Lalitha dasar

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
satyabalu

Lalithadasar

Post by satyabalu »

* Has this forum ever discussed on this composer?
* I understand "Pavanaguru in Hamsanandi "on Guruvayur is his composition

venkatakailasam

Re: Lalithadasar

Post by venkatakailasam »

Lalita Dasar Kritis (1945)
Chembai had an old friend called T.G.Krishna Iyer in Tripunithura, who had settled in Madras (now Chennai) and offered a house to Chembai on Palace Road near Santhome, in a locality called 'Lalita Nagar' he had himself developed. He had composed some 155 kritis in Telugu, Tamil andSanskrit under the mudra 'Lalita dasar' and requested Chembai to set them to music and popularise them. Chembai accepted the invitation and set the kritis to classical music, and got them published under the name Lalita Dasar Keertanaigal. He made it a practice to sing these kritis in most of his concerts. He also released a record containing selected kritis from Lalita Dasar's kritis like Evariki Telusunamma (Dhanyasi), Ennil Kaninda (Shankarabharanam), Pavana Guru (Hamsanandi), Varijadala Lochani (Arabhi), among others.( courtesy : Wikipedia)

Some of his songs are:

E'-SWARA-002-Dr.KJ Jesudas-bhavana guru-hamsanandhi-Lalitha dasar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLujVPoPAE
Sudha Balakrishnan - Kolapura Nilaye - Purvikalyani ( By thanjavooran)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zJBdlwKZ8
NAADANERAJANAM\2.PAAVANAGURU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbMRgVTzDu0

venkatakailasam

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

* Thank you Venkatakailasam for the useful information &links.
*May I suggest this message is cut &pasted in the thread "Vidwans &Vidushis-Chembai" recording the greatness& gesture of Chembai?.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Chembai has also sung an interesting kRti in gambhIra nATa, that goes 'rakSa mAM sharaNAgataM' which is a description of the group photo scene at vaikuNTa, with all the various deities listed in the song. It is addressed to guruvAyurappan.

sagars

Post by sagars »

There is one kriti in subhaPanthuvarali- Kailasapathe Pari Palayamam sung by Chembai.

There was an upload of this kriti in Rasikas some months back.

venkatakailasam

Both the songs :

'rakSa mAM sharaNAgataM' and
Kailasapathe Pari Palayamam
are available in my blog
'e'-swara at http://myblogkumara.blogspot.com/
for listening under Chembai Vaithyanatha Bahavather uploads.
(There is a Blog Archive on the left side bar. Click on the triangle icon facing the right side. Names of artists will open up. choose your artist.)

Here is my mixing:

SWARA 001 - chembai vaityanatha bahavathar-Rakshamam Saranagatham gambira natta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqlDWg74LHA

Incidentally, this song is attributed to meenakshisuta as its composer.

Can anyone brings out the correct position???

venkatakailasam

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

It is my mistake.. MInAkSisuta was another 20th century composer, whose songs chembai has sung.. I must have mixed up the two.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I remember another song in desh-'nanda nandana' by Lalitha Dasar.
IIRC, his son is a flute vidwan.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Here is some more information on Shri T.G. Krishna Iyer (Lalitha Dasar):-

Chembai secured a similar opportunity of significance again in 1915. A leading citizen of Ernakulam, named T.A.Duraiswami lyer was conducting an annual Tyagaraja festival which attracted important performers of the day and a throng of listeners. It was considered a privilege to sing at the festival. Chembai went to Ernakulam and requested Duraiswami lyer a chance for him also to sing. Duraiswami lyer agreed. As customary at such festivals, Chembai sang for the limited time allotted to him and was about to get up, when there was a chorus of requests for one more number and he had to oblige! Here he had forged a friendship with T.G.Krishna Iyer (nephew of Duraiswami Iyer) whose compositions he was to set to classical music, and popularize later. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concerts_of_Chembai)

Pratyaksham Bala

‘Lalitha Dasar’ T.G. Krishna Iyer’s sons:-
Kalaimamani T.K. Radhakrishnan, Flutist
T.K. Ramachandran, Violinist

Pratyaksham Bala

In an interview (given in 1994), TNK reminisces:-

"Not only that. My father, himself a talented violinist, used to accompany great vidwan-s of those days and many of them would visit our house. In fact my father’s guru, T. G. Krishna Iyer taught me Koniyadina (Kambhoji), Endu Dakinado (Thodi) and Sri Subramanyaya Namaste (Kambhoji) when I was about nine years old.’

‘When did you give your first performance?’

‘I was about nine when I accompanied my father’s guru at performance at the Santanagopala temple at Tiruppanithurai."

Ref: http://www.carnaticcorner.com/articles/ ... rview.html

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

The composer ' Minakshi Sutha " was discussed earlier. Pl try this url http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 78#p174178

Pratyaksham Bala

vs_manjunath:
Thanks.

Gladfan

Post by Gladfan »

Some other krithis that I think can be attributed to Lalitha Dasar are the following:

gajAnanA pAhi sadA (jaganmOhini - rUpaka) - Sanskrit
ganapatiyE nIyE (hamsadwani - Adi) - Tamil
mahA ganapatim (kEdaram - Adi) - Sanskrit

RKrishnamurthy

Lalitha dasar

Post by RKrishnamurthy »

Can some one provide information about this composer? Was he from Kerala or Tamil Nadu or North India? He has composed some terrific songs.

(Moderator note: This post is merged with an already existing thread on this vaggeyakara )

venkatakailasam

Re: Lalitha dasar

Information on LD is at Post number #2..
and also the postings by Pratyaksham Bala..

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

Post by Gowri RadhaKrishnan »

Pranams to elders and wishes to others.
I wish to introduce myself as GOWRI grand daughter of Lalithadasar and daughter of Flute Radha Krishnan.
For details about Lalithadasar you may log on to the face book.
A composition called SRI KRISHNA LEELAMRUTHAM a Sloka on Lord Krishna is also being posted.

Compositions of SRI LALITHADASAR will also find it's place

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome, Gowri!
Can you share with us your grandfather's interactions with vidvAn Chembai Sri Vaidyanatha Bhagavatar?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Request family to scan and share the lyrics in original Devanagari (Sanskrit script) to avoid transcription errors.
Sanskrit is a very unforgiving language!

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

There is a way to share a Facebook post link here. Rightclick the time stamp on any FB post and copy the hyperlink. Rightclick inside this thread new post and choose Paste.

Like this:

https://www.facebook.com/lalithadasar.l ... 9800549630

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

Dear Rasikas,
My grand father was basically a civil engineer and served theGovernment and was conferred the RAOSAHIB title.It was after his retirement that he started visiting temples all over India .
As and when he visited , he sang spontaneously on that particular diety.For example ,the song in kundalavarali NEE VILAIYADINA BRINDAVANATHAI
KANNAAL KANDEIN KANNAIYA was composed when he visited Brindavan.
Like wise when he sang at home, Sri CHEMBAI ,my father T K RADHAKRISHNAN flutist ,and T.K RAMACHANDRAN violinist ,my father'younger brither sons of Lalithadasar used to write down as and when he sang .later the song used to be fine tuned.
Sri Lalithadasar never sat down to compose. It was sung by him in fact the Divine Grace of Ambal was bestowed on him
He had composed around 118 iritis out of which 108 have been published in his book.
Is sloka SRIKRISHNA LEELAMRITHAM comprises of 64verses a condensed version of BHAGAVATHAM
WILL SURELY POST HIS EXPERIENCES WITH CHEMBAI SHORTLY.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Smt. Gowri,
Thank you for all your kind efforts.

The following verse as in FB and what I think it ought to be (as sung by Sri lalitadAsa) are given below. Kindly proof it with the original if available in Sanskrit.

As in FB page linked above:
Devadhara Abhaya Dhayaka Krishna
Krishnavadhara Sangalpitha Krishna
Devaki Harbhajan pravesika Krishna
Jaya Jaya Sri Radha Lola Sri Krishna

What I think it is(I am using transliteration rules):

devadhara abhayadAyaka kRSNa
kRSNAvatAra saGkalpita kRSNa
devakIgarbhapravEzita kRSNa
jaya jaya zrI rAdhAlola kRSNa

The transliteration is based on the Harvard-Kyoto (HK) convention as follows:
a A i I u U R RR lR lRR e ai o au M H
k kh g gh G c ch j jh J
T Th D Dh N t th d dh n
p ph b bh m y r l v z S s h

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

Thank you sir for the corrections.
The original version was in Malayalam.i heard my mother recite this and got it written in Sanskrit by a pandit.
The meaning was also given by the Sanskrit pandit.
I will try to locate the original Malayalam version and scan it.
The book was published by GURUVAYUR DEVASTHANAM and the royalty to Lord Guruvayurappan.
Those days it was FOUR PAISE.

My grand mother ANNAPOORANI AMMAL wife of Sri Lalitha dasar also hails from a family of musicians . Her brother T .A . KRISHNA BHAGAVATHAR popularly known as KITTAM BHAGAVATHAR a violinist was my father's first Guru.He was the guru for SRI.T.N.KRISHNAN
Violinist also.

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

I would like to share an important incident which my father used to share with pride.
Annapooranipaati's (wife of lalithadasar )maternal uncle was Mr.Doraisami Iyer a popular Vakilin Cochin. He conducts bhajans regularly which was also famous those days.
Incidentally ,Swami Vivekananda attended his bhajan
We have a family song which goes thus ,
Hare Ramakrishna
Govinda Ramakrishna
Gopala Ramakrishna
As the song was being sung and the tempo increased gradually,
Swami
Vivekananda danced in ecstasy as the song ends with the name of his Guru RAMAKRISHNA
A photograph was taken ,it was donated to RASIKA RANJANI SABHA Chennai

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

If rasikas are interested,I am willing to share more incidents.

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

Mr.shankar ,
Here is an information on how Chembai became friends with Lalithadasar my grandfather.
In 1945 ,on the 14th of September ,Chembai heard the song PAAVANAGURU in hamsanandi raagam sung by my father (T .K .RADHAKRISHNAN FLUTIST ) . Chembai was impressed and asked for a gist of the other compositions of Lalithadasar ,and suggested that the songs could reach the public if they are printed as a book.
Thus the book was printed in 1945 as LALITHADASAR KEERTHANAIGAL the script is in Telugu and Tamil with notations set by my father T K R .

I WILL SEND A SCANNED COPY OF ALL HIS KRITIS SHORTLY

cacm

Post by cacm »

THANKS FOR THE VALUABLE INFORMATION. VKV

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Gowri - are you sharing this valuable info in our forum or sending to individuals on request. I am interested to have a copy. You are blessed to be grand daughter of Lalithadasar.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you! It is fascinating to hear the history behind such connections! Thank you for your generosity in sharing the compositions!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

An ārabhī kṛti of T.G.Krishna Iyer a.k.a. Lalitādāsar (in sanskrit)

Pallavi:
vārijadala locanī māmava śrī cakrarāja vāsinī

Anupallavi:
vārijāsana murāri hārādibhir ārādhita sarasīruha padayuge

Caraṇam:
kāmeśvara manoharī śaṁkarī kāmitārtha dāyakī
kāmajanaka sahodarī sundarī kāmākṣī lalitāmbike gaurī

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lnqrL7i0M

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Gowri RadhaKrishnan wrote:Mr.shankar ,
Here is an information on how Chembai became friends with Lalithadasar my grandfather.
In 1945 ,on the 14th of September ,Chembai heard the song PAAVANAGURU in hamsanandi raagam sung by my father (T .K .RADHAKRISHNAN FLUTIST ) . Chembai was impressed and asked for a gist of the other compositions of Lalithadasar ,and suggested that the songs could reach the public if they are printed as a book.
Thus the book was printed in 1945 as LALITHADASAR KEERTHANAIGAL the script is in Telugu and Tamil with notations set by my father T K R .

I WILL SEND A SCANNED COPY OF ALL HIS KRITIS SHORTLY
Gowri

The tunes of all songs composed by Lalithadasar( T.G.Krishna Iyer) was perhaps tuned only by Lalithadasar himself . Assuming TK Ramachandran / T K radhakrishnan did not play a part in tuning

My question #1 to you is as follows
DId Chembai tune any songs of Lalithadasar or did he just publish only the list of krithis ? I am assuming like paavanaguru (hamsanandi), another popular krithi rakshamam (gambeera nAttai) was already tuned by Lalithadasar and chembai sang in the concert?
Last edited by rajeshnat on 15 Mar 2016, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Initial T stands for Trichur or Trivandrum?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

VK RAMAN wrote:Initial T stands for Trichur or Trivandrum?
Tiruppūṇittuṟā I think.

A photo of Chowdiah accompanying flautist T.K.Radhakrishnan (his brother T.K.Ramachandran is also seen):
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 037956.ece

The kṛti Rakṣamām Śaraṇāgatam bears the mudrā 'Mīnākṣīsuta' and is evidently a composition of Bangalore Śrī Nagaraj (Mīnākṣīsutar).

T.G.Krishna Iyer (Lalitādāsar) was of the same generation as Chembai, but Bangalore Nagaraj was one or two generations younger cf. http://www.karnatik.com/co1129.shtml

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Thanks srkris

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

Dear Rasika,
T stands for Thripunathura Kerela.
As regards to your question on composing ,Sri.Lalithadasr basically a civil engineer ,visited a lot of temples after his retirement. Whenever he visited ,his sonsT K RADHAKRISHNAN AND T K RAMACHANDRAN used to accompany him. Lalitha dasar used to sing in praise of the deity with his eyes closed .for Eg. The song KOLAPURANILAYE in poorvikalyani was sung at the mookambigai temple. Akhilandeswari jay jaya Shankara in Kannada (on can listen to this song on you tube played on flute by my father ).when he visited AKILANDESWARI TEMPLE Trichy.The song PAZHANIYIL MAGIZHDU Ragamalika in Palani and so on .invariably an indirect mention of the place in which the song was composed would find a place in his compositions.
Lalithadasar never sat down to compose.As and when the songs were sung ,his sons Who accompanied him noted down the songs of course ,in the original raga in which lalithadasar sang . These songs were fine tuned and set to notations by his son T K Radhakrishnan.
Sri Chembai heard my father T K Radhakrishnan sing the song Pavanaguru at the Guruvayur temple and strengthened his friendship with Lalithadasarand suggested his other compositions to be published as a book to reach the public.
Rakshamam charanagatham is NOT composed by Lalithadasar.

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

Here is an incident on his song GAJANANA PAHISADA
The song was composed on a vinayakachathurthiday.
My second brother who was around 7 years sitting on the lap of my grandfather ,asked him what the other name for kozhukattai was and he replied in the form of a song
ModakarA dayA karA Vidhya dhaayaka Shankara
Agnaana Thimira Bhaskara Sri lalitha Priyadanaya

The charanam of the song
Then he sang Gajaanana PAHISADA the Pallavi in jaganmohini raagam

He never sat down to write songs .The grace of THE ALMIGHTY.was showered on him.

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

I shall scan the songs of Sri lalithadasar in the original form which is transcribed in Telugu also

Gowri RadhaKrishnan

T.G.Krishna Iyer used to conduct bhajans those days which was attended by the legends of those days including M.S.amma and AVINASHALONGAM Chettiyar of Coimbatore.
The title LALITHADASAR was conferred on T.G.Krishna Iyer by KALKI KRISHNAMURTHY JI.

randomhari

Post by randomhari »

Chembai's "Ennil kanintha" (Shankarabharanam: Lalithadasar) is one of the most beautiful Carnatic pieces recorded.
His Kalyani rendition of Un Perumai (Lalithadasar) is also beautiful.

JAYASHANKAR MENON

Post by JAYASHANKAR MENON »

Can anyone send kriti " VIHARAMUDA mama hridaye satatam" by lalitadasarji.I need lyrics and and song rendered by any vocalist.regards.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

virahamudA. rAgA: mOhana. Adi tALA. Lalitadasar.

P: virahamudA mama hrdayE satatam tuhInagiri sutE pAhi varadE
A: mahanIya guNE mahiSadamanE mOha timira hara mOhana nayanE
C: niravadhi karuNE bhavabhaya haraNE nIraja bhava hari haranuta caraNE
sharaNAgata saubhAgya vitaraNE sharaNam lalitE bhaktAbharaNE

prabhu53

Post by prabhu53 »

Pl visit https://prabhusponder.com/2020/08/18/th ... on-prayer/ for Tamil Translation and meaning of each Sanskrit Word Of Lalitha Dasar composition Pavana Guru