thillana-poornachandrika

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
revanthv552

Post by revanthv552 »

can i get the lyrics of thillana in poornachandrika .it goes like thom thom tha nana thathara thaani nana dheem.....
its very brisk...and charanam is in telugu going like needhu mahima ...

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

tOm tOm tatara. rAgA: pUrNacandrikA. Adi tALA. Composer: Poochi Iyengar.

P: tOm tOm tatara tatara tAni dhru dhru dhIm tOm tattara tAni tattara tAni
A: nAdrudru dhIm tom drudru dhIm tana dirana dirana tAni drudru dhIm dhIm tana dhirana
tattara udani tAni dhittilanahana tanOm tari tajhaNu taka tadingiNatOm
C: nIdu mahimalanu telisi sharaNamani ninnu migula kOri vacciti ganucu
nAdu cintalanu vEga dIrcarA nAganAthuDanucu suravara sadaya
(sholkaTTu)
tAm takiTa ma pa ni pa ma dha ga tajhaNu sA ri ga , ma pa ni dha dha Na ka ma pa ni pa
jhamta pa ni pa ri* sa* jhaNuta sa* ri* sa* ni pa jhamta sa* ni takiTa jhaNuta tadingiNatOm

revanthv552

Post by revanthv552 »

thanks a lot 4 dat lakshman sir....

parimalphadke

Post by parimalphadke »

where can I get the meaning of the sahityam of the tillana

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Revanth,

What does ganucu mean?

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

rshankar wrote:Revanth,

What does ganucu mean?
The word is "ganuka"
With one more correction, the lines will be:

C: nIdu mahimalanu telisi sharaNamani ninnu migula kOri vacciti ganuka
nAdu cintalanu vEga dIrcarA nE-nanAthu-Danucu suravara sadaya

Gist: O suravara, O kindhearted, As I had come having learnt about your powers and hoping for your protection, please clear my troubles, considering me helpless.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rigapada,

Thanks for that clarification.

Since Parimal requires a padArtha for bharatanATyam choreography, here is my attempt at providing a word-to-word translation of this caraNa - can you please correct any errors?

Oh pre-eminent (varA) among the gods (sura)! Oh kind-hearted (sadaya) one! I have learned/understood/heard of (telisi) your (nIdu) fame/prowess (mahimalanu) and therefore (ganuka), I seek/come here (vacciti) greatly (migula) desirous of (kOri) your (ninnu) succor (SaraNamani)! Please consider (anucu) me (nEnu) destitute (anAthuDu), and quickly (vEga) destroy/remove (dIrcarA) my (nAdu) worries (cintalanu).
Last edited by rshankar on 26 Aug 2008, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

Dear Shankar,
Your translation is very good. As I read it, a very old story narrated by our Sanskrit teacher came to my mind:
Once two brahmins visited the court of King Bhoja. They were told that only Poets are entertained by the king. They went and sat down in a nearby temple to write some poems to present to the king. How ever much they tried, they could complete only one line:

bhOjanam dEhi rAjEMdra! ghruta pUpa samanvitam |

Luckily for them, Poet Kalidasa came to the temple. These two poets prostrated before him and requested for his help. He completed the poem for them thus:

mAhisham ca Sara-cchandra- candrikA-dhavalam dadhi ||

Thank you Shanker, for your nice translation.

--Sarma.

Umesh

Post by Umesh »

I have absolutely no knowledge of the Telugu language, but in all the recordings I have heard of this tillana, the singer articulates "nAganAthuDanu" as Lakshman has written. Does this carry the same meaning... ? You can take a listen on MIO.

P.S. This was my arangetram tillana. :-D

parimalphadke

Post by parimalphadke »

Thank you very much ! now I can definitely choreograph this. I wish I would have known telugu , Kannada and all the regional languages . I have learnt tamil , but only know how to read and write.

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

Dear Umesh,
I had given the version given in the book by Dr Pinakapani. "nAga-nAthu-Danucu" will mean "considering me the lord of Nagas". It does not fit in with the rest of the song.
--Sarma

Also, the song is credited to "Ramnad Srinivasa Iyengar". Is he the same as Poochi Iyengar?
Last edited by Rigapada on 28 Aug 2008, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

108talas

Post by 108talas »

I hv heard 'naga nathunuchu' (nathu+anuch). May be mean to Vishnu (Lord of naga - shesha)... Also the composer is indicating his mudra of 'venkateSA' thru this here.

Rigapada - yes it is the thillAna of Ramanathapuram Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar

PS : your id is 'mohana' arOsai/arOhaNam ???
Last edited by 108talas on 28 Aug 2008, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

PS : your id is 'mohana' arOsai/arOharNam ???

Yes. Thank you for spotting it.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sarmaji,

Thank you for teh compliment!

I enjoy reading your corrections and explanations - they are very scholarly, concise, and educational. My understanding of telugu has improved significantly as a consequence! So, thank you once more!

parimalphadke wrote:I have learnt tamil , but only know how to read and write.
That in itself is an awesome achievement!!

Ravi

Kanchi

Re: thillana-poornachandrika

Post by Kanchi »

Can I get the swara notation for this thillana please? Also anybody have the violin notation for the Patham Theruvil varano in Kamas ragam?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It is sent.

nulls

Post by nulls »

It might be possible that it is Naganathudanucu, IMHO, since Nainar Koil is in Ramanathapuram District (the composer is from the same place isn't he) and Naganathaswamy is the deity there - this just occurred to me since this deity is my maternal kuladeivam.

Regarding Shri Rigapada's post above, #11,' "nAga-nAthu-Danucu" will mean "considering me the lord of Nagas"' - this may not be true since the Telugu word for "me" ie "ne" doesn't occur in naga-natha-Danucu. So the line could mean "Please obliterate my worries fast, Oh kind-hearted pre-eminent of Gods called Naganatha", couldn't it? In Tamil, it would read "Naganathan engira suravara sadayan"..