Carnatic Musicians
parivadini

#1101 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by parivadini »

rajeshnat

#1102 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by rajeshnat »

@parivadini Lalitharam
Many inclusive of you have talked a lot with me about Thi Janakiraman. Since I cannot read fast and give up on tamil writing soon , my interest on tamil literature is not even at times taking off. You are too far far away in skills there.

Very recently about few weeks back one of my friend Sriram from US, who i lookup a lot in understanding nuances of film music did send me a small 20 mins snippet link of a small short story written by Thi Janakiraman

The 20 mins snippet of a short story by name Seidhi where the whole short story is a running commentary of a nadaswara vidwan struggle to preserve purity of art and a carnatic music appreciation of a thyagaraja krithi written by Thi Janakiraman. This tamil snippet was read by bharathi bhaskar,Tx to her I could get the richness of both content and presentation .

I am wondering how come Thi Janakiraman wrote with such flow and content, one can almost hear the concert with his short story writing .i personally liked it .All these narrations should be externalized to all the non carnatic listeners who generally have a liking of tamil/films/dramas etc to know the greatness of how deep is Carnatic Music.

I am very glad to know through you that Thi Janakiraman likes ganAkaladhara Madurai Mani Iyer. May be he felt then in 1960s, let the world know about MMI and hence gave this commentary in English. His English narration is great .What a joy to hear anyone speaking about one and only MMI. Just a quick question, if he has written any reviews of any musicians or vaggeyakkaras atleast cherrypick and put it in the respective thread in rasikas, space it once or twice a week please.

Tx to Corona i may just read or hear more of this and get into the world of Thi Janakiraman or a better idea is as soon as the corona is over just like your exemplary MMI/GNB/Somu lecdems possibly dedicate only to Thi Janakiraman a lecdem .YOu can be assisted by VishnuRamprasad helping with the snippets of carnatic music packaged . Narration, Reviews and commentary is still not upto the mark compared to actual musical content of CM. All these emulations of Thi Janakiramans could be big game changers to pull more into CM

Just one final thought whenever you put a link just write atleast few lines on what that is in a short synopsis . Thanks to your above link which is MMI- Introduction and narration by Thi Janakiraman in English.

Over to 22 mins Thi Janakiraman short story "Seidhi" in Tamil narration based on nadaswara vidwans and appreciation of carnatic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7JLZo52E3k

RSR

#1103 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by RSR »

This is a short story in Tamizh by Thi.Janakiraman.
''Ayiram piraikaLukku appaal'. It is a parody on the state of CM in the post-1970 generation. His preference for pre-ARI music and HM is clearly brought out .
https://www.valaitamil.com/aayiram-pira ... _1829.html
Janakiraman's Thamizh cannot be translated into any other language- it has to be read in Thamizh only.
Will it help, if I give a transliteration?
-----------------
In this story, an old typewriter ,oldest in the company talks about its owner Lokanatha Iyer and his tastes in HM and CM of old times.
Then it talks about ARI style of concerts and finally of the post 1970 generation of keyboard music. ( derisively).

Pasupathy

#1104 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by Pasupathy »

Thi.jaa. about Madurai Mani (in Tamil)
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2020/06/1556-234.html

rajeshnat

#1105 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by rajeshnat »

Pasupathy wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 17:52 Thi.jaa. about Madurai Mani (in Tamil)
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2020/06/1556-234.html
Thank you pasupathy Sir. THi jaa has written very concisely as a great eulogy . 2 musicians of himalayan stature who died in 60's one GNB and another MMI did not have that much recordings due to absence of technology and to an extent untimely death. Also the last few years of MMI he also had his ailment. I am assuming thi jaa may have even attended MMI concerts when MMI camped in mayavaram due to fear of world war II .

shankarank

#1106 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by shankarank »

The pallavi tAnam and svaraprastara is of the highest order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63HwwUyRc_0

Don't miss this :

https://youtu.be/63HwwUyRc_0?t=3731 - My god! Where does this music come from??!!! Mani Iyer(s) and MSG!!

parivadini

#1107 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by parivadini »

rajeshnat

#1108 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by rajeshnat »

Superb writing by you to append the brilliant
thi ja.

ajaysimha

#1109 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by ajaysimha »

my grandmother while recollecting her nostalgic moments ...

she imitated the signature singing style of MMI by singing a sample of - sri raghuvara sugunalaya

i wonder if there is any recording of this krithi by master? i could not find any.

but i got a version by his shysha - TV Shankaranarayanan
https://youtu.be/YqELYN30Kag

pvs

#1110 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by pvs »

Request to all rasikas:
I have a 3 minute recording (one side of disc?) MMI's sukhi evaro upto anupallavi and am looking for the second half. Please help! Thank you.

rajeshnat

#1111 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by rajeshnat »

While i willfully missed an opportunity to say not hear a legend like Tiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramanyam(TRS), but damn it i was not even born to hear this supernova Madurai Subramanian Highest Iyer (MMI), i got a message saying today in Rama Navami day (Apr 21,2021).

Where did MMI sing this huseni and kedaram combo? Could that be a mylapore rAma navami or malleswaram rAma navami or matunga rAma navami or mayavaram rAma navami. Pointed sarvalaghu ideas making us all believe Hey this is carnatic music and this is celebration Rama navami. The uploader is BaluMMI sir , thanks to him and also VK Viswanathan Sir (@cacm ) who are the primest prime MMI rasikas who have envious record of hearing MMI and took that joy to atleast few generations forward.

RAmA Ninne Followed by Rama Neepai (Swaras) - huseni and KEdaram - Thyagaraja Rama Navami Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOcuP90QCok

As veeyens sir says Let Rama bless all the carnatic musicians from this rama navami day after you hear the one one and only Ganakaladhara
Last edited by rajeshnat on 21 Apr 2021, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

#1112 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by rajeshnat »

Forgot to add then the link of MMI lecdem by Lalitharam and Vishnuramprasad.
Madurai Mani Iyer Lecdem by [email protected] Sastri Hall on June 17th,2018
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31433&hilit=lecdem

rajeshnat

#1113 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by rajeshnat »

pvs wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 06:12 Request to all rasikas:
I have a 3 minute recording (one side of disc?) MMI's sukhi evaro upto anupallavi and am looking for the second half. Please help! Thank you.
Check this . The recording is bit distorted https://youtu.be/cEgkju67DuM?t=451

pvs

#1114 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by pvs »

Thank you, Rajeshnat sincerely. I think I was not clear in my message. I have listened to MMI's Sukhi Evaro many times from many concerts. I was keen on getting the second half of that particular disc recording. I will try to post the part I have soon. that will likely help. Thanks again.

sikhivahana

#1115 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by sikhivahana »

pvs wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 17:29 Thank you, Rajeshnat sincerely. I think I was not clear in my message. I have listened to MMI's Sukhi Evaro many times from many concerts. I was keen on getting the second half of that particular disc recording. I will try to post the part I have soon. that will likely help. Thanks again.
I think the recording being requested here is the Sukhi evaro rendering from a particular EMI record which had a mix of different recordings- starts with Thaye Yasoda, Kapali... then goes to very young MMI recordings of Orajupu, Parimala rangapate, Dunmargachara, then back to an older MMI with Sukhi evvaro, Maaye. This particular Sukhi evvaro “gets done” with Anupallavi. The source recording from where this song was pulled into this kadambam record is not known.

Is the charanam from this pre-recorded Sukhi evaro available at all?

Lakshman

#1116 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by Lakshman »

I have both sides of this recording recovered from an old spool tape. If anyone is interested I can upload it.

Purist

#1117 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by Purist »

Lakshman Sir, please do upload.

Lakshman

#1118 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by Lakshman »

I have sent it.

Purist

#1119 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by Purist »

Thank you Lakshman sir.