Chitraveena N Ravikiran

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
Sivaramakrishnan

Chitraveena N Ravikiran

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Among contemporary Vidwans, Chitraveena N Ravikiran is a Vaaggeyakaara of merit and has composed several kriti-s including Tillana-s.

A very crisp and nice one Saravanabhava in Bilahari, for example.

His Raga-taala maalika Tillana is an excellent one, attesting the work of a genius.

ksrimech

Re: Chitraveena N Ravikiran

Post by ksrimech »

I have posted a Ravikiran concert info picture in the Music and Festival Section. Please take a look. I urge all Colorado based rasikas to come to the concert.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Chitravina Ravikiran's, some of which are available, including the latest ones, the rItigowLa varnam with Srinivas and Savitha Narasimhan's recording and more can be posted here too, as Pattamma suggests...This way, more people can hear his compositions. Thanks.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I heard the Ashtalakshmi kriti. It has been sung brilliantly by Savita. Congratulations.

I had a slight discomfort the way the chitte swara in Sri raga ends on Ma and quietly slides into the main sahitya instead of the clearcut rhythmical, accepted, way chitte swaras end and lead to sahitya (classic example Bhavayami).

The choice of ragas and words shows RK's mastery of well known kritis and his feel for ragas.

I feel this composition is almost a post-Main item. The plentifulness of sahitya and ragas means it cannot be either a main item or a filler.

Now I have a suggestion. I suggest Carnatica arranges a 2 day event with multiple artistes performing ONLY RAVIKIRAN compositions. He should not share the stage. Senior and junior performers, a mix of vocal and instrumental, and three sessions of 90 min per day x 2 would help us to listen to around 50 compositions including some big items. That would seriously establish his compositions.
The event should be webcast and later archived in YouTube. I hope @Artery or @Parivadini will take the lead in this along with Carnatica.

Thank you.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I haven't heard his compositions so often. I remember about 12 years ago (I think), a concert at RR sabha in Mylapore, where he spoke of a krithi of his and humbly stated that he really doesn't play his own compositions so much (even at home), but the inspiration kept coming. Having said that, he then went on to play a brief but remarkable rendition (It has gone beyond memory as to the details of the song).

I didn't read through his website properly and had assumed till now that his compositions numbered around 250+, but only after the SK 2015 thread I came to know that the (current) total is actually around 700 ! If all goes well, this is going to be a massive thread alright.... :D

vsuresh

Post by vsuresh »

Here is a partial list of Shri. Ravikiran's Carnatic compositions:
http://ravikiranmusic.com/Carnatic_Compositions.htm

Please note that this does not include his creations for operatic or other dance productions or his compositions and arrangements for symphonies, chamber/string orchestras or jazz/world music ensembles. The list may not include many of his recent works. He is known to scribble his compositions in the back covers of the novels he is reading, and composes during moments of inspiration in the most unlikely of places. I still remember receiving a recording of his Katyayani tillana (in praise of Lord Ranganatha) via whatsapp during one of his walks!! Katyayani is a three note raga discovered by him.

Here is a great lec-dem on swaraksharams by a highly respected Guru in San Diego.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpaPMPiU ... e=youtu.be
At 6:05, he features a beautiful composition of Shri. Chitravina N Ravikiran in Hindolam (full of swaraksharams) sung by the Maestro himself.

asangeetha

Post by asangeetha »

Here is a beautiful Natyamalika Tillana composed by Shri Ravikiran, for his opera, Mahabharata in the Cleveland Festival,2014 with Pandit Birju Maharaj and others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOEvMo- ... e=youtu.be

vsuresh

Post by vsuresh »

Here is a composition of Shri Ravikiran on Lord Parthasarathy, rendered by Anahita & Apoorva Ravindran :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62elE86jsi4&t=3s

arasi

Post by arasi »

I heard them sing this during Ravikiran's lec-dem that day. They impress me with their singing, always.

It was something to see the composer on stage with them as they sang this composition of his this season.

vsuresh

Post by vsuresh »

Rsachi wrote:
Now I have a suggestion. I suggest Carnatica arranges a 2 day event with multiple artistes performing ONLY RAVIKIRAN compositions. He should not share the stage. Senior and junior performers, a mix of vocal and instrumental, and three sessions of 90 min per day x 2 would help us to listen to around 50 compositions including some big items. That would seriously establish his compositions.
The event should be webcast and later archived in YouTube. I hope @Artery or @Parivadini will take the lead in this along with Carnatica.

Thank you.
Carnatica arranged a 2 day event of Shri. Ravikiran's 35 Tala compositions. Here is a link to a brilliant composition of his in Kadanakutoohalam, set to Sankeerna Jhampa Tala, sung by Smt. Nisha Rajagopal :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-R5SrgqC5o

You can see the other compositions as well on YouTube!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

A dance performance of Ravikiran sir's varnam in suruTTi : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vsKNMo8dHs
Dance: Renjith Babu & Vijna Vasudevan

Vocal: Anahita & Apoorva Ravindran
Nattuvangam: Girish Madhu
Mrdangam: Karthikeyan Ramanathan
Flute: Sujith Nayak
Violin: Sanjay Suresh

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Can you please provide a free translation of the lyric? It will make it more enjoyable for me.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sachi_R wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 21:26Can you please provide a free translation of the lyric? It will make it more enjoyable for me.
Here you go - I am not sure about the underlined words, and the ---- indicate words I am not able to make out. Hopefully, Lakshman-ji or Sri Ravi Kiran himself will correct any mistakes:

pallavi
punnagai azhagil magizhndu vizhundEn panniru kai vElA tamizhOdA
- I am bewitched by the beauty of (your) smile Oh 12-armed spear-wielder, champion of tamizh
anupallavi
annam uRakkamum tuRandEnE nAn ennai yETRu abhayam taruvAyE
- I have renounced food and sleep, will you please accept me and bless me?
muktAyisvara sAhityam
minnal oli vel kaN azhaguLLa puNNiya rUpanE unnai nADinEn
- with flashing eyes that put a streak of lightning to shame, one with a handsome and divine form, I have sought you
paNiSaittu uRi veNNaiyai tiruDiya pannagaSayanan kaNNan maruganE - Nephew of kRshNa, who made music, stole butter, and reclines on a snake
caraNa sAhityam
nin nigar evarayyA shaNmugA
- Oh shaNmugA (the six-faced one) who is your equal?
caraNasvara sAhityam 1
parAmugam tagAdaiyyA ulagil (nin nigar…)
- neglecting (me)/turning your face away is not appropriate/tolerable (oh Lord without equal)
caraNasvara sAhityam 2
Sankaranum SUliniyum magizh SIlanE dayALanE enai ALa (nin nigar…)
- A principled individual that Siva and pArvati delight in, Oh compassionate one, (is there anyone else who is your equal to) admit me to (your) grace/rule over me?
caraNasvara sAhityam 3
navarasamum layamigu naTanam puriyum paramaSivanin guruvena tudi seyyum malarum akhila amararum pala ariya munivar anaivarum aDi paNiyum amudanE (nin nigar…)
– Oh Lord who is sweet as nectar, you are praised as the preceptor of Lord Siva whose dance is filled with the nine rasas and is replete with intricacies of rhythm by the Gods and several unique sages who offer worship at your feet, (is there anyone else who is your equal)?
caraNasvara sAhityam 4
tAraka simhamukha sUrapadmAsura kula kAlanE SIlanE kumAranE karuNAkaranE unnai pirinda ovvoru kaNamum en manandu ----- pOl erigiradu ---- manamirangi mAmayil mIdu ---- Eri --- yenakku aruL seyya (nin nigar…)
– The destroyer of the dynasty of the demons tArakAsura, simhamukAsura, and sUrapadma, the principled one, the ever-youthful one, the compassionate one, each and every second I am away from you makes my mind/heart burn like ----. (Is there anyone who is your equal) to come astride a mighty peacock, and bless me with a heart filled with mercy?
mannavarum ravi SaSiyum pugazhum (punnagai azhagil magizhndu…) – (I am bewitched by the beauty of your smile) that is praised by kings, the Sun (ravi) and the moon (SaSiyum)….

raviSaSi is Sri Ravi Kiran’s mudra.

This padavarNam is unique in that it loops back to the pallavi. Typically, the last caraNasvara sAhityam loops back with the caraNa sAhityam.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Ravi,
Wonderful. Makes viewing the dance so much more enjoyable. Thank you for your painstaking effort. Indeed.

ifcm_rfi

Post by ifcm_rfi »

This link has the lyrics of several of Shri Ravikiran's compositions including this varnam (song no 47).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pjC ... sp=sharing

prasadvrg

Post by prasadvrg »

Namaste,
Is anyone familiar with Sri Chitra Vina Ravikirans Tillana in Vijayavanti ragam?
This has been rendered by Anahita and Apoorva in Narada gana sabha minin hall on 20th Dec 2019.
talam and the notation will be helpful,
Thanks, Prasad

Asha Adiga

Post by Asha Adiga »

ifcm_rfi wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 14:44 This link has the lyrics of several of Shri Ravikiran's compositions including this varnam (song no 47).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pjC ... sp=sharing

Can you please pass the this lyrics document again. It is not accessible now.

Thanks you.