Voleti Venkateswarulu

Carnatic Musicians
Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

It is Voleti’s birthday today(27th August).Details about this great maestro are available at

home.planet.nl/~pesch082/htmlpag/E/Voleti.html

www.malladibrothers.com/ourguru.htm

carnatica.net/artiste/voleti.htm

Though I have attended his live concerts,started paying attention to his music, a decade after his death.
I am sure many rasikas in this forum can throw more light on his music.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

you can find a couple of his concerts at http://surasa.net/music/karnatak/contrib/

a lovely pantuvarali (ninne nera) remains fresh in my memory... with his characteristic hindustani phrases...

meena

Post by meena »

Nice writeup on sree voleti:
Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Did Voleti not win the Sangeetha Kalanidhi? If not, it belies common sense on part of the academy.
Last edited by mahesh3 on 27 Aug 2006, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Thanks Radhakrishnan for starting this. I am very glad. Tomorrow is the birthday for us though.
I am collecting music of Sri Voleti. Please pass information on any cds I can buy.
The best CD I recommend to every one is the one released by Prasar Bharathi, Hyderabad. After listening to it,
once can feel Voleti's music and what aalapana is and what swara kalpana is. This cd gives a glimpse of his hindustani
expertise too and he shows how smoothly, without the listener's knowledge, he gives both worlds to the listenener in
tyagarya kritis.
I am looking for Dreams Audio CD of his in the Great Masters series.

It is really a sorry matter that Madras Music Academy could not recognise him as Sangita Kalanidhi. I wish they
recognise him posthumously atleast. However he was recognised by SriKrsishnaGana sabha and sangeet natak academy.
Ofcourse, the best, recognition is we are writing about him today.

Sometime back these are the links I collected.
Also, I could search the net and get some more of Sri Voleti.

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... leti3.html (sri voleti). May be the anonymous contributor is you. :-)

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/

There is tapes exchange site http://forumhub.com/indcmusic/23049.12849.19.18.15.html. One guy has 3 concerts of tapes of Sri Voleti.

http://www.sawf.org/bin/tips.dll/gettip ... ss=&arch=1 has 2 clips of sri voleti in ranjani.

http://home.planet.nl/~pesch082/ one clip Guru leka etuvanti...

meena

Post by meena »

There is tapes exchange site http://forumhub.com/indcmusic/23049.128 … 8.15.html.
more then the 'tape exchanges' the copyright issues posts sure crack me up. Its like drumbeats that will never stop.

inconsequential

Post by inconsequential »

I suppose the link provided by meena has this in it, already. Just to spell it out, here is an article on volETigAru.

http://www.sruti.com/oct01/octbob1.html

Regards

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

mahesh3 wrote:Did Voleti not win the Sangeetha Kalanidhi? If not, it belies common sense on part of the academy.
You can add more names to that list;MDR,TKR…and in some cases like S.Ramanathan,it came very late.Whether recipients of SK or not,they were all true VidwAns,no argument about that.
Coming to Voleti,he was unique in several aspects(even his physical features were distinct!) somebody who has lived and enjoyed his life to the core.More than an excellent performer,he was a good rasika also.His passion for HM was well known and it reflected in his music.His association with certain musicians like Lalgudi,it seems Lalgudi composed PahAdi thiLAna as per the request of Voleti.
His commitment with AIR probably affected the concert musician in him(if you judge by the number of public concerts he gave)

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Recently there was a voleti festival in Feb 2006 in Hyderabad. Here is the Hindu article snippet.
I also went to a quality concert of Smt K.Seshulata (music lecturer, telugu univ, hyd) recently. She is a disciple
of Sri Voleti. It was very good.

============================

Good that the Department of Culture thought of holding festivals, naming each of them, after renowned singers who have left a mark on Carnatic music world. One of them was Voleti Venkateswarlu, who is still remembered for his music and for the way he conducted Carnatic music lessons over AIR, for three decades, inducing many a music lover to learn the Carnatic system.

Sukrita Vedika joined hands with the Culture Department in presenting a few disciples of Voleti, in their concerts. The three-day festival was held at Ghantasala Pranganam in Ravindra Bharathi.

Ode to a genius

Rich tributes were paid on the occasion as Nedunuri Krishnamurthy spoke of Voleti's uncommon skill. "It flowed out of Voleti as though water flowed out of a natural fountain, with the listener sitting immobile, eyes closed and deeply immersed in what he was rendering." Rajani Kantha Rao spoke of Voleti's contribution to radio. Culture Minister M. Satyanarayana Rao, released a CD of Voleti's concerts . `Spencer' Venugopal, held him as an example of what Thyagaraja wrote in the kriti Kaddanu Varikli in Thodi. It describes the qualities of true musician in the lines Niddura Nirakarinchi, Mudduga Tambura Batti, Suddhamaina Manasuto, Suswaramuto, Paddu Tappaaka Bhajinche ... Malladi Suribabu and Narayana Sarma, Voleti's disciples, gave the inaugural concert. They stuck to some of the melodies popularised by their guru. Like Pantuvarali piece Ninne Nera Namminaanu. The second evening of the festival opened with a talk on `Voleti's contribution to Carnatic Music' by G.N.S. Raghavan, who brought out cassettes of Pinakapani, whose disciple is Voleti, whose style is typical of his guru. Then Muralidhar of Bangalore, a disciple of Voleti, rendered songs he learnt from Voleti's radio lessons. They included delineation of Kambhoji and rendition of a Lalgudi Pancharatna kirtana of Thyagaraja - Sri Mahitha Pravriddha Srimathi. Sri Kanthimatim of Dikshitar in Hemavathi and a Kshetrayya Padam Maguva Tana in Mohana were other impressive renditions.

Good that the Department of Culture thought of holding festivals, naming each of them, after renowned singers who have left a mark on Carnatic music world. One of them was Voleti Venkateswarlu, who is still remembered for his music and for the way he conducted Carnatic music lessons over AIR, for three decades, inducing many a music lover to learn the Carnatic system.

==============================================================================

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

continued article from hindu on voleti.

========
The principal recital was a vocal duet by Sriram Prasad and Ravi Kumar, known as Malladi Brothers - in the company of B. U. Ganesh Prasad on violin, B. V. S. Prasad on mridangam and P. V. Ramanamurthy on ghatam. Nee Vanti Daivamunu in Thodi, Ragaratna Malika (Reetigowla), Paramapavana (Ranjani), a soulful Sriraga for Namakusumamula, a rare composition of Thyagaraja, with a fine swara exercises were the highlights. On the concluding day, the main concert was that of Seshulatha, another disciple of Voleti. Vade Venkatadri of Annamayya in Vasanta, Nadasudha in Aarabhi, Needasudane in Malavi, a rare composition of Venugopal of Chennai that was popularised by Voleti, Daridaapuleka of Thyagaraja in Saveri and Swati Tirunal's Pankajalochana in Kalyani constituted her main repertoire. Vijayalakshmi, widow of Voleti, was felicitated on the occasion. And she attended the festival on all the three days.

====================================================================

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

btw, how is SangeetaKalanidhi chosen now a days? Is it a bunch of vidwans choosing or bunch of secretaries (general, treaure, vp, president etc) ? Who are some others deemed tobe missing it?

I am happy to have read about Sri M Chandrasekharan winning it last year. He used tobe one of the accomplices of sri voleti. The others being MSG, Lalgudi GJRK, Annavaram Ramaswamy. Karaikudi Mani also used to be a great mridangam accomplice. The CD by PrasarBharati does not list the accomplices. any one guesses them?
It has sogasuga (sri ranjani), daridapu leka (saveri), sri raghuvara (kambhoji). You can clearly see that the accomplices were motivated and excited to play in that AIR concert. Voleti usually brings the best out of the accomplices being the concert diver. The other things I observe about sri voleti's style is long swarakalpana. One such goes for 1 min+ in this CD in fast pace. Usually it is immediately after such loong swarakalpana, he immediately hits a slow hindustani swarakalpana. His aalapana also goes into 3 octaves and usually has lot of 'lahar' and is long. The rich sonorou voice adds to all this to steal your beat.

But having listened to these 3 kritis by Voleti, I can't enjoy of these 3 kritis, from others including the queen/nightingale of carnatic MSS's renditions. I guess this is common of rasikas.

vijay

Post by vijay »

One of my favourites of all time. Someone who clearly has a complete grasp of notes and not afraid to experiment - my kind of musician! There is never a Voleti alaapana that does not provide one novel insight or the other...the unique voice may put some off but for me it has the right amount of pathos to complement the intellectual component of his music.

The lack of commercial recordings is a pity. I think I have run through most of them - I vividly remember his Kharaharapriya, Thodi, Kalyani, Arabhi, Pantuvarali and of course his favourite Sankarabharanam, among others. Pity, many major ragas like Varali, Shubha Pantuvarali, Bhairavi are not available...

BTW, hsuvarna - you should listen to DKJ's Sree Raghuvara (available from Kosmic with UKS on Mrudangam) - I am sure will find it as appealing as Voleti's.

Vijay

abadri

Post by abadri »

vijay wrote:Pity, many major ragas like Varali, Shubha Pantuvarali, Bhairavi are not available...
A couple of elaborate Bhairavi renditions
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/6cmx/05-Ni_P ... Patnam.mp3
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/z37l/05-Sri_ ... ugopal.mp3

padren68

Post by padren68 »

hsuvarna
The prasar bharathi release of Sri Voleti is accompanied by MSG and Guruvayur Dorai. It is actually an AIR National Prog concert of the begining 80s.
There are couple of commercial recordings of Sri Voleti's.
- Charsur has recently rel a concert held in ...... Sangeetha Sabha, New Delhi accompanied by Vasantha Kannan and Dandamudi Rama Mohan Rao.
- Media Dreams - A great thodi and Kalyani (quite an old release)
- Krishna Gana Sabha fund raising rel by Sony Music or some other company. Accompanied by MSG and Vellore Ramabadran (1974). This also has a spectacular thodi pallaci, Surati and a Poorvikalyani.
- Annamayya compositions rel by TTD may years back. U will perhaps get this only in the Tirupati temple. I bought it there in the book/tape shop inside the temple many years back. Havmt seen it any where else.

hareesh

Post by hareesh »

I have a record of him singing a superb ahiri (mayamma)

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

hareesh,welcome to the forum..if you plan to upload that Ahiri piece here,please make sure it is not copyrighted.

padren68

Post by padren68 »

Here is a superb varali raga alapana followed by Maragada mani - Thyagayya, quite often sung by Sri Voleti. Sung in the Sangeet Samelan, Bombay 1984
http://www.quickdump.com/files/1940898682.html

padren68

Post by padren68 »

A Karaharapriya from the same concert (has a short and sweet raga alapana) - Kori Sevimpa
http://www.quickdump.com/files/355276536.html

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Wow, great info. Great treasures.

abadri saab, namaste. thanks from the heart. the down load is complete and is playing now. I can imagine what Voleti can do with Bhairavi. It is 44mins long and I am sure he will make me believe that even the famous 'babul mora naihar..' is no strange to us in south india. One is in 79-baroda, the other 84-bombay. Thanks a lot.

padren68, thanks to you also on the wonderful info. charsur has released under the banner of 'paddhati'. I see that in internet. Regarding the other cds/cassettes,
I am not sure where can I get those. If you know please pass me info on where to buy(internet or hyd or bangalore or chennai or usa). The quickdump download is busy now. But I will poll on that.

I will catch it all with you soon. Thanks a lot.

padren68

Post by padren68 »

Most of the concerts rel as listed above are available in any big music store in Chennai. The KGS 74 concert is available at Music Land or Music World in Banjara Hills Branch, Hyderabad.
Another concert with Annavarappu Ramaswamy and Dandamudi Rama Mohan Rao was rel in Hyd in the function which u have stated (concert held in Udipi 1986)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Each musician has atleast one trademark rAga. Though I have not listened much to voleti gAru (possibly since I am not from Andhra), I find his shuruTTi wonderful. His voice fits wonderfully , voleti in shuruTTi is a novelty

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

The organization nAda bhArati released a concert of Sri Voleti about 5-6 years back in Hyderabad. This was duing a felicitation programme of Sri Sripada Pinakapani.

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

It was NOT Nada Bharathi,which released it..The Organization was "Swararnavam".
The tapes had a beautiful Mohana Rama and a lovely Surati RTP.

Sarma.
Last edited by kalgada78 on 30 Aug 2006, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

padren68

Post by padren68 »

A soulful darbar (narada guru swami)
http://www.quickdump.com/files/1784369678.html

padren68

Post by padren68 »

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

He brings up something very special (always) in

Poorvi kalyani -- panthuvarali
as well as Ranjini

meena

Post by meena »

Thanks to Appa :)

Padrenji
any info. as to when/where this pic. was taken?

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

>>> This is from the CD cover of Apsara media released in 1963. See

http://www.apsara-media.com/Voleti%20and%20Friends.html

There is a musicologist Mr Nazir Jairozbhoy in US who collects music of world and sells to class rooms. This particular CD has

a) nada tanumanisham-chitta ranjani
b) todi-
c) couple of flute kirtanas - by Sri Kannan
d) veena kirtanans by sri R.subbarao.

This was voleti in 1963. I have this CD. I bought this in by sending the cheque to apsara media.

-Harish

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Here is the CD cover.

================================

Voleti and Friends: Vijayawada 1963

Voleti Venkateswarlu’s mellifluous, resonant bass voice and modest demeanor made him a connoisseur’s favorite among the great singers of Karnatak classical devotional music. Along with other top artists from All India Radio, Vijayawada, A.P., Nazir Jairazbhoy recorded him on his “Musical Journey Through Indiaâ€ÂÂÂ

meena

Post by meena »

hsuvarna thanks

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

I haven't heard a great deal of Voleti, because I always seem to get the hopeless ones (sound quality wise I mean). However, I have heard him rendering an AlApana in purvikalyAni - it was divine!

padren68

Post by padren68 »

lovely rendition of swarams in Karaharapriya
http://www.quickdump.com/files/2095247935.html
Voleti and MSG - An awesome combination

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

padren68,thanks.

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

padren68. Thanks for the treasure. If you have aalaapana and kirtana of rama-nee-samaana, can you please post them at your convenience?

This looks like a younger Voleti. Any info on the year of concert?

-Harish

abadri

Post by abadri »

Harish,

I son't know if this is the same as padrenji's posting, but here goes (from 1982)
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/yrvi/04--rAm ... Upakam.mp3

There's also a another nice kharaharapriyA rendition from the Voleti-MSG team
available on Sai Susarla's website:-
http://www.surasa.net/music/karnatak/co ... _TVG_songs

padren68

Post by padren68 »

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Malladi brothers in an old article in Hindu:

The Malladi Brothers' father and uncle were students of that great master Voleti Venkateswaralu. "They passed on to us, the precious knowledge they gained from Voleti and in that sense, Voleti was our teacher too. Voleti was famed for his ability in bringing out a swara's beauty. And yet for him, swaras were mere steps or means to reach that pinnacle called Naadam. And having reached there one must experience naadaanandam, Voleti would say. He was indeed a siddha purusha, a rishi in music. And we also aspire to reach that naadaanandam with his blessings."

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Another rasika explaining creativity in science and music, refers

http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/dec102004/1505.pdf

Is there something identifiable as ‘progress’ in music, comparable to ‘progress’ in science? Are there periods in the history of music when revolutionary changes have taken place, leading to radically new concepts or practices? I am aware of none, at least in Indian classical music. The system based on swaras,ragas and talas has been in existence since time immemorial - some say from the period of Vedic chants. To be sure, within this framework, there have been,from time to time, several novel innovations to the form and content of the music.One such outstanding development in Carnatic music took place during the late 18th and early 19th centuries when the three great composers, Tyagaraja, Muthuswami Dikshitar and Syama Sastri created a vibrant body of compositions, referred to as kritis. I am emboldened to say that Indian classical music has been on a continuous creative path, devoid of paradigm shifts.

In contrast, over the last hundred years or so, classical Western music has experimented with its basic format. It has moved from tonality to atonality and ultimately to electronic sound. The consequences for the listener, however, have not been uniformly pleasant! The contrast from the glorious music created by Bach, Handel, Beethoven or Schubert to any of the modern composers is too stark. Several decades ago, as a young scientist, fresh from a post-doctoral sojourn abroad, and eager to find evidence of dynamism in Indian society, I was engaged for a brief period in a futile search for similar ‘progress’ in classical Carnatic music. But maturity has brought with it greater aesthetic appreciation; and, fortunately, the brain has still retained the memory of some outstanding musical experiences -the brilliance of Ariyakkudi’s neraval in the anupallavi of Sri Subrahmanyaya Namaste, the haunting Latangi alapana of Mali which brought tears to the eyes of the whole audience, the grandeur of Voleti Venkateswarlu’s Kalyani alapana, the poignancy of M.S. Subbulakshmi’s Kiravani, and the peace and contentment which I experience every time I listen to K. V.Narayanaswamy’s Kapi. I now know instinctively what creativity in Indian music means; but I cannot define it.

S. Rajappa lives at B-1, Melody Apartments,I.C.S. Colony, Pune 411 007, India e-mail: p_rajappa@vsnl.com

( Format edited by the mods for better readability )

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

=============
His association with certain musicians like Lalgudi,it seems Lalgudi composed PahAdi thiLAna as per the request of Voleti.
His commitment with AIR probably affected the concert musician in him(if you judge by the number of public concerts he gave)
=================
RadhaKrishnan Gaaru,
Finally I had the chance to listen to the pahadi thillana of Sri LGJ by Hyderabad Brothers in music india online. Well, I don't have any words to describe it. Superb composition and equally great rendetion by HydBros. Well, anything Voleti involves, turns into a great stuff. :-).
Sri LGJ though did not learn formally HM (unlike sri MSG), the north indian folk melody is pouring into it. Pahadi being so common across India, Despite that, the raagam has something in it. Sri LGJ's composition is melodious and Hyd Bros did great justice. I also felt as if I am listening to the great Mishra brothers(??) from Kashi (Rajan and Sajan). Despite having listened so many pahadi songs, this one felt fresh again.

Btw, what exactly is the last line in this thilllana

mangala kar mahadeva
shankara shambho bhava bhaya haro
ganga dhara gowri pathe
tava pankaja paado...(???? whole line???)

Usually pankaja (lotus) is not assosiated with Lord Shankara.

Thanks a lot for giving this info and letting me know that there is one such thillana. Now I am confused whether my favorite thillana of Sri LJG is revathy or pahadi.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

pankaja pAdou bhajAmi

padren68

Post by padren68 »

Here is Pahadi Thillana by Voleti - Lalgudi combination sung in IFAS 1982. Listen to BGAK's pahadi and u can see lot of similarities.
http://www.quickdump.com/files/1819428769.html
enjoy listening

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Thanks Radhakrishnan gaaru and padren68 gaaru.
padren68 gaaru, you seem to have too much treasure of Voleti. We are very fortunate.
You are right. Voleti's version is more like HM and BGAK. After all he used to say
"The rest of us but picked up the fruits that Bade Ghulam tasted and threw away."

What are the compositions of Sri Voleti? I know only one akati-velala-annamacharya-Revathy.

padren68

Post by padren68 »

hsuvarna wrote:What are the compositions of Sri Voleti? I know only one akati-velala-annamacharya-Revathy.
Not clear....

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

What hsuvarna means is: What are the other compositions that Voleti has set to music?

padren68

Post by padren68 »

Some of the Annamacharya Kritis set to music by Voletigaru are Intakante - Surati, Kandarpa Janaka - Kalavathi, Tharaya - reetigowla ....
Here is the Kandarpajanaka .... plus a lot many Sadasiva Bhramendra's, Tharangams etc...
http://www.quickdump.com/files/434211998.html

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Thanks padren68. I am overhelmed. I am keeping all songs and the archive of Sri Voleti.
I will not hesitate to pass this treasure for future generations and to some of the local music teachers.
Very few know or refer to him. But the ones who know him remember him with full heart and are very sentimental abput him.

This sounds kalavathi but I guess by mistake you named the mp3 as madhuvanti.

Here is what I have sofar.

Prasar Bharathi - CD
1963 Voleti and Friends - apsara media
Voletis in Udipi sangita parishat concert - recently released as part of Voleti's festival in Hyd 06.
Internet - 2 zips in sangeetapriya.org
surasa.net - 2 concerts
Various mp3s in this forum.

-harish

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

sorry. 3 more.

great masters series - dreams media. still trying to get hold of it. khazana.com took the order but they still are trying to get hold of it themselves.

charsur digital- padhdhtai series - trying to get hold

TTD ammanacharya cassette - next india trip.....

1987 kalakhetra concert privately recorded. I am not sure about the copyrights.

padren68

Post by padren68 »

hsuvarna wrote:1987 kalakhetra concert privately recorded. I am not sure about the copyrights.
which one is this..... pls let me know

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

This is he concert he has done in 1987 (karaikudi Mani and Lalgudi GJR krishnana).
One of the songs is GuruLeka which you can listen in Sampradaya (Ludwig's site).
It has 1) sarasiruhena (nattai varnam) guruleka(GowryManohari)
shiva-shiva(tygaraya pantuvarali) janani-nninu-ritigowla, shankarabhranam RTP
and a couple bhajans. I will enquire further whether I can publicly post it.