Dr. Shrikaanth K Murthy

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

drshrikaanth wrote:Suji- I have already shown the patterns and splits. Please follow that. Dont try to split them yourself. I have shown the splits by using hyphens in the notation, as I always do.
I only meant a way to play by memorizing.
As with swarAs for ranjani varNa, I did not have to memorize. My fingers would automatically move in a sequence. Im finding it difficult with this one.

Ramakriya,
I thought Ill wait until Arun's Notation editor is done :D

Ill do that when I find time.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arunk wrote:perhaps your browser is using previous version from cache? Do you see a choice for anuswara word endings under sanskrit tab?

Arun
Thanks for the tip. Yes, it was using the previous version :) Now I see the choice for anuswaras under samskrita tab

-Ramkriya

arunk

Post by arunk »

Suji Ram wrote:I thought Ill wait until Arun's Notation editor is done :D
:D Could be a long wait. But pressure pressure :)!

Actually if you give me it now, with what I have developed so far I may be able to generate a pdf file (but in english).

Arun

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

arunk wrote:Sorry for this diversion. Drs - if possible can you (or someone else) pl. post your rendition of sahana varnam (old link obviously deleted from rapidshare) and also notation pl?
Audio

http://www.rogepost.com/n/6975546736

Notation

http://www.rogepost.com/n/0973363849

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

deleted
Last edited by Suji Ram on 09 Feb 2007, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

thanks drs.

arasi

Post by arasi »

DRS,
An impressive piece of work, and complex too. Need I ask you about the source of inspiration? :) For those who think sahAna is a plaintive rAgA, here is a lively piece to disprove it...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi
The answer is simple!
DRS loves sahana above everything except perhaps his mother earth (prithivi (spelling mistake intentional :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

sahanaiyuDaiya sahAnA, saha gAnamum kUDa!
avargaL ulagamena oru priyamAna prithvi...:)

prithivi, CML??
Last edited by arasi on 09 Feb 2007, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

It is 'pruthvi',
I believe DRS derives it from 'p^Rithu' meaning broad/spacious/abundant ..and also viShNu. Whereas 'p^RithivI' meaning earth (one of the five elements) is derived using uNADi sUtra!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

arasi wrote:DRS,
An impressive piece of work, and complex too. Need I ask you about the source of inspiration? :) For those who think sahAna is a plaintive rAgA, here is a lively piece to disprove it...
I also found the tAla complex for a varnam. That was one difficulty in learning too. DRS seems to have composed it with such ease. Just noticed that he composed this a year ago on this day!

Are there any other varnams in miSra triputa ?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Suji Ram wrote:Are there any other varnams in miSra triputa ?
Lakshman is the best person to answer this question.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I could not find any in this tALA among the 900 or so varNAs on my list.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

ramakriya wrote:if it does not trouble you can you upload the uttarAnga notation as well?

-Ramakriya
Ramakriya

http://www.rogepost.com/n/9869481779

here's the entire notation in kannada. You have to proof read.
I hope the murthy has come out correctly now.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Lakshman wrote:I could not find any in this tALA among the 900 or so varNAs on my list.
Thanks lakshman

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Lakshman
I just found 1 varNa in the tALa- kAmakOTi sundarAnguDa of vINe SEShaNNa, A rAgamAlike. This is a real odd varNa- The pallavi, anupallavi, ciTTeswara, ettugaDe pallavi and 4 ettugaDe swaras are in behAg and then there is long tail of rAgamAlike swaras starting with behAG, 13 rAgas and behAg again!!! I can hardly believe it!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

drshrikaanth wrote:Lakshman
I just found 1 varNa in the tALa- kAmakOTi sundarAnguDa of vINe SEShaNNa, A rAgamAlike. This is a real odd varNa- The pallavi, anupallavi, ciTTeswara, ettugaDe pallavi and 4 ettugaDe swaras are in behAg and then there is long tail of rAgamAlike swaras starting with behAG, 13 rAgas and behAg again!!! I can hardly believe it!
wow!!
You should render it for us !

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Suji Ram wrote:You should render it for us !
:rolleyes: Are you trying to get me to quit the forum :lol:

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

DRS: The varNa you mention is listed in my database but as tripuTa tALA.
It is available in Compositions of Veene Seshanna (by B.K.Padmanabha Rao, H.Yoganarasimham and R.N.Doreswami) on page 80. I don't have this book though.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Please update it as miSra tripuTa.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Here's my attempt at one of DRS kritis.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t8ow9s

kaLavaLu tIripiya varakA- pItavasana kESava ||P||

aLara kanne kRShNA kRShNA | a^NDa kShaName vandayAmE |
aLala tALAdinDEsu | aNNa unna aLacAmE ||AP||

muntivariya mansilla | pintivAngakkAcilla |
cintipiyAdiruduma^NNa | SrIkAntu samayamilla |
muntikOdu tOcitilla | muTTiruLU kaLanjilla |
munti pintihaLa valla | murahara nInEyellA ||C||

for more discussion

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=255&p=10
Last edited by Suji Ram on 02 Sep 2007, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you Suji for your rendering. Well done! Wish I could hear it from Sahana too with the words.
At least Karnataka-based artistes should pick up this lovely kriti and sing it. How refreshing it would be to hear a sankEti kriti sung in a concert--especially in karnataka...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

well done suji!
Of course pointed comments can be given onlyby DRS whose shruti sensitivity is phenomenal.

I whole-heartedly second the views of arasi that CM musicians should start singing Sanketi language songs which is equally one of our rich SI heritage. I sincerely hope the movement started by DRS through his pioneering weighty compositions will be followedup by noted CM performers.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thank you Arasi and CML for listening.
I enjoyed very much learning this kriti in kApi.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Good to hear this composition on Lakshmi Keshava, the deity of my village. Thanks Suji Ram - I had missed it in the first round.

If anyone has a vocal version which Shrikaanth might have uploaded earlier, I really appreciate getting it :)

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 05 Sep 2007, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks Ramakriya for listening
Here's the one posted by DRS

http://www.sendspace.com/file/x2nakv

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Here is a composition of DRS in manOranjani -rUpaka tALam- cidambaranilayE pAhimAm sung by Vid RN Srilatha in a concert in Mysore

http://www.sendspace.com/file/os4tgf

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Very nice. Excellent song and rendition. Thanks.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks once again, Suji!

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Thank you for the lolely rendition. She is a wonderful singer. Isn't she the rudrapaTTaNam brothers' younger sister?

Also, does anyone have the rAmAyaNa mangaLa sULAdi mALikA (think the starting words were "dA ShrIramacandra...") notation or audio?

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

kmrasika wrote:Also, does anyone have the rAmAyaNa mangaLa sULAdi mALikA (think the starting words were "dA ShrIramacandra...") notation or audio?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/r6ar4q

l'll post the notations tommorrow
Last edited by Suji Ram on 04 Feb 2008, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Suji Ram: I did not expect such a rapid response. :cool: Thank you and will await the notation. Thank you again.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jyli99

here's the notations for the sulAdi

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Thank you, Suji Ram!

spsslog

Post by spsslog »

Dr.Srikanth,

I am unable to get mp3 about Bhaje Sharadamba....Can you pls mail me the correct link for download or mail me the mp3 itself to kprasad8@gmil.com

Rgds

K.Prasad

Rachana

Post by Rachana »

Great thread....Interesting discussions about the language and songs.I would like to listen to the songs.Can anyone help, please?I get 'sorry' and' file not found' messages when I click on the links.I am from a sankethi family and would like to know more about the saraswathy temple opened by sankethis near Tirunelveli in Tamilnadu.
Last edited by Rachana on 13 Sep 2008, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rachana,
I did not know that there was a Sarasvati temple near Tirunelveli! Please give more information about it.

Sanketi or not, Dr. Srikaanth's compositions are worth hearing and need to be sung by performers and students.
I hope the songs which are requested (and more) are obtainable.
DRS's songs do not need to wait a dozen years before they are sung (and played) by performers.
Hope someone can oblige Rachana with the song.
Last edited by arasi on 13 Sep 2008, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

Rachana

Post by Rachana »

Arasi,
Even I am keen to know about it.I have heard that some sankethi families collectively did saraswathi poojas near Tirunelveli a few years back.I will share it here when I get the details.....
I think the songs need to be uploaded again ..
Last edited by Rachana on 13 Sep 2008, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Unfortunately the songs can be uploaded only with the permission of Dr Shrikaant Murthy (DRS). it is his intellectual property. He shared them at the net out of generosity and out of his passion for promoting CM in the sanketi language. In fact he is the first (and the finest) exponent of CM in the sanketi language. It is now up to him to make them available here or in a different format format elsewhere!

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

Is the permission of the composer required to sing his songs. May be arasi and ramraj can share thier views on this

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Uploading the songs to internet might need artist permission, but singing? If the song is known publicly, why not? I am not sure why permission is needed to sing? I support vaggeyakaras compose songs for singing.. if we don't sing - how do they become popular?

-hari

arasi

Post by arasi »

I would only be too happy if more people sing my songs, and those of DRS, Ramaraj and others. To hear our songs sung in our life times is a privilege indeed. Though DRS is very young, I bet he is just as happy when he hears his compositions sung by others. Suji (on the violin), Ahiri and Sriram and Sahana (singing) have already been heard on the forum. Those can be reposted. Still, it is a good idea to get the composer's permission.
As for myself, I would be delighted to hear my compositions sung by our own very talented members who perform and others who find whichever of my compositions appealing.
DRS is unique in the sense he is the youngest and yet the most endowed in scholarship. His songs are in sanskrit, tkannaDA and sankETi (which is what is exciting because in all the years that sankEti has been around, none before him, to our knowledge, has composed in sankETi). His lullaby alone stands out.
He is an extraordinary individual in his professional acumen (a psychiatrist) and is endowed with unbelievable knowledge for someone so young. Well, knowing him has been a pleasure for me...

arasi

Post by arasi »

I would be very happy if one of our friends on the forum posts some krutis of DRS anew, so that newcomers can hear them. Would be nice also for us to listen to his compositions again...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi

At this point re-uploading DRS's kritis will require his permission. They are his intellectual property though he shared them for once in the public domain.

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
Recently when I wrote to him, I did ask for the krutis (at least some of them) to be reposted on the forum. He said there was no problem about that. May I say you have my word on that? I know that you and some others on the forum feel the same way as I do--that his compositions should be made available to musicians.
His sankETi compositions can be sung in karnATakA where there are many sankEti families. It is a cultural enrichment to the community too...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I totally agree with you. He is a gifted composer and it will be a loss to CM (especially SankEtis in which he is a pioneer) if his kritis are not popularised. I trust he will come back and revive his links with the Forum or find other means of propagating the knowledge.

I am sure he will oblige if there is a ground-swell of demand from our Rasikas. Let us wait for some time.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Last edited by Suji Ram on 28 Oct 2008, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thanks Suji Ram for the uploads - I had not heard some of these compositions.

BTW, the compositions in vamSavati, sourasEna, vasanta bhairavi, and kAntaswara are in Kannada (language) and not in Sanketi.

-Ramakriya

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Ramakriya,
thanks for the correction. I have uploaded some more in my post

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you Suji.
Ratna, Hari and others who wanted to listen/learn DR. Shrikaanth's songs can do so now.
karnATakA singers can add a sankEti song to their repertoire too.