D. Pattammal

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

The Raga Identification Guide book that I have attributes several compositions, mostly in Melakartas including rare ones like Gayakapriya, Jhankaaradhvani and Haatakaambari, to a certain Pattammal. Is this actually D.K.Pattammal who is being referred to? Or some other obscure composer whose works are yet to see the light of day?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

It is D.Pattammal, a different person. many volumes of her compositions have been published. SHe has also composed in all the 72 sampUrNa mELas.

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Oh! Would it possible to provide renditions of any of her compositions here, if they are available? I'd be grateful.
Last edited by Jigyaasa on 01 Feb 2007, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Thanx for the info Sir...

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

SriTRS used to sing a lot of her contemporary compositions Bye

shubhashree.venkatesh

Post by shubhashree.venkatesh »

I'm the grand daughter of Smt. D. Pattammal. I'm in the process of collecting renditions and all her compositions. Please let me know if you're looking for something specific. Thanks,

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Shubhashree,

For starters, can you provide details about your grandmother, her life, and her music?

Thanks.

Ravi

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Shubhashree: Thank you for taking the time to mingle among the rasikas. How many songs do you think she would have sung and how are they distributed among various composers like Tyagaraja, Purandaradasa, and the like? Which composer was her favorite and what song or songs are her favorites. How did she react to criticism? We have great respect and regard for your grandmother.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Shubhashree,
Pleas give us your impressions about your grandmother. Did she teach you any of her songs?
Lakshman and the rasikA community are eager to hear from you about all her songs and the way she lived with them.

shubhashree.venkatesh

Here is a small Bio

Smt. D.Pattammal had her training in music under
eminent teachers and has received a number of awards
and prizes during her career.

She had been singing in All India Radio for 30 years
before she took up composing songs in Tamil and she is
one of the few Vagheyakaras to have composed songs in
all the 72 Melakartha ragas.

She has composed the lyrics for Thiruvilayadal
Puranam, Kumarasambhavam and the life history of 63
Nayanmars.

She has translated Sri Jayadeva's Geetha Govindham
into Tamil and developed it as a dance drama -
Madhava Geetham.

She has also composed songs exclusively for little
children under the title
ISAI/ KARNATAKA THUVAKKA PADALGAL.

She along with her husband Late Dr. M.N.Dhandapani has
compiled an index on Carnatic ragas under the title
Ragapravaham.

She has brought out 12 of her creations as
publications with the support of the Sangeetha Nataka
Academy and the Iyal Isai Nataka Mandram.

In all she has composed 658 songs in Tamil, which
includes a song in Panchanadai, Songs in Drimadhyamam,and songs in rare ragas like Rukmambari, Sukapavani .

The Government of Tamilnadu recognized her
contribution to Carnatic music and awarded her the
title " KALAIMAMANI" in the year 1994.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

shubhashree: Are recordings of D paTTammAL's songs available in the market?

shubhashree.venkatesh

An excerpt from my aunt's recollection -
"Criticism - She was very open to constructive criticism. S Kalyanaraman was a great critic and I have mayself sat with patti when they used to discuss and debate.

Also TRS is a great critic - he used to come up with so many criticisms - for which I have been a party too.

Paati has a huge repertoire. She knew more tamil kritis than that of the Trinity.

When I came in as a new bride, paati and I had lots of things to share - it was music.

So she showed me all her note books, so that I would know what are all the songs she knew. When I went through them, I made a remark that her master had fooled her and taught her only Tamil songs. Paati was very offended. I was so young; it never occured to me that I hurt her. But after one day's thought, paati asked me why I made that statement. I told her she should know more Trinity kritis. Tamil kritis have no standard and it does not deepen your insight into music at all.

Paati had this in her mind till the time she got to meet her music master in person. She put forth this question to him. Her Vaadhyar told her that L R Ramarathnam Iyer , her father, was a tamil teacher and loved Tamil. So he had instructed her vaadhyaar to teach his daughter lots of Tamil kritis. Paati was convinced and she was quick to pass on this information to me. It was only then that I understood that I had hurt paati and I ofcourse conveyed my apologies to her."

shubhashree.venkatesh

As far as I know, there are no recordings in the market. Sri T V Gopalakrishnan, Sri TRS and Subshri Mani have rendered her compositions in various concerts. There are also concerts arranged in memory of her every year - so far these have been concerts by Sri T M Krishna, Mrs. Nithyashree, Ms. Ranjani and Gayatri. There is also a cassette released (not for sale) on her compositions - sung by - Sri Rajkumar Bharati, Bhooshany Kalyanaraman, S. Rajeshwari and Subshri Mani. There are also a few renditions by young kids on compositions meant for young kids to easily pick up songs with simple tunes.

SrinathK

Re: D. Pattammal

Post by SrinathK »

Smt. D Pattammal's Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/DPattammal/videos