Jayachamaraja Odeyar (Mysore Maharajah) - Part II

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

rshankar wrote:cAmalikE cAmuMDike somakulajatEjA
jaya cAmarArAjEndra sunAma namudadE ||3||
Thanks Ravi
small correction- cAmAlike
cAmarAjEndra sunAmanamudaDE
Last edited by Suji Ram on 26 Jan 2007, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Raja Chandra wrote:http://www.rogepost.com/n/2515271602

I hope the above introduction though in kannada is easy to follow for others also. If any one desires some of us will chip in with translation.
RC,
The introduction is as lyrical as any of the Maharaja's compositions! Beautiful!

BTW, are the waDiyArs/oDeyArs from the chandrakula? I assumed they were from the sUryakula...but here, the maharAja is refered to as the luminous descendant of the sOmakula!

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

http://choti-moo-confessions-of-a-bigmo ... ns-in.html
"there was no temple dedicated to the Lord Krishna to whose vamsa, the Yadu vamsa, the Wodeyar dynasty traces its decent"
And we are told that Krishna is the lord of Chandravamsa (just as Rama belongs to Suryavamsa) - thus the Wodeyars do have their links to sOmakula.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

RC
Thanks. I second Shankar. The talk is as sweet as music. No need for a translation!

Now let us have a second round of the divine music. Also don't hold out on related historical details. Let us do some time travel.

And of course the related pictures of the Raginis that you have not posted yet (with the sanskrit shlOkas)!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

jayaram wrote:And we are told that Krishna is the lord of Chandravamsa (just as Rama belongs to Suryavamsa)
Interesting that kriSnA was born into the kula of sItA in the previous yuga!

When hanumAn describes the 'trailOkaya griha dampatI' this is how he starts to describe them alternately:

ayOdhya pura nEtAram
mithilA pura nAyikAm
rAghavAnAm alankAram
vaidEhAnAm alankriyA
raghUnAm kuladIpam cha
nimInAm kuladIpikAm
sUrya vamSa samudbhUtam
sOma vamSa samudbhavAm

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

rshankar wrote:Too bad they sang only one of the 3 sparkling charaNas that you had originally posted!
ravi, Last part of the charNa is always modified to incoporate the name of the King like chamaraja - krishna raja or jaya chamaraja .

Fuller version of the Anthem ( with King Krishna raja's name) can be d/l ( it is not as good as the AIR version) :

http://www.rogepost.com/n/3621823435

Wadiyar/Wodeyar/oDeyar claim their ancestory to Krishna.

As the folklore goes two young yadu princes from Dwaraka known as Yaduraya and Krishna were on a visit Yadugiri (Melkote) on a pilgrimage. Later they visited mysore and were staying in the kalabhiarva Temple (today, this is a small shrine next to someswara temple on the eastern side of the Myosre Palace fort) near the huge lake(dodda kere - which no longer exists). They came to know that the local king had recently died leaving his wife and daughter under the clutches of his army chief. Mara-Nayaka. On divine ordain of goddess chamundewari and a jungama they are said to have rescued the damsel in distress and the kingdom! Yaduraya married the young princess and was crowned as the new King. Thus chivalry and romanticism marked the beginning of Wodeyar dynasty which was founded in 1399.
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 26 Jan 2007, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Very nice! Thanks RC for that tidbit.
(On another note, Smt. Vyjayantimala Bali's paternal grandmother was called Yadugiri Devi/Ammal...wonder if she hailed from that part of Karnataka!)

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

rshankarji,

mahAlakSmI thAyAr at mElkotE temple or tirunArAyaNapuram or yAdavAdri or yadugiri is called yadugiri nAcciyAr. A lot of iyengar ladies in tamizh nADu, Andhra pradES, karnATakA have been given the same name. But in Vyjayanthimala Bali and her grandmother's case, IIRC they are from mAnDyA, near maisUrU.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

yadugiri, AKA mELukOTe, is in manDya disrtict of karnATaka. It is to here Ramanujacharya fled from Srirangam, and took refuge, and spent several years.

-Ramakriya

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Vaishnava Reformer Ramanujacharya fled from the persecution of the chola king early in the 12th century and took up residence at Melkote- Melukote- yadugiri and lived there for 14 years. It thus become the chief seat of Sri Vaishnava sect and reaped the benefit of the conversion by their apostle of the Hoysala King Biiti Deva - later known as Vishnuvardhana, in obtaining assignment of all the fertile tracts of the land in the neighborhood especially of the Ashta Gram on either side of Cauvery

Even today Iyengar’s from here are better known as Mandyam Iyengar’s. In the 17th century Iyengars faced persecution by Tipu and over 700 families are said to have been killed by him as Pradhan Tirumalaiyengar and his brother were in the forefront of saving of the ancient Wadiyar family from his clutches.

Read:

http://www.india-forum.com/articles/152 ... -&-kids%3F

Tirumaliengar family later settled in Chennai (even then known as chennai patna). (NDTV News anchor Sreenivasan Jain hails from this family - from the mother’s side). May be Vyjayanti Mala’s family were among the many who left Mandya - Melkote and settled in Chennai. (Even Jayalalita is a Mandyam Iyengar).

Vyjayanti Mala's mother, Vasundhara Devi was also an accomplished dancer and a Film Personality. During 1938 when Yuvaraja ( father of JCRW) visited Chennai for the Music Academy’s inauguration, Vasundhara Devi performed on stage and caught his attention and later she went along with her husband and young Vyjayanti on the last European Tour of the Yuvaraja in 1939. Yuvaraja always took a whole entourage of Musicians and dancers on his tour and entertained his guests with concerts and performance from his artists. Veena Venkatagiriyappa had to write many a compositions in Western notations to help them. On this fateful tour Yuvaraja was also accompanied for the first time by his wife, daughters and JCRW and his wife Satyaprema Kumari. Vasundhara Devi and even young Vyjayanti are supposed to have performed before the Pope on this tour. But as the World war broke out most of them had to return on a chartered flight. But Yuvaraja stayed on in Hague and returned much later and died at Anchorage (next to Taj Hotel) at Bombay.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

RC,
You are veritable treasure trove of information on Mysore/Karnataka history!

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Thank you Ravi -but not quite true !

Continuing with where i left:

Anent to the European Tour above mentioned, JCRW - hardly 20, newly married and without any inkling of the double tragedy which was going to befall on the family and the thought of shouldering the yoke of responsibility of ruling the state - was contemplating seriously of becoming a concert pianist ! During this tour he met Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninoff - a Russian composer, pianist, and conductor, one of the last great champions of the Romantic style of European classical music and was readily accepted by him as a pupil ! But it was not to be and the rest as they say is History.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

||atha mahAgaNapatidhyAnaM - mudgalapurANE||

hastIMdrAnanamiMducUDamaruNacCAyaM trinEtraM rasAdAshliShTaM priyayA sapadmakarayA svAMkasthayA saMtataM|
bIjApUragadEkShukArmukalasaccakrAbjapAshOtphalavrIhyagrasvaviShANaratnakalashAn hastair^vahaMtaM bhajE ||
- raktavarNaH

mahArAja shrI jaya chAmarAja oDeyara kRutigaLa shuddhasAhitya

kRuti : 1

|| shree mahA gaNapatiM bhajEhaM ||

rAga: aThANa (29 neya mELakarta dhIrashaMkarAbharaNadalli janya)
tALa: AditALa.

A: sa ri2 ma1 pa da2 ni3 sa
ava: sa ni3 da2 pa ma1 ga3 s ri2 sa

|| pallavi ||

|| shreemahAgaNapatiM bhajEhaM ||
|| shivAtmajaM ShaNmukhAgrajaM||

||anupallavi||

|| siddagaNasEvitaM vighnanAshakaM||
|| shIghravara prasAdadAyakaM ||
|| sadayaM kapila munivaradAyakaM||
|| gurusEvAsaktaM hEraMbaM ||shrI||

||charaNa - 1||

|| j~JAnamudrAlaMkRutaM moolAdhAranivAsinaM ||shrI||

||charaNa - 2||

||gajAraNyavAsinaM jyOtirmayaM upaniShatsAraM||
||paMchabhootAtmakaM siMdhoorapriyaM paMchamAtaMgamuKaM ||shrI||

|| charaNa - 3||

|| kAmEshanayanaahlAdakaM nAgaliMgavaraputraM ||
|| shreevidyA citprabhAnaMda rAjayOgIMdravaMditaM ||

...............ciTTe svra.......||shrI||

First composition of the composer .Composed on Aug 17, 1945

You can d/l :

http://www.rogepost.com/n/7098035703
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 29 Jan 2007, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

RC

Can u pl. check the rogepost link.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Meena,

i have u/l again and corrected the link . Pl check again. thanks

meena

Post by meena »

Works, thanks

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Great RC!
Do continue to post the pictures along with the kritis. What year was this picture?

What happened to the ciTTa svara?
Do you have access to the notes of these compositions prepared by JC himself? Can they be released?

meena

Post by meena »

What happened to the ciTTa svara?
ciTTasvara:
S, Snpdnpmp g,-mrs |r,, s rs, r, -m, -p, -n ||
SnSR, -MRS nRSn, S-d, |nS,, -R nS d,, pmp-g,-mpn ||

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Raja Chandra-avare
Welcome back to this thread after a long hiatus. God to see a renewed interest.
A request- when you post uploads, could you give a link to the earlier discussion on the kRti by myself and others. I would like others (And myself) to read the previous discussions again. Also, the lyrics are already posted, so can avoid repeating the same. Of course do keep your anecdotes and any new info coming, be it about the kRti itself or about oDeyar and his circumstances. Thanks for understanding.

For the athANa kRti. Here is the link for the lyrics (post 845) and previous discussion

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=145&p=34

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Raja Chandra: Thank you so much for rejuvenating the thread with posts of the krithis. Love to hear them while following the discussions. On the subject of this first krithi of the mahArAjA, since it is mentioned in the sAhitya, does this krithi specifically refer to the diety at gajAraNyam? Also, I have heard a a different wording of the anupallavi: Shr.tajana sEvitam. Is this also acceptable?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks meena

Good idea DRS, it is nice to revisit the old stuff in context. Besides we have the meaning for the kritis there.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Added this kriti to the wiki page (generated by arunk's editor)

http://www.rasikas.org/wiki/sri-mahaganapatim-bhajeham

-Ramakriya

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

ramakriya wrote:Added this kriti to the wiki page (generated by arunk's editor)

-Ramakriya
That' very nice . We could add the meaning of the kriti at the end given by DRS- in English offcourse.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ramakriya
Nice work! But I thought it was the accomplishment of Baraha! Rc could explain the potential of Baraha.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover,

you can do it with baraha too. Earlier, I had created a few wiki pages with baraha as well. But that involves more steps.

I should definitely give credit to our Arunk is that his utility can handle multiple scripts more easily than baraha can - with no changes in transliteration :) (as for as I have seen) since it's intention is to read/write the lyrics in one language in multiple scripts.

As an experienced baraha user*, I can say that baraha is a very useful editor meant for native readers/writers in a specific language. Baraha kannada users 'know' that the word candra has an anuswAra written in kannaDa, and intentionally transliterate it as caMdra; Similarly baraha tamil users will write the word kATru as kARRu. So, with these language specific transliteration schemes, which are not 100% compatible with each other always, a user may have to make some edits when he wants the text appear in a different script other than it's native language.

-Ramakriya

p.s: For an example of how we use baraha for our annual magazines here at Kannada Koota of Northern California, take a look at the following link.
http://www.kknc.org/?goto=about_magazine

This was the 2005 issue of Swarnasethu. Your's truly was the chief editor for the magzine in year 2006 - This issue has not made its way on the web yet :cool:
Last edited by ramakriya on 30 Jan 2007, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Suji Ram wrote:
ramakriya wrote:Added this kriti to the wiki page (generated by arunk's editor)

-Ramakriya
That' very nice . We could add the meaning of the kriti at the end given by DRS- in English offcourse.
Dear friends. I appreciate the interest and enthusiasm you all have in oDeyar and in my notes on his kRtis. At the same time, I want to make it clear that I Do Not want them to be copied and posted on Wiki or anywhere else. I have the intention of publishing these myself. Iam perfectly happy for people to give link to the discussion here at the forum; and also for the material to be shared privately for furthering interest in oDeyar and his kRtis so long as the interests are Non-Commercial. But otherwise, what I have discussed is as such my intellectual property copyrighted to myself.

Thank you all for your understanding and cooperation.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Agreed!
The discussion at JC thread as well as DRS thread are his intellectual property and his permission should be sought to copy or display in any other format. Of course a reference to the relevant thread can be provided without any ado! Let us all respect 'copy and intellectual property rights' which is the fundamental policy of this Forum!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ramakriya

Very nice indeed! You have done a lovely formatting. I wish I could read :)

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

From a sense of serendipity to what a pity.

I feel as though i do not belong here !

sorry folks.

good bye and thanks

raja
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 31 Jan 2007, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

!
?

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

CML..
my thoughts exactly...

Sridevi

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

raja chandra wrote:From a sense of serendipity to what a pity.

I feel as though i do not belong here !

sorry folks. good bye and thanks
??? I failed to understand your statement. I don't think anything expressed had be averse to your contribution so far. I guess Dr Shrikaanth has the right to publish his postings of the lyrics of JCRW krithis as it was quite an effort on his part in doing so for thread and yours the instrumental task of getting the audio up (of course, with contributors pitching in) .

bala747

Post by bala747 »

I think (From what I have been reading on this thread as a lurker) it seems that RC probably (mis?)interpreted DRS like this:

"You all are free to discuss the krithis and my explanations here only for non commercial purposes because I want to make some money out of it, seeing how popular this thread has become because of the detailed posts by me and RC"

(Please correct me RC if I am wrong)

I personally don't see why putting them on the Wiki, with due credit given would affect sri DRS in any other way apart from commercial, nor do I see how it would affect his claim to intellectual property (after all, it would be credited as his contribution, seeing that he hasn't registered them with a registering body as his copyright). While there is nothing really wrong with publishing them for money, and sri DRS is fully within his rights to do so, it might not go down well with some people here, like sri RC who has contributed a great deal with his posts and uploads in the earlier and later halves of this thread, and now probably feels cheated that while he is willing to share what he has in terms of time and effort for altruistic motives, DRS has been thinking of using it for commercial purposes. Personally I don't care one way or another what DRS or whoever wants to do with his/her posts about any topic.

However, I thought however that anything posted on a public forum that has not been already registered as a copyright, the post automatically becomes public domain, and hence I don't think Sri DRS has any legal right to stop anyone from merely cutting and pasting from one section of the board to another (forum to wiki). I don't think he can actually do anything about it. Anything posted in a public forum like this one without having already been copyrighted immediately negates the claim of being someone's IP a posteriori. If he had already registered it before posting here, then his posts would be copyrighted, if he has not registered it yet, it's not claimable as his "intellectual property" nor is it "copyrighted to (him)self". If he wanted to publish it he should not have posted it here first. He should have published it and THEN posted it here. In fact most forums prohibit expressly the posting of already copyrighted material anyway.

Copyright laws in most nations states that a work in public domain is someone's IP only when it has been registered as such by that person beforehand and a person cannot claim copyright on things that he has not registered with a body that governs intellectual property. In fact even if DRS were to register it in the future, the law is murky on how applicable it would be to things that have been done in the past. At best he can, as a moderator, remove the wiki posts AFTER he has published them or at least after he has registered the bits of information as his IP with the copyright registering body in the UK. Mere expression of an intention to publish is not a good protection. He should have published it first and then discussed it here as the copyright owner, rahter than the other way round because legally he has not much to stand on at the moment. Furthermore it would have at least made his intentions clear about wanting to publish his interpretation of JC's krithis.

DISCLAIMER: I am not questioning DRS's motives nor am I making moral statements that what he is doing is right or wrong or neither. I don't care one way or another. I am just speaking from a third person's perspective, and from the perspective of someone who dabbles in copyright law a fair bit. All I am saying is he should not expect people to not post on the wiki just because he wants to do something with them at a future date. Also, words like "copyright" and "intellectual property" have many connotations and implications, both legal and ethical, and he should have been mindful of them before using them here.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Bala

You have gone too far speculating on the motives and behavior of two fine gentlemen. Unloading the dirty linen from your mind is disgusting bordering on slander. The legal issues (if any) can be resolved by concerned lawyers. We are all grateful for these gentlemen for sharing their wealth of knowledge with us at this Forum. The least we can do is to be respectful of their privacy and acknowledge their rights to their own thoughts and materials. Kindly desist speculating and from unwarranted Freelance legal advice. THANK YOU

bala747

Post by bala747 »

cmlover wrote:Bala

You have gone too far speculating on the motives and behavior of two fine gentlemen. Unloading the dirty linen from your mind is disgusting bordering on slander. The legal issues (if any) can be resolved by concerned lawyers. We are all grateful for these gentlemen for sharing their wealth of knowledge with us at this Forum. The least we can do is to be respectful of their privacy and acknowledge their rights to their own thoughts and materials. Kindly desist speculating and from unwarranted Freelance legal advice. THANK YOU
I accidentally hit Report instead of Quote. Mods please ignore it.

CML please don't misunderstand me. LEt me explain.

I already mentioned that I have no intention of questioning the motives of anyone. I did explain that very clearly, and there is nothing wrong with DRS publishing his posts for whatever reason, and we have no right to speculate on the motives, be they commercial, social, political or anything, BUT his post about the porting to Wiki was open to interpretation. I already made that expressly clear. However, his post was open to interpretation, and words like 'copyright' and 'intellectual property' are very loaded words, open to different interpretations and connotations. I merely pointed out that DRS should have registered his posts first before claiming copyright. That would have made this whole issue moot. Otherwise, his post was open to interpretation, and I pointed out one way his words could be interpreted. There was nothing inherently wrong in my interpretation of his words and I did never stick it on to RC as if he said it, nor did I imply that that was EXACTLY what he thought. I preceded my statement with "I THINK", meaning to say this was my personal opinion, and not of anyone else, be they RC or DRS.

In fact I expressly also pointed out that RC probably (mis)interpreted DRS and even put a line requesting a correction if I was wrong. What further precaution was there to take against my intention being misunderstood? What was so slanderous about that statement? It was an innocent speculation that had nothing to do with the motives of persons in question. People misinterpret words all the time.

You accuse me of unloading 'dirty linen of my mind' and dispensing 'freelance legal advice', which I think is far more 'slanderous' and unbecoming of someone your age and stature to call me that without even trying to see why I said what I said. I never called any of them any names, and I certainly did not have any motive for 'slandering' them. I was just particularly upset that RC had stopped posting after DRS's post and tried to speculate why. There is nothing wrong with speculating, whether you personally like it or not.

DRS I know has every right to publish what he posts here, and if he wants to, good for him. I have no personal stake in it, and neither do I have any in RC. However, as a moderator, he should also realise that his posts can be interpreted by different people in different ways, and if he was not comfortable with people porting his posts, then he should have put a copyright notice on his posts as a signature or something. It would have ensured that there is no misunderstanding. His motives or RC's motives have no bearing on the discussion in any way.
Last edited by bala747 on 01 Feb 2007, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I think what DRS is saying is that he has provided the explanations to the kritis for the members of the forum to derive non-commercial use, and not for being copied without his permission at other places outside of this forum. There is nothing more to it. DRS is entitled to publish his explanations/translations of the kritis which he has taken time to provide.

If Shri Raja Chandra has taken it in any other sense, maybe DRS and RC should get together to clear the misunderstanding, if any misunderstanding exists. Let us stop the mediation which we are attempting here. They both know each other and AFAIK they are on good terms with each other, so they can clarify their apprehensions with each other.

The wiki can do with the song lyrics alone, or with translations having the permission of the translator concerned.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

CML

What RC did & Bala wrote are absoultely right. If DRS had made his intentions clear at the begining, then those who contributed could have had a chance to decide whether they should contribute or not. After so many people have spent their time & effort in contributing to this thread , suddenly DRS claiming copyright does leave a bad taste.

If whatever one posts in a public forum can be claimed to be copyrighted, then internet will no longer be a source of knowledge. The very fact one posts in a forum means that he is willing to share his knowledge with the world. Look at the amount of code available in software sites. If the authors had wanted they could have made some real money by selling those codes, but they had chosen discussion forums & interenet as means of sharing whata they know. That is the spirit of online forums where you share your knowledge with unknown people.

Compare this with the work being done by msakella in talaprastara thread wherein he is posting from from his copyrighted, published books for the sake of sharing.

Compare this with the work of coolkarni who shares his music with us all just for the sake of sharing. I know the amount of time & money he spends in collecting those rare gems.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Raju,

DRS has not prohibited sharing of his translations/explanations if its going to be for non-commercial use. He merely doesnt want it to be republished elsewhere without his permission. This does not relate to kritis of Wodeyar, but only to his explanations for the same.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

srkris wrote:Raju,

DRS has not prohibited sharing of his translations/explanations if its going to be for non-commercial use.
srkis

i am sorry if i look like nitpicking. but is transferring from the thread to wiki page commercial? That was the suggestion to which DRS replied. So it is clear that he doesn't want the explanations to be posted in our own wiki which accrues no commercial gain to anyone.

mohan

Post by mohan »

I agree with the comments rajumds. I can't see much difference between a Wiki and this forum. If I am writing an article on the Mysore Maharajah and am researching on google I can search for "odeyar maharajah" and come straight to this forum. If it is proper research I would source anything I used from here with a link to the site.

SSK

Post by SSK »

May be I missed it. But the following is a rendition of Mysore Maharaja's composition "SadhaSivamUpasmahe" in Raga Sarasangi , Adi tala by Prof. Mysore Sri V. Ramarathnam in 1985 at Bangalore Gayana Samaja. The accompanying artists vidwan M. Chandrasekar on violin and Sri Vellore Ramabhadran on Mridangam. Vocal support is by Smt. Uma Prasanna and Smt Sukanya Prabhakar

http://mysorevramarathnam.org/Concerts/ ... odeyar.MP3

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayachamar ... ar_Bahadur
Excerpt:
"He had intended to be a concert pianist and had been accepted by Sergei Rachmaninoff as pupil.But the untimley death of both his father the Yuvaraja Kanteerava Narasimharaja Wadiyar in 1939 and his uncle the Maharaja Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV in 1940 meant giving up all ideas of a Musical career,as he had to succeed the throne of Mysore."

Imagine that - Wodeyar as a disciple of Rachmaninoff! Western music's loss is indeed a great gain for the world of CM.

And a lovely picture of two royals together...

JC Wodeyar with Queen Elizabeth II

meena

Post by meena »

Excerpt:
"He had intended to be a concert pianist and had been accepted by Sergei Rachmaninoff as pupil.But the untimley death of both his father the Yuvaraja Kanteerava Narasimharaja Wadiyar in 1939 and his uncle the Maharaja Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV in 1940 meant giving up all ideas of a Musical career,as he had to succeed the throne of Mysore."

Imagine that - Wodeyar as a disciple of Rachmaninoff! Western music's loss is indeed a great gain for the world of CM.
If u had read the complete HHJW thread, u would have made note that we had discussed Sergei Rachmaninoff: read post #1212

harish.krishnan213

Post by harish.krishnan213 »

Can someone post the links to download his kritis? i found a few in this thread which are not working!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

HM the Maharaja with Kripananda Variar

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vodeyar and Variyar are on the left and right (!). In the middle is the then chief minister Bhaktavatsalam.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

July 18th is JCW's birthday.

Here is a link to a speech by Mahamahopadhyaya Dr R Satyanarayana.

http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2008/07 ... ra-odeyar/

(Translated by yours truly. This was posted earlier in this thread. Since there are a couple of thousand new members in the forum now, I thought this might interest those who had missed it the first time)

-Ramakriya

gowri

Post by gowri »

Can anyone please upload 'Kayo Sri Gowri' again?
Thanks.

SSK

Post by SSK »

I was told that couple of times a week, TV Stations in Bangalore are broadcasting presentations of compositions of wodeyar by various artists. The format of the presentation is something like lec-dem, wherein the artist presents a composition with explanation of meaning of Pallavi, AnuPallavi and Charana portions. I am wondering how some one not in Bangalore can get the see these broadcasts.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

SSK wrote:I was told that couple of times a week, TV Stations in Bangalore are broadcasting presentations of compositions of wodeyar by various artists. The format of the presentation is something like lec-dem, wherein the artist presents a composition with explanation of meaning of Pallavi, AnuPallavi and Charana portions. I am wondering how some one not in Bangalore can get the see these broadcasts.
That would be nice. I think the program's called "ShrIvidyA darShana."

In the meanwhile, watch and listen to Smt. nAgavalli nAgarAj, an exponent of oDeyAr kr.tIs, render some of them below. Thanks be to whoever put them up. They're also renditions of compositions of other composers as well.

1. ShrI mahA gaNapatiM - aThANA: http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQooH77ETY

2. sarasvatim bhagavatim - hamsavinOdini: http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ_Am7L461I

3. brahmANDa valayE - mAND: http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=yxMzOBo-aEw

4. cintayAmi jagadambAm - hindOLam: http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=tS0IHHL-o0Q