Meaning of lyrics for mundi varum in rAga Bhairavi

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Jigyaasa

Meaning of lyrics for mundi varum in rAga Bhairavi

Post by Jigyaasa »

Could someone please provide the meaning of this Oothukadu Venkata Kavi composition:

P
mundivarum ishaiyil – en chintai koḷḷai koṇḍāl
pindivarum unakku uṇḍu kolō
āvinam toḍara pashuntuḷabham ashaindu varum

AP
andi veyyil mēnikku azhahu vaṇṇam poosha
aṇi ābharaṇattoḷi aḷḷi aḷḷi veesha
shindum oḷikkiraṇam shenṛu kaṇṇaikkoosha
chinnanchiru vālāl kanṛu kavari veesha

C
munnellām enṛa shol attanaiyum maṭṛai eduvum marandu pōnadē ippōdu
iduvē shirandu ānadē - shonna maṛaimozhi innavidam enṛu
muzhudum marandu pōnadē ippōdu iduvē shirandu ānadē
kannam kuzhiya pozhi gāna kuzhaloodi chinnappadamkoṇḍu chella naḍai naḍanduvarum

rshankar

Re: Meaning of lyrics for mundi varum in rAga Bhairavi

Post by rshankar »

Is there a recording?

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Just following up on this request in case anyone is able to assist. Thanks!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you... will attempt it soon

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is how I think this composition plays out, with a beautiful description of the cowherd, kRshNa returning home at dusk after having herded cows all day.

As always, comments and corrections welcome.

pallavi
mundivarum isaiyil – en cintai koLLai koNDAl
pindivarum unakku uṇDu kOlO
Avinam toDara pasuntuLabham asaindu varum

If my (en) thoughts/mind (cintai) have already been stolen (koLLai koNDAl) by the music (isaiyil) that comes (varum) ahead (mundi) of the cows (Avinam) that follow (toDara), and the (garland of) fresh/green tuLasi leaves (pasunntuLabham) that sways (asaindu varum), why do you (unakku), who appears (varum) much after/behind (pindi) (all these), have/carry (unDu) a stick (kOlO) [1]?

anupallavi
andi veyyil mEnikku azhagu vaNNam pUsa
aNi AbharaṇattoLi aLLi aLLi vIsa
sindum oLikkiraNam senRu kaNNaikkUsa
cinnanciru vAlAl kanRu kavari vIsa

As the (rays of the) setting sun (andi veyyil) [2] add/layer/smear (pUsa) beautiful (azhagu) colors (vaNNam) to (your) complexion (mEnikku), and the glitter (oLi) from the jewelry (AbharaNattu) (you) wear (aNi) scatters (vIsa) (light) in great abundance (aLLi aLLi), and the rays (kiraNam) of light (oLi) scattered (sindum) thus cause the eyes (kaNNai) to squint (senRu kUsa), and the calves (kanRu) swish (vIsa) their tiny (cinnanciru) tails (vAlai) charmingly (kavari), (If my thoughts/mind have/has already been stolen by the music that comes way ahead of the cows that follow, and the garland of fresh/green tuLasi leaves that sways, why do you, who appear much after/behind all these, have/carry a stick?)

caraNam
munnellAm enRa sol attanaiyum maTRai eduvum maRandu pOnadE ippOdu
iduvE siRandu AnadE - sonna maRaimozhi innavidam enRu
muzhudum maRandu pOnadE ippOdu iduvE siRandu AnadE
kannam kuzhiya pozhi gAna kuzhalUdi cinnappadamkoNDu sella naDai naDanduvarum

Words (sol) such as (enRa) "previously/prior" (munellAm) and all (attainaiyum) others (maTRai) have been forgotten (maRandu pOnadE); at this time (ippodu), this alone (iduvE) [3] has become (AnadE) superior/great (siRandu). The teachings (innavidam enRu) of the sacred texts (maRaimozhi) have been totally/completely (muzhudum) forgotten (maRandu pOnadE); at this time (ippodu), this alone (iduvE) has become (AnadE) superior/great (siRandu), As (you) go (sella) with a dancing (naDai) gait (naDanduvarm) with (koNDu) your tiny (cinna) feet (padam), playing (Udi) the flute (kuzhal) that showers (pozhi) music (gAna), with your cheeks (kannam) dimpling (kuzhiya), (If my thoughts/mind have/has already been stolen by the music that comes way ahead of the cows that follow and the garland of fresh/green tuLasi leaves that sways, why do you, who appear much after/behind all these, have/carry a stick?)

FOOTNOTES
[1] kOl is the stick that cowherds carry (Surdas-ji describes kRshNa, the cowherd carrying a lakuTi/stick)
[2] andi veyyil is the sunlight (veyyil) at the time of dusk/twilight (andi) - it is typically a bit hazy with the dust raised by the clattering hooves of the cows that return home after grazing all day - andi/dusk/twilight is picturesquely called gOdhUli in Hindi for this very reason
[3] I think 'iduvE/this alone' refers to the sights and sounds of kRshNa returning with the cows - the sights and sounds that have captured/stolen the composer's heart/mind/thoughts, making him forget everything else that he has heard/learned/studied up until then - 'this alone' becomes his sole reality

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Thanks so much, rshankar; listening to the song with an appreciation of the lyric has enhanced the experience tremendously! Such lovely kavitvam to imply that the stick as a tool of control is obviated because krishna's music and beauty already exert complete control.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Very nice Ravi!

kavari is the fly-whisk (chaamara)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you, Jigyaasa for asking for the meaning - my goals for attempting these translations is two-fold: 1) to learn from the process, and 2) share the joy I experience from listening to these brilliant composers.

Pursuant to my first goal, I have to thank Sri PB and Rajani for their corrections. I cannot edit my first post, so I am reposting it with the appropriate corrections.

As you can see in the corrected version, the pallavi really packs a punch. The kavi of Dhenushvasapuram bemoans the fact that if his mind is completely captured by, and engaged with the music, how can he find even a small part of his mind to appreciate the divine creator (of the music) that comes into view much later....what a wonderful problem to have!!

pallavi
mundivarum isaiyil – en cintai koLLai koNDAl
pindivarum unakku uṇDu kolO

If my (en) thoughts/mind (cintai) have already been stolen/captured (koLLai koNDAl) by the music (isaiyil) that comes (varum) ahead (mundi), how will I be able to appreciate/attain (uDDu kolO) you (unakku), who comes (varum) much after (pindi) with a swaying (asaindu varum)(garland of) fresh/green tuLasi leaves (pasunntuLabham), followed (toDara) by the cows (Avinam)?

anupallavi
andi veyyil mEnikku azhagu vaNNam pUsa
aNi AbharaṇattoLi aLLi aLLi vIsa
sindum oLikkiraNam senRu kaNNaikkUsa
cinnanciru vAlAl kanRu kavari vIsa

As the (rays of the) setting sun (andi veyyil) [2] add/layer/smear (pUsa) beautiful (azhagu) colors (vaNNam) to (your) complexion (mEnikku), and the glitter (oLi) from the jewelry (AbharaNattu) (you) wear (aNi) scatters (vIsa) (light) in great abundance (aLLi aLLi), and the rays (kiraNam) of light (oLi) scattered (sindum) thus cause the eyes (kaNNai) to squint (senRu kUsa), and the calves (kanRu) swish (vIsa) their tiny (cinnanciru) tails (vAlai) like fans (kavari), (If my thoughts/mind have already been stolen/captured by the music that comes ahead, how will I be able to appreciate/attain you, who comes much after with a swaying (garland of) fresh/green tuLasi leaves, followed by the cows ?)

caraNam
munnellAm enRa sol attanaiyum maTRai eduvum maRandu pOnadE ippOdu
iduvE siRandu AnadE - sonna maRaimozhi innavidam enRu
muzhudum maRandu pOnadE ippOdu iduvE siRandu AnadE
kannam kuzhiya pozhi gAna kuzhalUdi cinnappadamkoNDu sella naDai naDanduvarum

Words (sol) such as (enRa) "previously/prior" (munellAm) and all (attainaiyum) others (maTRai) have been forgotten (maRandu pOnadE); at this time (ippodu), this alone (iduvE) [3] has become (AnadE) superior/great (siRandu). The teachings (innavidam enRu) of the sacred texts (maRaimozhi) have been totally/completely (muzhudum) forgotten (maRandu pOnadE); at this time (ippodu), this alone (iduvE) has become (AnadE) superior/great (siRandu), As (you) go (sella) with a dancing (naDai) gait (naDanduvarm) with (koNDu) your tiny (cinna) feet (padam), playing (Udi) the flute (kuzhal) that showers (pozhi) music (gAna), with your cheeks (kannam) dimpling (kuzhiya), (If my thoughts/mind have already been stolen/captured by the music that comes ahead, how will I be able to appreciate/attain you, who comes much after with a swaying (garland of) fresh/green tuLasi leaves, followed by the cows ?)

FOOTNOTES
[1] As I have learned, uNDu kolO means "will I get it?"
[2] andi veyyil is the sunlight (veyyil) at the time of dusk/twilight (andi) - it is typically a bit hazy with the dust raised by the clattering hooves of the cows that return home after grazing all day - andi/dusk/twilight is picturesquely called gOdhUli in Hindi for this very reason
[3] I think 'iduvE/this alone' refers to the music and the sights and sounds of kRshNa returning with the cows - the sights and sounds that have captured/stolen the composer's heart/mind/thoughts, making him forget everything else that he has heard/learned/studied up until then - 'this alone' becomes his sole reality