sri jalandhara

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
revanthv552

Post by revanthv552 »

i need the lyrics & chittaswarams of sri jalandhara masrayamyaham in raga gambeeranattai
this is a composition of mysore sadasiva rao i think,.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

shrI jAlandharam. rAgA: gambhIranATa. Adi tALA. Composer: Jayachamaraja Odeyar.

P: shrI jAlandharam AshrayAmyaham jalajAkSam
A: shrI jAhnavI dharam shankaram shrI vidyA svarUpam shashidharam
shrI vAsam sharvamshivA ramaNam phaNigaNavara bhUSaNam
shrIta janAnantAbhISTha phaladam shrI sadAshivama anisham
C: purA devAtA kAryartham tripura dahana kArakam triambakam
murAri dEvOttama pUjitAdi pavitra pAdayugaLa yuktam
tArakA vadArtham mahA sEnarUpa dharam dEvAdi pramukham
darAdhyAkhila nAma pratipAdyam hamsam jagadyapakam anantam
purandarAdi sannuta gambhIranATya pradarshaka nAgalingam
marakatamaNI shObhita lingam tAraka tEjOrUpa vAyurlingam

anirudhgs

Post by anirudhgs »

I am recently learning this song and was researching the meaning and came across the story of Jalandhara and Vrinda. From what I read Jalandhara was the demon and Lord Shiva kills him. So when we sing "Sree Jalandharam ashrayami" are we seeking refuge in the demon Jalandhara? I am a little confused about this. If anyone has any insights please let me know.

ksl

Re: sri jalandhara

Post by ksl »

I have the same question. Who is jalandhara? Can someone give me meaning for hte lyrics? This wikipedia post confused me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalandhara

Its a composition by Odeyar. So i thought Jalandhara is a shiva-kshetram somewhere in karnataka. But can't find anything like that.

ksl

Post by ksl »

The song is extremely lively and there is a ragamudra for gambheeranattai which i havent seen before

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Dr.Shrikaanth has provided the meaning of this song here:
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... bfd2#p4902

ksl

Post by ksl »

Thanks for the meaning. But i still do not understand who is Jaalandhara. Why is siva called that. How is he tejomaya vaulingam. I thought vayulingam was at kalahasti. Is there a particular kshetram in reference to this song? Maybe something in karnataka? How does jaalandhara look like? Is it a lingam or a form of siva?
THat link touches upon these questions but no clarification.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

KSL - this may answer some of your questions

http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/machal.html
(Please note than jalandhara would sometimes become calandara or chalandara in Tamil)

According to Sanskrit grammar, it would be possible to derive a name for Shiva such as Jaalandhara based on his exploits of killing Jalandhara. Hope Vidya will shed some light on this.

ksl

Post by ksl »

Thanks Rajani. FOllowing your lead lead me to the following:

1. thiruviRkudi is the temple associated with JaalandharAri. The latter name makes immediate sense- enemy of Jalandhara.
2. I should note that the demon is jalandhara and siva is called Jaalandhara. Can't figure the second form one.
3. I googled thiruviRkudi and the siva there is called Veerattaneswarar with his consort Periya nayagi. Other than Rajani's link no other link i could find talked about the name Jaalandhara. Here are three
http://temple.dinamalar.com/en/new_en.php?id=427
http://www.southdreamz.com/temple/sri-v ... uvadhigai/
http://thiruvadhigaiveerattaneswarar.bl ... warar.html

4. The dinamalar link i posted does talk about Jalandhara, the demon's story. So that makes the connection little stronger. That link says tulasi is offered to Siva which also corroborates the story.
5. The other two links point to this being the temple associated with burning of tirupuram. So, thats confusing. This temple has two stories associated with it?

6. Veerattaneswarar is in the form of a linga. Another link says its a panchamukhi linga.

Any help appreciated thanks. Someone please tell me this is hte right connection between Jaalandhara and temple in thiruviRkudi.

ksl

Post by ksl »

I just realised the song also talks about tripura dahana. So maybe that temple has two stories to it and Jaalandharam is an ancient name lost somehow in the tamil tradition.
Also the thiruviRkudi temple supposedly has a chakra sthalam which makes sense with Jalandhara-killing.
Just wondering, howcome a linga has jalajaksham. Usually thats reserved for a human form, usually vishnu.
Also, the tejorupavayulingam reference, i dont get
Words like "Shri Vaasam" in the song, i dont usually associate with Siva
NATYA Pradarshaka nagalingam...i kind of dont get. I usually dont hear lingam and natya pradarshakam in the same line.

ksl

Post by ksl »

Rajani, turns out Tiruvirkudi is indeed the abode of vanquisher of Jalandhara
This is the most detailed post on the above topic,i have come across http://kshetrapuranas.blogspot.com/2011 ... basil.html

ksl

Post by ksl »

Oh, there is a twist in the story.

"It is believed that the soul of Jalandhara, remained on the earth for a long period of time, yearning for Moksha (liberation). The soul established a Shiva Linga at Kanchi, and offered regular worship, until the Lord finally took pity and merged the soul with him. The Linga worshipped by Jalandhara is now enshrined in the temple of Jalandharesam, a few miles away from the Ekambareshwarar temple at Kanchipuram."

Usually son of vasudeva is called vAsudeva, son of dasharatha is called dAsharathi and so on. I was wondering why siva who is kind of the father of jalandhara is called jAlandhara. Maybe jAlandhara is not jalandharaari. Maybe its the lingam jalandhara made which is somewhere near kanchi. Let me google and get back.

Karaharapriya

Re:

Post by Karaharapriya »

revanthv552 wrote:i need the lyrics & chittaswarams of sri jalandhara masrayamyaham in raga gambeeranattai
this is a composition of mysore sadasiva rao i think,.
Here are the chittaswarams

PPPN MMMP GMGP MNPM PMGS MGPM NPSN PMGM
PMNP NPMG MGPM NPSN SNSG SNPS NPMG PMGS
SSGS SMGG PMMN PPSS SGNN SPPN MMPS PMGS
SSNP MGSS MGSN PMGM PNSN SGMP MGSS NNPM

Bold is upper sthayi, italics is lower sthayi.

ksl

Post by ksl »

I have some completely unrelated ideas about jaalandhara now. It might not have much to do with the temple at Tiruvirkudi. Here the utsava murthy is called JalandharAri. No leads on shiva being called jAlandharam.

However in lalitha sahasranama i found the following:
kaameshwara praaNanaaDee krutagyaa kaamapoojitaa |
shrungaara rasa sampoorNaa jayaa jaalandhara sthitaa || 82

Apparently JAlandhara peetham is one of the 4 most important sakthi peethas. If my understanding of web material is to be followed JAlandharam is the peetham near current day jalandhar in punjab (also called jAlandhar in some websites) where devi's left sthana fell. The bhairava at that peetham is called Bheeshana Bhairava. The song JAlandhara supeetasthe might be a reference to this sakthi peetham.

So JAlandharam could just mean shiva residing in the peetham of jAlandhara.

Some sites also mention JAlandhara bandha, the hatha yoga posture to be a reference point for JAlandhara supeetasthe. Not sure about this connection though for Siva. Something to do with Visudhdhi chakra. So Shakti as JAlandhara peethasthite could be a reference to one who resides in Visudhdhi chakra.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sir,
I don't know if this will resolve it for you, but my thoughts:
1. As a Srividya upasaka and scholar, Wodeyar would have in all probability some Tantric or Shaiva context here. Clearly the grammar shows he is referring to Shiva as jAlaMdhara.
2. In SrIkanTheSvara SatanAma, Shiva is called jalaMdhara, (carries gaMgA) so it could be an elongated vowel permitted in some musical contexts perhaps.
3. One who dwells in the region of jalaMdhara...many Shiva temples there.
4. Shiva is also called Aditya, and you can see the dictionary shot below

In other words I don't think it refers to the demon.

gops98

Post by gops98 »

Hello,
Can I get notation for this song pls

shrI jAlandharam. rAgA: gambhIranATa. Adi tALA. Composer: Jayachamaraja Odeyar.

My email id is malinigopala@yahoo.com.

Thanks & Regards,
Gopala

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have it only in kannaDa script if you want.

Accompanistmpl

Post by Accompanistmpl »

Lakshman wrote: 22 Feb 2017, 20:19 I have it only in kannaDa script if you want.
Please send it to me

Vaibhavpai@gmail.com

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Please check your mailbox.

pvijay

Post by pvijay »

Can I get the notation for this song please- pvijayaraghavan9@gmail.com. Thanks.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sent.

P. S.

Post by P. S. »

Could someone kindly provide this song's translation?

P. S.

Post by P. S. »

Sorry I did not realize the translation had already been provided.

Uma Maheswari

Post by Uma Maheswari »

Namaskaram. Can anyone please help me with the notation for Sri Jalandara in ghambira natai. My mail ID is sumca.90@gmail.com . Kindly excuse me if I have posted in the wrong place, since I am new to the forum.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It is sent.

balajij

Post by balajij »