Veena Padmanabhaiah

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
shobana

Veena Padmanabhaiah

Post by shobana »

Namaskaram.

I have choreographed a Jatiswaram (Kannada) composed by Veena Padmanabhiah and would like to know more about the composer.
All I could find is he was probably a Mysore court musician and father of Veena Shivaramiah (who was also a Mysore court musician). I'm not sure if this info is authentic.

Kindly help me if any further details about Veena Padmanabhaiah (say his period or other compositions etc).

Thank you,
Shobana

PS: If this is not the right forum for this topic, kindly excuse my ignorance and let me know the right forum please.

kmrasika

Re: Veena Padmanabhaiah

Post by kmrasika »

Shobana wrote:I have choreographed a Jatiswaram (Kannada) composed by Veena Padmanabhiah and would like to know more about the composer.
All I could find is he was probably a Mysore court musician and father of Veena Shivaramiah (who was also a Mysore court musician). I'm not sure if this info is authentic.

@Shobhana
Glad to hear and yes,he was born to Guṇda Bhaṭṭa, a purōhit, and Lingamma, in 1842, and was named thus as he was born the fortnight after ananta padmanābha vrata, which became his adopted aṅkiṭa/mudra. Although belonging to a family of purōhitas, he gravitated toward music.

Groomed initially under Vēnkatēśa śāstri of Hosadurga, Padmanabhayya had the privilege to listen to visiting stalwarts when he undertook advance training under vīṇā śeṣaṇṇa, whose home was a beehive of rich cultural activities.

There is a story of how he ended up using artificial silver nails to play the vīņā. He was also appointed as asthāna vidvān in the court of kriṣṇarāja oḍeyār. He taught music to members of the royal household as well. He also taught Mysore Vāsudēvācārya.
Padmanābhayya was infected with the plague and he passed on Saraswathi pūjā day in the year 1900.

Padmanabhayya has penned a number of svarajatis, kīrtana-s in Telugu aand Sanskrit, some javaḷi-s as well as a set of pañcaratna kīrtanam-s.

shobana

Re: Veena Padmanabhaiah

Post by shobana »

Sorry for late response.

Thank you so much for the details.

-Shobana