Lalgudi G. Jayaraman

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
meena

Post by meena »

----
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Best wishes to Sri LGJ on this occassion. True legend. Unforgettable thillanaas.

mdsmenon

Post by mdsmenon »

Can somebody post the jugalbandhi concerts of Lalgudi with TNS?
Regards

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Yeah, I thought I'd read LGJ had performed his final concert too. Maybe it was at the BBoard...

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Vocalist wrote:Yeah, I thought I'd read LGJ had performed his final concert too. Maybe it was at the BBoard...
It is this very thread see page 1.

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=4744#p4744

sangeetarasikan

Post by sangeetarasikan »

IMHO, Lalgudi's solo wasn't as phenomenal as his accompaniment. I sometimes find that he becomes a caricature of himself during his solo renditions, excessively stretching certain swarams for highlighting the bhavam. His accompaniment is however another matter. We have seen so many brilliant violinists (Mysore Nagaraj, Manjunath, Gayatri when she used to play, Akkarai Subhalakshmi) but there are hardly a few who can match Lalgudi's class. I repeatedly get goosebumps when I hear his quick repartees for Alathur bros or GNB. Even though he has taken his last bow from the concert circuit, his old recordings will give us solace.

CSS

Post by CSS »

No doubts about this. Shri LGJ was and is the greatest violinist who excelled more when he accompanied artistes. Was he inspired by them ? Was it the challenge ? The ability to exactly reproduce what they sang and even go further ? Unfortunately, with his seniority, you cannot expect him to play 'second fiddle' to artistes much younger than himself !

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Thank you DRS. Didn't think of looking there/here :S lol

The LGJ trio altogether are quite good too. As strange as it may sound, the item I most look forward to in his concerts is/are LGJ thillana(s). Listening to him play at his senior level now (especially the thillanas), I feel I'm being transported into a dreamy kinda world...

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

Has Lalgudi in his solo concerts ever rendered the 4raga Shankarabaranam Thodi Kalyani Darbar RTP? I wish somebody post the concert in full for the benifit of the members Bye Venkat

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

Does anybody have the 4 raga pallavi concert of his.I believe he played this at Bangalore.The ragas Shankarabaranam Thodi Kalyani and Darbar It would be great if I could lay my hands on it Thanks Bye Venkat

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Ragjay wrote:Has Lalgudi in his solo concerts ever rendered the 4raga Shankarabaranam Thodi Kalyani Darbar RTP? I wish somebody post the concert in full for the benifit of the members Bye Venkat
Just for your info, posting full concerts is not allowed in this forum.

Musicfan

Post by Musicfan »

My vote to Lalgudi Jayaraman as greatest ever Indian Musician till date. Unmatched in any sphere of music.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

[quote sangeetarasikan]
[ IMHO,Lalgudi's solo wasn't as phenomenal as his accompaniment.]
Lalgudi conducted an orchestration while accompanying. he is a master accompanist.
Last edited by chalanata on 22 Nov 2006, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

The 4 raga RTP is available in the sangeethamshare site, It is a wonderful treasure worth possessing
Kiran surya I am aware of the guidelines of this thread it was a request made with the intention of knowing if any one had the recording. For ur inf I had the privilege of listening to a 4hr concert of lalgudi playing this piece elaborately I had a copy of the recording which is damaged beyond redemption

meena

Post by meena »

----
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.

ars

Post by ars »

Sri Lalgudi has not accompanied any artiste in several years now. Does anyone know whom he accompanied last?

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

Can anyone inform how many vocal concerts he has given? I heard one at Vani Mahal in the company of GJR and Vellore.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

The case of the Perfect 10

Way back in 1976 , when reports of Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10 at the Olympics splashed all over, I was a bit puzzled by the expression -Perfect 10.
Sure I knew that there would be judges who would be scoring and taking averages , but in those days , when I did not have access to TV , it was difficult for me to comprehend the full meaning of the expression.
And so when I took my doubt to my Dad and asked what was the nearest other thing I could relate with a Perfect 10, he looked up from his paper , thought for a while , and said

' Maybe a Lalgudi Concert.That is the closest that I can think of " and went back to his paper.
Decades later , while listening to a KGS concert of 1981, I am reminded of those words.Here are a few tracks from that memorable concert.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4b0mpo
03-Orajoobaju-Kannadagowla.mp3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/174l81
05-Rama Nee Samana-Kharaharapriya.mp3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/eetdv1
10-Rtp-Keervani.mp3

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/06/15/stor ... 940300.htm

I think we should move this to the vAgEyakaras thread...
Kji,
Any possibility of u/l his navarasa padavarNam, and
Lji,
Can we have the lyrics for the same?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

angayarkkaNNi (navarasa varNa). rAgamAlikA. Adi tALA.

1: Anandam. (rAgA: bilahari)
P: angayarkkaNNi Anandam koNDALE dishai engum venru veTri vAghai cUDinALE aNivIrargaL ratha gaja turagamuDan
2: shrngAram. (rAgA: husEni)
A: nangai kailainAthan tanaik-kaNDAL manam koNDAL nANik-kunindu iLa naghai cinda ninrAL
3: adbhutam. (rAgA: valaji) (ciTTasvara sAhitya)
erittAn mAranai kAlAl udaittAn kAlanai shivapirAn cirittE muppuram poDi ceida adbhutam kaNDu viyandAL
4: hAsyam. (rAgA: sArangA)
piTTukku maN sumandu ulagOr pirambaDi paDa vaitta shivanAr viraguk-
kaTTODu pADa umai kai koTTi cirittAL vAi potti naghaittAL
5: bIbhastam. (rAgA: sucaritra)
C: dEviyaip-paNindu aruL peruvOm
1: patiyai madiyAda dakSanin cerukkAl veruppuTrAL dAkSAyaNi
6: raudram. (rAgA: aThANA)
2: mahAkALi kapAlini trishUlini simhavAhini cinandezhundAL
kaNDamuNDa koDiya bhaNDAsuranai khaNDa tuNDamAi vadam sheida
7: bhayAnakam. (rAgA: rasikapriyA)
3: AlakAla viSam aran arunda arakkan kailai tanaik-kaiyAl asaittiDavE tighaitta
8: kAruNyam. (rAgA: shahAnA)
tAi pOl itdAraNi tannil dayai ceivAr uNDO aruT-pArvaiyE jagam kAttiDum
tuyar tIrttiDum em annai tanjam enrAl uLLam kanindu tanik-karuNai ceivAL
kaNNIr malgi karuttinilE tirup-pAdattai iruttiyE
9: shAntam. (rAgA: nAdanAmakriyA)
sarvAnandamaya cakravAsini shrI lalitAmbikaE sharaNam sharaNam ammA
muzhu mati mukham aruL vizhi punnakai tavazh ezhiluruvE unnai ennALum
tudippOm avaniyil anbu oTrumai arivATralum amaidi Anandam aishvaryamum
aruLvAi shAnta svarUpiNi sharaNam ammA shAnta svarUpiNi mInAkSi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks, Lji!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks rshankar and Lji. Nice choice of ragas by Lalgudi Jayaraman for the various rasAs.

Music

Post by Music »

Beautiful ragas in the padavarnam. Can anyone explain the meaning of this padavarnam? With my limited knowledge of Tamil, it looks more like a description of goddess Lalitha. Are there the navarasas really being expressed in the lyrics?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Pallavi expresses how mInAkshI was happy with her dik-vijayam, and anupallavi describes how on seeing the lord of Mt. kailAsh she felt overcome by love and coyness (because, she realized he was the ONE - the legend, when she appeared from the ceremonial fire as malayadhwaja pANDyan was performing the putrakAmEShThi, it was noticed that she had a supernumary mammary gland - a voice - asharIri - announced that it would disappear when she set eyes on the man she would marry - mInAkshi actually gets to Mt. kailAsh to conquer it, and defeats the shiva gaNas that are first sent to do battle with her, and finally shiva comes to do battle - but mInAkshi feels her extra breast disappear and is overcome by shringAra)...and so on and so forth...amazement (wonder) as she watched shiva destroy tri pura, kick yama, burn manmathan...laughed as she saw the whole world feel the swatch of the cane that hit shiva on his back, disgust at daksha for disrespecting her husband, fear as she saw halAhalam almost destroy her husband, compassion, like that of a mother to her devotees, and Lalgudi asks for the blessings of the SAnta swarUpiNi - the ever calm one.

Music

Post by Music »

Thanks, rshankar.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

not sure if this had been posted before. I just happened to stumble upon this.

Lalgudi G. Jayaraman sings with daughter - 'Gathi neevani' - Thodi. Video filmed in Lalgudi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q57HF9Yy6A

madhurya

Post by madhurya »

Thank you Vasanthakokilam...gathi neevani by sir and daughter was superb.:)

rajajisrinivasan

Post by rajajisrinivasan »

Looking for a Lalgudi (violin) version of Sree rama padama in Amruthavahini - preferable downloadable. I've a version where he sings. Can post if there's interest.

Thanks

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

The Music Academy will be honouring Lalgudi sir with the LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. I think this is the first award of its kind. I personally cannot think of a more deserving awardee. Sincere felicitations to the maestro!

More details at:
http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/news/20080116/lalgudi.asp

gsn

Post by gsn »

Fantastic news! Humble pranams and sincere felicitations to the great genius.

-G

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Shri LGJ thillana lyrics is in the url
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=70656

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Rediff.com has done a story on Lalgudi today. Sad to note that he has suffered a stroke recently.God bless the great man
http://specials.rediff.com/news/2008/apr/18slid01.htm

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

http://specials.rediff.com/news/2008/apr/18slid02.htm
It's this page that has the interview.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Heard AIR -MDR-LGJ-PMI today..LGJ has clearly demonstrated how to be subdued and at the sametime excel while accompanying a senior artist.Kedaram(song not familiarto me)and Giripai-Sahana.Ofcourse need not mention MDR 's ingenuity.His slow tempo and gaps inbetween were filled up by LGJ/PMI.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Actually that interview was published on 18th, and we discussed it in another thread, but certainly no harm in mentioning it again, it is a brilliant interview.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

A great legend truly! Happened to hear his Charukeshi Varnam today. Brilliant!
Sathej

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Every one,
I agree the interview was great etc. But for HEAVEN'S SAKE DON'T TALK ABOUT SOME ONE ELSE'S HEALTH PROBLEMS ESPECIALLY WHEN WHAT IS WRITTEN IS WRONG. ITS IRRELEVENT TO THE CREATIVITY OF THE LEGEND. THESE CROCODILE TEARS BEING SHED ESP. WHEN THEY ARE TOTALLY WRONG SHOULD BE CONDEMNED. HOW DO I KNOW THE INTERVIEWER WAS SANE? vkv

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

vkv PLEASE STOP SHOUTING AT US!

I enjoy your posts and I respect what you have to say, but I will not be lectured and shouted at.

Maybe you are not aware that this is now it comes accross --- but it is.

We will talk about whatever we please. The state of health of a major musical figure is a matter of public concern and interest.

Of course, if we hear bad news, and you are able to correct it with good news, then that is very welcome indeed.

REVISITED SOME TIME LATER...

It seems a long time ago now, but stuff hangs around on the internet for ever,
so I would like, having just come across it again, to say that the misunderstanding
between us about posting styles has been cleared up, and I am sorry for it

25 July 2008
Last edited by Guest on 25 Jul 2008, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I will not be lectured and shouted at.
If anyone says anything like to me, I always say, "It's too late: you just were!"

;) :)

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

@ nick H and vkv43034

OF COURSE the state of health of such a great vidwan is of great concern to his rasikas! In fact, I went to the Vidushi Vijayalakshmi–Vidwan Vittal Ramamurthy kucheri in part to get to see him. :)

I have never seen him perform live, and only heard his records. After having seen him, I definitely hope he becomes all right and showers us all with fresh rains of musical creativity.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Echoed a thousand times!

isai_rasigan

Post by isai_rasigan »

Lalgudi Sir turns 78 today. Wishing him many more happy returns of the day.

tkb

Post by tkb »

Seeking his blessings from him for Sathya and all music lovers.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Namaskarams to the legend Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman on his birthday. An all-time great and an inspiration to all of us who love Carnatic Music.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Our respects and regards to the great vidwan. May he be blessed with many more years of active and fruitful life.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Celebration, lec-dem and concert tonight, 6.00pm, Vani Mahal, T. Nagar.

Happy Birthday, Sir :)

eppramod

Post by eppramod »

Today Morning Shruti (Worldspace radio) had a feature on him,including his (and his disciples)performance,compositions etc.

Happy Birthday to the Great Vidwan

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Birthday Wishes to the Great Vidwan!