Arasi (Smt. Rajee Krishnan)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 27 Dec 2009, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

gnaanam wrote:Dear Friends, i am happy to tell you all that I am notating all the songs of our ,Arasi ammaiyar, and making all arrangements to publish a book so that all musicians and students of music can learn all the songs and sing .Shortly you can hear all the songs sung by all the vidwans and vidhushis.
gnaanam(smt neela ramgopal)
Hope you have a great dikshitar day concert at bangalore. Could you please let us know where you are , what progress you have made , how much more to go in terms of arasi's notation of all songs.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

rajeshnat wrote:... I have deleted myself
We sincerely hope that you have not!

:lol:

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

...an elite like rajeshnat can nnever get deleted :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

We know arasi is furiously working to get her songs organized to make us a New Year gift!
Let us just keep our fingers crossed and wish her Godspeed!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

here's my humble attempt at one of Arasi's composition.
When I first heard this composition it took me back in time when I climbed the tirupati hills with my parents when I was in school. The whole climb was wonderful just like this song. The madhyama kAlam sahitya flow of this song reminds me of the final run on the steps we all took to finish to the top.

Arasi,
Your line "malaiyAy nambinEn" is just fantastic!! Just my experience!!
Thank you for bringing back this memory

I have played this song at a slow pace- I guess the raga is best when sung slowly. (but offcourse it my inability to play it fast!)
I start with a 2 min alapana in the raga.
it is a tough raga -to manipulate around the countours of this raga. There are some rough edges to be smoothened.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/2334f3b3-ae29 ... -vEnkaTavA

Lyrics are included in the clip

Happy dIpAvaLi to all.
Last edited by Suji Ram on 17 Oct 2009, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suji,
What a surprise of a dIpAvali gift!
You have taken the trouble of learning the song even without notations :) and have put your heart into it. I am moved by the account of your remembering your first trip to Tirupati on hearing this.
What I like besides is the way you have put up the sAhityam along with your playing (you, enterprising youngsters!). You have even corrected vEngaDava (it is printed as vEnkaTava on the CD).
Music is in you, and you are going to go a long way. My best wishes to you, always.
Thanks for the present again :)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Great job Suji. Well done!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

WOW!
You took us by surprise! And what a fine melody! Even the initial aalaapana is so smooth.
Arasi's compositions (coming from the heart) are simplicity itself and they do touch everybody's heart as you so eloquently put! Even a child can follow the lyrics. Anybody listening to your melody can easily sing along! Thanks for integrating the lyric.
It is now time for other performers to take note of her!
In time she is going to be the most popular vaggeyakara ( Guru kadaakSham)!
I only pray that I also be there when she receives the high honours!
Bless you!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Suji - delightful! Very well done.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Arasi-I'm glad you liked it.
Thanks VK, CML, Ravi

Here's the lyrics of the composition:
Ravi or Arasi please translate for benefit of others. (Actually for me too- some words are hard for me to understand though I got the overall meaning)

vEngaDavA

pallavi
vEngaDavA unnai vENDinEn--tiru

anupallavi

anDiyavarkkaruL tarum aNNalE ( unaik)
kaNDadum kaLiyuRum en manamE (tiru)

Charanam

malaiyAy nambinEn (unai) (tiru)
malai amardOnE, mANikkamE
mAtavatthUr tozhum mAdavanE tiru
magaLodum yAm magizha kATchi tandE

madhyamakAlam

kavalaigal OTTik kAtthiDuvAi
kamalakkaNNanE kanidiDuvAi
niRai manamenakkaruLvAi
maRaigal pugazhum innamudE tiru

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Suji Ram wrote:here's my humble attempt at one of Arasi's composition.
The madhyama kAlam sahitya flow of this song reminds me of the final run on the steps we all took to finish to the top.

Happy dIpAvaLi to all.
Suji
Did you run in that final steps which we call muyangAl mudichu, I never knew you were an athlete. BTW you hold a record of perhaps the first violinist-solo to play the song of arasi.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I thought the first lap(or set of steps) was called the muzhangAl mudichu.
Suji, I could not hear your violin due to some problem in my comp/network.Am trying.
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 17 Oct 2009, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Suji, I'm listening to the piece right now. Played with the full import of sAma. Very touching. Arasi - excellent melodic setup in the composition!

Thank you, Arasi and Suji, for a melodious start to my Deepavali.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Suji, I managed to hear it.Very nice. Hope to hear
more of your music. Best wishes.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi
I am stumped at
kamalakkaNNanE kanidiDuvAi
Is it kanindiDuvAi? Still I am miissing something without an explanation from you!
... also it must be 'mAtavatthOr ' and 'amarndOnE,

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

That is a sweet piece of music; congratulations to composer and performer :)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

This is what I have:

vEngaDavA unnai. rAgA: sAma. Adi tALA.

P: vEngaDavA unnai vENDinEn tiru
A: anDiyavarkk-aruL tarum aNNalE unaik-kaNDadum kaLiyurum en manamE tiru
C: malaiyAi nambinEn (unai) (tiru) malai amardOnE, mANikkamE
mAtavattOr tozhum mAdhavanE tiru maghaLoDum yAm magizha kATSi tandE
(madhyamakAlam)
kavalaigal OTTik-kAttiDuvAi kamalak-kaNNanE kanidiDuvAi
nirai manam enakkaruLvAi maraigal pugazhum innamudE tiru

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, Lakshman.

CML,
kanidal= manam negizhdal and as a result, inimaiyAi aruL seidal; so, be kind, take pity on me!
The word which is hidden between (!) kamalakkaNNanE and kanindiDuvAi is manam. kamalak kaNNanE manam kanindiDuvAi. Poor manam got booted out because there was no room for it in the line :)
Still, it should make sense.

Suji,
If Ravi, Rajani, Punarvasu or others don't translate, I will do that. They do a better job than I do with translation of songs.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thaks arasi. If I had seen it in Tamil script I would have gotten it right away! Nice idea! I still insist that your songs are so simple that a seven year old (knowng Tamil) will be able to undestand. I can't speak about the kannada or telugu songs :) It is now so easy to accompany Suji with the words and Sama sounds quite good!

I am hoping that you will include some non-bhakti (non-deity) oriented songs too in the collection you are working on! Let us also get folks of all 'colour' singing those songs! I am sure there will be some eulogizing 'thaayk kulam' ; a message appropriate for the modern times!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi - I was waiting for you to say that it was OK for one of us to do so.

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
Yes, there are several songs which can be sung by folks belonging to any religion (emmadattiRkkum sammadamAm). They are about Divinity in general. Vedanayakam Pillai's songs were sung at one of the schools I attended as prayer songs. Hindu students or christians, we all sang them. SuddhAnanda bArati's songs appealed to me too when I was growing up. Of course, I was and am in love with bArati. They all inspire me. podup pADalgaL, they will be called, as bArati did, bringing them under one heading. Rajesh has suggested that I group the songs under different headings so that those who are interested in looking for a song about their favorite god can find them quite easily.
You say January. I will be ready, but Neela Ramgopal is busy, and will be busier closer to the season. This means we can only work together in January. End of February looks more like it for the book to come out, if all goes well.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Please do! Hope you will translate some more:)
Last edited by arasi on 18 Oct 2009, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Arasi avare and Suji Ram,
I enjoyed that piece in sAma. Thank you!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Suji Ram wrote:Ravi or Arasi please translate for benefit of others. (Actually for me too- some words are hard for me to understand though I got the overall meaning)
This is a first for me - to give my interprettation/translation of the composer's intent when the composer is an active member of the forum! But, with Arasi's permission, here goes:
arasi wrote:Ravi, Please do!
Please feel free to correct me.

pallavi
vEngaDavA unnai vENDinEn tiru

Oh divine/holy (tiru) resident of the venkaTa hills (vEngaDavA), I have beseeched/requested (vENDinEn) you (unnai)

anupallavi
anDiyavarkk-aruL tarum aNNalE unaik-kaNDadum kaLiyurum en manamE tiru (vEngaDavA"¦)

(Oh divine/holy resident of the venkaTa hills), the lofty one (aNNalE) who grants/showers (tarum) grace (aruL) on those who seek refuge (aNDiyavarkku) in him, my (en) mind (manamE) is rejuvenated/refreshed with intoxicating joy (kaLiyurum) [1] as soon as I behold (kaNDadum) your divine (tiru) form.

caraNam
malaiyAi nambinEn (unai) (tiru) malai amarndOnE, mANikkamE
mAtavattOr tozhum mAdhavanE tiru maghaLoDum yAm magizha kATSi tandE
(madhyamakAlam)
kavalaigal OTTik-kAttiDuvAi kamalak-kaNNanE kanindiDuvAi
nirai manam enakkaruLvAi maraigaL pugazhum innamudE tiru (vEngaDavA...)

Oh precious one (mANikkamE) [2] who has chosen to recline (amarndOnE) on this holy (tiru) hill (malai), I've had unshakable/abundant (malaiyAi) faith/belief (nambinEn) in you (unnai). Oh husband/consort (dhavanE) of mahAlakshmi (mA), you drive away (OTTi) our concerns (kavalaigal), and protect us (kAttiDuvAi) even as we (yAm) delight (magizha) in the vision (kATshi) of yourself with (oDum) lakshmi (tirumagal) [3] that you grant (tandE). Oh beautiful lotus (kamala)-eyed (kaNNanE) one, Oh incomparable ambrosia (innamudE) who is praised (pugazhum) by the vEdas (maRaigaL), please be compassionate (kanindiDuvAi) and grant (aruLvAi) me (enakku) a mind/heart (manam) that is filled to the brim (nirai) with all that is good, (Oh divine/holy resident of the venkaTa hills).

FOOTNOTES
[1] kaLiyurum - see CML's post below
[2] mAnikkam is a ruby
[3] tirumagaL - the lady (magaL) who is the embodiment of auspiciousness and wealth (tiru)
arasi wrote:Ravi,
Hope you will translate some more:)
Will be a pleasure....

EDITED with CML's correction
Last edited by rshankar on 20 Oct 2009, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Perfect!
kaLi = happinesss/intoxication with joy (the word is derived from 'kaL' = toddy
uRum = getting/attaining

( I have corrected the lyrics as 'amar(n)dOnE')

What a beautiful elegant lyric!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Before saying thank you, I have to say 'I told you so!' because when it comes to songs--even the ones which I'm familiar with :) you are the best we have in translating--others are extremely good too.

CML,
Yes, amarndOnE=one who sits on tirumalai.

T he key line in the song though is--niRai manam enakkaruLvAi with which the song comes to an end: give me such a state of mind which makes me happy and content with whatever I have; let me count my blessings. That is, grant me pOdum enRa manamE.

Merci, mes amis!

Another trivial correction: unai and not unnai in the pallavi (it sounds more fluid, musically).
Last edited by arasi on 19 Oct 2009, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote:
T he key line in the song though is--niRai manam enakkaruLvAi with which the song comes to an end: give me such a state of mind which makes me happy and content with whatever I have; let me count my blessings. That is, grant me pOdum enRa manamE.
Arasi - Thanks for that - it is very different from my take - yours is for 'contentment', my take was for 'fill me up with good stuff'... :)

Reminds me of what NiaRMohan said - all this translation involves interpretation as well...

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks Ravi, That is a great translation of this creative piece! Learnt some new words.

And thanks to Rajesh, Bilahari, Punarvasu, Nick and Sreeni Rajarao for your comments.
Suji
Did you run in that final steps which we call muyangAl mudichu, I never knew you were an athlete. BTW you hold a record of perhaps the first violinist-solo to play the song of arasi.
Rajesh, hiking up the hills was easier. But then, we kids decided to return down also by foot (poor parents). And, I went sprinting down until I hit the last few steps... now, I remember how painful that was :)
Last edited by Suji Ram on 20 Oct 2009, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi
What is the background of this composition? Was it composed after a visit to Thiruppathi? The word "mAdhavanE tiru maghaLoDum yAm magizha kATSi tandE" betrays an inspiration (? in a dream)?
The raga sama seems to flow nicely with the lyric as well as the mood. Did the raga occur to you along with the lyric or was it decided upon subsequently in discussion with the singer. By the by how is neela going to notate the songs without an audio? Is she going to make available an audio along with the notated songs. By the by did you consider incorporating your 'mudra' on the songs to be published?

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

It will be nice if neela mami, or sumitra nitin sing the songs and release that along with the book.

Arasi - waiting eagerly for your reply to CML's question. Please include raga mudra also in future compositions.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi told which I documented(Feb 2007)
There is simplicity in most of her numbers. Even if there is slight complexity, Arasi has intelligently choosen the right rAgas and never reduced a bit of classical content. If Shri SSI popularized Smt Ambujam Krishna , I would urge you all to take up her krithis. There is aesthetics in her numbers and her lyrical content(in tamil for sure) was almost perfect . I did talk to her, she said she composed roughly 400 krithis (She started writing from her age 10). Arasi mentioned that she roughly tuned most of her songs and took the help of her relative vidushis Smt Ananthalakshmi SadagOpan and Smt Jayalakshmi santhanam.
In post #240: Arasi told in Sept 2009
Hopefully with Neela Ramgopal's help, we can bring out the first volume of about 50 songs in the near future and then work on the rest. In the CM world inundated with old and new songs, I would be happy if a hundred of mine get to see the print.
Besides Sumitra Nitin, Jayalakshmi Santhanam, Padma Srinivasan (well, family circle!) and our own Suryaprakash have sung my compositions.
I felt honored when Radha Viswanathan and Aishwarya sang 'gAnak kuyil onRu', the song about MS in Chennai at the release of the book MS & Radha.
Now I may add suji taking up vEngaDavA unnai vENDinEn tiru in shyamA

So let us be specific with Arasi on targets:
------------------------------------------
Step 1:
------

First let her document all lyrics just like how Lakshman Ragde has created the karnatik.com.She has promised 50 krithis as per her words , let us first complete it.

Step 2:
------
Then gnaanam (Smt neela)can document the notations for all 50 krithis.

Step 3:
-------
Then let it take the route of audio and other multimedia. Those things will take more time ,has infrastructure issues and also will procrastinate more of arasi's compositions hitting the masses.

As such I want arasi to first make a soft copy available for all her 400 songs in the next 2 to 3 years . You may never know that 400th song can turn out to be a mega hit like enna thavam seidhanai or govardhana giridhara or even nee nAma roopamulaku ;)

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
With some songs, I do remember the moment of inspiration. You know that I have a bunch of songs about Pittburgh's Srinivasa. I am not sure if this one belongs with them. It is from the early nineties. I have a couple about tirupati vEngaDavan. This one is not. Nor is it a dream inspired one :)
Most songs are Nature inspired, some arrive on visiting quiet temples, others on listening to inspiring music, others, in solitude. It is only when I sing them that I know which rAgam they are in. I have not labored on any of them (too lazy for that!). I quickly scribble them down, and later of course, I see that a song needs a word here or doesn't need the one which is there. On singing it a few times, another word may take the place of one, and I have sung them both ways in the course of years. I realized this when Sumitra wondered about the change in the word in a song. You are right in thinking that I sing them for my own sake--so, there was no need to stick to one version!
Sumitra listens to my singing, tapes the songs and listens again with my aunt Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan who 'finds' tALam' in them somehow! She has kept the music of the songs too the way I had got them initially. In the songs in the CD, a tALam was changed, a sangati or two were added. This was mayilERi oyilAi varuvAi in cArukESi and when Jayalakshmi Santhanam sings it, she sings it in the original Adi (the only tALam I feel at home with!).
About vEnaDavA: While they chose the songs with me out of about fifty, it was not there because the rAgamAlika ADip pADi has SAma in it already. I left India after that and they changed their minds and included it. They did all the work too, along with Sumitra's mother Sujatha, all the hard work in bringing out the CD.
Srinivasaraghavan makes a mention of the rAgm in two of the songs in his detailed (and an extremely favorable) review of the CD.

Hari,
I have no idea how much time Neela Ramgopal has to work on this. I would very much like at least some of the songs from the book recorded by Sumitra.

Thanks to you all who have liked the song. Suji delivers it with bhAvam, and that is what appeals to me most when I hear the songs sung or played by others.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
There you are! You have to understand (don't say you already do!) that but for a lot of urging and 'help from my friends', my songs (and my writing too) would not have been known. I don't want to sound sentimental, but the forum and my friends here play a major part in my beig recognized as a composer.
I am working hard on getting ready a hundred songs to take along with me to India. I have not given them to Lakshman yet because some of them may see a tALam change!
I appreciate you cheer leaders no end, and you all know that.
You can see from my post above that AS and JS do not change my musical version. It is tAlam that I cannot keep, but they say there is tALam in the songs, but I do not know it! When I read what you wrote in 2007, I did not want to contradict you and say my music was kept intact because it was no big deal. You had taken the trouble of buying the CD, listening to it and writing such a fantastic piece about it. What I must have said to you that night, apart from my being overwhelmed with the event, must have sounded that way to you. There was so much of cross talk too, if you remember, for us to have a one on one conversation.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi
Point well taken, possibly there was a blip here and there . Let me sum up

1. Looks like almost all or really all compositions are tuned by you. I am happy that no one changes your musical version and the addition is only in tAlam mostly. That is fine.

2. In your words "You are working hard on getting really a hundred songs to take along with me to India".

To me that is great news, that is hundred atleast. Please start typing all the songs(just lyrics and rAgam alone is a must , rest purely your discretion) in your machine before you come to your winter capitals (bangalore and chennai, you are arasi you have both summer and winter capital ;) ) I dont have to tell you that you will have lots of relatives and friends commitment when you come to india, those things will remain as it is .

I suggest if all the lyrics alone is ready before you come to winter capital, then you and gnanam can work on notating them and taking it forward which I know it is too time consuming and requires quite a lot of iterations (I have talked personally with pApanAsam shivan's daughter(smt rukmini ramani once in NGS), she told that is so hard and she and her sister neela rAmamurthi had to work a lot in publishing shivan's songs).

Action Item:
-------------
So I hope with this post , your first step would be to get ready with 100 songs in lyrics only and keep it saved in notepad before you travel to india which is atleast 45 days from now. You dont have to share that with any one else and you can just take those lyrics to gnaanam(smt neelA) directly and start working in the notating part little later.

Are you game with this action item, that is 100 songs with lyrics only and just the raga name in a plain text (that is just 3 to 4 songs per day , it should just take approximately time of 2 posts in rasikas.org each day.)

Hope you donot feel that I am pushing you to give any discomfort feeling in you. You just have to focus 20 minutes a day for your songs that's it. This is something only you can do it. BTW I am just typing all this in the forum instead of private email , so that there is enough momentum from all of us to coerce you. Till then atleast for me it is more of "indru varuvAnO nALaliyO"

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
You sound like it is a ransom note :) This Arasi (actually maid, cook, gardener among other things) needed and needs ultimatums from caring folks. I was wondering if I should ask you to communicate all your concern by private mail (you and CML), but you have your own reasons.
So long as you don't drag me out of a concert hall and say, 'enough of listening, now get to work', all I can say is, "where have you all been hiding all these years?'
The answer I suppose is: there is a time for everything...
Last edited by arasi on 20 Oct 2009, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I certainly would (actually should) communicate (which I do) with arasi through private mail. One of the reasons I am writing at the Forum is to get feedback from the Forum Family which will also serve as an incentive for her. Like the fabled Hanuman she has to recognize her potentials from encouraging appreciative words from you! I certainly do not want any of us to steal (hers or mine) quality time with our family since life is too short. But the precious gems of thought and creations are for the posterity which must be preserved. If we can help then we should. Thanks to Rajesh/srinivasrgvn for the initiative. But then arasi must feel comfortable snd should not feel 'pushed'. She is also a "maid, cook, gardener", Forum critic, good friend, counsellor, affectionate spouse and above all a loving grandmother! Be it two months or two years, let her take her own sweet time to share her creations with us. My only suggestion is for her to record her songs in her own voice (time permitting) (need not share them if she feels defensive) so that the music is not lost for ever. She should also jot down (as far as she can remember) the circumstnces that prompted those compositions. Can we ever forget the circumstance when Thyagaraja composed nidhicAla or giripai... . For example the vengaDaVA touches our soul and I would always remember Suji's graphic description of her climb through the hills which enhances my appreciation of the lyrics. I am sure there is an element of inspiration in arasi's composition though she herself does not recall now. For many of us (particularly to me) CM is part of our pleasant emotional baggage!

So arasi! Don't feel pushed! Only now you have started calling yourself a 'composer' (vaggeyakara). That shows the inferiority complex is getting under control (my professional opinion :)

Yes! Of course 'there is a time for everything...'

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh, CML (you already know this) and Lakshman,
Here is the work in progress report: I am in India now, and so are a hundred songs. Neela and I are meeting the day after tomorrow and are going to pick 34 songs from them (we already have 14 from the CD, vaLLi nAyakanE and gAnakkuyil onRu).
Will keep you posted :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Great News!
Thanks to Neela/Nitin for assisting you!
shatamaanam bhavatu
We eagerly await the completion of this phase with the blessings of almighty!
Will there be a CD release to mark the book release?
Keep us posted!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi and Gnaanam(smt neela)
Wow that is so nice , so 34 songs will be cherry picked by Smt neela and will be notated . Just curious from there , how does it reach the masses , are you planning to publish a small book or is there any other means for publishing it . I am suggesting your 14 that came out of arasi-sumitra with vallinAyakane and gAnakuyiL and your new 34 will take it to your volume 1 of 50 songs by arasi.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 05 Dec 2009, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Rajesh
arasi's first fifty en route to the century will be worth celebrating. Have a table ready during the season to host our rasika members who may be attending for the gala party! Who knows arasi may regale you with her own soulful singing of some of her compositions. By the by she is a good singer herself (with a natural gamakam, the patina of age) which you willl appreciate. Have I let the cat out of the box (to shake off the last inhibition still lurking in Her Royal Highness :)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

cml, added to the margazhi kuLir! Ofcourse nothing compared to what you people have back home.- :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Of course it will be kaDuM kODai (mid summer) for arasi as the devas start sprinkling flowers at us from heaven :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

I would any day wish you folks snow flakes rather than sleet and ice and below-zero temperatures.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Good. We expect more progress reports from you, arasi!

cienu

Post by cienu »

cmlover wrote:. By the by she is a good singer herself (with a natural gamakam, the patina of age) which you willl appreciate. Have I let the cat out of the box (to shake off the last inhibition still lurking in Her Royal Highness :)
I do agree with you CML.

Arasi did sing a soulful Yadukula kambodhi ( incidentally her favourite Raga too) when we visited her home in Bangalore last year. :)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

cienu wrote:
cmlover wrote:. By the by she is a good singer herself (with a natural gamakam, the patina of age) which you willl appreciate. Have I let the cat out of the box (to shake off the last inhibition still lurking in Her Royal Highness :)
I do agree with you CML.

Arasi did sing a soulful Yadukula kambodhi ( incidentally her favourite Raga too) when we visited her home in Bangalore last year. :)
hmm... she sang one (pallavi) for me over the phone...the raga and lyrics I'll keep it a suspense.. as it is a new one!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

... not to mention her venture into Patdeep :)
(Nandakumar! are you watching?)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

cmlover wrote:... not to mention her venture into Patdeep :)
(Nandakumar! are you watching?)
Oh CML, you let the cat out of the bag. Arasi sang a few line to me!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

..meow :)