. He would only talk abt Sri Harishankar's limitless love for his art and the total unassuming modest person that Sri Harishankar was. It was so wonderful just to listen....

I thank you with all my heart for these videos.
Last edited by mahesh33 on 01 Feb 2007, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Australian audiences will get to see and hear Sri Umayalpuram Sivaraman after a gap of nine years. He is touring Australia from the end of February 2007. Two concerts are planned in both Sydney and Melbourne and one in other cities.

For more details see
www.inconcertmusic.com.au
and www.pallavi.org
Last edited by mohan on 01 Feb 2007, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.badongo.com/vid/284455

part one of the promise..
enjoy!!!

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

I feel honored to be in the file name!

MANNARGUDIYAAN

Post by MANNARGUDIYAAN »

Is there any such thread for any violinists?

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

Coolkarni sir,

Thank you very much for the recording. I've already seen it (it's posted on youtube.com at http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_8Bi-6lq70), but I'm sure other rasikas will appreciate it.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

MANNARGUDIYAAN wrote:Is there any such thread for any violinists?
Many vidwans have their own threads...please search for the one you are looking for -if you do not see one, please feel free to start one.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

then I guess i will not have to upload the second part , Right ?!

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

Well I'm sure some people would like to have the .mpg files insteading of having to stream it through the Internet.

If you would like, I could upload the rest of the thani.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

If something is avaiable on Youtube , then it is best that we leave it at that and avoid posting an upload here.
that means my promise is still not met.
working on something very very delightful- a rare session with VVS.
struggling to make clips from a AVI file !

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

This is a technicality I think we would all benefit from! Thank you

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://file.uploadr.com/c715

Two masters in action -- lovely piece of music.
part 2 follows.
different flavor to "maye ' , initially I thought He was going to play in charukesi !!
:P

could not help the small lag between audio and video.after all the trouble I went thru in converting divx to mpeg.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://file.uploadr.com/c717
concluding part of maye