Nedunuri Krishnamurthy

Carnatic Musicians
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

students like me
you are modest - if i have to go by what i heard at german hall last year -when my friend ananthapadmanabhan accompanied you on the violin... :)

same gravikiran , i suppose...

prashant

Post by prashant »

Yeah, I also had quite a treat from Sri Ravikiran at Mumbai last year in an all-Dikshitar concert...
Last edited by prashant on 11 Jan 2007, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Prashant
The kEdAragauLa piece ErAtagu is incomplete. Is that how you posted it? Also, it is not downloading as mp3(No file extension) but is playing ok when I add the .mp3 extension (incomplete though). Size is 2.46mb.

prashant

Post by prashant »

There might be some problem with the upload DRS. I will re-upload it tomorrow...

mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

I just saw that raaga.com now has a carnatic section. Some pieces of Nedunuri Garu are available for a listen (not the ones on musicindiaonline.com). I think it is his 1982 KGS concert with Lalgudi Sir and UKS SIr.

Prashant, I could not download the bahudari alapana. I keep getting 'all servers busy' error messages.
Last edited by mahesh_narayan on 11 Jan 2007, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

gravikiran

Post by gravikiran »

coolkarni sir and prashant...

listening to maestros such as nedunuri sir - especially stuff that he has sung during his younger days really motivates aspiring musicians like yours truly...
i just love the sincerity with which nedunuri sings alapana...it is almost a childlike exuberance to try and unearth new pidis/phrases...a dedication which is probably common to all the greats.
am waiting to hear suruti by nedunuri sir.
btw, i was fortunate to receive an award from him a few years ago during the AIR national competitions.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Ravikiran: suruTTi, did you say? Here is a beautiful one accompanied by Sri LGJ and Sri KRM [apologies in advance for the large file size. I have not had time to downsample it].

http://www.yousendit.com/download/Gz3iCNm8UTl5TA%3D%3D

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Sree Venkatesha Gireesham ?
Downsampling would have been criminal !!!
a rendering fit for the Gods .

prashant

Post by prashant »

gravikiran wrote:i just love the sincerity with which nedunuri sings alapana...it is almost a childlike exuberance to try and unearth new pidis/phrases...
A very apt observation; here's more evidence of that. A rAgamAlikA slOkam - shaNmukhapriyA, mOhanam, bEgaDA [just awesome!] and sindhubhairavi. Sriram Parasuram accompanies him on the violin in this October 2004 recording.

http://file.uploadr.com/bf30
Last edited by prashant on 12 Jan 2007, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/12/29/stor ... 850300.htm.

"Nedunuri recalls with embarrassment how, as an inexperienced, young performer, he had presented a disproportionately elaborate exposition of Ahiri, a minor raga, before a stalwart like Semmangudi! "While appreciating my creative ability, he affectionately cautioned me to properly understand the range and scope of a raga. This is a lesson to youngsters. Proportion in music is very important."

It is a testament to Nedunuri's greatness (Vivekam) that he could take a remark like this in the true intentions with which it was delivered and keep it in mind even 30 years later. I find his recent alapanas to be the best among his works. They clearly explore the scope and the range while demonstrating selectivity and imagination...carnatic music is a lot about achieving an immaculate balance..words dont suffice when that is properly achieved. The enATi nOmu - bhairavi uploaded by Prashant in the 2005 AIR concert was one such renedition.......easily evoking the spirit with which it was composed by the divine bard, Saint Thyagaraja.

Surutti...downloading it now. Prashant, many thanks for these uploads. :)
Last edited by mahesh3 on 12 Jan 2007, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

prashant wrote:Ravikiran: suruTTi, did you say? Here is a beautiful one accompanied by Sri LGJ and Sri KRM
Prashant:
That was awesome - took me on a serene journey to tirupati, a beautiful darshan of alamElu mangA samEta swAmi...and I still have goose-bumps (or should it be horripilation - I am never sure when to use which!)....THANKS. Absolute nirAkAra, nAda brahmam.....
prashant wrote:A rAgamAlikA slOkam - shaNmukhapriyA, mOhanam, bEgaDA [just awesome!] and sindhubhairavi. Sriram Parasuram accompanies him on the violin in this October 2004 recording.
Does anyone have the words of this SlOkam - SrEyam SringAra? And the composer?

prashant

Post by prashant »

rshankar: from memory

sAyankAle vanAntE kusumita samayE saikatE CandrikAyAm
trailOkyAkarSanAngam sura nara gaNikA mOhanApAnga mUrtim
sEvyam SringAra bhAvair nava rasa bharaitar gOpa kanyA sahasrair-
vandEham rAsa kELi rata mati Subhagam vaSya gOpAla krishNam

The entire .pdf of Krishna Karnamritam Sataka 3 is available at:

http://www.ignca.nic.in/sanskrit/krishn ... taka_3.pdf

That is probably more accurate... please look it up. Verse 98.

prashant

Post by prashant »

mahesh3 wrote:carnatic music is a lot about achieving an immaculate balance..words dont suffice when that is properly achieved.
Here's a beautiful illustration. This is truly fantastic stuff! shaNmukhapriyA AlApanA from a 1996 Mumbai concert. Enjoy it...

http://file.uploadr.com/bf6c

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

prashant wrote:http://www.ignca.nic.in/sanskrit/krishn ... taka_3.pdf
That is probably more accurate... please look it up. Verse 98.
Prashant,
Thank you. That link was very helpful and your memory was also very good!:D

prashant

Post by prashant »

Something a bit different... dvijAvanti AlApanA followed by akhilANDESwari rakSamAm. From a concert in Kansas accompanied by Tirupparkadal Sri Veeraraghavan and Umayalpuram Sri Sivaraman.

http://file.uploadr.com/bf6f

prashant

Post by prashant »

More genius and creativity - a 9-minute sAmA AlApanA followed by SAntamu lEka. Sri Papa Venkatramaiah and Pazhani Sri Subramania Pillai are the accompanying artistes.

http://file.uploadr.com/bf70

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Boy ! you are on a roll , arent you..Prashanth.
All bachelor Boy's .....take note.
This is what happens when one gets engaged and the wedding day comes nearer...
:P

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

Prashant, thanks a lot...that surutti was just magnificient.....
Valmiki said "saagaram saagaropamaa....(the sea can be compared to the sea only)" while trying in vain to find a comparison to the battle between Srirama and ravana....

now, is there a comparision to the nedunuri-LGJ duo?

thanks a ton again!

prashant

Post by prashant »

coolkarni wrote:Boy ! you are on a roll , arent you..Prashanth.
All bachelor Boy's .....take note.
This is what happens when one gets engaged and the wedding day comes nearer...
:P
Just 12 more days left Coolkarniji. Might as well U/L as much stuff I can before I am overtaken by the swarm of relatives, functions, etc! :-)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

prashant wrote:Just 12 more days left Coolkarniji
And who is counting?
CONGRATULATIONS Prashant!
"Marriage they say is like building a log fire: you throw paper and kindling at it, and blow for all you are worth. Sometimes, the smoke that billows out can almost choke you, but if you invest enough energy and time, and if the underlying logs are good, you'll have yourself a roaring fire to warm your heart for a long, long time!"
Here's wishing you a great, and warming fire!

So, in the meantime, is it going to be like the 12 days of Christmas for us?

prashant

Post by prashant »

In this tiny sindhubhairavi clip, there's such musical wealth. Not a single cliched phrase, not a single hackneyed idea. A series of inventive and unique piDis each one blending seamlessly into the other. The same aesthetic approach, whether a long AlApanA or a short sketch at the end of the concert... listen and enjoy it.

http://file.uploadr.com/bf74

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thank you for the kind wishes rshankar Sir. They are much appreciated.
rshankar wrote:So, in the meantime, is it going to be like the 12 days of Christmas for us?
I shall do my best... lining up some good stuff for the next couple days at least :-)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

prashant wrote:Thank you for the kind wishes rshankar Sir. They are much appreciated.
Just Ravi or Shankar will do fine thanks.
BTW, your tracks are appreciated equally!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Prashnath ,
you will do well to remember this famous cartoon quip too,to keep it roaring, always.
Man , returning from office , handing over a bouqet to his wife :
"Now dont go all over to pieces.
Someone left them in the Bus"
:D

prashant

Post by prashant »

Now that's good advice :-)))

vijay

Post by vijay »

Hey Prashant - heartiest congratulations!! And please continue the "kalyana-prasadam" that you have been serving us all this while for as long as possible!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Congratulations to you and your bride, Prashant! May it be a meaningful togethernerness filled with joy!

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thank you, Vijay and Arasi!

Here is more kalyANa-prasAdam: ambA saurambA in Arabhi preceded by an extensive AlApanA [padren: you have been waiting for it - here it is! :-)].

http://file.uploadr.com/bf82

padren68

Post by padren68 »

Thanks a ton Prashant. will grab it soon.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Congrats Prashant and all the best

gravikiran

Post by gravikiran »

hey prashant - hearty congratulations and thanks a ton for all the lovely music.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thanks DRS and gravikiran for your good wishes!

humdinger: here's your request - saumitri bhAgyamE. Sorry could not find an elaborate version - will keep looking [I am sure Coolkarniji will fill-in-the-blank! :-)]. Our very own Sharmaji is the violinist and Sri Kamalakar Rao on the mridangam in this recording from a Montreal concert.

http://file.uploadr.com/bf95
Last edited by prashant on 13 Jan 2007, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Congratulations, Prashant. And thankyou for all the lovely music.
Hopefully once the dust settles, we can expect doubled involvement, assuming she is also musically inclined!

prashant

Post by prashant »

Another rare tyAgarAjA krithi: endu bAyarA - dhanyAsi preceded by a nice AlApanA

http://file.uploadr.com/bfa4
Last edited by prashant on 13 Jan 2007, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

Jyothsna_music

Post by Jyothsna_music »

Hearty congratulations Prashant,

Its like rain of classic collections which you are offering as kalyana prasadam

Rgds
Jyothsna SaiRam

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

Thanks a ton prashanth!

meena

Post by meena »

prashant

Congratulations and wish u the very best :)

regards
meena

Thanks for the awesome tracks.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Prashant, Congratulations and wishing you the very best.

The alapana in Shanmughapriya was so rivetting....would I be too greeeeeeeedy to ask for the rest of that RTP?

prashant

Post by prashant »

Jayaram, Jyotsna, Meena, Mahesh, thank you!

Mahesh - you would absolutely not be greedy. It will be U/Ld later today!
Last edited by prashant on 14 Jan 2007, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

From the same concert as the suruTTi, a melodious aTANA followed by nArada gAna lOla:

http://file.uploadr.com/c038

gsn

Post by gsn »

Congrats and best wishes, Prashant!

Also, thanks for the delectable Nedunuri garu feast : ) Any chances of you uploading an elaborate Shankarabharanam / Neelambari by the master? An RTP in Shankarabharanam, if available, would be just yummy!

Thanks,
Girish

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thanks Girish: I have a couple RTPs but they are still to be converted from tapes IIRC. Let me see what I can do :-)
Last edited by prashant on 16 Jan 2007, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

gravikiran

Post by gravikiran »

could I please bother you with a request for an all time nedunuri classic muripemu galige? :) the version i have is from the live concert recording from krishna gana sabha (which also has a natakapriya).

prashant

Post by prashant »

gravikiran: the 1982 KGS recording is such a gem! I don't have another recording of muripemu easily accessible. Will look around for one. As a small consolation, maybe you would like to listen to a lovely brahma kaDigina pAdamu? I've uploaded it - the sangatis in the pallavi and the anupallavi are so soothing... also, if you would like to hear kSINamai by Nedunuri, maybe that could be arranged...?

http://file.uploadr.com/c09a

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

I have uploaded Muripemu Galige in Mukhari [not the KGS version mentioned above]. The accompanists are Lalgudi Jeyaraman and Umayalpuram Sivaraman. Main piece and I didn't have the heart to take out the thani, so it's there for you to enjoy!!

You can download the zip files from the following link.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/cj%2B ... 95TA%3D%3D

Hope you like it!

Girish - On a bird's eye view I could not find any RTP in Shankarabaranam, but I do have Swararagasudha if that's any consolation. I also have a couple of tracks with Shankarabaranam [Sri kamalamba and Alarulukuriaka] and Deenudanenu in Neelambari. Interested?

prashant

Post by prashant »

Dear Mahesh: despite a lot of conjecture, the rendition of the navAvaraNam is not by Nedunuri Garu. It is by Sri S. Rajam. The other files look lovely... especially the nIlAmbari piece. Please do upload...

Which concert is this muripemu from?

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Hmm, I have not listened to the Sri Kamlamba pirce yet, I found it when Shankarabaranam was requested. I'm busy goign thro my TRS collection at the moment :)

You can download the Neelambari piece from the following link.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/cj%2B ... x5TA%3D%3D

And I have no idea where the concert was held with regards to teh Mukhari piece, I just have it as Lalgudi and Umayalpuram. Hmm just double checked, it has the *same* list as the KGS 1982 one. Hmm, I might have a another version which I'll try and track down.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thanks for the nIlAmbari, Mahesh! Will D/L it. Probably better to remove the link to muripemu since the recording is in the commercial domain.

TRS Mama - I'll look for some uploads from you in the thread dedicated to him! :-)

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

<i>TRS Mama - I'll look for some uploads from you in the thread dedicated to him! :-)</i>

Post your fancy in the TRS topic and I'll see what I can do :)

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Prashant,

Just caught up with the Atana krithi. Arabhi, Shanmughapriya, Surutti...Nedunuri favorites. I am surprised we haven't seen any Mayamalavagowlai....excepting Vidulaku, might you have any other reneditions? A manasA eTulOrtunE, perhaps? Dont mean to hurry you though....take your time, I still need to catch up on Neelambari...