arumarundoru - kAmbhOji - muttutANDavar

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
prashant

Post by prashant »

I searched for a discussion on this krithi but could not find it. Could I please have the lyrics and a translation?

Thanks in advance...

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Prashant, here it is; Ifeel some corrections may be there.

P: aru marundoru tani marundidu ambalattE kaNDEn
A: tiru marunduDan pADum marundu tillai ambalattADum marundu
iru vinaigaL arukku marundu Ezhai aDiyArkkirangum marundu
C1: konrai tumbai aNinda marundu kOdai mIdil paDarnda marundu
manruLE ninrADum marundu mANikka vAcakar kaNDa marundu
2: indiranAnavar vAnavar pOTrum iruDigaL tamakkeTTA marundu
candira sUriyar kANA marundu tAnE muLaittut-tazhaitta marundu
3: tiritti tittiyenrADum marundu dEvAdi mUvargaL kANA marundu
karuttait-tirutti irukkum marundu kAlanaik-kAlAl udaitta marundu

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Here is the meaning; got it from the internet.
The whole verse talks about Lord Nataraja in Cidambaram describing his attributes. Marundu is just medicine to cure illness (can also be called a magic potion)

P. A rare medicine and a unique one--I found in this world.
A. A sacred medicine (that is to sing) is the medicine that is dancing in Thillai. One that destroys the bad deeds (in this birth and next). One that is compassionate to the downtrodden.
C1. One that wears the flowers KonRai and Thumbai. One which dances in the stage. One that Manickavacagar discovered.
C2. One that the celestials praise and one that is suitable for the saints (irudigaL==Rishis). One not to be seen by the moon and the sun. One that sprouted and flourished by itself (swayambu??).
C3. One that dances "tiritti titi" that *delights the dEvAs (mUvargaL=three). One which sharpens your thoughts and one which kicked the Lord of Death (kAla samhAram).

c3-* I wonder if it means 'delights the devas' or the one not seen by the devas.
Someone may clarify.

this kriti he composed on being bitten by a snake enroute to chidambaram, (needless to say and he got cured of the bite).

All this, I got from the internet. Hope this will suffice. It was a co incidence that I was looking for some song and I came across this and just then I saw your request.
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 30 Sep 2008, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thanks Punarvasu! Guess I was looking in the wrong places :-)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Prashant, I tried to correct some of issues I had with the meaning posted above, but they were too many, so I ended up re doing the whole thing! Punarvasu, I am sure you will not mind, because I see that you already had some issues with the version you found.

P: aru marundoru tani marundidu ambalattE kaNDEn

I have found/realized (kaNDEn) a (oru) rare (aru) remedy (marundu), a unique (tani) nectar/ambrosia (marundu) in the temple (ambalattE) in cidambaram.

A: tiru marunduDan pADum marundu tillai ambalattADum marundu
iru vinaigaL arukku marundu Ezhai aDiyArkkirangum marundu

This is the divine (tiru) remedy that sings (pADum) sweetly (marunduDan) [1] and dances (ADum) in the temple (ambalattil) [2] of cidambaram (tillai). This is the remedy that destroys (arukkum) the consequences of of the two (iru) types of karma/consequences of deeds in previous lives (vinai) [3], and the remedy that is compassionate (iRangum) to the poor (Ezhai) devotees (aDiyArkku)

C1: konrai tumbai aNinda marundu kOdai mIdil paDarnda marundu
manruLE ninrADum marundu mANikka vAcakar kaNDa marundu

This remedy is adorned (aNinda) with leucus leaves (tumbai) and flowers of casia fistula (konrai) [4], who dwells/dancers (paDarndu) on (mIdil) back of the goblin (kOdai) muyalakan, and has deigned to reside (ninru) and dance (ADum) in (uLLE) the golden hall/assembly (manru) of cidambaram. It is the very same remedy that SrI mANikkavAcakar realized (kaNDa).

2: indiranAnavar vAnavar pOTrum iruDigaL tamakkettA marundu
candira sUriyar kANA marundu tAnE muLaittut-tazhaitta marundu

This remedy is commended (pOTrum) by those (Anavar) who have been honored by the status of 'indran' [5] and the celestials (vAnavar), and is appropriate (Etta) [6] even for the sages (irudigaL tamakku). This is a remedy that is not available (kANA) to the sun (sUriyar) and the moon (candira). It is a remedy that germinated (muLaittu) and flourished (tazhaitta) on its own (tAnE)

3: tiritti tittiyenrADum marundu dEvAdi mUvargaL kANA marundu
karuttait-tirutti irukkum marundu kAlanaik-kAlAl udaitta marundu

The remedy that dances (ADum) to the sorkaTTu (diditai didi yenru) was not apparent (kANA) to the gods (dEvAdi) and the tamizh-trinity [7]. It is the remedy the rights (tirutti irukkum) our thoughts (karuttai), and kicked (udaitta) the mighty Lord of death (kAlanai) with its/his feet (kAlAl).

FOOTNOTES:

[1] IIRC, marundu, in one of those delicious twists of irony can also mean sweetness (something, that I have issues with to this day - sweet medicine to me is an oxymoron! :))
[2] ambalatil+ADum = ambalattADum
[3] The two vinais are nalvinai and tIvinai (virtuous deeds, and bad deeds, respectively) - interesting to note that Sri muttutANDavar feels that the consequences of nalvinai also need to be destroyed.
[4] The symbolism of the konrai flowers: the showers of golden flowers from this plant/shrub/tree symbolize the cascading compassion from the ever-merciful Siva
[5] indra is a title bestowed on exemplary beings - the best among the gods is dEvEndra, the best among men, narEndra and so on. It does not mean any one person, but, it is used interchangeably with 'dEvEndra'.
[6] If this is eTTa, then, the line should read, and is available to/achievable by (eTTa) the sages (irudigaL tamakku)
[7] The tamizh mUvar are - appar, sundarar, and tirugyAna sambandar.
Last edited by rshankar on 30 Sep 2008, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Reading through this again made me realize that there is big difference in my interprettation of these lyrics and the one given earlier. I wonder if I have put my 'foot in' here - hopefully, others will help figure this out.
Last edited by rshankar on 30 Sep 2008, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

both the translations have not touched the phrase-
'kOdai mIdil paDarnda marundu'- does it refer to the 'ardhanArI'-concept?
rshankar, as I wrote, I took the whole thing from the internet and posted.
I was wondering what 'dEvAdi mUvrgaL' meant. You have interpreted as the Gods and others and the tamizh mUvar; I was under the impression it is 'tamizh nAlvar'.:|
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 30 Sep 2008, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Punarvasu,

Thanks for pointing that out - I apologize for leaving that out. I interpret 'kOdai' here as the goblin on whom he dances, symbolizing the destruction of ignorance. I have edited my post to add this in.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

IIRC, the fourth of the nAlvar is not a nAyanmAr....

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Je suis ravi :)--I am delighted that you translate songs. There is a difference between 'sincere' translations and yours. The word 'sincere', according to my professor. His story: a frenchman went to dine at an english restaurant and the chef was keen on getting his opinion on his cooking (remember too that in those days english cooking was, well, mediocre if that was at all possible). 'How is it?', he kept asking and the french man was polite and after a pause murmured, 'it is sincere, very sincere, monsieur!'
One can either take the sincere and good translation from elsewhere or go by yours with the spark of imagination.
A caring singer can sit with the dictionary and pick all the correct meaning of words, but it is any day better to go for the one which conveys the 'feeling' of the song--the way in which you translate. You are better in another sense too. You give a lot of background from the myths which relate to the lines...
Last edited by arasi on 30 Sep 2008, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

In carnatic music parlance, the tamizh mUvar are Muthu thANDavar, AruNcala kavirAyar and MArimuthApiLLai.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks, Arasi!
These exercised heighten my enjoyment, and sometimes, putting it down makes it all the more enjoyable to appreciate the divine spark in composers! My respect for all composers is enormous, especially when I realize how apt the choice of words, the choice of the order of words etc. are. Simply awesome! This is just a mere effort to understand and appreciate them more.

prashant

Post by prashant »

rshankar wrote:This is just a mere effort to understand and appreciate them more.
Your translations do just that for me me, Ravi. Although they are not 'mere' efforts, the amount of sensitivity and hard work that goes into them is very clear. Thank you very much for this. Now, on to learning the krithi! :)

natarajabhaktha

Post by natarajabhaktha »

Songs on the Lord do really make one charged up.....

Here is a fine rendition

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=UyGfq1imX74

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, natarajabhaktha.
To hear our fellow-forumite sing muttut tANDavar's song in his sweet ,
bell-sounding voice was a treat. Looking forward to hearing him sing more such songs...
Last edited by arasi on 02 Oct 2008, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Here is a rendition by Smt. DKP: http://www.sangeethamshare.org/manjunat ... York-1977/

Beautiful!!!

She sings the anupallavi as 'tirumarunduDan pAga marundu' - I guess this will change the meaning? Ravi / Punarvasu / arasi - please do clarify...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Prashant,
I don't know, but could the pATantaram be (oru--understood, unsaid) bAga (bhAga=part) maundu? ardha nAri?

Kanchi

Re: arumarundoru - kAmbhOji - muttutANDavar

Post by Kanchi »

Can I have the violin notation for Arumarunthoru please?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It is sent.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

This kriti was recently featured in Bharthi Ramasubban's concert for Nada Inbam that will premier on the 11th of April.

It seems Muthuthaandavar would trek daily to the Chidambaram temple from Seerkazhi where he lived and during one such trip was bit by a venomous snake. He survived and composed this song.